Ted Dibiase Jr.: Million Dollar Champion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's...Baylariat!

Team Finnley Baylor
Think about this for a second. We all remember Ted's father, the Million Dollar Man's belt. It was awesome. And he wore it to the ring all the time, proclaiming himself the Million Dollar Champion. Now, lets say Ted Jr. goes his own way, but stays heel. What a concept it would be to bring back the Million Dollar Belt. He could come out, challenge random wrestlers to fight him for the belt and make his storylines interesting. It would be great. Now, this doesn't mean Ted Jr. has to become the Million Dollar Man. It means that he could keep the tradition going and create an interesting angle with a nostalgic feel. It worked for Stone Cold Steve Austin. The Ringmaster was Million Dollar Champion for a while and then he moved on to bigger and better things. Same could be said for Ted Jr.

What do you guys think? Would this work? Would it suck? Why and why not?

I've said in the past, I think this is a great idea. I'm a huge MDM mark, and the Million Dollar Belt was awesome. Giving his son the Million Dollar Championship would be a huge rub, and just fun. It might even make DiBiase Jr. the new Million Dollar Man, and that's something I'd love to see.

I loved the MDB. It was so different than anyother belt and was a great heat magnet. While I would love to see it, wouldn't this be against the "Priceless" gimmick?
What if Ted broke away but as face and cody got the million dollar belt? I think that has a better fued potential than just Ted coming out with the thing.

I loved the MDB. It was so different than anyother belt and was a great heat magnet. While I would love to see it, wouldn't this be against the "Priceless" gimmick?
What if Ted broke away but as face and cody got the million dollar belt? I think that has a better fued potential than just Ted coming out with the thing.

It would make no sense. Ted Sr. hates Dusty Rhodes, hence can't stand Cody, neither. It'd make more sense to have Orton come out with the belt. Maybe have Ted Sr. bring the belt to the arena, have Orton punt MDM in the head, and steal the belt. Talk about heat.

I've thought this was a great idea for awhile now. I was actually kind of hoping that he would have given it to him when he came in and guest hosted raw. It would have been really cool to see.

I think they could bring it back in a variety of ways. Personally I think they should bring Ted Sr. Back and let him mange Priceless for a bit, then give Ted Jr. the belt. That would cause Orton and Rhodes to get jealous and turn on him and steal the belt then have a big match up between Ted and Randy were Ted wins and takes the belt..

Hey I'm all for it, Ted needs something to push him into upper midcarder status. He could feud with Cody and Orton with the MDC aswell. Have him leave Legacy and be on his own which he should be. Legacy is hurting him more then helping him. Ted can wrestle and with improvements be good on the mic aswell. The MDC could help his character get over well with the fans then this priceless crap gimmick. I see Ted as a future World Champion in WWe. Maybe if Taker can hang around for 3 more years, at WM2012 Ted can beat him, if Ted is by then close to being a main eventer.

The last thing we need is more worthless belts. If you want to put a belt on Ted, give him the US or IC strap and get him on track to be a future World Champion. But don't bring back a worthless belt like the Million Dollar Championship when you can barely book your second tier and tag belts correctly.

Excellent idea. Legacy has run its course, anyway. DiBiase desperately needs to break away from Orton and Cody Rhodes (who is the weakest link of the trio, in my opinion) and establish himself. Putting the million dollar belt on him would be the way to do it. As million dollar champ, he'd have to resume playing the heel like his father so perhaps he could turn on Cody, leading to a feud between the two while Orton goes off and does his own thing. DiBiase Jr. seems capable on the mic, but for extra measure, put his father in as his manager to serve as a heelish mouthpiece. The father-and-son could even bring back those segments where a "fan" participates in a contest to win money (like the kid who had to dribble a basketball so many times before the Million Dollar Man kicked the ball out from him).

As I stated, why would you bring back an in active belt, when you have two perfectly good second tier belts (US, IC), with REAL credibilty (although diminished in 2009) that you could put on TED that would elevate him. Will someone explain to me why the MDB would be better that the IC?

