Quarter Finals: Chris Jericho vs. Steve Austin - Austin Wins

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Chris Jericho

• Steve Austin

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So Jericho's wins via interference and in tag matches count while Austin's wins in tag matches and in a triple threat mean nothing? In what world isn't this a logical inconsistency?

Also, if he's going to lose after injuries of his are exploited, than why hasn't this worked consistently for Austin's opponents?

In addition, why does Jericho staying around for longer and helping with young guys make him better than Austin in an industry that's about making money? What, is Kane also better than Austin? What about Funaki?

Also, you say someone could interfere in this match. Is there any hypothetical you can give me regarding that which isn't utter crap?

You're reasons suck, frankly.

So Jericho's wins via interference and in tag matches count while Austin's wins in tag matches and in a triple threat mean nothing? In what world isn't this a logical inconsistency?

Also, if he's going to lose after injuries of his are exploited, than why hasn't this worked consistently for Austin's opponents?

In addition, why does Jericho staying around for longer and helping with young guys make him better than Austin in an industry that's about making money? What, is Kane also better than Austin? What about Funaki?

Also, you say someone could interfere in this match. Is there any hypothetical you can give me regarding that which isn't utter crap?

You're reasons suck, frankly.

Austin's win in a triple threat wouldn't mean much because he pinned Chris Benoit, not Jericho. And as for Austins wins in tag matches, exactly which wins are you referring to? I have referenced the match where Jericho and Benoit won the titles from HHH and Austin, and another tag match that comes to mind is Jericho and the Rock vs. Austin and Angle. Austin got him and Angle disqualified in this match, if he did that against Jericho one on one, the result would still be a win for Jericho.

Exploiting Austins injuries has been a tactic used by his opponents, the same as most wrestlers use their opponents injuries in some way. Jericho is better than most at this and would use this as another way to potentially win the match.

You made a comment about Austins success, annd again here about making money, this has nothing to do with the kayfabe match that we are arguing here, what exactly is your point? Being in the company a long time doesn't make you better than someone, but in an issue of company loyalty, Austin isn't exactly a poster boy.

Of course someone could interfere in the match, are you actually saying that this hypothetical situation isn't acceptable in a hypothetical tournament? I do not see how this works, especially since the situation has already occurred several times in reality. I can't figure out whether you know your argument is shit and can't make a better one, or if you just dislike Jericho and can't be bothered coming up with a half decent argument on behalf of Austin.

Either way, vote Jericho.

Jericho v. Ausin 1 on 1, a Review

Seems to be some confusion here and far too many "Jericho beat Ausin and the Rock, lulz" arguments going on here. I'll be using this nifty little website (http://www.profightdb.com/wrestler_search/steve-austin-205.html?opp=296) to clear a few things up.

Monday Night Raw, June 4th, 2001. Austin defeats Jericho by pinfall, seems simple enough. 1-0, good guys.

Smackdown, August 23rd, 2001. Austin defeats Jericho yet again by pinfall, for the title no less. If my math is correct, that makes it 2-0.

Monday Night Raw, December 3rd, 2001. Austin and Jericho yet again. Austin pins him yet again. 3-0.

Vengeance 2001 Infamous match in which Austin finally falls to Jericho. What does a well respected member, like the Mighty fuckin' NorCal have to say about this one?

Norcal said:
it was a bullshit win.

3-1, under dubious circumstances.

Monday Night Raw, December 10th 2001 Jericho picks up the win, in a Steel Cage no less. However, pretty sure this isn't a Steel Cage match. Also, Booker T interfered. 3-2

No Way Out 2002 Jericho wins again, but I'm sure it wasn't clean. In fact, upon some further research, Scott fucking Hall was involved with the ending. That fucker. A quite dubious win makes it 3-3.

So with Jericho's previous encounters against Austin being a main argument, it appears they are actually even in 1 on 1 action, with all of Jericho's wins coming under questionable circumstances against a past his prime Austin.

I haven't even mentioned the fact that Austin was one of the most important and popular men in WWE history and that Jericho recently lost to JTG and Heath Slater. Austin never lost to Heath fucking Slater.

