The Punk & The Anaconda

Viola Moonlight

I'm Literally Just Here for WZCW
One of the best things for CM Punk concerning his WWE career was turning heel and using his straight-edge gimmick, with a nice stable included. Creative really did do a job well done with the X-Society and Punk/Serena/Gallows are doing excellent in keeping it afloat amongst interest. However, I think there was one important aspect to CM Punk that the WWE have missed the boat in the long run that could have told much more of a story symbolically whilst wrestling in the ring:

The Anaconda Vice​

Since Punk's heel turn, this submission has hardly made any appearances. Last time I can recall, they re-introduced the move to take on Undertaker at Breaking Point. And it was a stupid mistake. Why?

1) It ties well into his gimmick - CM Punk goes around preaching to the world about the wonders of being Straight-Edge and that everyone should be converted to a cleaner, healthier lifestyle. Via the speaking aspect, it's done magnificently and we all understand. Where is that same passion within the ring? Where is that one defining moment that Punk can pull out at any given time to suggest this whilst wrestling? Knocking someone's lights out isn't the best solution in trying to convert people. To convert people, they must submit to you. Using the Anaconda Vise and having the opponents tap out symbolically suggests that they are submitting to Punk and his straight-edge lifestyle. At the end of the day, no matter what you say or what you intend to do, you are willing to fall to the Straight-Edge lifestyle.

2) Submission moves are a key aspect of being a heel - It's very rare for a face to consistently use submission moves when the stipulations don't specifically involve submissions. Sure, they will use them, but not in the same fashion as heels. One way to achieve being a heel is to methodically dissect your opponent so you can win by submission, which allows the crowd to get behind and care about the face, right? Well, since Punk's character and abilities suggest that dissection is the best choice when wrestling, the Vise can provide for some great spots during matches that can make matches that more exciting. Also a great way to extend his matches and provide for breathing time.

3) WWE's use/allowance of submission moves - As of recent, proper/finishing submission moves have been slowly creeping back into the fray (i.e. Dolph Ziggler and the Sleeper Hold, Shawn Michaels/Triple H and the Crossface). Having Punk jump on the bandwagon here would be an easy way for the WWE to add another active submission move on the list to make submissions more relevant.

These are but the main reasons as to why Punk using the submission is a positive influence. Not sure why WWE got rid of it as some stars like Chris Jericho use a submission as the secondary move when their primary finisher fails.

Do you think they should bring it back and does any of my points validate why they should? Please discuss.

I truly believe you have hit the nail on the head, FalKon. CM Punk, albeit his GTS move is fantastic, should really sharpen up on the Anaconda Vice. The first time I saw that move, I was steadily thinking "Wow! WWE is bringing back worthy submission finishers." But so far it hasn't been given the respect it deserves, and here is why:

Everytime I turn in to a CM Punk fight, if Punk wins, it's by the same finisher every...single...time. At least Cena pops in the STFU now-and-then. But I haven't seen the Anaconda Vice in months..it's sad really.

Now about the move being a twist with the character he is portraying now- Couldn't agree anymore. Maybe one day he will use that move in some stipulation similair to I Quit, like an I Join match? I could see that pulled off beautifully.

Straight Edge Society really does have what it takes to be the new anti-DX of its era. With CM Punk spitting pure gold on the mic, and the followers showing shades of a cult faction (like my namesake lol), this could arguably be a perfect time to push Luke Gallows and let him borrow the Anaconda Vice. If Punk won't use it, why not him?

Falkon, couldn't have said it better myself. Honestly I see the GTS as a beautiful setup for the anaconda vise...Just catch the arm as the opponent's falling from the GTS and lock it in. One other point you forgot to mention: CM Punk supposedly has a martial arts background. Add the Anaconda Vise and one or two other plausible submission holds (one of which should be some armbar variation to make the arm REALLY hurt when putting the Vise in.

And Raven, I agree, the big guy could use a submission hold...but I'd probably go with a modified camel clutch where the arms are trapped in a full nelson. Luke could be the "crucifier" of sorts. Just look at the 12th Step (or whatever he calls it these days). Doesn't that look like a crucifixion to self to you?

True, true. I haven't quite seen much of the Anaconda Vise myself. It's quite a unique move and, as you said, fits his gimmick perfectly. Adding to your point, he should look more trance-like when he does the vise in his current gimmick. That would make it seem as though he is doing some sort of "hypnosis" and we shall see if his victim can break out of it, or will submit to him.

To the OP, well said. I love CM Punk and I guess I live a sXe lifestyle myself. I don't preach about it but I know people that think like CM Punk. They think they are superior because of their choice to be sXe. His heel turn is working perfectly and his submission would fit the gimmick. He could even get into a submissions only match if he were to start using it more prominently. He could make it another recruitment match for his stable, like the one he just finished with Mysterio.

I wish he would use it more as well, It's such a pretty little thing he can hit without any warning, was really a fan when he first used it.

If he;s not going to use it would really like to see someone else use it.

He stopped using that move completely (besides on Taker) after the whole Chris Beniot Scandal. It's no surprise seeing as how the move was probably a tribute to how Punk looked up to Beniot and the crossface. They where supposed to fight the night Chris had his emergency trip home to commit suicide. ( A match that would have meant alot to punk) It probably scarred Punk a bit.

With that said, I would love for the anaconda vice to make a return. He should a few more moves to his move set to spice his in ring up a little too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back