I think this would be an excellent idea. Especially if Ted gets stale. He could be managed by Ted Sr. then just give him the belt. It would be a great idea and would make him relevant and a pretty fun too watch. It would be nice and be very nostalgic. It could lead to some very interesting story lines which is good.

As I stated, why would you bring back an in active belt, when you have two perfectly good second tier belts (US, IC), with REAL credibilty (although diminished in 2009) that you could put on TED that would elevate him. Will someone explain to me why the MDB would be better that the IC?

Because the IC title's on Smackdown and Ted Jr.'s on Raw. It would be nice to see him with a midcard belt, but there's no story to tie into it. Plus, you answered the question yourself. The IC and US titles are on a down time right now. Why not give him some face time and bring back a belt that drew a lot of attention and heat? Simple as that.

I'd be interested in seeing this happen. It'd be a huge rub for Ted and good way to help him get over without giving him a legit WWE title, be it midcard or other. The only thing is that it would make him an extremely arrogant and cocky heel, and I'm tired of seeing heels like that. The WWE needs more sadistic and psychotic characters.

I think for it to happen though, Ted should have to do something important, like take out an old nemesis of his father's or something. Who knows though. It'd definitely be interesting seeing this though. It'd be a huge make or break situation though.

Will someone explain to me why the MDB would be better that the IC?

It's because of the history of the Million Dollar Belt with the Dibiase name. But I think I'm with you on this one, the IC or US title could work just as well for Ted...give him a decent run with one of those belts and use them to elevate him as they are intended to do.

The MDB might work as a short term thing and there's no doubt there would be a great sense of nostalgia but really we've seen all that before with Ted Senior and I associate it primarily with him and I think I'd be happy enough if the belt wasn't brought back. Let Ted Jr. get over on his own merit, he already has the same damn name as his dad and giving him the MDB would almost certainly turn him into a clone, which isn't what we need.

Ted Jr. needs to bring something new to the table which his dad didn't and so he needs to go out and do his own thing in my opinion and he could still be great following a spell with the IC or US titles I think. If, follwing a run with one of those belts Ted Jr. finds himself going nowhere then it might be useful to put the MDB on him but only if he can't get recognised by himself...

The Million Dollar belt is unique, in that it has a unique look and its main purpose wasn't necessarily to serve as a serious championship. The belt meshed with Ted Dibiase's arrogance and character, and acted merely as a symbol or gimmick of the Million Dollar Man. Creating his own belt did more for his character than winning one.
The U.S. and I-C titles are basically meaningless now. The Miz and Drew McIntyre are your respective champs. That says enough. Carrying around the million dollar belt would set him apart from the other secondary title holders. Putting the U.S. or I-C strap on him wouldn't do much and he'd only get lost in the crowd of all of the midcarders who've won those titles in recent years.

I'm a huge mark for the MDM but not for the MDB. It was only good for being used with Ted DiBiase. Once it was lost to Virgil, people stop giving a shit about it.

Once it was given to Austin, he began his Ringmaster gimmick. And what happened there? It failed. He didn't feel comfortable using another recycled gimmick. And that's what I feel would happen if the belt was given to Ted Jr.

Ted Jr. needs to establish his own character and be his own persona without eriding the coattails of his father's past success. The successful next-generation superstars are the ones that break away from their parents' legacies and become a character of their own. Randy Orton, The Rock, Goldust, and others have already done this and made themselves successful.

So Ted gets the MDB because his daddy used to carry it around? This helps him? If my memory serves me correct, the MDB was created because Ted Sr couldn't win the WWF title, so besides looking pretty, it was pretty much a lame belt. If folks want Ted to really make it, let him take the US starp, defend it against some other up and comers in A series of good matches (Miz and Evan Bourne come to mind off top) and give some meaning to said belt much like Ray did for the IC strap before his wellness violation (And don't forget about a little yearly thing called the draft which could easily move him to the better show Smackdown where the IC belt is) This would mean more for Ted Jr in the long run.

