Ted DiBiase Jr. another wasted talent?

As you may know, since Legacy split Ted has been using his father's gimmick. The rich snarky punk, but almost for a month it went stale quick. No one booed or even cheered when Ted entered the ring. Which is a real shame considering because I predicted him to have a brighter future than his old Legacy partner, Cody Rhodes.

However Cody has hit pay dirt with his gimmicks and his ring work has sharply improved while Ted has hit a slump in his WWE career. Could Ted change things around and make him self a force in the WWE? He has the look, he does have ring talent that is underrated in my opinion. All he needs is a new gimmick, and perhaps a face change.

What Ted can do is have his money taken from him. Have Maryse swindle it from under him and crushes Ted, who have became in love with Maryse. Maryse then moves on to a new man, maybe perhaps Alberto Del Rio. The now poor Ted, learns how hard it is to live without all the money he had and slowly builds his way to a fan favorite and gets the rub from Del Rio he needs to become a legit superstar.

Hey, if no one likes my idea on how to book Ted, it's better than him sitting around with his current, bland, plain gimmick.

Give him an old school face turn. Have him break away from what he's been doing, tout that money's gotten him nothing true, everyone only liked him because he had money, Maryse was only with him for the money. It's simple, and maybe with Cody sticking heel, they could feud.

Maybe the old school stuff wouldn't fly though?

[EDIT: What if Ted turns, and essentially spits in his father's face. DiBiase Sr then allies with Cody, and Dusty backs Ted?]

I agree Ted's gimmick is sour... I think they need him to start the new Million Dollar Corp... Make them fued with the corre and nexus... Make the new million dollar corp the ultimate Face group or the ultimate heel group... One way to make it work is to bring back the original Million Dollar Man like Ric Flair did with Evolution and be the leader!! It would work look at what it did for everyone involved with evolution!!

What Ted can do is have his money taken from him. Have Maryse swindle it from under him and crushes Ted, who have became in love with Maryse. Maryse then moves on to a new man, maybe perhaps Alberto Del Rio. The now poor Ted, learns how hard it is to live without all the money he had and slowly builds his way to a fan favorite and gets the rub from Del Rio he needs to become a legit superstar..

Teds on Smackdown now so couldn't happen with Alberto but I do like your idea. I think what he needs is a long term fued with a legit star. They tried it with Goldust but that was never going to work.

My pick is Sheamus, with both of them being on Smackdown they could have a long running fued over the US title. Have Ted be the face and say he's fed up of waiting for his chance, he's just going to take it. He could start interfering in Sheamus's matches etc.

Booking 101 but thats what he needs in order to get over.

I dont think its a bad idea
Ted just needs something original
The Million Dollar Man has been done but the Million Dollar Man goes broke and has to work his was not only back to the top but back to his fortune is a great idea
The best part is that it can be used as a Heel or Face
He either claws his way to the top honorably by hard work and connections he develops or he cheats and swindles his way to the top by any means necessary

i like ted but i always knew that cody was better. when he first came in i saw alot of potential in him. he actually reminded me of orton and sure enough he was put in legacy. when everyone was saying ted would be the breakout one i was annoyed because i wanted cody to be. and thank god he was. do you really think ted could have a storyline like cody has? no way. i hope those who still have hope for him have it for the sake of ted and not so there will still be a ted-cody debate again lol
but if ted does get a deserved (not well deserved) push then good for him. but i think it has to be a slow one. not nearly as fast as cody.

I think it's clear that Ted has made someone unhappy in the corridors of the WWE.

Very few with his pedigree have fallen so far in such a short space of time. From being a part of Legacy and being discussed in the corridors of WWE as a being a very strong candidate to be World Champion, to losing to Mark Henry on Superstars in a relatively short space of time is astonishing. There is much more to this than what we know.

I agree that his character needs a radical rethink but the way he has been dropped like a stone makes me think that is much more likely that he will soon be "future endeavoured" and off to TNA, rather than making the effort of re-packaging him.

Cody Rhodes is just happy to be in the WWE, whatever is thrown at him and that is why he is making headway. When I look at Ted, I don't see the same passion and love for the business.

