Peyton Manning Wins MVP Award

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
From ESPN.com
NEW YORK -- Maybe the award should be renamed Most Valuable Peyton.

Peyton Manning became the first player to win The Associated Press NFL Most Valuable Player honor four times. The Indianapolis Colts' sensational quarterback romped to the award Saturday in balloting by 50 sports writers and broadcasters who cover the league.

He received 39½ votes to 7½ for Drew Brees of New Orleans. Only four players -- all quarterbacks -- earned votes. The other two were Philip Rivers of San Diego (2) and Brett Favre of Minnesota (1).

Manning also won in 2003, 2004 and 2008, breaking a tie with Favre at three MVPs.

Peyton Manning got 39½ votes compared to Drew Brees' 7½, Philip Rivers' two, and Brett Favre's one.
"I'm very humbled and grateful to be honored with this award and I really feel like it is a reflection of our team," said Manning, who guided the Colts to a 14-0 record before they rested starters in the second half of two games and finished 14-2.

"I have to believe that starting 14-0 and having seven comeback wins has a lot to do with this award coming our way, and I'm very grateful to all the players and the coaches and our fans, who were a big part of it. There were a number of other extremely deserving candidates."

The Colts play in the divisional round next week and have home-field advantage throughout the AFC playoffs. The Super Bowl is Feb. 7 in Miami, the same place they won it three years ago.

Manning threw for 4,500 yards and 33 touchdowns this season. Perhaps most impressive, he led the Colts to all those comeback victories. The 33-year-old quarterback has started every game in his career, 192 in the regular season and 15 in the playoffs.

He is durable and dynamic, dependable and decisive. In other words, most valuable.

"He's been such a highly accomplished performer year in and year out. Just when you think you've seen his best, he improves upon it," said Jim Caldwell, who succeeded Tony Dungy as coach and benefited from the same kind of performances Manning gave Dungy. "This year is one of those in terms of when you look at his numbers and how he's been able to play consistently well over a long period of time. It's been remarkable.

"I think a lot of it has to do with his drive. He just has an innate sort of will to excel. He never gets bored with it. That, I think, is highly unusual." Manning joined the truly elite of team sports: Wayne Gretzky (9), Barry Bonds (7) and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (6), the leaders for MVP awards in their sports.

"I'm not comfortable having my name on that list or drawing comparisons to those guys," Manning said Saturday. "I think all of those people would probably echo the sentiments that I had before about being very humbled, especially in football which I think is the ultimate team game."

Manning, the 2007 Super Bowl MVP when he won his only league championship, noted the support and stability he's enjoyed in his career.

"I've been the beneficiary of having the same owner, the same team president all four times," he said. "I've received great coaching from our head coaches and assistants and a number of different teammates who have all had a huge impact on me."

But even when Dungy turned over the coaching to Caldwell last year, Manning and the Colts adapted.

"This offseason brought more change than any other year around here," he said. "We have had that consistency till this year, with losing a head coach and Marvin [Harrison], sort of replacing by committee with a group of young receivers. I think dealing with those changes says a lot."

Manning lost his longtime favorite receiver, Harrison, this season. Harrison's replacement, Anthony Gonzalez, went down with a right knee injury in the opener.

Manning simply turned to his latest fave, Reggie Wayne, who had 100 catches for 1,264 yards and 10 touchdowns. And to Dallas Clark, who joined Tony Gonzalez as the only tight ends with 100 receptions in a season when he grabbed exactly that many for 1,106 yards and 10 scores.

Plus, Austin Collie tied for the rookie lead in receptions with 60 and scored seven times. Pierre Garcon, nurtured in dozens of passing sessions with Manning, developed into a prime deep threat and averaged 16.3 yards on 47 catches, with four TDs.

"What he's been able to do this year with Pierre and Austin -- and obviously Dallas had a year that will go down in the record books," linebacker and defensive captain Gary Brackett said. "And I think it really says something when you can work young guys like that."

Well Peyton, Manning has won his Th MVP award. I know the Colts probably could've gone undefeated, and some will say they had the best team in the NFL this season, but I will disagree. First of all, I think the Chargers had the better team, and I think Favre should've been named MVP.

What Favre did this season was more impressive than what Peyton did. The fact that a 40 year old man was able to go out there, and do what he did this season was remarkable. I know a lot of you will probably say, "well he did have Adrian Peterson" but while he is the best RB in the league, he also fumbles A LOT. In fact, some of those fumbles played a big part in the Vikings losing. Besides, for some reason, Minnesota got away from the running game during the last few games of the season.

So what are your thoughts? Do you agree with Peyton being named MVP? Do you think it should've been someone else?

Peyton Manning certainly deserves this award. After all, the Colts would have most-assuredly been nothing without Manning, and can't do a damn thing without him. I have honestly never seen so much of a one man team in my years of watching football, as much as I have seen with Manning and the Colts.

This is fine with me, but I would have gone with another choice: Vince Young.

Think about it. Without him at QB the team is 0-6. With him the team is 8-2. That's a huge jump. With him starting all year they're definitely a playoff team. They almost were even after taht start they were eliminated the next to last week of the season. That's amazing to say the least. Peyton is definitely a valuable player but I can't imagine his team would be 0-6 without him in the lineup. Young literally got every win for his team this year and made them playoff contenders. Yes Chris Johnson was a big help, but he was in the lineup for all 6 losses before Vince got there. Young was more valuable than Peyton, at least in my eyes.

Vince Young was my second choice for MVP as he finished 8-2 and I guarantee if the Titans had made the playoffs, he would have been the MVP. All he does is win football games and that is all you can ask out of a quarterback.

