The Matt Hardy Return/Hardy Boyz discussion

Harthan

Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
At the start of July, about four weeks ago now, Matt Hardy had surgery to repair a torn abdominal muscle, a surgery that takes about 8 to 10 weeks to properly recover from. At the time, Matt had just been featured in the blockbuster trade that sent him to SmackDown, from Raw. Matt's injury timing places him with the ability to return at or after the new Breaking Point PPV. So, how and when will Matt go about returning to action?

The crux of the matter is whether or not Jeff Hardy is still with the WWE at the time, which is a matter no one is entirely clear on. Sure, he's world champion now, but he could be sticking around for a SummerSlam payoff, and then out the door he goes. Assuming he does stick around, I figure that would probably mean he'll retain the world title for a few months, considering he's so over and is such a money machine for the WWE that keeping the belt on him for a few months is a great idea. Now, the problem here is that the Undertaker is also set to return right around the same time, but hopefully he does it AT the PPV, and with a non title feud (as he did last year). This will give Matt the opportunity to return at the SmackDown after Breaking Point, leading into Hell in a Cell, and probably in a world title program with Jeff. Clearly the WWE thinks a whole lot of Jeff, and their story was still a little open, considering Matt had screwed Jeff out of the world title at Judgment Day. I think a final payoff match inside the Cell (if, indeed, Hell in a Cell has every match inside of the Cell - I'm still not clear on it) between Matt and Jeff is a great money match, and win or lose would help elevate Matt as a main event heel, which SmackDown finds itself in need of.

However, if Jeff does not resign, things are a little hazier for Matt. I assume in the absence of Jeff, Punk will regain the title, and will likely feud with John Morrison or the Undertaker over it. In my estimation, Matt will feud with the person Punk is not. If the Undertaker goes after Punk, then I think we'll see a Matt vs Morrison feud as kind of a featured undercard contest, similar to Mysterio vs Jericho. It may, indeed, be over the IC Championship, although it wouldn't necessarily have to be. However, I think the better route to go would be for Matt to feud with the Undertaker in a non title undercard program. Feuding with Taker can do great things for a heel, if Taker's willing to put them over, and I think that Taker would do it for Matt. They also have an open issue, if you recall, since Matt ran away from his match with Taker on Superstars. It's not a big thing, but it can be used to initiate the feud, and run from there. The alternative program with Morrison isn't bad, but feuding with Taker could do wonders for Matt.

So what do you think? A Jeff feud, a Morrison feud, a Taker feud, or a feud with someone else entirely? Will Matt return before, after, or at Breaking Point? How and when do you see Matt Hardy making his SmackDown return?

I think Matt Hardy's return will be some type of surprise. I'm not exactly sure exactly how he will return, but I'm very anticipated. His 2.5 month run on Raw was full of disappointment, and I'm very anxious to see how he fares on his return to Smackdown.

If Matt Hardy does return, while Jeff is still in the company, then it's almost inevitable that they will probably have a another fued once again. Unless, Jeff has a couple months left on his contract, and then Matt returns. Then, we might have a match, Jeff vs. Matt for the World Heavyweight Championship, and if Jeff loses, he must leave WWE.

So, I think Matt Hardy's return will somewhat be determined by Jeff's Hardy decision, assuming that WWE still wants that fued to continue. Matt is due to return in another 4-6 weeks, and I believe that Jeff only has about 2 or 3 weeks left on his contract, at most.

Fueds with John Morrison and The Undertaker sounds like it would be great! We haven't really seen a Matt Hardy/John Morrison, besides that Hardys/M.N.M. fued we had in late-2006-early 2007, which was really Joey Mercury vs. The Hardys. I think they could have great matches with each other, with or without the Intercontinental Championship involved.

Matt Hardy vs. The Undertaker? We saw a little bit of this in late-2002, and it was okay! But now that Matt is a bigger star, their fued would be that much better. Although, I would prefer to see Undertaker in the World Heavyweight Title scene, but if Matt happens to be in the title scene as well, then more power to them!

The options are endless with Matt Hardy on Smackdown. I just hope that if Jeff Hardy does leave, Matt doesn't get lost in the shuffle, and being showcased. After his fued with Jeff ended at Backlash, and since screwing Jeff out of the title at Judgment Day, Matt hasn't really done anything good.

