Quarter Finals: The Undertaker vs. John Cena

Who Wins This Matchup?

• The Undertaker

• John Cena

Results are only viewable after voting.
You mean the 90's in which he lost to almost everybody big he faced? The slow and boring Undertaker? Good one
I mean the 90-95 when he went 330-55 in his wrestling career.

Austin > Rock > HHH > Foley > Undertaker.

Nice try.

Austin > Rock >Undertaker>HHH >Foley
thts a better list.

RAW was crap with HHH at the top? Name one good match from 2003 that involved HHH. You're not going to find one. HHH was terrible from start to beginning.

How about you name a good match Cena's been in that dosent have shawn michaels in it?
Name me ten great Undertaker matches.

I bet you won't even get past six.

Well besides all the ones Jsaturn has named that for some reason you don't think are great matches.
Vader vs. Steve Austin vs. The Undertaker vs. Bret Hart - In Your House: Final Four
Steve Austin vs. Undertaker (Buried Alive Match)Rock Bottom ‘98
So with these 2 and the ones Jsaturn has mentioned thts 21. and i've still yet to see your list of great Cena matches.

Austin > Rock > HHH > Foley > Undertaker.

Nice try.

Austin > Rock >Undertaker>HHH >Foley
thts a better list.

HHH was terrible from start to beginning.

oh man!!!!!!!!!!!! hhh was so better than cena n cena can never even aspire to b equal with undertaker.

Undertaker>Austin > Rock >HHH >Foley
this is how it should be.

Losing to big name main event faces has happened to the Undertaker as well.

No Way Out 2006- Lost to Angle

Cyber Sunday 2007- Lost to Batista

Some Smackdown in 2008- Lost to Jeff Hardy

Cena would be the exact kind of guy that Undertaker would lose to.

Taker has a few losses in those types of matches but he also has plenty of wins. He beat a face Batista at Mania 23. A face HBK at Mania 25 and 26. Rey Mysterio at the Royal Rumble this past year. The only time I remember Cena beating a big time main event face is when he beat HBK at Mania 23. I don't consider Bobby Lashley a main eventer so Cena's win over him at the GAB doesn't factor into this for me.

There's a reason that, during his run at the top, The Undertaker is the only top guy Cena hasn't wrestled, and that's because they want to protect him. They know that no one would cheer Cena over The Undertaker, and also that no one would buy Cena beating The Undertaker.

I voted 'Taker. Pretty simple reason too---because there is no fucking way that John Cena is going to win this tournament so long as I have something to do with it. Cena's great, no one is denything that, but if I'm writing up a list of the 10 best professional wrestlers of all time, Cena is absolutely positively NOT on that list. Not even close to that list really. He'd be lucky to crack the Top 25 quite frankly. Undertaker would probably rank above him as well on that list.

Don't really give a fuck about any other arguments. I'd rather have the Undertaker win this tournament for a second time than see John Cena win it. He simply does not deserve that honor in any shape, way, or form.

There's a reason that, during his run at the top, The Undertaker is the only top guy Cena hasn't wrestled, and that's because they want to protect him. They know that no one would cheer Cena over The Undertaker, and also that no one would buy Cena beating The Undertaker.

I thought no one would buy Kurt Angle beating the Undertaker. Didn't stop it from still happening. I thought no one would buy Jeff Hardy beating the Undertaker. Didn't stop it from still happening. Undertaker is not this invincible being that can't be defeated when he has shown that he has been defeated numerous times by more opponents than Cena has. They want to protect the Undertaker because if those two faced at Wrestlemania, Cena would be the one to end the overrated streak.

I'm voting for Cena here. And why? A couple of reasons...

First of all, just because it's a personal preference. I'd rather see Cena go through than the Taker... but that's just me.

Secondly, this match would be so good that it would be disgusting. I'd give my left nut to see it actually happen. And I honestly believe that this match would be extremely close, as it's been proven by the standings in the voting poll. But I always felt that in a match where two men are damn-near unstoppable, you have to go with the more resilient wrestler. I feel that person is John Cena. The man has a persona in which he never gives up and is extremely difficult to pin or submit. Cena's toughness and inability to submit would come into play if the Taker slapped on the Hells Gate, but Taker would do the same with Cena's STF. But Taker has gotten knocked out for the count at times when we never thought he'd be pinned, while John Cena would somehow take his opponent to the limit and never give up.

