Summerslam: W.W.E Championship: Randy Orton v John Cena

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!

John Cena has beaten brutes, behemoths and big mouths in the past several months during which he has chased championship gold. But it was beating the clock that earned Cena a one-on-one opportunity against WWE Champion Randy Orton.

His coils tightly constricting the WWE Title, The Viper has spent the same number of months enduring a gold-hungry Animal in Batista, an extremely personal vendetta with The Game (which still appears yet to be fully resolved), and even the 12 Rounds star himself, who fell to The Legend Killer just recently in a chaotic Triple Threat Match at Night of Champions.

None have been able to dethrone Orton – for long, at least – while armed with a pair of well deployed mercenaries in Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase, his Legacy.

But if it’s one thing Cena has done time and again, it is excel in the most critical settings. A signature clutch performance against The Miz in a “Beat the Clock” Match on Monday Night Raw earned Cena his dance with Orton at SummerSlam. The brief instance by which the No. 1 contender secured his title bout could lead to the ushering in of a new WWE Championship reign at The Biggest Event of the Summer.

Will The Viper shirk this challenge as easily as a serpent molts its skin? Or will Cena strip the gold from the scales of The Legend Killer en route to capturing his fourth WWE Championship? Tune in to SummerSlam, live from Los Angeles’ STAPLES Center to find out.

I'm quite excited about this for two reasons 1) we get a good old fashioned one on one match 2) No trips :D Yeah we've seen Orton v Cena a few times but I care not...this should be a good bout at Summerslam

Oh yeah, I look forward to both world title matches this year at SS. I feel Cena/Orton tend to have good matches against each other. Which has been overly exaggerated by everybody as stale and overdone, b/c Cena/Orton have only gone at it three or four times in actual one on one matches with three that I know of on PPV with one that was probably on Raw. This has potential to be a good main event, if not ruined by the perennial run-ins by Rhodes and Dibiase.

It doesn't come as a shock to really anyone that Cena and Orton are going into a feud here. They used the triple threat as a way to sort of rekindle the Cena Orton feud. Now this feud first started as a one on one feud at Summerslam two years ago. John Cena had a good match in my opinion with Orton.

In the time since then, they've faced each other one on one at two separate PPVs and were both involved in a triple threat in two other PPVs. One at WM and the other very recently at NOC.

While others may look at this and say "sigh Cena vs Orton again? Seriously?" In my mind this is not a bad continuation. It should be noted too that in both matches one on one since Summerslam ended in DQ, one by Cena, the other by Orton.

I may be in the minority, but I really have no problem with this match. It gives us a break from Orton vs an Evolution member and really Orton and Cena work much better together than Orton and HHH do. I think it should be good.

IMO i think they will put on a very good match because we really havent seen Orton and Cena face each other one on one that much. But you knew WWE would want their biggest draw to main event summerslam for the title because it is one of the big 4

Not the match that I expected, but certainly a match I won't complain about. Only downside is that this is a excuse of stretching the Orton & Triple H feud. In essence, I would have rather seen Triple H and Orton one more time if it meant it was the last time we'd seen them. With this match going on, I really want to see what they will do with Triple H at Summerslam. Maybe they might give us a Shawn Michaels match with him seeing as thought rumors have said that Shawn will be ready in time to be on the card for Summerslam. Really can't see him in anything else.

THANK GOD there is no HHH in this. I was so sick and tired of HHH/Orton that somehow, they've made me actually glad to see Cena/Orton lol. I was actually hoping that Mark Henry would win, which is weird as well, but Cena/Orton should be a decent match. I don't think Cena will win the title here.

With this match going on, I really want to see what they will do with Triple H at Summerslam. Maybe they might give us a Shawn Michaels match with him seeing as thought rumors have said that Shawn will be ready in time to be on the card for Summerslam. Really can't see him in anything else.

Maybe DX versus Legacy?

Also, I hope they don't have HHH beat Orton in a Hell in a Cell match and win the title, with them thinking Cena/Orton at SummerSlam could just stretch it out. I don't want HHH and Orton to have any more matches together, especially not with HHH winning the championship.

My first thought was "why is it always one of these three guys...?"
But my second thought was, wait a minute...isn't this the match everybody has been wanting to see? Isn't this the match that should have taken place last year, if it were not for injury?
Both Randy Orton and John Cena are the young pioneers of this business. They are the "it" superstars and the real money-drawing main eventers.
Basically, Randy Orton vs. John Cena is the most epic match we're probably going to get this summer...

Now, what to do with Triple H?

Can you imagine a SummerSlam card like this?:
-Jeff Hardy vs. CM Punk vs. John Morrison
-Shawn Michaels vs. Undertaker
-John Cena vs. Randy Orton

Those three matches alone would be enough to make me buy this...

