Q & A Session

Though to sort of go out on top, your last match being a world title defense, and the way the mach ended was a perfect finale for Barbosa.

I felt the same way.

Actually, I had planned with Harthan to be around for Hell in a Cell and even had a storyline planned with Miko for beyond that (I don't mind saying that if it played out anywhere near as well as the notes seemed, Barbosa/SHIT II would have been truly epic, delving into the background of both characters - maybe one day...)

But the tron fall was a perfectly devastating and believable way for Barbosa's character to lurch sideways and disappear. Having him compete in HiaC would have been a step down in my opinion, plus then it gave Ricky Runn the boost of 'retiring' him and someone else an opportunity of being elevated to a world title match.

Aside from a couple of small things (I would have had Barbosa disappear completely after Meltdown 100), it worked out perfectly.

Can Flex become the Kurt Angle of the fed?

Too early to tell right now, but the potential is certainly there. Flex has got a similar setup as Kurt Angle, coming in with a more comedic side, but definitely with the wrestling ability in the ring that you have to respect. So yes, you certainly can get there, but that's a pretty length journey.

I played with my mod powers as much as I could because I knew that was my only shot at moddom. If I had only hung on for another few weeks, I would've gotten a shot at being a real mod, if I remember correctly.

You probably would've modded around when Numbers or FalKon did. Didn't one of them get your semi-mod spot?

Was there a time during the monster title reign that you felt you should have lost the title because

a) you felt an opponent had beaten you?

b) that it would help the storyline?

You probably would've modded around when Numbers or FalKon did. Didn't one of them get your semi-mod spot?

I think I got Thriller's semi-mod spot. Should Thriller have stayed, he would have become moderator instead of Numbers... probably even fed head.

Given the talk of how Thriller almost got modded in this section, what do you think things would have been like with him as head of the fed if he made it that far?

Also, still waiting on an answer to my previous question :p so I'll paste it. You're one of my favorite writers on here so I'd want to know your thoughts.

Ty, what are your thoughts on the Merry Band of Misfits that make up Theron's party? Who do you like the most and least disregarding Theron? Any recommendations on ways I could improve in terms of how I write these characters? (Including Theron)

Where do you see Jon in 6 months?

Hard to say right now. I'd just ride the tag team train and see where it takes you. It's nothing against you, you're still getting your feet wet relatively speaking.

I'm a sucker for these, thoughts on The Beard and how he has evolved since his debut?

I love The Beard. From starting out as the comedic "jobber" team with The Local Talent, to becoming the monster he was destined to be, it's been a glorious journey of transformation.

Барбоса;4825583 said:
Was there a time during the monster title reign that you felt you should have lost the title because

a) you felt an opponent had beaten you?

b) that it would help the storyline?

A. No.

B. No. I know there was talk of me taking a storyline loss at one point during my undefeated streak, but I nixed it as I felt it would take away the actual accomplishment of ending it, which went to Saboteur and helped propel him tremendously.

I'll just ask you the same question I asked Theron.

Jimmy Wonder. Thoughts & prospects?

Real early in your career, but I like the gimmick, it's something fun you could write for quite some time, and switching to a heel magician would be entertaining to see.

Given the talk of how Thriller almost got modded in this section, what do you think things would have been like with him as head of the fed if he made it that far?

Matches would be 200 words in length tops. The shows would be on time always however.

Also, still waiting on an answer to my previous question :p so I'll paste it. You're one of my favorite writers on here so I'd want to know your thoughts.

Ty, what are your thoughts on the Merry Band of Misfits that make up Theron's party? Who do you like the most and least disregarding Theron? Any recommendations on ways I could improve in terms of how I write these characters? (Including Theron)

I think it's great to bounce your character off of, making dialogue feel very natural in your writing. I don't persay have a favorite or least favorite character I guess, I have never really thought about it. I would keep working on each character have their own voices, and also make sure to keep the focus on Theron in the RPs. Make sure not to get too sidetracked with side stories.

Барбоса;4826567 said:
Do you think that storyline losses are underused?