Considering how close this match would be in my head, I'm not going to waste my time sifting through Wikipedia and all of these men's past matches in order to find the mathematical equation that proves how Cena would get the win. I just feel, in my heart, that he would pull out the victory. That's all the research I need.

Cena wins.

I voted 'Taker. Pretty simple reason too---because there is no fucking way that John Cena is going to win this tournament so long as I have something to do with it. Cena's great, no one is denything that, but if I'm writing up a list of the 10 best professional wrestlers of all time, Cena is absolutely positively NOT on that list. Not even close to that list really. He'd be lucky to crack the Top 25 quite frankly. Undertaker would probably rank above him as well on that list.

Don't really give a fuck about any other arguments. I'd rather have the Undertaker win this tournament for a second time than see John Cena win it. He simply does not deserve that honor in any shape, way, or form.

Why doesn't he deserve the honor of being the winner of a fake tournament? What does Undertaker do better than Cena? I've already went through the fact that when Cena is out, ratings drop and when Undertaker is out nobody cares. Undertaker has only had one or two good years in his career while Cena has had three or four. Your post isn't as better as any of the other Undertaker arguments I had to reply to.

It's got the be Cena here. 'Taker has the best gimmick in wrestling history in my opinion. However, that's it. He's not a great wrestler though. He plays his part damn well but that's the best you can say about him. He's a legend, and a first ballot HOFer but he isn't as good as Cena by a long shot.

John Cena has done more for WWE in his short tenure than 'Taker has done in 20 years. In those 20 years the 'Taker's list of accomplishments is 'ending Hulkamania' and his 18-0 record at Wrestlemania. Never once has he been the guy. By the guy I mean the one person that the company is built around. In the 60s and 70s it was Bruno Sammartino, in the 80s and (early) 90s it was Hogan, from 93-98 it was Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart, in the Attitude Era it was Steve Austin, in the early 00s it was HHH, now it's John Cena. Nowhere on that list do I see the Undertaker.

Aside form being the guy, Cena is also the workhorse of the company. He does litterally everytihng for WWE. He was working the full time shedule of a pro wrestler (in fact he was working the shedule of the WWE champion, which is harder given that you tend to do more media stuff in addition to the whole wrestling thing) whilst shooting and then promoting the Marine, finding time to grant over 100 wishes for the make a wish foundation (and infact he's been made an ambassador for the Make a Wish Foundation), and all in all carrying the company on his shoulders. Something that (as mentioned) 'Taker has never done.

Now we come to the intangibles of how good each man is in the ring and on the mic. On the Mic 'Taker can be summed up by '[wrestler] you [past tense action] me. At [PPV] you will REST... IN... PEACE *eye roll*' He's slightly more formulaic than a chemical reaction. John Cena on the other hand is far, far, far more diverse. He cut a serious promo or rap about his opponent as well as anytihng in between.

In the ring, it's a point for Cena too. 'Taker's great matches are few and far between, and typically feature gimmicks or wrestlers who could have a good match with a broomstick. John Cena, on the other hand is one of those people that can have a good match with a broomstick. He can consistently put on good matches with whoever you want him to wrestle. John Cena delivers consistetly, which 'Taker doesn't. John Cena is, in my opinion WWE's nost consistent worker. He's always there (which 'Taker isn't. with the exception of 2010, he's always taken months off to rest), he's always putting on above average matches, he's always getting 100% if the crowd's reaction, he's always entertaining. He is the perfect worker for WWE. Not on drugs, charismatic, a good role model (which is good in the post Benoit world and with wrestlers dropping like flies), goes the extra mile, and a huge draw.

No way 'Taker should go over here. Vote for the present, not a rose tinted view of the past.

VOTE CENA

Undertaker vs Cena is there even a comparison. Undertaker is undefeated at wrestlemania and has beaten the likes of HBK, Batista,Kane, Kevin Nash, Randy Orton, Big show, The Game, Ric Flair, Jimmy Snuka, Jake Roberts, edge,Pshycho sid. As he said he has seen the best fought the best and has beaten the best. Undertaker has nevertapped under his deadma gimmick and hes 610 and 300 pounds, Cena is good but I mean come one and attitude adjustment wont keep him down. And the STF please he doesnt tap.Taker has been loyal to the company for 20 years created the best gimmick out of a bad idea. Has the best entrances. thus.He loses recently to young talent because beating the undertaker will get you places. He built up Khali and Koslov until they were buried by Cena and HHH.

