Speculation Regarding the Death of Chris Benoit

The results of toxicology tests conducted on the body of former pro wrestler Chris Benoit will be revealed at a press conference Tuesday at 2:30 p.m., Georgia Bureau of Investigation spokesman John Bankhead said.

The test results are expected to shed more light on Benoit's last moments. Authorities said Benoit killed his wife and seven-year-old son in their metro Atlanta home last month, placed Bibles next to their bodies and then hanged himself on the cable of a weight machine.

Anabolic steroids were found in the Benoits' gated home, leading officials to wonder if the drugs played a role in the killings. Some experts believe steroids can cause paranoia, depression and violent outbursts known as "roid rage."

Toxicology tests have been conducted on Benoit's body to determine if steroids or other drugs were present. Blood-alcohol tests also were conducted on his body, and chemical tests were conducted on the bodies of the wife and son.

The results of the test will released by Dr. Kris Sperry, the state's chief medical examiner, said Bankhead.

Fueling the speculation that steroids may have been involved in the deaths, federal authorities charged Benoit's personal physician, Dr. Phil Astin, with improperly prescribing painkillers and other drugs to two patients other than Benoit. He has pleaded not guilty.

Investigators office has also been raided Astin's office several times since the deaths, seizing prescription records and other medical documents.

Before he was charged, Astin told the AP he prescribed testosterone for Benoit, a longtime friend, in the past. He would not say what, if any, medications he prescribed when Benoit visited his office June 22, the day authorities believe Benoit killed his wife.

Well this may finally be over, and people may have some of the answers they were looking for. My big thing is going to be, what happens if the Toxicology report comes back with no steroids? This is going to be an interesting 24 hours on here.

the report says that Chris Benoit was positive on Testosterone in a elevated level. No other steroid founded on his body.
Bad news for WWE.

Not necessarily bad news. I think it's common knowledge that a lot of wrestlers are on or have been on steroids. That doesn't prove he was over WWE's standards, or that he was on them in April, nor that it was a factor in the murder/suicide necessarily. I think we don't have enough to pass judgement yet. I'm no expect but the report was like 3 lines long, it doens't seem comprehensive enough to pass judgment yet.

Alright, people seem to be fixated on the "steroids" issue, but there are some other aspects of the toxicology report that are mysterious. First, when asked what surprised the medical examiner, he responded that the fact Daniel was sedated (this does seem odd to me), then, he said the fact that no artificial steroids or anabolic steroids were found in Chris's body, with the exception of Testosterone, which he said was most commonly used for testosterone deficiency. This doesn't make the WWE look bad at all. Again, no artificial or anabolic steroids were found in Chris's body, despite the hysteria from the media to the contrary. Yes, testosterone is a steroid, but it is used by hundreds of thousands, if not millions of men for various reasons.

However, the most surprising aspect, to me at least (evidently not the ridiculously stupid media) was the fact that NO ALCOHOL was found in Chris's system, despite the fact that 10 empty beer cans and a bottle of wine were found in his weight room next to his body. Uh, what? Okay, perhaps he drank this earlier, like after he killed his wife. But it just seems fishy to me that no alcohol was found in his system. He obviously wasn't drunk when he committed suicide. They better perform DNA tests on the saliva on those cans to see if he even drank any of it. If the DNA doesn't match either of the Benoit's, the case is wide open.

Honestly, I don't know much at all about testosterone steroids, but by the way things sound and as worded, it sounds as if no anabolic steroids were found in Chris Benoit, so hopefully that proves the media wrong seeing they NEARLY verified Benoit was taking anabolic steroids prior to any toxic reports ever being disclosed.

The ones that are going to look bad is the media. They went extremely far when they heard Benoit had anabolic steroids in his home and with the media wasting so much of their time and so determined and speaking as if they were verifying Chris was on the anabolic steroids at the time, this is a good "shove into your face" to someone like Nancy Grace. So far, I don't see how this is necessarily bad news for the WWE, like the one poster stated..

As a bit of an expert when it comes to drug tests, I can tell you definately that Benoit could've dranken that alcohol up to 15 hours earlier then when he killed himself. Alcohol passes through your system extraordinarily fast, and you piss out every drink per hour. But perhaps the alcohol was what initially ignited the anger in Benoit? I can tell you right now, you are about 20 times more likely to flip out and go into a rage on alcohol then you are on the amount of testosterone that was in his system. Steroids stay in your system for a while, so Benoit would've tested positive if he had taken them within the last 1-4 monthes. Obviously a dead man can't cheat a drug test. So I'm thinking he was probably ignited into that anger from the alcohol, and ended up killing his wife in that rage. Realizing what he had done, he decided to end his life and didn't want his handicapped son to grow up without loving parents, he decided to kill him too. Perhaps Benoit gave the child Xanax almost as a way to try and make his death as painless as possible if he was sedated.

Thats just a rough idea of what I think probably happened. Still though, I'd really like to know what they're doing with this case and if they're even going to do something as simple as test for DNA.