No, I would rather not get into the habit of using them on a more frequent basis. This is a competitive writing competition, and I'd like to keep the spirit of that as the main focus as much as possible. There are obviously great times to use a storyline loss, and often times it's the person taking the loss that requests it. I've had a few storyline losses that I've had and suggested, but I find the challenge in writing a story around the results than the results around the story. The latter is more in tune with a Book This fed rather than an E-Fed, and the former makes things all the more interesting. If let's say I get a world title shot in the Roulette Rounds and win as has happened in the past, it throws everything in massive flux and creates a chaos that I personally enjoy.

You're one half of the tag team champions, do you want El Califa at one point to go for singles titles or do you feel that the tag division is where you'll keep him for the foreseeable future?

How strong do you think the current tag division is at the moment?

Who on the current singles roster do you think would make a good team together?

Can you give some advice to the rest of the teams?

This is a competitive writing competition, and I'd like to keep the spirit of that as the main focus as much as possible.

Personally, I was never in the fed to win anything. I was in it to have fun with a character so while I understand the fear of veering towards a Book This!, the competitive argument never realy flies with me and I think the idea that this competitiveness could be undermined with a few scripted losses is held on to too tightly. That inflexibility can harm the growth of a storyline and the characters involved in a similar way to my problem I voiced with regard to the depiction of the decisiveness of the RP vote.

What is really in the best interest of the fed? Decisive and straightforward victories depicting a vote or something that has a little flexibility to allow a story to go beyond?

Барбоса;4826759 said:
Personally, I was never in the fed to win anything. I was in it to have fun with a character so while I understand the fear of veering towards a Book This!, the competitive argument never realy flies with me and I think the idea that this competitiveness could be undermined with a few scripted losses is held on to too tightly. That inflexibility can harm the growth of a storyline and the characters involved in a similar way to my problem I voiced with regard to the depiction of the decisiveness of the RP vote.

Right but not everyone is as non competitive as you are good sir. They like to win, and it can always be wrote so that someone gets the W, and protecting the opponent if necessary. Look at Runn and ECD last round. ECD had the pin, but ended up only getting a DQ (I"m hungry for an Oreo mint blizzard now) finish. SHIT lost his match to Stormrage due to a distraction from The Swag Pack. Again, I feel more of a challenge writing the stories around the decisions. As a Creative member you need to keep your options open in this regard, always have a plan for a finish if the decision does not go according to plan or if you need to protect someone. There are always ways to give people the win they earned without making it a complete and decisive decision.
However, at the same time if you start doing too many false finishes, then it looks like you're protecting certain people that have been losing outright. If you're losing matches, then you need to take a pin or a submission every so often.

I get you're in it for storylines Barbosa, but you can't take that away from those that write to win matches. If it was just about storylines, then yes we'd just do a straight out storyline finish every week, and I absolutely hated feds like that. What's the point in writing RP's at that point if the decision has already been made who's winning or not?

What is really in the best interest of the fed? Decisive and straightforward victories depicting a vote or something that has a little flexibility to allow a story to go beyond?

If done correctly, you can have the competitive side alongside the story telling side. See the thing is is you're arguing for a strict rigid storyline where the victories are just part of the story, and so you want the flexibility to make storyline victories and losses. I'm on the opposite where I want matches where there is a winner based on who had the better RP, but in order to tell the story, I must have and want to have the flexibility in my storylines to fluidly adjust according to how things shake out.

For example, when Phoenix and I were putting together what we wanted for the ending of our match at MD 100, we knew what we wanted for a finish line. We just weren't sure who was going to win obviously, so we came up with two scenarios pending on the result. If Dave were to win, he would celebrate until Ty looked to attack again, only to show proper respect and friendship with Dave announcing his retirement on his terms. If Ty won he would walk around celebrating before holding his hand out to a dejected Big Dave, help him to his feet. Either way would funnel in to the ending we had where Bateman came out and tried to have Ty and Dave thrown out of the arena, Ty taking out security to allow Dave to speak his final words to WZCW, and then the blackout scene to finish the two legends disappearing.

