TNA Bound For Glory 2011

Ever since Hogan debuted, I've considered myself a TNA fan. A watch Impact whenever I can and try to buy most PPVS, I'm going to a live event in November, and I generally defend the product when it comes under attack by WWE marks. However, I do realise TNA has many flaws, and I do get frustrated when it’s defended unjustifiably.

I loved the first half of the show, and I loved the build to all the matches; it truly felt like everything mattered (which rarely happens in WWE), but the second half fell short in my opinion.

The women match went on too long for my liking, and I can’t understand how Velvet won when there weren’t any officials out there…the I Quit match was a huge disappointment considering the matches these two have put on before, and the whole Daniels murder thing was tad bit over the top. I thoroughly enjoyed the Sting vs. Hogan match, and while I marked out for the turn, the lack of logic behind it frustrated me. Just a couple weeks ago Hogan and Bischoff were trying to trick the fans with his whole fake retirement thingy (a pretty dick move) and now he’s all good? Why exactly? I know wrestling is rarely logical, but that insults my intelligence. They could have at least hinted at a divide between Hogan and Bischoff.

Now onto the main event. Of course unpredictably is a good thing to some extent (the title changes in WWE are a perfect example of writers are going over board), but not meeting expectations isn’t. This was TNA’s biggest show of the year, and the BFG was one of the biggest angles of the year - they should have ended as such. Yet, fans get a dusty finish after what was an average match? Let me ask you this, what did you think of Wrestlemania’s main event and the fashion in which The Miz retained? Because I think it was shit.

I don’t mind that the person I didn’t want to win won – that happens all the time. And I don’t mind that a heel won – I loved last year’s BFG. And I get that they want people to be pissed off at Angle -but they’ve made me pissed off at TNA (it’s like when WWE had Michael Cole win at Wrestlemania, made me stop for a while). As paying fan, I wanted to see a great ending to BFG and the BFG series. No matter how you look at it, that wasn’t a great ending.

That's a perfectly fair observation. It's a longer version of exactly what I said when it happened. If they were going to book this way then Hogan and Sting should have gone on last, because that gave us a PPV worthy ending.

If that's your objection then yout standing on solid ground. It's just the people throwing a fit a despair because Robert Roode did not become world champion and because a professional wrestling finish wasn't clean who need a stern talking to.

So then angles and storylines are never decidedly resolved? At least for the night? is that what you are telling me here? Sure, the bad guy can come crawling back on the weekly tv show.

But people put their money down to see the angle resolved, the bad guy get what is coming to him, and good prevail. For at least tonight, the bad guy eats shit. You tune in the next week to see what happens next, since this storyline structure is resolved, and a new, fresh face is leading things.

People lay their money for every PPV? Should heels therefore never go over?

If it comes out that it was an improvised finish, then ill back off of how shit it is, and chalk it up to another unfortunate bust of a situation for TNA, much like the Jeffy Hardy shenanigans

People lay their money for every PPV? Should heels therefore never go over?

for the highest grossing ones, the ones in which culminations and resolutions are expected. Thats why some are A shows, and some are B shows, and the B shows, in general, dont draw like the A shows.

Are we seriously having this conversation?

Im all for some heel victory swerves throughout the show.

Not in the main event, culiminating the main storyline.

My money is on it not being improvised. They were too close to the cut off point for the show.

Same bin as an injury finish then. Also still hilarious.

I had already thought some fat could be trimmed, especially if you are going to build your new top guy through the content of the match, and not through giving him the win.

Yes we're having the conversation, and yeah, that's one of the biggest reasons why I stopped watching the WWE and looked for an alternative. Because to a number of people telegraphing the result to a third of your PPVs leads to main events that are boring as shit.

A book is seldom interesting if you know the ending. Sport is seldom interesting if to know the result. Soaps are more exciting of the stories aren't widely known in advance, and I don't want to go into a pro-wrestling match already knowing who is going to win. Otherwise I'd just stick in an old DVD.