I was also a little shocked to see there was no alcohol present in Benoit's body. Most likely, as xfearbefore stated, he probably consumed the alcohol earlier in the weekend, allowing time for it to exit his system before killing himself. The weird part about it however is that I believe there was a near-empty wine bottle right next to Benoit's body, which makes it look like he had been drinking right before his suicide. But apparently he must have drank the wine earlier in the weekend and had probably just left the bottle there previously.

Thats what I figured, I mean, I'm just kinda doubting that he was worrying about cleaning up after himself or throwing out empty cans and bottles when he had just killed his wife and was preparing to kill himself and his child. Just a guess that he wasn't thinkin' about cleaning at that time I figure..

WWE Releases Official Statement Regarding Benoit Toxicology Report
07/17/2007 by Ryan Gray

The following statement was release by World Wrestling Entertainment clarifying the findings of the toxicology reports for Daniel, Nancy, and Chris Benoit:

STAMFORD, Conn., July 17, 2007 • WWE understands that the toxicology reports for Chris Benoit indicate that he tested positive for testosterone and negative for anabolic steroids. On Mr. Benoit's last drug test in April 2007 administered by Aegis Labs, he tested negative for anabolic steroids and for testosterone. Given the toxicology report of GBI released today, it would appear that Mr. Benoit took testosterone sometime after his April 2007 test and before the time he died. WWE understands that his dealings with Dr. Astin are currently being investigated, and WWE has no knowledge of whether Dr. Astin prescribed testosterone for Mr. Benoit at some point after the April 2007 tests.

For over 20 years, the WWE has been demonstrating our concern for the well being of our contracted athletes, instituting drug testing in 1987 leading up to our current Wellness Program which began on February 27, 2006, administered by Dr. David L. Black of Aegis Sciences Corporation • one of the world’s foremost drug testing authorities.

We believe our Wellness Program is at the very least comparable to those of professional sports and is a program that will benefit WWE Superstars for generations to come.

Wow...that sounds like a friggin advertisement for WWE. "Our wellness policy will ensure benefit for generations to come!". That might be a bit over the top. Still though, I can't wait to see the media's response to this, not that steroids weren't found in his body. You mean we can't blame it on steroids and the WWE?!

But, still, what about his doctor? Was Benoit selling steroids? Or giving them around? I'm confused on that end..

No no, we can't blame alcohol because too many people use that recreational style, so it's not to blame...

If it's just elevated Testosterone, which he could have been taking if he lacked testosterone, according to Kevin Nash, then what the hell? Obviously he wasn't the roided up monster the media was making him out to be, and he obviously wasn't using the ten months supply every 3-4 weeks? This adds more questions.

No no, we can't blame alcohol because too many people use that recreational style, so it's not to blame...

If it's just elevated Testosterone, which he could have been taking if he lacked testosterone, according to Kevin Nash, then what the hell? Obviously he wasn't the roided up monster the media was making him out to be, and he obviously wasn't using the ten months supply every 3-4 weeks? This adds more questions.

Me,personally,I think Benoit was dealing. Like you said,there is no way one man could use a ten month supply in that time span.

I agree with others. I'm hoping to see some News shows and Nancy Grace giving disclosing their comments after ironically going on claiming Benoit recently was taking anabolic steroids. I'm trying to get some luck on CNN right now. But like I said, this will only make the media look bad which is a good thing.

At times like this, I really think the entire "freedom of press" should be enforced somewhat. I don't get how the media were allowed to release so much false information such as Benoit recently moving from The Four Horsemen to Raw, Sheri Martel & Benoit dieing on the same day & so much more.

Is it so hard for reporters to report news straight forward?

I found it very ironic how AOL reported the results. They noted "steroids" was found in Chris Benoit, they didn't note it was testosterone and then claiming how steroids can cause paranoia etc. I hope news reporters will note they were incorrect about Chris having anabolic steroids in his system and it was testosterone.

http://news.aol.com/dailypulse/_a/r...m/20070717152609990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

I agree with others. I'm hoping to see some News shows and Nancy Grace giving disclosing their comments after ironically going on claiming Benoit recently was taking anabolic steroids. I'm trying to get some luck on CNN right now. But like I said, this will only make the media look bad which is a good thing.

At times like this, I really think the entire "freedom of press" should be enforced somewhat. I don't get how the media were allowed to release so much false information such as Benoit recently moving from The Four Horsemen to Raw, Sheri Martel & Benoit dieing on the same day & so much more.

Is it so hard for reporters to report news straight forward?

I found it very ironic how AOL reported the results. They noted "steroids" was found in Chris Benoit, they didn't note it was testosterone and then claiming how steroids can cause paranoia etc. I hope news reporters will note they were incorrect about Chris having anabolic steroids in his system and it was testosterone.

http://news.aol.com/dailypulse/_a/r...m/20070717152609990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

FoxNews,ESPN,CNN,they all reported that way as well. Fox News has since changed their story,though.