I'm excited about this one and think it will be a good match. I have no problem with Orton and Cena fighting because we haven't seen them fight too much and any possible relief from Orton/HHH is good. I dont think we will see anymore from HHH and Orton. I see Cena winning the title and the storyline moving on from there. I think it will be DX vs Rhodes and Dibiasse at SummerSlam, hopefully they can have a bunch of tag teams in a match like this and make it for the tag titles.... I wouldnt mind seeing that

No Triple H and Orton in the same match
FUCK YEAH

They barely had a feud in 2007 before he was injured and that 2008 feud lasted like 3 months and HHH was involved in it for most of it. This shall be good, Super Cena will emerge during the match but seeing as he is facing a main eventer Super Cena will be shut down a few times before finally getting in his Super moves before he either wins or a RKO from no where. (<Something like that)
Please, no Legacy interference

While others may look at this and say "sigh Cena vs Orton again? Seriously?" In my mind this is not a bad continuation. It should be noted too that in both matches one on one since Summerslam ended in DQ, one by Cena, the other by Orton.

im sorry. im that way man. hahaha. it's so typical for the WWE to use the same guys over and over again in feuds for the top prize. I mean look...I remember when on SD! in 2006, Kurt Angle defended against Mark Henry at Royal Rumble, Undertaker at No Way Out and Randy Orton and Rey Mysterio @ WM22. Things that change up like that...thats what WWE should be doing...

All there doing on RAW is being soooo typical and boring with how they give people opportunities.

Orton/Cena
Orton/HHH
Orton/Batista
Orton/HHH
Orton/HHH/Cena
NOW: Orton/Cena

This match will be good, but i'm just biased in a sense that there are other guys who I feel should be pushed in that picture to give a better taste of talent on the RAW roster. Yes...everyone in the main event on RAW is a top draw...but for how long will they keep those numbers up? I don't think for long. Throw in another heel (besides Big Show) that can be looked at by the fans of being considered more of the threat to the title.

I'm looking forward to summerslam, with this being the first match announced. With there match 2 years ago being a 4 star match (out of 5), I expect good things to come.

This is the safe match. Orton and Cena have put on some solid matches before, and to have them Main Eventing Summer Slam is just a safe bet for the WWE to make in getting the mainstream fan to sign up. I was truly terrified that Cena and HHH were gonna get the same Beat the Clock time and set up ANOTHER Triple Threat. Ugh. But a one on one between the company's biggest face and its biggest heel is a nice way to go.

I hae only one hope for this match - no matter who wins, make it clean. No Legacy interference. Nothing like that. Allow the title match at the 2nd biggest PPV of the year be a clean shoot between the two biggest stars, please. Understand that, either man losing clean, will NOT crumble their legacy nor their credibility.

I'm looking forward to this match as I think it will be just as good as their Summerslam encounter two years ago and like IC25, I do want this match to end clean. You will hear people saying that it's a heel's job to win dirty, but can't a heel win clean once in a while. I don't believe Orton has pinned Cena in an one-on-one matchup and this would be the perfect opportunity to do so.

i cant wait. i honestly think this will be awsome. there matches before have been some of my favourites in recent years. This is proberly the only title match orton has been in where i actully feel he is gonig to lose the title. beacause i agree with the comments above about this being a clean win and the reason there will be no interfeirance i belive will be cause triple h will have a match with Ted Dibiase or Ted and Cody and will take them out before the cena orton match.

I am again, underwhelmed entirely.

I honestly thought that Randy Orton vs Mark Henry would have been a better match. I don't know why. I think it might be because we have seen Triple H, Randy Orton and John Cena so many times in so many different ways that I just want to see something a bit different. I love Sexual Chocolate, he would have done so well in that title match. Of course they are never going to put Mark Henry in the title picture at the 2nd biggest event in the WWE calendar. No, that would be madness for the WWE. To do something different and a bit original is just not in their nature any more. I should have thought about that before I fooled myself into thinking that Mark Henry would ever get near the title. It would have been an interesting match but to no avail. Henry would have lost but it would have been such a great rub for him. I digress.

John Cena vs Randy Orton is just another safe match for the WWE as IC said. Both men are good at what they do and I fully expect them to put on a good match. My only hope is that it is a wrestling match and not an interference fest. Although, I could probably see Micheals returning at SummerSlam and interfering. I hope not and I also hope that this is a good match.

I am again, underwhelmed entirely.

I honestly thought that Randy Orton vs Mark Henry would have been a better match. I don't know why. I think it might be because we have seen Triple H, Randy Orton and John Cena so many times in so many different ways that I just want to see something a bit different. I love Sexual Chocolate, he would have done so well in that title match. Of course they are never going to put Mark Henry in the title picture at the 2nd biggest event in the WWE calendar. No, that would be madness for the WWE. To do something different and a bit original is just not in their nature any more. I should have thought about that before I fooled myself into thinking that Mark Henry would ever get near the title. It would have been an interesting match but to no avail. Henry would have lost but it would have been such a great rub for him. I digress.

You really think that Henry who turned face no less than a month ago is going to main event Summerslam. I believe he will get a shot at the title but probably at a lower PPV and there's nothing wrong with that. Just because Henry doesn't have a title shot as quickly as some people want, doesn't mean he's not going to get one.