So Ted gets the MDB because his daddy used to carry it around? This helps him? If my memory serves me correct, the MDB was created because Ted Sr couldn't win the WWF title, so besides looking pretty, it was pretty much a lame belt. If folks want Ted to really make it, let him take the US starp, defend it against some other up and comers in A series of good matches (Miz and Evan Bourne come to mind off top) and give some meaning to said belt much like Ray did for the IC strap before his wellness violation (And don't forget about a little yearly thing called the draft which could easily move him to the better show Smackdown where the IC belt is) This would mean more for Ted Jr in the long run.

True, but in the Era of Hogan, there's not much to do. And remember when Steve Austin was the MDC? Exactly. He went around, fighting people, defending the belt. Got a great rub from Ted Sr. So could Ted Jr. He's still young and up and coming. If he was a veteran, I'd say you were right and it wouldn't benefit him. But where he's young, this could be a good rub for him.

Steve Austin WAS the MDC. But there is a HUGE difference between The Ring Master and Stone Cold. Austin really didn't start taking off until he dropped Ted Sr as his manager. And what belt did he go after? IC. I think my issue with the MDC is i'm looking at it through the eyes of a 26 year old. Back whn I was a little kid, I did think the MDC was the coolest thing ever. Even cooler than the world championship. But now that i'm older and understatnd thing differently, its a different story. But who knows, with WWE-PG it could work since its child geared these days anyways. Ooooo shiney! And they could probably sell a bunch of knock offs as well. Meh!

What seems to be forgotten here is that the MDB was a prop and was never considered a championship. It was a perfect fit for a Russo-esque era, before Russo was there so to speak. Anyways, the belt was made for the Million Dollar Man because he couldnt win the World Title, he couldnt buy it, and he couldnt even manage a guy to win it. So he came up with his own belt. It was used solely as a prop, and he only defended it against Virgil. Only 1 guy. So please stop bringing up "Ted Jr. can defend it" BS because that wasnt what it was for in the first place, so why do it now?

On to the topic, I feel that a rub from dear old dad would be huge for Ted. Whether it be as a heel or a face, his dad could give him the "Im proud of you son, I have a gift for you" speech, and he can take off from there. He never has to defend the belt, but he can wear it around and maybe even brag about it. The MDB is one of the most popular belts ever, why not let it shine for a little while again? Ted Jr. never has to become the 2nd coming of the MDM, but the belt could give him some separation from the other guys who just fall into the mid-card. Gives him some swagger and it could give him just enough to make new fueds. It would be a perfect way to get him out of Legacy by having him holding the belt while the other 2 are becoming jealous that he has gold and they dont. It would work

Ted Dibiase Jr. should go nowhere near that belt. The belt was invented as a consolation prize and in that time, it seemed legit. But when you think about it, a heel is sitting there bragging about a belt he created because he couldn't capture the real belt. If you aren't a kid, you realize how ridiculous that is. It's like running a race, coming in 3rd, having your bronze metal platinum-ized and bragging how your belt is medal than the gold. In 2009, it just doesn't work.

We talk about how smart we are as fans today, but yet risk our own intelligence for nostalgia? Seems to make little sense to me.

Another point to consider is that the constant suggesting that Ted Jr. incorporate parts of his father's career and gimmick into his is basically concession that Ted Jr. is not very good on his own. If he was, you wouldn't ever think to make those suggestions. No one is suggesting that Randy Orton get a cast for 10 years like his father. Now, I've argued it before and I will continue to do so, Ted Jr. is still very green. Anyone expecting the Kurt Angle push for him are sorely mistaken as he's just not ready for anything like that and there's nothing wrong with that. However, to try and start his push with conceding that the only way is to wear the belt created for his father is ludicrous. In order for anyone to take him seriously, he's going to have to create a character for himself. He just needs to find himself and be himself, not be his father.