Austin. For me, it's quite simple. I love me some Jericho, don't get me wrong. But he isn't on Austins level, not even close. Austin is one of the three or four biggest names in the HISTORY of pro wrestling. Jericho hasn't had that kind of career.

I don't care about their win/loss record against one another, that means nothing to me (it's a fake sport...). In all honesty, Jericho is probably the better worker. Jericho has had some amazing matches, especially against Benoit and HBK. But Austin WAS wrestling from 1998 until 2002. He didn't just dominate his opponents, he dominated the ENTIRE industry. Jericho has never come close to doing that.

When it comes to kayfabe, I can't see Jericho beating Austin clean. Sure, we can be hypothetical here and say Booker T might interfere again. But then we could also say God-fucking-Zilla is going to eat the arena. It's a one-on-one match, and if you have to rely upon outside interference for your guy to win a hypothetical contest, you should stop being a mark and realize your argument has holes...big, gaping, monstrous holes.

Even though Jericho plays the coward heel as well as anyone I have ever seen, he does step up and fight, so with that being said, this would be a battle. Jericho is a very, very talented wrestler, very skilled. But Austin is just too tough and too mean for Jericho. Jericho would make the match look great, but Austin would hit the Stunner, probably on once, and it would be over. Jericho would fight his heart out, but it wouldn't be enough.

I just don't see how, outside of being a huge Jericho mark, you could find any compelling reason to vote for Jericho, and that's why I have to vote Austin here.

Really, what is going on here. Austin is one of the most important wrestlers evah. He was the leader of the Attitude Era, which was kind of a big deal. He was a part of one of the greatest matches of all time against Bret Hart. He was a part of one of the greatest storylines of all time with Vince. He was a freaking badass.

Jericho, while a pretty damn good wrestler in his own right, is nothing more than an upper midcarder. Sure, he wins the title every now and then, but it's usually short lived and forgettable. I can't imagine in what universe Jericho would go over Austin in a best wrestler ever tournament. It's mind-bottling.

Also, in the past few years, arguably the best of Jericho's career, he's lost to Kofi like 5 times, JTG, and Heath freakin' Slater, as what as a multitude of other underwhelming opponents. Simply put, Jericho loses to everybody and Austin was one of the greatest wrestlers ever.

I've got to go with Austin here. Austin is one of the biggest stars ever. It could be argued that he is bigger than Hulk Hogan at one point and Jericho isn't even in the top 10. Steve Austin won against some of the best wrestlers in his generation and rarely lost to anyone less that upper midcarder, unlike Jericho who is pretty much a jobber to the stars and even jobs to shit people such as JTG.

I can't even recall a time when Jericho beat Austin in a single's match without the help of someone else. Jericho always needed the help of someone whether it be Booker T or the NWO, there isn't a time I can remember where Jericho won without interference.

I love Jericho as much as the next guy but do the right thing and vote Steve Austin.

Voting Stone Cold here because he'd probably take the match to Jericho before he could react. Between the two, Jericho uses more time-consuming wrestling (enziguiri, lionsault, other moves that take some time to set up) compared to Austin who just straight up beats the hell out of people with kicks, punches, and stomps.

Disarray is 100% spot on. How the hell is this tied? "Stone Cold" Steve Austin is considered either 1 or 2 in the greatest pro wrestlers list, without Austin the WWE might not even be in existance today because of how bad the New Generation Era was in terms of making money. Without Jericho you don't have the coolest debute in WWF history. I'd take being able to watch Raw every Monday over a cool debute and good all around wrestler.

Vote "Stone Cold" Steve Austin

Going to have to vote for jericho here he is a fantastic in-ring competitor and has fantastic mic skills aswell whereas austin is mediocre (at best) in the ring but is fantastic on the mic.
Then once they step into the ring jericho is capable of ending a match in a varity of ways (submission, pinfall and he will resort to cheating if he can get away with it) whereas austin has the stunner and thats it. All jericho has to do is avoid this and he has no fear of losing whereas austin has to watch out for all of jerichos finishers whether it be the codebreaker, the liontamer or the lionsault. Jericho would also go into this match with a game plan specifically for beating austin and avoiding the stunner whereas austin will go in with the same plan as always(straight up brawl and try get the stunner in).
Even in his prime austin was never the in-ring competitor that jericho is/was. As far as popularity goes austin would win but its a wrestling match and when it comes down to ability in the ring and ring psychology jericho has the edge and has the match.