Well Matt was really on fire until he was drafted over to Raw; when he comes back he'll either feud with Jeff(assuming he hasn't left) or he'll probably be placed in a feud over the IC title. Hopefully he'll win the IC belt than hold it for a couple of months while feuding with Mysterio, Morrision, or Ziggler(if Hardy returns as a face), just to name a few. Then afterwords he'll finally be able to be pushed into the main event scene and hopefully win the WHC.

And a feud with him and the Undertaker would be interesting IMO.

Unfortunately, these scenarios may be wishful thinking at this point. It's very hard to say in my opinion how he will be used compared to how he should be used. I really can't see him getting an elevated push upon his return, even though I believe it is long overdue. I don't think Vince even wanted to bring him back in 2005, but he actually listened to his audience (which he claims to always do-that's bullshit!) and brought him back for the anticipated Edge/Lita feud and quickly squashed him somewhat afterwards. After all this time he may look at him similar to the way he looks at Christian; a good hand that doesn't have real star power/crossover appeal. I disagree on both points but I'm not cutting the checks so it doesn't matter. If he wants to keep him heel, an extension of the MH V.1 character should be implemented as it was quite over, just add that to this sinister, cocky heel that he has become this year. I really hope they do something soon, because just like his brother Jeff, people were close to not caring after seeing a guy get so close to the top and brought back down soooo many times. That's my take on things, and I'm seldom wrong.

the perfect way for matt hardy to return is to cost jeff the title at summerslam and then powerbomb him off the stage or something

ok first off matt hardy doesnt do powerbombs anymore, only ever to crewserweights and even then its rare, a twist of fate off the stage would have been more believable

f they make it seem like that is the reason why Jeff left the fans will hate him

apparently, these things were implied to have been done by matt hardy: jeff got ran off the road, the pyro exploded in his face, he was attacked on the stairwell before Survivor Series. then after all that matt cost him the wwe title and mocked the death off his dog by showing jeff the dogs collar. i doubt jeff would leave the wwe becuase of severe injuries sustained by a matt hardy powerbomb, never to come back to exert his revenge

he will get tons of heat
tons and tons
well if it was matt that cost jeff his job in the wwe then yes, he will get a lot of heat from it but that situation is very unlikely to happen.

He wont even have to wrestle for the following weeks after
just talk crap about it for the final couple of weeks
until he comes back

but what is he out to talk about? if he comes back 3 weeks before summerslam and tell jeff hes gonna take him out, jeff is not gonna walk up the ramp as champion (as i doubt they will wait for jeff to get up, recover, walk up the ramp and then show matt attack him) and turn his back to the stage where he is in perfect posistion for a sneak attack.
if anything he would get out of danger as soon as possible. knowing that matt is gonna attack him straight after the match

What about Matt vs Rey Rey? I actually think that's the most likely scenario. Everyone loves Rey, and Matt would catch a ton of heat if he were to say, cost Rey the title to Ziggler. No idea what his reasoning would be, but since when did anyone need a reason? Maybe he could form a little alliance with Ziggler for a while.

If Matt is ready to move around a little by Summerslam I say they should have him come out and cost Jeff the title. Then if Jeff has some more time, they could feud until the pay per view without having Matt go into action. That way, they could have him fully recover from the match. By this point if Jeff is still in the company, the could have a match at Breaking Point between the two, in a submission style match. Matt could lay on the Texas cloverleaf he sometimes uses, and have Jeff tap out. Matt could keep the pressure on, and look like Jeff has been torn apart. Then Matt can move on to whatever and Jeff could leave.

well hardy already came back, not really as a face or a heel. jeff got in his face but he didnt say anything. but he cost punk the title. so who knows how he will go. hardy is leaving after summerslam and matt might be ready for a mainevent push. i could see him taking jeffs place

If you just spoiled Smackdown for me then I hope you get infracted...:banghead:

I hope Matt returns and feuds with Undertaker because thats a feud I would like to see. I highly doubt they will instantly put him into the World title picture seeing as how he just came back. A feud with Morrison or Mysterio would be good as well. But the Undertaker thing sounds the best.