I'm sorry, could you guys speak up? I'm having some trouble hearing with this WWE Title Belt in my sig.

I'm not even going to bother responding to the previous post, because there's nothing I can say. The fact that Undertake has beaten Kane nearly ruins my whole argument, but I'll try to keep going.

Anyone watch wrestling last night? Sure you did, it was Monday. Cena took a lowly larvae named Bourne and made him the star of the show last night. Impressive stuff. Did you hear those people cheering? "CENA!CENA!CENA!" they said. Truly stupendous.

My point? In case you haven't noticed, John Cena is the number 1 guy in the WWE. Surely that means something, at least something more than being an average big man with a kickass gimmick that you're whole career has been based off of. I'm not going to lie, the Deadman gimmick is pretty cool, but a gimmick doesn't a superstar make. I believe Shakespeare said that.

If you got anything from that disjointed mumbo jumbo, it should be that John Cean is a real American and deserves your vote. Thank you.

Undertaker vs Cena is there even a comparison. Undertaker is undefeated at wrestlemania and has beaten the likes of HBK, Batista,Kane, Kevin Nash, Randy Orton, Big show, The Game, Ric Flair, Jimmy Snuka, Jake Roberts, edge,Pshycho sid. As he said he has seen the best fought the best and has beaten the best. Undertaker has nevertapped under his deadma gimmick and hes 610 and 300 pounds, Cena is good but I mean come one and attitude adjustment wont keep him down. And the STF please he doesnt tap.Taker has been loyal to the company for 20 years created the best gimmick out of a bad idea. Has the best entrances. thus.He loses recently to young talent because beating the undertaker will get you places. He built up Khali and Koslov until they were buried by Cena and HHH.

So Jimmy Snuka in 1991 was one of the best? I'll laugh myself to death on that one. Cena has beaten HBK, Batista, Kane, Randy Orton, Big Show (twice at WM), HHH, and Edge. We can compare opponents all day and Cena has been more dominant against his opponents than Undertaker has been at his. John Cena has never tapped in his prime and I can see Undertaker tapping before I can Cena.

I'm glad you said beating Undertaker will get you places. Where did it get Kozlov? Nowhere. Where did it get Khali? Nowhere. What happened to Khali a month after facing Cena? He won the world title and he didn't even beat Cena. That shows even losing to Cena can get you places.

That's funny - The Undertaker has beaten Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Triple H, HBK, Mankind, Kane, Steve Austin, Batista, Randy Orton, Edge etc. Notice that. Hulk Hogan and Austin. The two most successful pro wrestlers ever. Cena is a shit stain compared to The Undertaker and I'm not even a big fan of either of them.

That's funny - The Undertaker has beaten Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Triple H, HBK, Mankind, Kane, Steve Austin, Batista, Randy Orton, Edge etc. Notice that. Hulk Hogan and Austin. The two most successful pro wrestlers ever. Cena is a shit stain compared to The Undertaker and I'm not even a big fan of either of them.

Why would this be a knock against Cena? Austin only wrestled two matches I believe after Cena debuted and Hogan was past his prime and it's not Cena's fault that he didn't face him. Fact of the matter is, Cena has been more dominant against the best of the generation than Undertaker has. Stone Cold defeated the Undertaker six times in two months. I believe Edge is the only wrestler to defeat Cena that many times in his whole career.

That's funny - The Undertaker has beaten Hulk Hogan

with interferance/a chair both times. The second time, Hogan was so far past his prime it's rediculous.

Holds more victories over 'Taker than the other way around.

And Cena hasn't beaten him?

See: HHH

Pretty sure Cena's beaten him. And He was never a great wrestler or a top star.

Never a big star. How long has he been a world champ for again?

Steve Austin

I'll give you this, for the sole reason that Cena wasn't around when Austin was. Fairly sure that Austin holds just as many or more vodtories over 'Taker though.

Batista, Randy Orton, Edge etc.

