ROH LD for 06.03.15 - Fuck TNA

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
ring-of-honor-destination-america.jpg

Ring of Honor Wrestling debuts on Destination America Tonight

Destination America is the place. TONIGHT at 8:00pm / 7:00pm central is the time. It’s the Best Wrestling on the Planet, Ring of Honor wrestling!! Tune in tonight to see what the wrestling world is buzzing about!

This week’s Ring of Honor Television comes to you from the historic Ted Reeve Arena in Toronto, Canada.

New Japan Pro Wrestling Junior Heavyweight standout KUSHIDA will take on ROH Dojo graduate Will Ferrara! KUSHIDA is known for his quickness and agility, while Ferrara is known for his never say die attitude. Ferrara says he thrives on pressure and relishes being the underdog. Can he overcome the experience edge that KUSHIDA has?

“The Last Real Man” Silas Young is an angry individual with physical tools that are hard to match. He recently turned his back on this week’s opponent, Takaaki Watanabe, after he perceived Watanabe to not be a real man. Watanabe is a youngster with all the potential in the world. He is young and hungry for a victory in ROH. Can he measure up to “The Last Real Man”?

Former NFL Star Moose, with Stokley Hathaway & Veda Scott, will take on The Decade’s BJ Whitmer. BJ has been making claims that he is the one to end the undefeated streak of Moose! Word got back to Moose and he requested this match. Is the Bully of the Decade ready for the intensity of Moose? Or is the leader of “Moose Nation” preparing to add another victim to growing list?

In our main event we will see the most decorated team in ROH history, former 8x World Tag Team Champions The Briscoes, battle ROH World Television Champion Jay Lethal & Donovan Dijak w/ Truth Martini. ROH World Champion Jay Briscoe will face ROH World Television Champion Jay Lethal at Best in The World ’15: Battle of The Belts. So this match could have major implications. Can The H.O.T. ensure that Jay Briscoe doesn’t make it to Best in the World? The Briscoes are guaranteed to bring the war to the H.O.T. and that means trouble. Destination America will be the battleground for an epic main event that you will not want to miss!

If you’re Not sure what channel Destination America is? Use this link to find it in your area http://www.destinationamerica.com/channel-finder/

#WatchROH

The title of this thread makes me happy.

On another note though, I've already seen this show as it aired in its normal 12:05am Sunday timeslot on WJAC. I don't get DA so maybe this is a good sign that JAC will still carry it.

The title of this thread makes me happy.

On another note though, I've already seen this show as it aired in its normal 12:05am Sunday timeslot on WJAC. I don't get DA so maybe this is a good sign that JAC will still carry it.

The DestAm deal doesn't effect ROH's syndication deal in any way. All that is happening is Discovery is paying SBG a (presumably relatively quite small) sum of money to air the syndicated show that has already aired the prior weekend on all SBG stations across the country(as well NESN now).

The point of owning ROH for SBG is to have cheap programming that they produce themselves that draws larger audiences than comparatively priced syndicated programming would, and all of the advertising that they sell to air during the show is pure profit since they own ROH and it operates in the black. The alternative would likely be for your local SBG affiliate to air "paid programming"(infomercials) during those time slots. ROH, if kept on the correct budget, makes them more money than that alternative. The DestAm deal is simply additional revenue that ROH TV is creating for SBG. But don't fear the loss of your syndicated ROH airings, they are of a higher priority monetarily to SBG than this new national cable re-airing experiment.

Unrelated, Also this...

Edit: Dragon Saga beat me to it.

The DestAm deal doesn't effect ROH's syndication deal in any way. All that is happening is Discovery is paying SBG a (presumably relatively quite small) sum of money to air the syndicated show that has already aired the prior weekend on all SBG stations across the country(as well NESN now).

As long as the viewer ship that exists on the syndicated networks stays on the syndicated networks there is no effect. If a significant portion jumps then advertisers won't want to pay as much to advertise during syndicated ROH shows. I don't know how much audience crossover exists but there is some risk.

The point of owning ROH for SBG is to have cheap programming that they produce themselves that draws larger audiences than comparatively priced syndicated programming would, and all of the advertising that they sell to air during the show is pure profit since they own ROH and it operates in the black.

Seriously? ROH makes enough through gates and merchandise to exist without any TV advertising? If so, that is amazeballs.

The alternative would likely be for your local SBG affiliate to air "paid programming"(infomercials) during those time slots. ROH, if kept on the correct budget, makes them more money than that alternative. The DestAm deal is simply additional revenue that ROH TV is creating for SBG. But don't fear the loss of your syndicated ROH airings, they are of a higher priority monetarily to SBG than this new national cable re-airing experiment.

A couple other concerns is talent wanting a bigger piece of the pie with bigger revenue and exposure and a new master with their hands in creative and management. I'm not sure how much autonomy ROH can maintain with DA filling their pockets. Fortunately for ROH they have more leverage than TNA.

Not trying to scare any ROH fans but the idea that DA is just free money is not necessarily true.

As long as the viewer ship that exists on the syndicated networks stays on the syndicated networks there is no effect. If a significant portion jumps then advertisers won't want to pay as much to advertise during syndicated ROH shows. I don't know how much audience crossover exists but there is some risk.

Seriously? ROH makes enough through gates and merchandise to exist without any TV advertising? If so, that is amazeballs.