The possibilities are endless on SmackDown! for just about anyone these days with theat roster, but for Matt Hardy he could very well rise up now. The guys a hard worker and could be a heel for now until Jeff leaves. I think he can still be a good face too as SmackDown! doesn't have many faces to hold the fort. Jeff, Punk Jericho Undertaker and Morrison would all be great for him. Hell even Ziggler and Rey would be nice too. There's just soo much he can do there, you almost really can't go wrong over there.

Lets just hope and pray Matt gets used properly there!!!

When he returns, send the guy to Smackdown. His time on Raw was horrendous and Smackdown is a brand where Hardy can shine. I wouldn't mind seeing Hardy wind up feuding with Jeff again, though I think such a feud needs to be something that's pretty cutthroat. I'm hoping Matt's worked on his mic skills while he's been out, that could really go a long way with him.

On the other hand, whoever is WHC when SummerSlam is over, I'd kind of like to see them in a feud with the Undertaker. A feud with him could do wonders for either Hardy or Punk, both young guys in their prime and both sort of unproven over all as a world champion.

i am getting real excited about what the future holds for one matt hardy
he just posted his blog and it sounds like he's going to work his butt off to get back and be the best
after reading it i really think that when he comes back it will be the final push he needs to get into the championship picture
you guys should check it out

after watching this weeks smackdown it looks as if matt's gonna make a face turn.since jeff is taking time off i assume he'll be dropping the belt to punk at summerslam.likely they'll have punk "injuring" jeff to explain his being off tv.matt will make a run-in and fight punk off.personally i wouldn't mind seeing matt get some shots at the world title.don't know if they'll give him a run but i wouldn't mind seeing it.

it looks that way doesn't it
maybe they will even play it off like jeff thinks so to
but I think this is a way for them to suprise every one
know will then be expecting it when he stabs jeff hardy in the back one last time before Jeff leaves
and what better place then summerslam
that would give matt a ton of heat

is there absolutely no possibility of a 're-unification?' of The Hardy Boyz. ( i did only start watching WWE again in April, so im not sure how serioust the split was.) This maybe wishful thinking but it seems WWE are trying to push Tag Teams what with Triple H trying to re-unite DX, Chris Jericho/ Big Show and Cryme Tyme being given a big push at the moment. Also, listening to a podcast interview with Jeff Hardy he said he would definitely choose a Tag Team over singles fighting, so maybe WWE is trying to keep him at WWE by giving him what he wants, Tag Team. I can't see how they would lose Jeff the title though. (just my wishful thinking though) :)

it was an all out bitter fued
it was basicly implied that matt killed jeffs dog, burned down his house, ran him off the road, burned him with the pyro, and he cost jeff the title
i highly doubt they would do all that to make matt a heel just to turn him face months later

it was an all out bitter fued
it was basicly implied that matt killed jeffs dog, burned down his house, ran him off the road, burned him with the pyro, and he cost jeff the title
i highly doubt they would do all that to make matt a heel just to turn him face months later

Exactly, it was IMPLIED.

They could easily say that Matt took credit for all those things because he was so jealous of Hardy and wanted to fight his brother to prove he was better. Knowing that Jeff wouldn't fight him under other circumstances, he took the blame for all those things.

Now...you could easily spin this into being Punk's doing all along and he wanted to get rid of Hardy even back then (so the fans won't have to see this drug abuser on the biggest show of the year), but chose not to unveil himself when he saw Matt step in and all that. This could make Punk a even bigger heel and make a Hardy brother reunion more realistic and believable.

(So basically, other than costing him the title, Matt did not do any of the other things but simply made Jeff think he did.)

Well im gonna dismiss two ideas that have been mentioned. Firstly on this smackdown he helps jeff with a quick pin therefore, i would seriously doubt a rivalry with jeff. Secondly Rey has been promised a long championship run after getting angry with creative earlier in the year therefore i dont expect him to enter into that. I think a matt v John Morrison rivalry could be on the cards.

If Matt turns face a feud with Punk over the World Championship would be good avenging his brother and shit. But since he screwed him out of the title at Royal Rumble and tried to kill him three times I don't see how that would make sense. If he stays heel which he should I'd like to see a feud with Morrison or Undertaker.

If this is a face turn for Matt, then he finally may be a serious contender for the World Heavyweight Championship. He could possibly square off against Punk and Morrison in the ME, granted if that's the direction creative takes. There is plenty of room for him, and his experience and time in the WWE can help him rise above the other talents on Smackdown.