Im thinking that this match will be pretty good, they seem to work well together and we havent seen this match as much, would of preffered to of sean HBK against orton but this is good enough, will be looking forward to this match as well as smackdowns main event.

You really think that Henry who turned face no less than a month ago is going to main event Summerslam. I believe he will get a shot at the title but probably at a lower PPV and there's nothing wrong with that. Just because Henry doesn't have a title shot as quickly as some people want, doesn't mean he's not going to get one.

Well, no I don't. In fact, I think what I said was:

Of course they are never going to put Mark Henry in the title picture at the 2nd biggest event in the WWE calendar.

The problem is that Mark Henry is one of those guys who is sitting on the bubble. Like Matt Hardy. Henry is a guy who is quickly forgotten about if WWE decide to do nothing about his situation for a few weeks at a time. I did think that Henry would have made a good main event but when I really thought about it alst night, I knew that Henry would not be in the main event. You're right, if it had been something like The Bash, then perhaps Henry could have been in the match but not SummerSlam.

With the way the WWE is going they need some...BIG....change....what if legacy interferes, which you know they will, HHH runs in to make the save, bam....hits cena with the pedigree, not so much joining legacy but wanting orton so bad that he wants to beat orton as champ.....or since Legacy has been long and drawn out that maybe since this is a "Big" ppv for the wwe it seems like the faces always win, what if Legacy turns on Orton, thus finally ending legacy, which they should have done a while ago.

Finally a WWE Championship match I can't wait for. Cena against Orton has been done a few times before but it never got that blow off match to the feud so this match is by no means a stale match up. However, I don't see this being a long feud. Cena to get the win with Orton carrying on the feud with HHH up to the Hell in a Cell PPV with Cena winning title matches, lower down in the card than HHH/Orton, against Swagger. This is very much a worthy Summerslam Main Event.

This is FANTASTIC. They had a darn good match at SummerSlam two years ago and at No Way Out last year, but they never got to blow off their feud in the proper way. Why? Triple H. The man stuck his nose where it didn't belong at WM24 and we didn't get the natural Cena vs. Orton blowoff for the big show. It was a sad state of events. Well now it seems that, MAYBE, Cena has pushed Triple H out of the spotlight going into this year's SummerSlam. Should be a great match, and it definately has NOT been overdone.

Henry would have been a good choice as well, but he's not quite over enough as a face for such a HUGE shot (IMO). Give him a couple months to catch on.

I am really looking forward to this Summerslam 2007 rematch. This match should be just as good or even better than their previous Summerslam match. They are a lot more established now than they were then. Randy Orton has won 4 WWE Championships since that match two years ago, while John Cena has won 2 World Championships.

I am expecting a very, physical match between these two, and I can't wait. The fact that Triple H is not in this match makes it that much more special. Seeing Randy Orton go one-on-one on ppv against a non-member of Evolution is something that we haven't seen since No Way Out against Shane McMahon. While we haven't seen Randy Orton in a one-on-one match on ppv against a non-Evolution member and non-McMahon was at No Way Out 2008, where Orton defended the title against John Cena.

Anything that involved Randy Orton and doesn't involve Triple H really gets me pumped up, so I hope that this will be Summerslam's main event, unless that is if The Undertaker has his return match at Summerslam, which would mean that he should get the main event spot. But, nonetheless, I expect this match to be very good. Whether or not Legacy will interfere... we will have to wait and see.

Prediction: Randy Orton defeats John Cena to retain the WWE Championship.

Not a bad decision on the WWE's part, because really, what other choice did they have? Another Triple H vs. Orton or Trips vs. Cena vs. Orton would have just been redundant. Cena vs. Orton is a very safe bet, they work pretty well together, and it's the Top Heel vs. the Top Face. Especially considering this is Summerslam, you need to have your top money maker Cena in the main event.

As far as how the match goes, predictions and all that, obviously we got some time left before the PPV, but I"m just going to go out on a limb and say Cena takes the title off Orton. Trips will probably work a match against Legacy earlier in the night, so I have a feeling it will be a clean victory for Cena, and honestly it better be a clean victory on one of the bigger PPV's.

I see Triple H facing Legacy as SummerSlam, beating them, then costing Orton the WWE Championship, then going on to face him in Hell in a Cell to end their feud (hopefully with Orton winning). I want to see Orton and Cena main event the next Mania though possibly with Batista involved. Or just Cena/Batista for the WWE Championship.

I'm quite excited about this for two reasons 1) we get a good old fashioned one on one match 2) No trips :D Yeah we've seen Orton v Cena a few times but I care not...this should be a good bout at Summerslam

I am also very happy about this match and feel it will be a great main event for us. Also not having HHH in the match is good for me. I feel the is the right way to go. I am not a huge Orton fan so for him to lose the belt would be great for me. I am hoping we have a clean finish for this match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back