Has far has reporters saying they jumped the gun on the whole steroid thing. Forget it. Nancy Grace will have a guest host before she admits she jumped the gun. If anything,they're gonna use the fact that they found Xanax in Daniel's system to make Benoit out to be a bigger piece of trash than they already have been.

Ya, but the speculative part of the Xanax is that Benoit used that to sedate him. If there wasn't any physical evidence of him smothering Daniel, which investigators to this point have never said that they have found bruising on Daniel, then what then.

From the looks of it, Benoit pumped his kid full of Xanax, and he literally probably fell asleep and died.

I just watched glen Beck. All he said was there were steroids, he never said testosterone. They're just going to keep saying steroids to keep the stories going. They will never admit that they are wrong. A lot of people know the truth anyway.

My question is, what about the autopsy results? Maybe Benoit had a brain tumor or something. That could've caused mental problems. Or maybe he just had way too many beers and he just snapped. I've seen it happen.

No matter what, the media is never going to let up and they will continue to spread lies. It's ridiculous.

As a bit of an expert when it comes to drug tests, I can tell you definately that Benoit could've dranken that alcohol up to 15 hours earlier then when he killed himself. Alcohol passes through your system extraordinarily fast, and you piss out every drink per hour. But perhaps the alcohol was what initially ignited the anger in Benoit? I can tell you right now, you are about 20 times more likely to flip out and go into a rage on alcohol then you are on the amount of testosterone that was in his system. Steroids stay in your system for a while, so Benoit would've tested positive if he had taken them within the last 1-4 monthes. Obviously a dead man can't cheat a drug test. So I'm thinking he was probably ignited into that anger from the alcohol, and ended up killing his wife in that rage. Realizing what he had done, he decided to end his life and didn't want his handicapped son to grow up without loving parents, he decided to kill him too. Perhaps Benoit gave the child Xanax almost as a way to try and make his death as painless as possible if he was sedated.

I thought I had seen some expert on some show, possibly on Nancy Grace, who said that anabolic steroids would only show up in Benoit's system if the testing was done within 12-24 hours of his death. This guy said that he felt the tests would be negative for steroids because by the time the testing was done, the steroids would no longer be detectable. He also said that steroids could show up in nails or hair for an extended period of time, but only if taken in huge doses.

I am by no means an expert in this field, I'm simply repeating what I believe I heard a week or so ago on TV. This would appear to mean that this negative test does not necessarily rule out the possibility that Benoit was doing steroids.

IMO, it's irrelevant anyway as I have never believed for one second that steroids played any role whatsoever in this tragedy. This was no incident of "roid rage," so other than a PR issue for WWE, the steroid issue here is irrelevant.

I do find it odd about there being no alcohol at all in his system. I hear you about the fact that he could have consumed the alcohol earlier in the weekend, it just seems to me that finding empty beer cans and a half bottle of wine in the immediate vicinity of where Benoit was found, would leave the impression that it was consumed closer to the time of death. Sure, a guy who has just killed his family and was about to take his own life would not be worried about housecleaning, it just strikes me as a little odd that the cans and bottles were in the vicinity of his body, but not consumed anywhere the time of his death.

If alcohol nor artificial steroids were not found in Chris' body then this is a wide open case. The media could talk and claim whatever they want but the fact of the matter is with all those empty bottles around it is a bit awkward they didn't find anything in his system. of course you can say whatever you want, like he must have drunk it before and then he killed himself. But how about the whole steriod thing, once again the media assumed it was a steroid issue, (an anabolic one). Lets test those wine bottles for DNA; to me there are more facts to find and mysteries to be solved. NOW WHAT!

i hate to ask but does anyone have any info on the the hydrocrome and GHB in his body which are the chemicals in steroids that trigger "roid rage" i've heard but im not sure that there was no traces of it in his body which means that Benoit did take roids but...BUT he had total control when he killed his son and his wife but there not even sure about the darn roids themselves
His son had Factor X syndrome which is a mental and physical disease (i will not get into that) but the roids may have been for the very son Benoit killed himself holding speculation that Benoit didn't use steroids

Here is something interesting I found reported today that can shed some light on the subject:

Chris Benoit's heart was normal, and had no signs of damage. This came as quite a surprise as the protocol has become wrestlers that abuse steroids for long periods of time end up with enlarged hearts.

So what it is looking more and more like is Chris Benoit had some sort of nervous breakdown, or some sort of medical condition. It is said he found religion after Eddie died, so that explains the bibles. The media won't cover this, because Chris Benoit is not a Roid Induced monster, and taking cheap shots at a man with mental disabilities they won't do.

I'm glad to see the drug test come back negative for steroids and that Benoit's heart was in good shape. It simply points to mental problems, which doesn't make the man as big of a monster as some would like to paint him to be.

Reactions: Lee
True. Very sadly, Benoit was suffering of some sort of mental illness and one day he just snapped. As scary as it is, it can happen to anyone... and does, all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back