That's how I go in when we discuss storylines and discuss how to handle the shows. I want an option A if this happens, or an option B if that happens, but I want both options available to funnel into the continuation of the story regardless of the result, we can still get to the same ending. I look at it as a choose your own adventure book but every path you take ends up towards the same ending essentially, maybe slightly tweaked to make sense with those steps, but the same overall message is delivered.

That was a lot, I'll get to Kermit and Darkside later on.

I get you're in it for storylines Barbosa, but you can't take that away from those that write to win matches. If it was just about storylines, then yes we'd just do a straight out storyline finish every week, and I absolutely hated feds like that. What's the point in writing RP's at that point if the decision has already been made who's winning or not?

I by no means want the majority of matches decided ahead of time, not even 5% of the time, but certainly more than it seems to have been throughout my time in the fed.

I just think that all too often that good story/development is sacrificed to portray the vote. One example that sticks out in my mind as being a great ignoring of the decisiveness of the vote for the greater good was the triple threat between you, me and Gordito. You won the vote unanimously but did not win the match decisively with it taking brutal punishment to finish Gordito and a massive move/bad luck to stop Barbosa, while at the same time still showing Ty as superior. Everyone benefited.

At the opposite end of the scale, you have a tag team blown out of the water on a PPV, which really benefits no one in the match. The winners get nothing from it while the losers are made to look like shit.

While it can be difficult to write, that idea of looking good in defeat is all too frequently missed out on in my opinion.

I would also be much like yourself in how to book a feud - have a set direction for a cycle and then plug in the results of the RP vote to get you where you want to go but always have an alternative should things not go to the broader plan for whatever reason - I remember this happening at least twice during my short tenure on Creative. Empire did not live up to the planned feud we had booked for them against BarboSHIT and despite me having worked out an interwoven booking for the Tag Team Tournament with several contingencies, none of them worked out the way we wanted.

"The best laid plans..." and all.

Барбоса;4827545 said:
I by no means want the majority of matches decided ahead of time, not even 5% of the time, but certainly more than it seems to have been throughout my time in the fed.

I just think that all too often that good story/development is sacrificed to portray the vote. One example that sticks out in my mind as being a great ignoring of the decisiveness of the vote for the greater good was the triple threat between you, me and Gordito. You won the vote unanimously but did not win the match decisively with it taking brutal punishment to finish Gordito and a massive move/bad luck to stop Barbosa, while at the same time still showing Ty as superior. Everyone benefited.

We're basically in agreement with this. I'm also a proponent of writing all competitors really strong in any match I write, regardless of the results whether a person wins 7-0 or 4-3.

At the opposite end of the scale, you have a tag team blown out of the water on a PPV, which really benefits no one in the match. The winners get nothing from it while the losers are made to look like shit.
This I also am in agreement with. I didn't get that, the only time there should be a squash, is if there's a no show.

While it can be difficult to write, that idea of looking good in defeat is all too frequently missed out on in my opinion.

Seriously, we're arguing the same point from just every so slightly different angles.

I would also be much like yourself in how to book a feud - have a set direction for a cycle and then plug in the results of the RP vote to get you where you want to go but always have an alternative should things not go to the broader plan for whatever reason - I remember this happening at least twice during my short tenure on Creative. Empire did not live up to the planned feud we had booked for them against BarboSHIT and despite me having worked out an interwoven booking for the Tag Team Tournament with several contingencies, none of them worked out the way we wanted.

"The best laid plans..." and all.

And sometimes that can't be helped unfortunately. I've had storylines fray apart immediately with no chance of revival. It's just part of the job.

Барбоса;4827601 said:
Well, we did contemplate some strange storyline where it was revealed that Barbosa thought he was Ty Burna...

Actually that wasn't the strangest. The one where you came up with the idea of Barbosa and Ty actually being the same person, like Barbosa is a split personality of Ty and/or vice versa was probably the weirdest one I believe. The fact we'd have to retcon every interaction in some way would have been the craziest part. Here we have Tybosa beating the hell out of himself in HIAC and it's somehow a legitimate match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back