But just because he helped Jeff out in one match doesn't qualify as a face turn. After he helped Jeff, he sulked off stage with that grim expression, rather than jump around the turnbuckles throwing his "Hardy symbol" up in the air. As said before, his reasoning could be that he wants Jeff as champion so he has a shot at beating him at Summerslam. Maybe he was genuinely pissed at Punk for kicking him in his stomach, the reason he had taken so much time off. Either way, I think we're going to see good things for Matt by Summerslam. I've always wanted him in the main event scene, and this may finally be his time and place to step up.

While a face turn is what looks like is gonna be happening on the surface, I have a feeling the WWE might actually keep Matt as a heel. His conduct for the WHC match on Smackdown is something that he could explain away: If anyone's going to beat my brother for the World Heavyweight Championship, it's going to be me. At this point in time, Matt's involvement in the WHC situation could be an indication that Jeff is going to stick around after SS.

The fact is the whole situation with Matts career is simple, he has had ups and downs especially at this time, he has gone from being a headliner on ECW, to upper midcard on smackdown back down to jobber on Raw, he was then thrown on the injury list and now is back on smackdown, the fact is Matt needs to put the work in within the smackdown brand to actually have the fans take notice of him again, because now more then ever he will be starting where his brother left off hopefully with a break out feud with Punk he will then establish himself as the brands top babyface, but again its upto the creative team and with WWE's current young star direction and also Matts best friend the hardy lover aka michael hayes on the creative team on smackdown he may even get pushed to the moon.

But only time will tell.

Well im gonna dismiss two ideas that have been mentioned. Firstly on this smackdown he helps jeff with a quick pin therefore, i would seriously doubt a rivalry with jeff. Secondly Rey has been promised a long championship run after getting angry with creative earlier in the year therefore i dont expect him to enter into that. I think a matt v John Morrison rivalry could be on the cards.

yeah that can easily be explained
he got kicked by cm punk
he got super
and he cost punk the title
doesn't mean that calm matt hardy wanted jeff to win

its just like when shawn michaels cost taker the title at the 97 summerslam
he helped out bret on accident but that didn't mean that shawn didn't still hate bret
it even led them back to each other by survivor series

I think it's a little early to call which way Matt is going to go on this one. One might say that perhaps durring his injury he's done some soul searching and has decided that he needs to try to mend some fences with his brother. One could say that his actions in the Punk/Jeff match were a kind of overture to that, an offer to at least bury the hatchet. Frankly, I think Matt could be a very good babyface again, but perhaps as a more mature and serious one. He's done the punk-kid thing for a very long time, even in his heel times, and most recently he's been something of a whiny child...that is up until his injury. Perhaps it's time for the kid-Matt phase to end as he enters into long-delayed adulthood.

However, one could also say that Matt only took the actions he did because he knew how Punk would react. If that were the case, one could make the point that the only thing his absence has done is make him even more devious and more malicious in a cold and callous way. I could see him making it his mission to make his brother's life hell in far more subtle and far-reaching ways and even being the instrument of Jeff's ejection or destruction. We've all heard that Jeff will be leaving soon, at least for a while (more than likely to do with his marriage plans in my opinion), so some way will have to be found to bump him out of the WWE for a while. The return of his brother is rather convenient for it. Could go either way, but I'm definately interested in seeing what happens.

I think Matt will return to the smackdown midcard. They have reely been growing as of late and i reely think that he could be a valuble edition to the locker room. Matts always been good for Smackdown. A show that has always focused on the wrestling and purley that. I would put him in an IC title match with whoever is the champion at that time and see how he holds out. If the WWE plan to make him a huge heel through then they cannot send the guy to RAW! His run was hirendous and luckily it ended when it did.

If Matt can reely improve his mic and promo skills he could be a great candidate for a main eventer one day. What i would like to see would be Matt coming back with the smae attitude he had in 2005 and attacking CM Punk. Assuming he gives Jeff a "carear threating injury" have him come back and say some stuff like, how dare you attack my brother, or ...er...you get what i mean.

I think that fued with jeff, the win over him at wrestlemania, the events that happend past smackdown, and lack of main eventers on smackdown are plenty of reasons why matt hardy should at least be in the main event scene.

Haveing him put in the the mid card would be just ******ed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back