ROH doesn't make advertising money directly off of their TV show. Sounds crazy, but one of the issues with being owned by a broadcasting company. They have personal advertisers who air DURING their TV show, for example, Health Alert Hotline who are a subsidary of Medicare have an advertisement which Jay Lethal does but it airs on ROH TV and not as an advert during commercial breaks. CopperFit with Brett Farve is another, Super Beta Prostate (yes, you read that right and its actually a comedy sketch because they let The Briscoes do the advert for it) and Auto Technicians. All of these play on the online version of ROH too. Joe Koff, who is ROH's COO, says that Sinclair keep all the money from advertisers during ROH TV in all their markets, not ROH directly so ROH does keep all the income from live gates and merchandise which are both very strong, especially this year as ROH is doing a lot more shows and their attendance is up 39% on what it was at this time last year.

A couple other concerns is talent wanting a bigger piece of the pie with bigger revenue and exposure and a new master with their hands in creative and management. I'm not sure how much autonomy ROH can maintain with DA filling their pockets. Fortunately for ROH they have more leverage than TNA.

Not trying to scare any ROH fans but the idea that DA is just free money is not necessarily true.

It isn't free money because they're probably not paying a ton of money to air the show. It's not original programming like how TNA is. However the big factor ROH fans are looking at is how this means that ROH is more valuable so Sinclair Broadcasting may now invest even more money into it and SBG has a lot more money than Discovery has, apparently. So by making ROH open to a larger audience It'll boost ROH's income even further through all departments and SBG will see more reason to invest more money to increase things like production or for more exclusive contracts like Adam Cole, Jay Lethal, The Briscoes, Michael Elgin, Dalton Castle or reDRagon have.

ROH doesn't make advertising money directly off of their TV show. Sounds crazy, but one of the issues with being owned by a broadcasting company. They have personal advertisers who air DURING their TV show, for example, Health Alert Hotline who are a subsidary of Medicare have an advertisement which Jay Lethal does but it airs on ROH TV and not as an advert during commercial breaks. CopperFit with Brett Farve is another, Super Beta Prostate (yes, you read that right and its actually a comedy sketch because they let The Briscoes do the advert for it) and Auto Technicians. All of these play on the online version of ROH too. Joe Koff, who is ROH's COO, says that Sinclair keep all the money from advertisers during ROH TV in all their markets, not ROH directly so ROH does keep all the income from live gates and merchandise which are both very strong, especially this year as ROH is doing a lot more shows and their attendance is up 39% on what it was at this time last year.

That is all good news. Hard to believe but good news.

So by making ROH open to a larger audience It'll boost ROH's income even further through all departments and SBG will see more reason to invest more money to increase things like production or for more exclusive contracts like Adam Cole, Jay Lethal, The Briscoes, Michael Elgin, Dalton Castle or reDRagon have.

I don't know. It sounds like the ROH fans like ROH the way it is. Reminds me of TNA pre-cable and especially pre-Hogan. Hopefully more revenue and more investment won't make ROH a different product. Hopefully they won't get in Vince's line of vision.

I'll stop now. You guys don't need my skepticism. You should enjoy your hour. A lot of us thought ROH was dead a few years ago.

That is all good news. Hard to believe but good news.

You have to think that ROH made enough money to operate for a long time with no television(both before and after the HDNet deal), and that was without a billionaire funding source. And the product itself is thriving more now than it was then, so all of their revenue sources are generating more money now logically than they were five years ago.

And merch and live gate aren't their only means of income; things like PPV/IPPV, Video On Demand, Ringside member service through the website, etc. also contribute to the bottom line.

The point of owning ROH for SBG is to have cheap programming that they produce themselves that draws larger audiences than comparatively priced syndicated programming would, and all of the advertising that they sell to air during the show is pure profit since they own ROH and it operates in the black. The alternative would likely be for your local SBG affiliate to air "paid programming"(infomercials) during those time slots. ROH, if kept on the correct budget, makes them more money than that alternative. The DestAm deal is simply additional revenue that ROH TV is creating for SBG. But don't fear the loss of your syndicated ROH airings, they are of a higher priority monetarily to SBG than this new national cable re-airing experiment.

Unrelated, Also this...

Edit: Dragon Saga beat me to it.

Was not aware of these details, thanks for the info, definitely made my day.

I've always been a fan of the ROH production style. I like the grungy raw appeal it presents.

reDRagon vs. The Addiction next week should be a barn burner.

Silas Young is the hidden gem of this episode. They need to expose him to as many people as possible. He's money.

It has been a while since I've watched ROH. Forgot how nice the pacing of the show is. Making the most out of sixty minutes.

Whoever the dude is in the crowd who brought a poster of Tom Selleck with the words, "Silas Young" on it, I want to buy you a beer.

This wrestling is fine, but again, I come back to production, lighting, sound, graphics and visuals and even commentating. Mostly bad.

Kevin Kelly is great, but his color guy is awful. So many dead air spots.

This wrestling is fine, but again, I come back to production, lighting, sound, graphics and visuals and even commentating. Mostly bad.

It's all different than TNA. It's darker, grungier, etc. It looks real. It doesn't look like guys fighting in a scripted sport, or a soap opera like TNA, it looks like guys who have came to fight. Also, to quote their COO Joe Koff, they recorded this NOT intended for Destination America, but for SBG. They signed the DA deal last Wednesday morning. The next TV taping from NYC will be the first true TV taping for DA, which will in Koff's words, fix some obvious problems.

Kevin Kelly is great, but his color guy is awful. So many dead air spots.

It's subjective. Josh Matthews is good, Al Snow is potentially the worst color commentator ever. Worse than Mark Madden. However people on both Reddit and Taima. TV are loving Corino so it swings both ways.

It is funny. A few weeks back there were "reports" of DA being pissed about TNA holding shows for television outside of the United States and the first ROH episode is from Toronto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back