All guys that Cena's beaten too. Normally more times and more impressively.

Notice that. Hulk Hogan and Austin. The two most successful pro wrestlers ever.

Like Cena is now?

Cena is a shit stain compared to The Undertaker and I'm not even a big fan of either of them.

Hardly. If anything, it's the other way around. Cena's title reigns have been longer, more meaningful and he's been the guy carriny the company.

Add Bret Hart, Youkuzana, The ultimate warrior, brock, jbl, king bukah, ted dibease, razor ramon, and diesel. you have a pretty impressive list

So Jimmy Snuka in 1991 was one of the best? I'll laugh myself to death on that one. Cena has beaten HBK, Batista, Kane, Randy Orton, Big Show (twice at WM), HHH, and Edge. We can compare opponents all day and Cena has been more dominant against his opponents than Undertaker has been at his. John Cena has never tapped in his prime and I can see Undertaker tapping before I can Cena.

I'm glad you said beating Undertaker will get you places. Where did it get Kozlov? Nowhere. Where did it get Khali? Nowhere. What happened to Khali a month after facing Cena? He won the world title and he didn't even beat Cena. That shows even losing to Cena can get you places.

Wait.... Taker has beaten all those people at Mania... He beat the bigshow in an hanidcap match too. Has Cena done that? Wait didnt Cena lose to RVD? Undertaker beat him.

Why doesn't he deserve the honor of being the winner of a fake tournament?

Because to imply that John Cena is the greatest professional wrestler of all time is absolutely absurd. Even his biggest marks know damn well that quite a few people rank ahead of Cena on a list of the all time greats, and the Undertaker is one of them. The man has been insanely over for nearly twenty years now. Cena hasn't even wrestled as long as the Undertaker has been over. Anything Cena has accomplished, the Undertaker can match easily and you know it.

But like I said, to suggest Cena is the single greatest professional wrestler of all time is almost insulting. That's why he doesn't deserve to win this tournament LJL. Atleast not in my view. And I'm not hating on the man either, you know I'm a fan of his. But best of ALL TIME? Afraid not.

What does Undertaker do better than Cena?

Just about everything actually, aside from maybe mic skills. He's certainly a harder worker in the ring, and is one of the rare cases of a wrestler actually getting better and better as he got older. He's certainly a far better face than John Cena, because you guys seem to be forgetting the fairly large contingent of boos he receives in almost every city the WWE vists. I remember actually counting about 4 consecutive PPV world title matches he was involved in over this past fall where the crowd absolutely shit on him and cheered on his opponent for most of the match (that being Randy Orton). Sure, Cena haters criticisms are usually bullshit, but that doesn't make up for the fact that such a large chunk of the fanbase vehemently dislikes him.

I've already went through the fact that when Cena is out, ratings drop and when Undertaker is out nobody cares.

Ratings are relevant to this discussion how? Do you have any idea how high the ratings for Raw were in 1998 and 1999 LJL? I'm sure you do. Guess who was one of the big four main players of those two years? That's right, the Undertaker. He feuded with Stone Cold, the biggest wrestler on the planet, for several months and ratings kept skyrocketing. By the time around May of 1999 hit, Raw was hitting it's highest ratings in the history of the show, all of which still stand as benchmarks for the company. Want to know who was the WWF Champion from in May of that year? That's right, the Undertaker. So if you're really going to sit here and compare Cena in his prime getting measly 3.0-4.0s, is more impressive than the Undertaker being the champion of the company and one of it's main focuses when Raw would pull in fucking 7.0's and 8.0s, we can do that. If you want to talk ratings, I'd say Undertaker trumps Cena in that department rather easily.

Undertaker has only had one or two good years in his career

Straight up one of the dumbest things said in this entire tournament. One or two good years? Try about 15 years. The man is older than half of the roster (including Cena) and he's still putting on matches that win Match of the Year, as he did with Michaels last year and as Meltzer has all but already announced they will win again for this year for HBK's retirement match. Undertaker had absolutely fantastic wrestling matches from 1996 until, I don't know, about a month or two ago? Get back at me when Cena maintains that kind of consistency.

while Cena has had three or four. Your post isn't as better as any of the other Undertaker arguments I had to reply to.