Going to have to vote for jericho here he is a fantastic in-ring competitor and has fantastic mic skills aswell whereas austin is mediocre (at best) in the ring but is fantastic on the mic.
Then once they step into the ring jericho is capable of ending a match in a varity of ways (submission, pinfall and he will resort to cheating if he can get away with it) whereas austin has the stunner and thats it. All jericho has to do is avoid this and he has no fear of losing whereas austin has to watch out for all of jerichos finishers whether it be the codebreaker, the liontamer or the lionsault. Jericho would also go into this match with a game plan specifically for beating austin and avoiding the stunner whereas austin will go in with the same plan as always(straight up brawl and try get the stunner in).
Even in his prime austin was never the in-ring competitor that jericho is/was. As far as popularity goes austin would win but its a wrestling match and when it comes down to ability in the ring and ring psychology jericho has the edge and has the match.

Jericho rarely, if ever, wins matches with the Lionsault which succeeds about half the time. Jericho in his prime didn't have the codebreaker and I've only seen Austin tap once and that was in 2001 when he was on his last legs. Austin has the Million Dollar Dream in his arsenal but the Stunner would be just fine as he has defeated everyone else with it. How do you know Jericho has no fear or losing. He must have since he does it a lot.

Jericho rarely, if ever, wins matches with the Lionsault which succeeds about half the time. Jericho in his prime didn't have the codebreaker and I've only seen Austin tap once and that was in 2001 when he was on his last legs. Austin has the Million Dollar Dream in his arsenal but the Stunner would be just fine as he has defeated everyone else with it. How do you know Jericho has no fear or losing. He must have since he does it a lot.

He may only win with the lionsault on rare occasions but he does win with it. Jericho in his prime didnt have the codebreaker, he is still in his prime he hasnt missed a beat since his return. Austin doesnt have to tap to lose he can pass out from pain and this still results in a loss. Austin used the million dollar dream less than jericho uses the lionsault to win matchs. And i was saying jericho has no fear of losing this match because all he has to do is out smart the rattlesnake and avoid the stunner. Austin has to avoid all of jerichos finishers and try not to get outsmarted by jericho the odds are stacked in jerichos favour.
And as far as in ring ability goes austin and jericho are not on the same level. Jericho is one of the best in the world in the ring where Austin is mediocre at his best

Really, what is going on here. Austin is one of the most important wrestlers evah. He was the leader of the Attitude Era, which was kind of a big deal. He was a part of one of the greatest matches of all time against Bret Hart. He was a part of one of the greatest storylines of all time with Vince. He was a freaking badass.

You would have a point if guys like Sammartino, Thesz, Andre and Hogan had not bowed out early. Or if guys like Jack Brisco and Verne Gagne were not left out. Fact is that people are going to vote in a multitude of different reasons; some thought out and some just on a whim. One of the biggest reasons some vote for a certain wrestler over another is familiarity. Fact is Jericho still wrestles and Austin does not. A 14 or 15 year old voting here may have never seen an Austin match but they see Jericho week in and week out. Nature of the beast.

I myself voted for Jericho, not because I have never seen Austin but because I believe Jericho is the better 'in-ring' wrestler. When I vote I do not look at drawing ability or previous matches between the two or like oppenents and such. First, I look at it as it is meant; nuetral site and nuetral promoter. To me that means one is not going over the other because he makes the promoter more money or he has back stage pull. I pretend it is a real match. Next I try to do what they do on Deadliest Warrior and have them wrestle in my mind several times, each time changing things to see who I would think would win. Now, I don't spend hours doing this or anything, just in my spare time or while I am doing something mundane I may think on it.

In my opinion Jericho would win a one on one match based on speed, skill and moves. Austin is the better brawler but in the end I think the better wrestler would win. Of course I am in no way claiming that this is the correct way, but I think most are voting on a character rather then actual wrestling skill.