I'm fairly indifferent on the end of the title match. I thought it was interesting because it wasn't what you were expecting but can understand some people saying that is how you end the main event on your biggest show? However, if they are just saying that because they wanted/felt a Roode win was in order then I think that is a dumb reason.

I'm fairly indifferent on the end of the title match. I thought it was interesting because it wasn't what you were expecting but can understand some people saying that is how you end the main event on your biggest show? However, if they are just saying that because they wanted/felt a Roode win was in order then I think that is a dumb reason.

I don't think people felt that Roode should have won as much as some folks thought that it would either have been wiser to have him come out victorious, or it's just a possible solution to the fact that the show didn't really end on a special note.

It's worth pointing out that WrestleMania ALWAYS ends on a huge note. Just in the PG Era alone, you had Rock screws Cena, Taker ends Michael's career, Triple H beating Orton in one of the hottest feuds in a long time (too bad the match blew), and Taker overcoming the odds of Edge and La Familia and retaining at Mania.

All of these were monumental victories that either changed the landscape of the WWE or were powerful wins for the good guys. You can't say any of those things about BFG's main event. Angle beat the underdog, this doesn't change the TNA landscape, and the bad guy won, which while not a bad thing, doesn't create an epic moment the end of BFG deserves.

I think we can all agree that the show should have ended with Sting vs. Hogan. There's a million reasons why it shouldn't have ended with Sting vs. Hogan, but a few key reasons that overrule all of the nays, the most important being that it was a major match with real, visible consequences.

I don't think people felt that Roode should have won as much as some folks thought that it would either have been wiser to have him come out victorious, or it's just a possible solution to the fact that the show didn't really end on a special note.

It's worth pointing out that WrestleMania ALWAYS ends on a huge note. Just in the PG Era alone, you had Rock screws Cena, Taker ends Michael's career, Triple H beating Orton in one of the hottest feuds in a long time (too bad the match blew), and Taker overcoming the odds of Edge and La Familia and retaining at Mania.

All of these were monumental victories that either changed the landscape of the WWE or were powerful wins for the good guys. You can't say any of those things about BFG's main event. Angle beat the underdog, this doesn't change the TNA landscape, and the bad guy won, which while not a bad thing, doesn't create an epic moment the end of BFG deserves.

I think we can all agree that the show should have ended with Sting vs. Hogan. There's a million reasons why it shouldn't have ended with Sting vs. Hogan, but a few key reasons that overrule all of the nays, the most important being that it was a major match with real, visible consequences.

You forgot Cena cementing himself as the top dog by making Trips tap (and Mysterio's first ever world title win, but that wasn't the ME), Batista's first ever title win (Over Triple H) which had Cena's first ever right before it, and Benoit's first ever title win (over Triple H)

Also, the 23 win was Cena over HBK, Batista/Taker went like third

Are people really bringing up wrestlemania? A heel retained in the main event on a screwy finish, actually two different screwy finishes in the same match, in the wrestlemania I watched this year. Not sure what was landscape changing about the Rock doing that and then saying call me in 10-12 months.

BFG provided the requisite excitement and such moments throughout the show. Maybe if you can go back and change everything you put Hogan on last but that might make the show a tough sell to a lot of people beforehand. It is very easy to retroactively book these things and I did not hear many people saying Hogan must go on last before the show. In fact, most of you were saying we don't want no Hogan at all so it is kind of hard to take the complaint seriously now.

When you factor in what happened with the company preceding, an Angle win provides more storyline possibilities than a Roode win IMO. If Roode is going to lose this wasn't a particularly bad way to do it IMO.

Are people really bringing up wrestlemania? A heel retained in the main event on a screwy finish, actually two different screwy finishes in the same match, in the wrestlemania I watched this year. Not sure what was landscape changing about the Rock doing that and then saying call me in 10-12 months.

BFG provided the requisite excitement and such moments throughout the show. Maybe if you can go back and change everything you put Hogan on last but that might make the show a tough sell to a lot of people beforehand. It is very easy to retroactively book these things and I did not hear many people saying Hogan must go on last before the show. In fact, most of you were saying we don't want no Hogan at all so it is kind of hard to take the complaint seriously now.