My choice would have been Phillip Rivers. He has a very underrated season lost in all the Favre, Manning, and Brees discussion. Rivers has thrown five less touchdowns but seven less interceptions. He has 250 less passing yards and has a higher QB rating than Manniing. Part of the reason for Manning being chosen was probably because his team had a better record but the Chargers finished on a 11-game winning streak and that's damn impressive and Brees, Favre, and Manning all had their low moments when Rivers seem to had not.
I thought this was Rivers time to shine but he has the playoffs to do that and I think he will deliver.

I also think Phillip Rivers and Vince Young would've been good choices. First, Vince Young saved the Titans. Kerry Collins should've been replaced way earlier in the season. I guess the Titans were trying to ride off the magic from the previous season. Think about, had Young not taken over as starting QB, we could be talking about who the Titans would draft for the #1 pick.

Phillip Rivers has been the most underrated QB of this season. Sure he might get as much press and glory as Favre or Manning, but he did a hell of a job in leading the Chargers to a very quiet great season.

Peyton Manning was a good choice for MVP. He was the best player on the best team and his numbers were very impressive. The only other guys that should have been considered were Chris Johnson, Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers, and Brett Favre.

All four of the top quarterbacks had very similar numbers so it makes sense to give the award to Manning because the Colts ended up with the best overall record. I really think Chris Johnson should have gotten more recognition because what he did this season was nothing short of remarkable.

Now for a rant. To all the people who think Vince Young should have been considered for the award: What the fuck are you smoking? He only started 10 games, he threw for less then 2,000 yards, he had 7 picks to just 10 td passes, and his quarterback rating was only 82.8.

I know everyone is saying "but he went 8-2 and turned the Titans season around." No. Centering the offense around Chris Johnson and benching Kerry Collins is what turned the Titans season around. Don't get me wrong I like Vince Young and what he did this season was impressive, but in no way, shape, or form was he MVP material. Vince Young came in, made some plays, and took care of the football which is something Kerry Collins failed miserably at. However, it was Chris Johnson who was the most responsible for the Titans turnaround.

I think if the Titans would have made the playoffs, VY would have won MVP. Manning is a great choice. The guy is just an absolute stud and the best QB in the league. Well deserved.

Very good choice by the voters. This speaks volumes for the talent and adaptability of Peyton Manning. He lost two solid receivers and had two unknowns to throw to, yet he still persevered, and in the process made those players better.

I think Brett Favre should have never been considered for the trophy. He spent most of the offseason messing around with the thought of returning...then a week or two before training camp, he announces he wants to join the Vikings. Brad Childress personally chauffeurs him from the airport to camp, and caters to his every whim throughout the season. Then Favre bitches because he doesn't want to sit on the bench after struggling in a game. Sorry, that's your head coach...you're a player. Deal with it. He contributed more to the internal strife on his team than anything. That's no candidate for the MVP award.

And Vince Young, as good as he was and how his team turned things around, is more of a candidate for Comeback Player of the Year or something like that. If he had played all season, and his team had an impressive record and made the playoffs, then I think he would be looked at as a contender. But it was too little, to late.

Peyton deserves to be the MVP. Peyton is the Colts without him the there is no way the Colts make the playoffs. They have very little running game and rookie receivers in Garcon and Collie. Peyton made those two receivers look like studs out there. PEyton just makes everyone around him better especially the receivers he makes it hard for you to drop the ball since he puts it in the perfect spot. HE reads the defense on every play and then he makes a decision on what play to play.

For all the people saying Vince Young get the hell out of here... Yea he turned that team around but if he played the whole season his name wouldnt even be considered. Did you all forget that the Titans had the best record in the NFL last year. They didnt need an MVP caliber QB there just going to run the ball or throw it to Chris Johnson. IMO all though Johnson would never have won the MVP award he deserved more of an arguement then Young did.

i cant believe that chris johnson was overlooked for EVEN A NOMINATION! the guy broke 2000 yards rushing and with his recieving yards became the all time leader for a single season all purpose yards,i know he won the offensive player of the year but surely he should have been nominated for such an achievement on a .500 team,not to get even nominated is a travesty imo

i cant believe that chris johnson was overlooked for EVEN A NOMINATION! the guy broke 2000 yards rushing and with his recieving yards became the all time leader for a single season all purpose yards,i know he won the offensive player of the year but surely he should have been nominated for such an achievement on a .500 team,not to get even nominated is a travesty imo

First of all, the MVP voting is only for first place, so who is to say that Chris Johnson wouldn't have had everyone's second place vote?

Secondly, Chris Johnson was the most outstanding player as a running back this season. But at the end of the day, Peyton Manning is 200,000 times more valuable. The Colts are nothing more then a 4-12 team without Manning. They have a sub-par running game, rookie receivers (who Manning made good), and a decent defense. Not to mention the quarterback position is of much more importance to a teams success then the running back position. That is why Manning won the MVP.

He deserved it. He was the most valuable to his team.

I feel sorry for all of Indiana when Peyton hangs up the cleats, this team is going to be hurting!

First of all, the MVP voting is only for first place, so who is to say that Chris Johnson wouldn't have had everyone's second place vote?

Secondly, Chris Johnson was the most outstanding player as a running back this season. But at the end of the day, Peyton Manning is 200,000 times more valuable. The Colts are nothing more then a 4-12 team without Manning. They have a sub-par running game, rookie receivers (who Manning made good), and a decent defense. Not to mention the quarterback position is of much more importance to a teams success then the running back position. That is why Manning won the MVP.

This is true, IMO. Without Peyton Manning, the Colts are nowhere near the team they usually are.

Manning has that pinpoint accuracy and precision with his passes that few others do.

Which is why I fully believe that you can't plug just a random QB into their system and get the same results as you would with Peyton Manning at the helm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back