I think most are voting on a character rather then actual wrestling skill.

i have voted on the in ring ability of the two and i feel that jericho is highly superior to austin in this aspect. Austin may have better draws and he may have got bigger pops but like you siad its a wrestling match which has been my arguement and my reason for voting for jericho. And just to say voting on character austin only really had one where jericho is changed his over time

He may only win with the lionsault on rare occasions but he does win with it. Jericho in his prime didnt have the codebreaker, he is still in his prime he hasnt missed a beat since his return. Austin doesnt have to tap to lose he can pass out from pain and this still results in a loss. Austin used the million dollar dream less than jericho uses the lionsault to win matchs. And i was saying jericho has no fear of losing this match because all he has to do is out smart the rattlesnake and avoid the stunner. Austin has to avoid all of jerichos finishers and try not to get outsmarted by jericho the odds are stacked in jerichos favour.
And as far as in ring ability goes austin and jericho are not on the same level. Jericho is one of the best in the world in the ring where Austin is mediocre at his best

Oh yes, the Lionsault, what a feared finisher! He mostly beat cruiserweights with that move, not Steve Austin. You actually think a Lionsault could keep Austin down for a three count? If so, you need to find your meds, and begin taking them again..quick.

"....all he has to do is out smart the rattlesnake and avoid the stunner." Right, because that was so easy for so many wrestlers to do between 1997 and..now. How can you outsmart getting a stunner for an entire match? Who has done that with great success. Sure, you might be able to avoid it a few times in one match, but even that's a stretch. People have kicked out of the Stunner before, but I guarantee you would be hard pressed to find any match between 1998 and 2001 where a person avoided a stunner for an entire match, and beat Austin clean without getting dropped on their neck at least once.

The move has been kicked out of, several times. But so has every other finisher, known to man, over the last 10-15 years. I hate it, I think it's stupid. It should be saved for rare occassions. But it happens..to everyone..including Jericho.

Jericho is more clever than Austin, I'll give you that. But we're talking about Steve Austin, one of the (kayfabe) toughest bastards in the history of pro wrestling. I don't think any one of Jericho's finishers could put Austin down for a three count, maybe the code breaker, but probably not even that. So while I believe Austin could kick out of any one of Jericho's finishers, I find it highly unlikely that Jericho could hit the code breaker, then the lionsault, and then slap on the walls. If that happened, maybe I could buy into Austin passing out. But how often has Jericho stringed those moves together?..Never. And, I really don't think Jericho is kicking out of the stunner. If he kicks out of one, he sure isn't kicking out of a second. And I could easily see Austin kicking out of two or three codebreakers.

I can't believe Jericho is winning, are you F****** kidding me?

EDIT: Also, Jericho just lost clean to R-Truth....yeah.

y2j is far more better in ring than austin.
austin refused to to brocklesnar.
y2j loses even to nxt rookies .
this shows who works 4 d betterment of a compony.
my vote to y2j just coz he can do more moves than scsa can imagine.

y2j is far more better in ring than austin.
austin refused to to brocklesnar.
y2j loses even to nxt rookies .
this shows who works 4 d betterment of a compony.
my vote to y2j just coz he can do more moves than scsa can imagine.

You're a spammy fella ain't you?

So who are you voting for again? Because you say you're voting Jericho, but you just made a case for Stone Cold. The fact is Austin didn't lose to people like R "Fucking" Truth, like Jericho did, and you're going to tell us that he deserves to get the win over Austin here? Honestly I think your vote should be erased for havimg such horrible logic. Fact is Austin wins big when it counts and Jericho loses to everyone.

Do the right thing and VOTE AUSTIN!!!

This forum allows for spam, right? Because this...this is a fucking travesty of smarkdom. I have to go to bed, so I can't elaborate, but I guess I'll see in the morning if I'm in trouble, lol.

EDIT: Just decided I don't want to get banned for no. So, I'll say this, historically speaking, Austin blows Jericho out of the water. I mean out of the fucking water. He has the edge in everything. Even in Jericho's strongest areas (promo's and working ability), Austin is better. Austin cuts a better promo, and he works his brawling style better then Jericho works his pseudo-technical style.