I think this would also be good, i mean come on, dibiasi jr. is already virtually a millionaire with his new movie out. I don't know who he would have to get into a feud with in order to get that title or maybe the wwe should have a tournament and the winner will become the million dollar champ. I wish jr. would either use dibiasi's music or something simular to the million dollar man's music because i find ted jr's music rather boring.

I watched an interview with Dibiase Jr. a while back in which he was talking about Sr., the MDB was mentioned and Jr. said he hopes to bring it back one day. I never watched wrestling when the original was around so I can't really comment either way on it, but just thought I'd throw that in there.

I didn't read all of the posts so I'm not sure if anyone brought this up, but they did bring back the million dollar championship, and they gave it to "The Ringmaster" Steve Austin. This was when he first came into the WWF/E and before he was "Stone Cold." If I recall correctly, people didn't really care then, and I don't think they would care now. The million $ belt was created for Dibiase in a feud with Hogan, and it got over bc noone had ever done anything like that: the nerve of this guy, BUYING his own title!?!?!? And the way it looked!?!? Completely over the top, with diamonds and big $ signs. It was brilliant, and it got over bc it was original. Bringing it out again, even if you put it on the jr. Dibiase, would ultimately have the same effect that it had with Austin. It was one of those things that works once, not twice, and definitely not three times.

Lariat, I didn't mean to intend that Cody was given it by Ted Sr. just that he has it. The hook from Junior's point of view is that it HIS DAD'S BELT and you can imagine the rest from there. I think it could add some emotional investment in the story line. Maybe Sr. would manage Junior, lead his son into regaining thier family's.....wait for it...LEGACY!

SHit, it's twice as good as anything on the shows now. PLUS we could get some kick ass Million Dollar Man promos outta the deal. Shit, any story line to get that guy on air talking shit is worth it. And yes, I know he's born again and all that jazz.

Giving the MDB to Cody first and have Ted chase it to defend his family (a great face move for his turn btw) will elevate both of them. This also allows for the belt not oversaturating the title scene which it already is. The belt can disappear once the fued is over as it was never real championship title anyway. Please, before you argue this point check the wwe website. They list all current, and defunt titles. Titles in the defunt section are: Hardcore, Light Heavyweight, Cruiserweight, ECW Tag Team, WCW, ECW TV, and European. Not Senior's belt buckle.
So, it can come back. We all have that years gone past feeling and it's done before it gets beaten to death.

Ted Dibiase Jr. should go nowhere near that belt. The belt was invented as a consolation prize and in that time, it seemed legit. But when you think about it, a heel is sitting there bragging about a belt he created because he couldn't capture the real belt.

But Jr wouldn't have to exactly duplicate what Sr did with the belt. I'd say that the belt would be a decent gimmick, right after Ted Jr achieves something of note.

Let's say that Ted wins a match for the US title, but the decision is immediately reversed for any of a half-dozen reasons. Or he wins the US title and then loses it "controversially."

That gives an opening for Ted Sr to come out the next week, talk about how Jr was denied what was rightfully his, and Daddy is going to make it right. The MDB would be a consolation prize for getting shafted out of the US title/Royal Rumble win/MITB case.

Another point to consider is that the constant suggesting that Ted Jr. incorporate parts of his father's career and gimmick into his is basically concession that Ted Jr. is not very good on his own. If he was, you wouldn't ever think to make those suggestions.

Well, yeah. If his name were Ted Jones Jr he'd be Chuck Palumbo or Bob Holly or Chris Masters without dancing pecs. However......

....Ted Jr. is still very green.

So he has plenty of time to work with. Carrying around his father's old belt like it was the European or TV title for six months or a year won't stop him from becoming a huge star when he's 32. When Stone Cold was on top of the world, no one remembered the Ringmaster.

BTW, Steve Austin carrying the belt around didn't work, I think, because he was just Dibiase's hireling. No one else wanted the belt, and it probably wasn't too clear why Austin wanted the belt. Dibiase's son, on the other hand, is carrying on a legacy, a tradition, and that's something you can build a story around. That's something that Dibiase would legitimately wear with pride, and care about if someone came to take it from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back