When you factor in what happened with the company preceding, an Angle win provides more storyline possibilities than a Roode win IMO. If Roode is going to lose this wasn't a particularly bad way to do it IMO.

It has nothing to do with who won or lost and how it happened, it's about whether it was a monumental moment or not. The end of WrestleMania 27 wasn't special because Miz beat Cena, it was special because The Rock screwed Cena, and that meant that something else had to happen between the two of them. Sure enough, the next night on Raw the main event of WrestleMania 28 was announced, Cena vs. The Rock. It was a huge moment with a huge payoff, and it'll have an even bigger payoff in April.

What happened here? Did Angle's win over Roode set up the next huge angle? Is anyone drooling for another Angle vs. Roode match? Did anything really jaw dropping happen? No, it was just another feather in the cap of Kurt Angle, nothing more, nothing less. Yes, it leaves the possibility open for a future Angle and Roode match, but that could happen at the end of any PPV. This is BFG, and it needed to be a huge ending, and we weren't given one.

Then again, by next weekend nobody will care that BFG had a lackluster ending and people will just go about business as usual.

You forgot Cena cementing himself as the top dog by making Trips tap (and Mysterio's first ever world title win, but that wasn't the ME), Batista's first ever title win (Over Triple H) which had Cena's first ever right before it, and Benoit's first ever title win (over Triple H)

Also, the 23 win was Cena over HBK, Batista/Taker went like third

Those were pre-PG.

It has nothing to do with who won or lost and how it happened

Are we reading the same thread?

I do not necessarily believe that the most monumental moment has to end a show. In a lot of ways it is nice to be able to process the bigger moments still during the show. Personally, the most interested I have been in Roode during the whole last month came precisely as I was watching him react to losing the match. I do not see how Roode winning would have been monumental anyway.

Two and a half hours later this is still the dumbest fucking shit that I've ever seen happen at a PPV.

And I saw Victory Road this year.

Are we reading the same thread?

I do not necessarily believe that the most monumental moment has to end a show. In a lot of ways it is nice to be able to process the bigger moments still during the show. Personally, the most interested I have been in Roode during the whole last month came precisely as I was watching him react to losing the match. I do not see how Roode winning would have been monumental anyway.

That's horseshit. I'm sorry, I've been pretty polite in the rest of the thread, but that's absolute garbage. Every genre in every form of entertainment ends with some sort of point of high excitement or cliffhanger. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire doesn't end with Harry happily hoisting the Cup above his head, it ends with him worrying about the return of Voldemort. Two Towers doesn't end with the warriors of Rohan happily waving their flags in victory, it ends with the hobbits continuing on their path to a trap set my Smeagol (referring to the movie here). You don't end something on a relaxing note, you light a fire under the ass of the audience so they can't wait to see what happens next. There should be no time to digest, only time to get excited.

But anyway, I don't think Roode needed to win, nor do I think he should have. At the same time, who the hell cares about how Roode reacted to losing if he doesn't actually do anything about it? It's also not like this is a match anyone is dying to see again. Roode is a face (and I mean that in the most literal wrestling sense) in a crowd, and while he may be the one who finally lifts the belt off of Angle, I doubt anyone really sees him as the hero of TNA yet. Having a lackluster post-match moment didn't help matters for him either.

Every genre in every form of entertainment ends with some sort of point of high excitement or cliffhanger.

Untrue.
Fuck, what about all those Harry Potter books that don't end of big cliffhangers, like, you know... most of them?

Edit: I hindsight, not most, but around half of them.

That's horseshit.

No it isn't. You don't blow up the Death Star and then immediately roll the credits. Look up dramatic structure bro. It amused me that the wikipedia entry on that listed Lord of the Rings as a modern work that didn't simply just end with a quick surprise but had a long resolution. Climax, falling action, resolution isn't exactly some new fangled idea. Maybe it isn't over with the ADD generation but that doesn't mean it is bullshit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back