Peyton Manning Out 8-10 Weeks

Big Sexy

Deadly Rap Cannibal
And the Colts season is over. Best case scenario he misses half the season and worst case scenario he misses the entire year. With Manning the Colts are Super Bowl contenders. Without Manning the Colts are one of the worst teams in the league. That's how important he is to this franchise. Kerry Collins is a shell of his former self (let's face it, his original self wasn't anything to brag about) and won't be able to do much and Curtis Painter wasn't exactly blowing people away in the pre season. If the Colts were smart they'd go pick up David Garrard because he is easily a better option then anyone else on the current roster.

The Colts don't have the luxury of a good enough team and good enough back up qb to still have a winning record like the Patriots did when Brady went down. Just like that year, however, this year will seem like something is missing in the NFL. The Colts have gone to the playoffs 9 straight seasons and have made it 11 out of the 13 years Peyton was starter. This year the 9 straight streak will end.

This also makes the AFC South one of the worst divisions in football. The Texans will finally get over the hump and make the playoffs pretty much by default. The Titans are awful, the Jags suck, and now the Colts will be fighting to just not finish last.

Thoughts on the injury? The Colts situation? Manning's career going forward?

And the Colts season is over. With Manning the Colts are Super Bowl contenders. Without Manning the Colts are one of the worst teams in the league. That's how important he is to this franchise.

I think this statement is contingent on whether or not the Colts can press through the first half of the season without Manning. They face a few difficult games at Houston and New Orleans, with Pittsburgh and KC at home. If they can win one of these games without Manning, they face 4 very beatable opponents in Cleveland, TB, Tennessee, and Cincinatti. Manning is a workhorse and unless he has further complications, he will spend as much time rehabbing his neck as he does watching game film. The Colts do have a bottom 5-7 defense in the entire NFL, but they still could win shootout games as they've done so many times in the past.

Kerry Collins is a shell of his former self (let's face it, his original self wasn't anything to brag about) and won't be able to do much and Curtis Painter wasn't exactly blowing people away in the pre season. If the Colts were smart they'd go pick up David Garrard because he is easily a better option then anyone else on the current roster.

Even without Manning, they still have an explosive offense with Reggie Wayne, Pierre Garcon, Austin Collie, Dallas Clark, along with a healthy and motivated Joseph Addai after signing a 3 year deal. I wouldn't sleep on Collins even though he's learning a complicated offensive system in Indianapolis. Would Garrard be a better fit? Sure. But Collins has a very strong arm himself and receivers who, if given time, can break deep. The Colts drafted O-linemen in the first two rounds so their line should be better then last year, and give Collins more time this year then they have Manning in years.

The Colts don't have the luxury of a good enough team and good enough back up qb to still have a winning record like the Patriots did when Brady went down. Just like that year, however, this year will seem like something is missing in the NFL. The Colts have gone to the playoffs 9 straight seasons and have made it 11 out of the 13 years Peyton was starter. This year the 9 straight streak will end.

I think Collins, along with the rest of the offense, is good enough to manage through part of a season respectfully without Manning. Collins isn't a guy you want starting 16 games at age 38, but he still has value in the short-term because of the weapons he has. Defense is where they are most vulnerable
else, but this team could still put up alot of points. If Peyton is able to come back mid-season, this team should have a respectable( like 4-4) record and be able to make a push. In the worst division not named the NFC West, they still have a chance to make a run down the stretch, with only NE, Baltimore, and Atlanta as difficult opponents in the second half of the season.

This also makes the AFC South one of the worst divisions in football. The Texans will finally get over the hump and make the playoffs pretty much by default. The Titans are awful, the Jags suck, and now the Colts will be fighting to just not finish last.

Which is why the Colts have a chance to succeed in this division. The Jags may now be the worst team in the league after cutting David Garrard and going forward with Blaine Gabbart as QB, and the Titans aren't much better. Houston is a good team with a difficult schedule. I think their season is contingent on Collins just keeping them respectable(which I believe he can) and Manning returning in time for the team to make a second-half charge. If Manning doesn't return by mid-season or at all, I tend to agree that their 9 year streak will be over, but they won't be in the basement even if he doesn't play.

Thoughts on the injury?

Something that he needs to be extremely caareful with. Manning seems aageless in how he plays and if he winds up with rehabilitation not going well, he'ld be best to shut it down and aim for next year. A cervical spine fusion is nothing to mess with and the fact it was his second surgery this year makes it an even greater cause for concern and increases the possibility of re-injury.

The Colts situation?

I still think they'll have one of the best offenses in the league. I think Kerry Collins at 38 with the weapons he has will still allow them to be dynamic, and Addai should receive more carries and be better then he has in years based upon him finally being healthy. The defense has always been their achilles heel and the biggest reason why they've only won one SB with Manning at the helm. There's bound to be more pressure on them to get stops, but I dont know if they're capable of doing so, and they're not a big play defense the way they were five years ago.

Manning's career going forward?

Peyton plays like he's ageless, and it's hard to believe he's 35. Even if he doesn't play one game this year, i believe he'll come back healthy and behind a better O-line next year, which will allow him to run the system that's been tailored for him, possibly better then he ever has. Manning is QB I could see playing to 40 and beyond, and still being one of the best QB's in the league. He is the best player on the Colts and the team is built around him, but there are plenty of other options available to them, including a deep group of receivers and possibly the best 1-2 combination of TE's in the league in Clark and Tamme. Manning will be back next year at the latest in an offense tailored to him with plenty of weapons. What's not to like going forward?