Kayfabe wise, there isn't even an argument. Jericho is a glorified jobber on the Main Event scene. He's gotten ONE legitimate run in his career, and every other time he's been a transitional champion. What I'm saying is he loses. he loses all the time. In the last month he's lost CLEANLY to such luminaries as R-Truth and Heath FUCKING Slater.

I feel like I'm in fucking Bizarro Land, how is this close? I've seen some fucking ridiculous results in this tournament, but there were at least justiffiable reasons to make that call...here...it just doesn't exist.

VOTE AUSTIN. For the love of all that is holy, Vote Austin.

Also, Jericho just lost clean to R-Truth....yeah.

The fact is Austin didn't lose to people like R "Fucking" Truth, like Jericho did

Come on. I thought this was a tourney of prime vs prime. It's pretty obvious to me that Jericho is perfectly fine jobbing to help the business right now. We shouldn't include his loss to R-Truth in this discussion. He doesn't want to be the top guy, and referring his loss to someone he is trying to help, should not count in this tourney. But, what do I know? I take this tourney seriously. I put Flair over Benoit, and I put Goldberg over Undertaker. No fanboy here.

EDIT: Yes, I voted Austin. No fanboy here. I just want a fair fight.

Why are people ragging on Jericho for being a good professional and putting over young talent? If anything, Austin taking his ball home and not putting anyone over on the way out should count against him.

Come on. I thought this was a tourney of prime vs prime. It's pretty obvious to me that Jericho is perfectly fine jobbing to help the business right now. We shouldn't include his loss to R-Truth in this discussion. He doesn't want to be the top guy, and referring his loss to someone he is trying to help, should not count in this tourney. But, what do I know? I take this tourney seriously. I put Flair over Benoit, and I put Goldberg over Undertaker. No fanboy here.

EDIT: Yes, I voted Austin. No fanboy here. I just want a fair fight.

It's funny you should mention it, Chris Jericho in the last few years has been considered to be in his prime, actually main eventing for the most of it, and winning championships, but no matter the time or place, Chris Jericho lost to mid-carders on a regular basic, or main eventers, Chris Jericho has always been somewhat of a jobber, while winning championships.

So it is counting prime vs prime.

Why are people ragging on Jericho for being a good professional and putting over young talent? If anything, Austin taking his ball home and not putting anyone over on the way out should count against him.

Supernova, just, stay out of these conversations please, because you're damaging the image of the wrestlers you vote for, Chris Jericho putting over talent and therefore loosing to them should be considered a bad thing in this tournament because HE'S LOOSING.

It's the whole point of this tournament, for the most of it if you choose to vote after what the actual design of the tournament (as far as I understood it) is made for, is to determine who is better than the rest, Chris may be a better ability wise wrestler, but Austin would open a can of woop ass on Chris Jericho quicker than he could run through his catchphrases.

Vote Austin.

That's funny because it's been stated numerous times that you can vote on whatever basis you'd like. Please stop getting on your high horse and telling me to stay out, merely because I prefer a different pro-wrestler to you. Jericho is a lot more entertaining to me, and far less one dimensional than Austin was. Austin got injured in 2000, and was never the same - he had a 3 year run at the top, and even when he came back they had to turn him heel because The Rock was a bigger star by then. Jericho has never been "the guy" but he's proven to have longer longevity and can wrestle different styles and play different characters far better than Austin can. It's funny how Jericho has more than a couple of wins over Austin, yet all his fans want to discount them as "not clean", when they're all too happy to harp on about Austin's victories which more often than not were far from clean (such as his X-7 win).

It's funny how Jericho has more than a couple of wins over Austin, yet all his fans want to discount them as "not clean", when they're all too happy to harp on about Austin's victories which more often than not were far from clean (such as his X-7 win).

How exactly is using a chair in a no disqualification match not a clean victory? If it had been a regular match, with DQs, you might have an argument. That's like calling Edge and Christian's TLC victories tainted because they used tables, ladders, and chairs. It's perfectly legal.

Whereas Jericho's victories were in matches WITH rules, and he had to cheat those rules by having multiple people interfere (in both matches he beat Austin in) on his behalf. Quite a deal different from Austin beating the hell out of Rock with a chair at X-7 in a No DQ match.