Ted is kind of pigeon-holed with the gimmick he has now. He is a DiBiase for christ's sake! Flaunt the fact he has money. Have him buy matches, make him give a fan money to leave, have him buy championship belts. Don't job him out every week and ignore everything you gave him in the beginning of his tenure as a single's star. There are so many things WWE can do with him. He doesn't necessarily need to have excellent promo skills to make offers to buy things from people and flaunt his money. The money gimmick will speak for him. Have him adopt the whole "money talks, bull(pause) walks".

It's not Ted's gimmick, it's WWE not doing anything with his gimmick. There's so much that could be done - and they were on to something when they brought back Virgil - but as mentioned previously apparently he's pissed the wrong people off or something.

I like the idea of Mayrse dumping him, but it doesn't have to be for anyone in particular, she could just see him as a failure. But don't stop there, have his dad show up with the million $ belt and tell Ted he's ashamed of him and the belt and the Dibiase fortune is going to his younger brother Brett (who's probably a better fit for the fortunate son gimmick anyway). Finally have Ted at his lowest point runs into Cody and says he sympathizes with Cody losing the thing that made him special, his "dashing" looks. Cody goes irate and decides he wants to destroy Ted. After a match with, let's say Daniel Bryan or Sin Cara, a match Ted loses, Cody comes out and repeatedly headbutts Ted in him, trying to destroy his face, saying "he doesn't know what's like to lose everything, but he will". This can set up a feud between Cody and a now face Ted Dibiase who is refocused and deadset on making his own name.

Dibiase is a dropped ball. He was clearly the better of the 2 and still could be but for whatever reason either management don't like him, maybe Ted sr chucked a spaz or Ted jr much like a Shelton Benjamin just doesn't give enough of a shit to be considered worthy of a push

Easy, just stick with the Million Dollar Man gimmick, he has the same inring talent as his father, just needs to work on mic pressence.

Personally i can't stand Cody Rhodes but atleast he's doing something noticeable and is making the best of what they are giving him.

as for others claiming its all WWE creative's fault, you don't work there you don't know what he's like offscreen, maybe he's a prick and selfish and refuses to do what they offer.
Just saying... Someone else mentioned in an interview wont say who, that the issue's are not all creative but a mix of that and the young talent in general refusing to "earn" there spot, refusing to train, refusing to spend time studying there craft and then bitch and moan that they aren't getting used when in reality it's cause few people give a shit about they way they portray there character so they have nothing for them.

ted would be doing great right however maryse is banging the miz and she wants to work with him. an she knows wwe wont fire her as long as she is with him so she screws over ted until she can get what she wants. oh alex was drafted to smackdown so it shouldnt be long now.

Man why you gotta hate on Shelton; he was a far more skilled in the ring than Dibiase is; his problem was a lack of mic skills that doesn't means he didn't care, but I digress. I too really thought that Dibiase was gonna be the breakout star between he and Rhodes. But once they were separated, I began to notice something that was surprising to me. Rhodes is actually better than jr. He's more fluid in the ring and has more charisma. The other problem with jr is that he kinda got his dad's gimmick; that's a killer because no one can work that gimmick like Ted sr. I would like to see him in a gimmick where he hit rock bottom and tghe trust fund is gone, or he become this overlyzealous philanthropist kinda like in the movie Brewster's Millions where Richard Pryor was trying to spend all of his money on purpose.

I have an idea that could heighten 3 careers at once. First, WWE would have to build Ted up a bit by having him beat a few mid-carders legitimately (Evan Bourne, Zac Ryder, Kofi Kingston, etc.). As he begins to pick up wins, he starts to build his self-esteem and wins Maryse back. He'd shower her with extravagant displays of affection with his money after every match, and convey his love for her. Creative's goal would be to turn Ted & Maryse into a likeable couple as he begins to rise up the card. An easy way to generate popularity for Ted would be to have him give money away to the crowd (or to audience members in contests that fill air time).

Eventually, Ted would earn a shot at the IC/US title, preferably held by Rhodes. The old history between Ted and Cody would provide a nice backdrop -- former disciples of Smackdown's top face, Randy Orton, making their way up the ladder. Orton could even give both stars a rub by having a few backstage segments with the two superstars, telling them he is "interested" in the outcome of their match. If RKO is champion at the time, you could even have Rhodes and DiBiase state that the IC title isn't the only championship they're after (followed by an intense stare down, to initiate a potential feud down the line).