So your argument for Cena winning is that he's had three or four good years? That's kind of absolutely nothing in comparison to being on top of a company for 20 fucking years and being the leader of the entire locker room as well as the most respected man probably in the entire fuckin' business of professional wrestling today.

That was an absolutely horrid post man.

Reactions: gd
I'm sorry, could you guys speak up? I'm having some trouble hearing with this WWE Title Belt in my sig.

I'm not even going to bother responding to the previous post, because there's nothing I can say. The fact that Undertake has beaten Kane nearly ruins my whole argument, but I'll try to keep going.

Anyone watch wrestling last night? Sure you did, it was Monday. Cena took a lowly larvae named Bourne and made him the star of the show last night. Impressive stuff. Did you hear those people cheering? "CENA!CENA!CENA!" they said. Truly stupendous.

My point? In case you haven't noticed, John Cena is the number 1 guy in the WWE. Surely that means something, at least something more than being an average big man with a kickass gimmick that you're whole career has been based off of. I'm not going to lie, the Deadman gimmick is pretty cool, but a gimmick doesn't a superstar make. I believe Shakespeare said that.

If you got anything from that disjointed mumbo jumbo, it should be that John Cean is a real American and deserves your vote. Thank you.

Come on GD. I expect more of the Generallismo. I'm sure you can provide a better argument than that. Cena is the number one guy in the WWE right now? Cool. As I mentioned in my response to LJL, Undertaker was the number one heel wrestler on the entire roster and the WWF champion for several months (during a period of time infamous for constant title changes, almost every few weeks) during the most popular period in wrestling history. Do you think John Cena, if in that same era, would have been given that honor? I highly doubt it.

Because to imply that John Cena is the greatest professional wrestler of all time is absolutely absurd. Even his biggest marks know damn well that quite a few people rank ahead of Cena on a list of the all time greats, and the Undertaker is one of them. The man has been insanely over for nearly twenty years now. Cena hasn't even wrestled as long as the Undertaker has been over. Anything Cena has accomplished, the Undertaker can match easily and you know it.

But like I said, to suggest Cena is the single greatest professional wrestler of all time is almost insulting. That's why he doesn't deserve to win this tournament LJL. Atleast not in my view. And I'm not hating on the man either, you know I'm a fan of his. But best of ALL TIME? Afraid not.

Just about everything actually, aside from maybe mic skills. He's certainly a harder worker in the ring, and is one of the rare cases of a wrestler actually getting better and better as he got older. He's certainly a far better face than John Cena, because you guys seem to be forgetting the fairly large contingent of boos he receives in almost every city the WWE vists. I remember actually counting about 4 consecutive PPV world title matches he was involved in over this past fall where the crowd absolutely shit on him and cheered on his opponent for most of the match (that being Randy Orton). Sure, Cena haters criticisms are usually bullshit, but that doesn't make up for the fact that such a large chunk of the fanbase vehemently dislikes him.

Ratings are relevant to this discussion how? Do you have any idea how high the ratings for Raw were in 1998 and 1999 LJL? I'm sure you do. Guess who was one of the big four main players of those two years? That's right, the Undertaker. He feuded with Stone Cold, the biggest wrestler on the planet, for several months and ratings kept skyrocketing. By the time around May of 1999 hit, Raw was hitting it's highest ratings in the history of the show, all of which still stand as benchmarks for the company. Want to know who was the WWF Champion from May to July of that year? That's right, the Undertaker. So if you're really going to sit here and compare Cena in his prime getting measly 3.0-4.0s while Undertaker was the champion of the company and one of it's main focuses when Raw would pull in fucking 7.0's and 8.0s. If you want to talk ratings, I'd say Undertaker trumps Cena in that department rather easily.

Straight up one of the dumbest things said in this entire tournament. And incredibly false. One or two good years? Try about 15 years. The man is older than half of the roster (including Cena) and he's still putting on matches that win Match of the Year, as he did with Michaels last year and as Meltzer has all but already announced they will win again for this year for HBK's retirement match. Undertaker had absolutely fantastic wrestling matches from 1996 until, I don't know, about a month or two ago? Get back at me when Cena maintains that kind of consistency.

So your argument for Cena winning is that he's had three or four good years? That's kind of absolutely nothing in comparison to being on top of a company for 20 fucking years and being the leader of the entire locker room as well as the most respected man probably in the entire fuckin' business of professional wrestling today.