I'm baffled by how Jericho could be leading this poll. Tasty summed it up best---Jericho's fans STILL harp on about the ONE MATCH he beat Austin in, with the help of several people. Austin on the other hand has beaten Jericho multiple times, completely clean in the center of the ring, and it meant absolutely nothing in Austin's career because he's beaten so many more impressive legends than Jericho, clean. Seriously, this is the man that took the Sharpshooter from Bret Hart in the middle of the ring, bleeding profusely for nearly 5 straight minutes without ever giving up or tapping out. If Bret Hart's sharpshooter can't make Austin tap, you think the Walls of Jericho will? Not going to happen.

Austin has beaten just about everyone in the business clean. Name a legend, he's probably beaten them clean. Undertaker? Check. Rock? Check. Shawn Michaels? Check. Ricky Steamboat? Check. Ric Flair? Check. Chris Benoit? Check. Chris Jericho? Double-check. Vader? Check. Yokozuna? Check. Kurt Angle? Check. Triple H? Check. Big Show? Check. Kane? Check. Mick Foley? Check. Mr. Perfect? Check. I can just keep naming legends, but I think you've gotten my point here.

Austin is simply superior to Jericho. Not even sure how that's even an arguable point. Austin should rightfully win this entire tournament considering the remaining nominees.

That's funny because it's been stated numerous times that you can vote on whatever basis you'd like. Please stop getting on your high horse and telling me to stay out, merely because I prefer a different pro-wrestler to you. Jericho is a lot more entertaining to me, and far less one dimensional than Austin was. Austin got injured in 2000, and was never the same - he had a 3 year run at the top, and even when he came back they had to turn him heel because The Rock was a bigger star by then. Jericho has never been "the guy" but he's proven to have longer longevity and can wrestle different styles and play different characters far better than Austin can. It's funny how Jericho has more than a couple of wins over Austin, yet all his fans want to discount them as "not clean", when they're all too happy to harp on about Austin's victories which more often than not were far from clean (such as his X-7 win).

I'm not saying anywhere that you're not allowed to vote in any kind of way, I'm just saying that it's how the tournament is designed, and the sheer fact that you're saying because Austin refused to put over talent, that we shouldn't vote for him, because Chris Jericho wants to put over talent, that's fine, but it's no reason to vote for anybody because of backstage problems.

It's fine that you wanna vote Chris Jericho, I like Chris as well, but I'm absolutely not gonna vote him over Austin, and certainly not because you tell me that "Chris Jericho puts over talent, Austin doesn't".

So I told you to stop posting because it's a ridiculous argument to put forth, that not putting over talent is gonna be a negative thing for Austin in this tournament.

How in the world is this happening? Let's recap here.

Austin has a better in ring record head to head.

Austin was on top of the wrestling world while Jericho has never been the top guy.

Austin saved the WWF.

Austin has had a bunch of classics in his own right.

Austin came back for one night this year and the ratings spiked. You know, on the same show Jericho is on every week.

Someone tell me one, yes one way besides arguably the mic where Jericho is far ahead of Austin. Jericho is great int he ring and so is Austin. Both are great on the mic. Austin's success has lapped Jericho's about a dozen times over. This should be a blowout for him.

But KB, Jericho beat him and Rock IN THE SAME NIGHT. I don't think Austin has ever done anything like that. Jericho has soooo many more finishers than Austin has and Jericho will be able to avoid the Stunner. He also has no fear of losing.

So Jericho being beaten by Rock and needing Vince interference and a low blow and then Vince AGAIN interfering in the other match makes Jericho better? Jericho has three finishers: Lionsault which has beaten how many big names? The Walls, which hasn't won a match in what, a year now? Also pay no attention to Austin being in a FAR better submission and not tapping. That leaves the Codebreaker, which is ok at best. Codebreaker vs. Stunner. Hmm, I think Austin wins.

This brings me to your final point: Jericho has no fear of losing. So, in other words, Jericho is braver than Austin? Do I even need to make fun of this? I don't think so.

Austin's low points > Jericho's entire time on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back