During the match, you'd have DiBiase about to close for the win, but Maryse double crosses him. She'd say that she was only with him for the money, she always thought he was a loser, and that she wants to be with a winner. Maryse is a great Diva heel, but with Kharma's debut soon, she'd simply be irrelevant as a competitor. Her talents are better suited to greasing the feud between Rhodes and DiBiase. The history between the two is great, but having them fight over a beautiful woman makes things personal and more interesting. It also connects with the crowd... either we all want Maryse, or we've had a girlfriend do us evil like she did.

At this point, Cody should have shed his current gimmick, and reverted back to the cocky handsome heel. He'd be neck-deep in his own glorifications, bragging about how he has his looks back, the girl, the IC title, and that in a very short amount of time, he'll have the world championship as well. During the promo, Randy Orton would appear from behind and simply smile at Rhodes... telling him he shouldn't count Ted out so easily, and even if he did manage to beat Ted a second time, that he would want to avoid being "kicked in the skull."

The program for the next few weeks would be Maryse and Cody embarrassing Ted, but he'd gain the upper hand. Perhaps have a backstage skit where Ted flashes his money at enforcers to beat up Ted, or lure Maryse into a trap with expensive jewelry sitting out in the open (lol). Limit the in-ring competition as much as possible, since both superstars still need to develop a wider moveset -- not to mention that repeated matches between the two would become dull after awhile. You always want Cody to have that "one win" over Ted until the feud comes to a close.

Inevitably, Ted would win No. 1 contender for the IC title once more, and this time win. He'd also get some sweet payback on Maryse in some form (having a diva friend attack her or something). You'd have Cody demand a rematch for the next PPV in some sort of gimmick match, but he'd lose again. At this point I think Cody should have earned a push for Main Event status, while Ted holds a respectable title run and continues to hold popularity by using his money to please the crowd.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I probably put more thought into that than I should, but it's an idea I've had for awhile and I just needed an outlet to write it all down. The fact that all of Legacy are now on Smackdown is a perfect opportunity to do something with all three of them, and it couldn't hurt to have Maryse paired with a future Main Eventer to heighten her career while she isn't wrestling. =)

The Del Rio storyline sounds like it could really work, but with Del Rio's new fame, they wouldn't feud in the near future. Which could be too late for Ted when he desperately needs an immediate solution.
i was really looking forward to seeing him start the stable the Fortunate Sons: Ted, Brett Dibiase and Joe Hennig (poor Michael Mcgillicutty).
He needs to shed the million dollar gimmick and get something original. His dad only made that gimmick because of his personality (which Ted hasn't really shown personality).
Cody was given a stupid gimmick and made it his own and not as stupid. Just like his dad did with the polkadots, and Dustin with Goldust.
Ted and Maryse had no chemistry at all. Even kayfabe, they still couldn't pull off looking like a real couple. And that's not from Maryse only being with him for his money.

Ted has potential and the looks to be a very over face and could be huge if given the opportunity. Maybe Smackdown will be the opportunity. There he'll have a new setting with new writers that may know what to do with him. Cody Rhodes went there and is now he's a top heel. Or Ted may sink even worse into Superstars waters, but i hope that won't be the case. He hasn't had enough time on his own, yet i think The Fortunate Sons would still be the best for him.

Cody is able to change his gimic being a 2nd Gen Wrestler cause Dusty Rhodes was the common man, which basically allows cody to be billed as alomost anything or anyone, much like his half-brother Goldust.

Ted Dibiase will always be the "Son of the Million Dollar Man" which makes it really hard to repackage him. And really Dibiase's thing went stale a long time ago, Which is something that Ted Sr. never had a problem with.

I guess that Cody just has more flexibility over what his character can become, whereas Ted does not have many other options, if they want to get his career out of the gutter, they really need to move Brett up to the main roster.