That was an absolutely horrid post man.

1. Cena maintained that consistency for a year and a half before he got injured. The Undertaker was awful from 1998-2006. His matches with Austin weren't the greatest in the world and his American Bad Ass gimmick was just that-bad. He did nothing in 2000, beat HHH in 2001, and had awful matches with Stone Cold, HHH, and The Rock in 2002.

2. I'm sure anybody can get good ratings when paired with Stone Cold.

3. It's not Cena's fault that he gets booed. They put him up against a fan favorite in Jericho and then Kurt Angle who couldn't use heel psychology to save his life and tried to outpop the crowd. Last but not least, they put him up against HHH who was the cancer of the WWE for almost three years. Yet through all of that, Cena remains the most dominant superstar of his era, moreso than Undertaker in his era.

Wait.... Taker has beaten all those people at Mania... He beat the bigshow in an hanidcap match too. Has Cena done that? Wait didnt Cena lose to RVD? Undertaker beat him.

Cena beat Big Show for the U.S. Title at WM 20 and beat him and Edge for the WHC at WM 25. Cena can and has proven he can handle his own against the best in the business and I see no reason why Undertaker is any different.

1. Cena maintained that consistency for a year and a half before he got injured. The Undertaker was awful from 1998-2006. His matches with Austin weren't the greatest in the world and his American Bad Ass gimmick was just that-bad. He did nothing in 2000, beat HHH in 2001, and had awful matches with Stone Cold, HHH, and The Rock in 2002.

2. I'm sure anybody can get good ratings when paired with Stone Cold.

3. It's not Cena's fault that he gets booed. They put him up against a fan favorite in Jericho and then Kurt Angle who couldn't use heel psychology to save his life and tried to outpop the crowd. Last but not least, they put him up against HHH who was the cancer of the WWE for almost three years. Yet through all of that, Cena remains the most dominant superstar of his era, moreso than Undertaker in his era.

Kurt Angle was a very good egotistical heel. People are mad because we get Cena shoved in our mouth every day. During 1998-2006 he won two wwe titles. Made the ministry and won 4 tag team titles.

handicap match?

Kurt Angle was a very good egotistical heel. People are mad because we get Cena shoved in our mouth every day. During 1998-2006 he won two wwe titles. Made the ministry and won 4 tag team titles.

handicap match?

I'm almost positive this is supposed to be English.

Let's put it this way, when all is said and done, there will be a John Cena Era in WWE History. there will be no "Undertaker Era." Undertaker is a guy who's been an important part of other peoples eras, but never a guy that the company could be centered around. Hell, the Undertaker has been around for all of the Cena Era, and Cena is still featured over him. That alone should tell you all you need to know.

As much as I hate Cena I think he has to go through this round, just because Cena in his prime is a little bit better than taker in his prime and as others in this thread have ponted out like it or not Cena has been the most dominant figure of this decade and will always find a way to over anyone. Unfortunately that includes The Undertaker

Eh, I voted the Undertaker based on personal preference, but I won't be angry if Cena moves on here. You are talking about the face of the company for the last 5 years vs the cornerstone of the company for the last 9 years. Arguments can be made for both men and who is more important to the company. I will say that both men are just as important as the other but in different ways.

One is the undisputed leader of the company, the other is the go to guy for a guaranteed good performance. It can be said that Taker lost to no one in his prime except to Hogan. The problem with this is Cena is today's version of Hulk Hogan.

For me, what it came down to is how many memorable matches these guys have given us in the last few years. I do not mean good matches, I mean MOTY candidates.

Cena gave us WM22 against Triple H, WM23 against HBK, the Raw rematch with HBK in 07, his Raw match with Swagger, and his WM 26 match with Batista.

Taker gave us his WM 21 match with Orton, the 2007 Royal Rumble close with HBK, his WM23 match with HBK, his WM 24 match with Edge, WM 25 with HBK, his 2010 Royal Rumble match with Mysterio, and of course his WM 26 rematch with HBK.

Comparing the matches, I have to barely give it to the Deadman.

NOTE: Also pulling for the Undertaker based on the hope of a HBK/Taker showdown in the next round, which would break the forums in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back