This season is probably a wash for the Colts, if they don't have Manning for the first half at the absolute bare minimum. A neck injury/surgery isn't something you come back from early, either. It kinda heals for as long as it heals, and you can't do anything about it. Personally, if I was Indy, if Manning is out that long, you might want to seriously consider placing him on IR. Yeah, it means he is done for the season...but Peyton Manning is Peyton Manning. He is by far your biggest investment. Give him a whole year to rehab, and let him come back strong next year. If there is no point in keeping him on the roster because your season is shot before it even begins, put him on IR, keep him healthy, and fill his roster space with another player. The Colts have to think long term. If he rushes back before he is absolutely 100 percent recovered, you risk ending his career with one bad hit. Don't fuck with an injured neck. It isn't the same as a dude trying to play with a bum knee coming back too soon.

Goodbye for my chances of watching the colts as since I moved no more Sunday Ticket. Well this news sucks in general. Huge Colts fan here and yeah, buzz kill. I hope he gets healthy and better and stronger than ever. Colts play hard and try to win. ugh...

I think this statement is contingent on whether or not the Colts can press through the first half of the season without Manning. They face a few difficult games at Houston and New Orleans, with Pittsburgh and KC at home. If they can win one of these games without Manning, they face 4 very beatable opponents in Cleveland, TB, Tennessee, and Cincinatti. Manning is a workhorse and unless he has further complications, he will spend as much time rehabbing his neck as he does watching game film. The Colts do have a bottom 5-7 defense in the entire NFL, but they still could win shootout games as they've done so many times in the past.

Peyton is missing 8 games minimum. The Colts will be lucky to go 3-5 which means Manning having not played in a long time would have to go 6-2 just to get them to 9-7 which still probably wouldn't get them in the playoffs. That's basically the best case scenario.

Even without Manning, they still have an explosive offense with Reggie Wayne, Pierre Garcon, Austin Collie, Dallas Clark, along with a healthy and motivated Joseph Addai after signing a 3 year deal. I wouldn't sleep on Collins even though he's learning a complicated offensive system in Indianapolis. Would Garrard be a better fit? Sure. But Collins has a very strong arm himself and receivers who, if given time, can break deep. The Colts drafted O-linemen in the first two rounds so their line should be better then last year, and give Collins more time this year then they have Manning in years.

Wayne and Clark are only two guys. Garcon and Collie are more a product of Manning then anything. Addai is just an average starter with Peyton so without him he isn't anything special and the o line is young adn inexperienced. The Colts also have an extremely complicated offense and Old Man River.. I mean Kerry Collins isn't exactly a good qb at this point in his career.

I think Collins, along with the rest of the offense, is good enough to manage through part of a season respectfully without Manning. Collins isn't a guy you want starting 16 games at age 38, but he still has value in the short-term because of the weapons he has. Defense is where they are most vulnerable else, but this team could still put up alot of points. If Peyton is able to come back mid-season, this team should have a respectable( like 4-4) record and be able to make a push. In the worst division not named the NFC West, they still have a chance to make a run down the stretch, with only NE, Baltimore, and Atlanta as difficult opponents in the second half of the season.

You are severely overrating the Colts talent on offense and I highly doubt they go 4-4 without Manning. If he does come back at mid season then they still have an uphill climb and the toughest part of their schedule. I'd bet a lot of money the Colts don't make the playoffs.

when this was found out i automatically knew my team was fucked this year so much for the hopes of peyton leading the colts to another superbowl in indy (yes i was hoping it would happen!) i expect them to still have a winning record but not much other then that but the great news is its not career threatning but the bad news is....the colts are FUCKED this year no need to even watch their games this year there gonna suck i just hope their passing game doesnt die...simply because i have a few of their recivers on my fantasy football team

The colts are pretty much F'd in the a at this point without Manning. The colts have a good players but without Manning they don't have a good team, Manning is the heart and soul of Indy and without him they are sitting ducks until he heals.

Kerry Collins is pretty much useless and is not gonna do much for the Colts offense. Their team has never been known for its defense and without its Offense firing on all cylinders they have no hope. The only way the Colts do well is if their defense steps up in a gargantuan way or Addai has a 200 yard game and 3 touchdowns every game, neither of those are gonna happen so they might as well scrap this season and concentrate on the next.

This could be a good thing for the Colts in the long run. They could end up with the worst record in the league and parlay that into having Andrew Luck spend a season or two as understudy to Peyton Manning.

Obviously, the Colts have a decision to make. Do you trade for another starting quality QB this season, try to compete, and figure that the new QB will backup Manning once Manning comes back but he'll be the future QB in the long OR do they just view this season as a lost season, and just accept that reality?

Honestly, the Colts have been so good for so long that getting a very high draft pick, possibly #1 overall, might not be the worst thing in the world. With the rookie salary scale now in effect, high picks, including #1 overall, will be much more tradeable and desireable. If the Colts could get that #1 overall pick, they'd have teams beating down the door and offering a ridiculous price for it.

This Manning injury could be a blessing in disguise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back