I'll be honest, I always thought Dibiase would be a career long mid carder. Not bad but a good midcarder who would the US and IC titles but never a world title. Then progressivly I saw him get worse and I began to noticed all of his flaws, what set it off was what I saw live. I went to Elimination Chamber this year and the first match we saw was Ted Dibiase vs Daniel Bryan, that match showed me how horrible his in ring work is. Bryan carried him quite well but I dont know if anyone couldve made this guy look good. Not only that but his mic skills are mediocre and his gimmick is so goddamn boring. I thought they had finally made an improvement to it when they paired him up with Maryse but the gimmick is so done there really isnt any way to reignite it. I am going to say the only way for him to have any success is drop it, drop the gimmick. I dont care if his gimmick is rebelling against his dad and having to be know as The Million Dollar Man's son, anything to get him out of the funk he's in. If that doesnt happen then he's done and it wont bother me at all.

I'll be honest, I always thought Dibiase would be a career long mid carder.

I agree, and am surprised that so many folks seem to think so much of him. I have no problem with the guy, but believe that he simply doesn't possess the charisma to make him more than a useful "opponent." Given that he was handed the same "Million Dollar Man" role as his father, it's hard not to compare them.......and there's no comparison. I remember Ted Sr. in his prime and the power of his personality simply took over the whole stage. Ted Jr. just can't match that.

I really thought his pairing with a knockout like Maryse (no pun intended, TNA fans) would be the vehicle that put Ted over, if anything could. But, even as obnoxious a couple as they made, I just couldn't sustain any interest in him, though I tried.

I don't know how Ted Jr. feels about the idea of being a quasi-jobber for the rest of his WWE career, but I honestly think that's where he belongs. There are still interesting, useful things he can do in the role.

I disagree. I wouldn't consider Ted DiBiase a talent. In fact, I think he is bad in the ring, and only average on the mic. If you're seeking to re-make another John Cena, he might fit the bill (but he should probably hit the gym more, if that's the case).

It doesn't matter to me if he's winning or losing, my problem with him is that he didn't have any good matches with anyone.

I am really dissappointed to see who could be potentially one of the best in the business wasted like he is just now.

Would like to hear ideas from everyone on what should be done with him to get him back in the spotlight, what storylines should he get involved in? who would he work well with for a rivalry/feud? What gimmicks/characters could he inherit??

Want to hear an idea from me?

Here goes: don't give him any share of the proverbial spotlight. If he squirms and does roughly what Zack Ryder or even Cody Rhodes did, then by all means push him to the stratosphere.

My point? If Ted DiBiase needs the spotlight so badly, he should work overtime, especially on cutting promos.

Break up the Nexus, move a couple of guys around and slowly start to build Ted up again by having him start that Fourtunate Sons stable that was rumored a little while back. Ted and Brett Dibiase, David Hart Smith and change McGillicutty back to Joe Hennig. Could work if booked right

Does anyone believe Teddy being Cody's "lacky, bitch, whatever" will help him?

Based on the segment last night I think I know where they are going with this. Cody said it last night, Ted had all the potential in the world but has become a wilted shrub. Maybe Cody has taken pity on his friend. He is deciding to help him out. Which of course lead to Cody treating Ted like crap, Ted getting fed up, Ted turning face. Or they could remain a duo with the potential to run Smackdown/or become Unified Tag Team Champions. Either way I see Cody helping out his former Legacy bandmate.

I smell a SummerSlam Match or WrestleMania match!!
Cody Rhodes is helping Ted DiBiase and in the same time, being pushed...

Cody Rhodes vs Ted Dibiase - WrestleMania XXVIII or SummerSlam 2011

I can see him being partners, Cody being the leader and Ted a slave...
Until Ted realises that he can be better, turns babyface and destroys Cody Rhodes, being both pushed to the limits, and Cody Rhodes draft to RAW after that to become WWE Champion!

Ted will manage to stay relevant with an IC Run or whatever xD

Ted is not as good as people make out same with cody, the best they did was with legacy. The best thing for them is to reunite and become tag champs that is as far as I see them going

honest to god, ted dibiase really sucks. he is bad inring and on mic. a terrible heel or face. he needs someone to carry him. however what happened last night on smackdown, that was rather stupid. i dislike ted but him joining with cody, is an awful idea and this will just bury ted dibiase even more. i dont feel that he is solid in the ring and kinda hope that the wwe fires him as he is just sitting there and then just randomly showing up and then disappearing again, plus ted isnt exactly a big draw so what does it really matter? ted dibiase sr was the solid one, but dibiase jr, he just doesnt make the cut but thats just my own opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back