No Taker or Cena: Is this an experiment?

No Count Pup

Just call on me brother
John Cena and The Undertaker are not advertised for WrestleMania. Perhaps WWE is experimenting. They may want to see how future WrestleManias will fare without John Cena or The Undertaker. From a marketing standpoint, does this show lack cache without those two legends? WWE will find out if Roman Reigns, Ronda Rousey, and Daniel Bryan are big enough names on the marquee to carry WrestleMania into the 2020s.

Is this an experiment?

It's not a very good experiment if it is.

This is 2018, people know what's going on. I can only speak for myself but I think it's a safe bet to assume that the overwhelming majority of people know something's going to go down in New Orleans with Cena and Taker, regardless of whether it's announced prior or not. It's been a focal point of RAW for over a month now, you could even make the argument that, despite it being one sided, it's had the best build up of anything. If it wasn't going to happen they wouldn't allocate 20 minutes a week to it, and people realize that. The question has never been, "Will Taker show up at Mania?" it's been, "Will Taker show up before Mania?" because in most people's minds, it's a foregone conclusion he's gonna be at Mania.

This is no experiment. Taker will most likely come out tonight on Smackdown to answer Cena's challenge. I do believe this will be it for Taker and Cena will take the pin to allow the Deadman to retire with a win. Taker will probably headline next year's Wrestlemania class.

It's not a very good experiment if it is.

This is 2018, people know what's going on. I can only speak for myself but I think it's a safe bet to assume that the overwhelming majority of people know something's going to go down in New Orleans with Cena and Taker, regardless of whether it's announced prior or not. It's been a focal point of RAW for over a month now, you could even make the argument that, despite it being one sided, it's had the best build up of anything. If it wasn't going to happen they wouldn't allocate 20 minutes a week to it, and people realize that. The question has never been, "Will Taker show up at Mania?" it's been, "Will Taker show up before Mania?" because in most people's minds, it's a foregone conclusion he's gonna be at Mania.

I agree that they will have a match at WrestleMania. But it will be an unadvertised match. Though regular viewers of Raw will expect a Cena-Taker match, the casual fan who only watches wrestling once a year doesn't know the match will take place. That is why I sense that WWE is trying to gauge how future WrestleMania financials will be affected when they will no longer have advertised Cena or Taker matches.

I think they're a reason why this was done that way, in fact i can actually think of a couple of reason why they did this the way they did.

First, it's probably to mess with everybody that believe everything they read in the dirt sheet. The fact is Meltzer hasn't done really well in reporting WWE's plans for mania lately and other like him have been fooled a lot by WWE has well, so this is probably one of the reason why they decided to go that way.

Secondly, i think that maybe, they haven't been able to convince Taker to do one more match yet and they are just trying to hype the match in case he's able to do one more match. At best, they might have him do a 15 minutes segment with Cena we're the fight each other and it finishes with Taker laying out Cena.

Thirdly, This might have something to do with Cena's movie schedule. Cena as a new movie coming out 2 days before mania so the studios need him to do a promotional tour to sell the movie plus i'm pretty sure that he's going back to shoot another movie after mania which probably prevents him from wrestling a full match, since Hollywood is very protective when it comes to wrestlers.

So i wouldn't be surprise if they don't have the match that every dirt sheet have been reporting and instead it's turning in some sort of fight segment to make taker look good without having him come out of retirement. I wouldn't even be surprise if the next night on raw they announce that taker is going into the hall of fame next year.

Anyway, whatever the reason is for booking this program the way they did was a nice one since with all the big attractions they have on the card, they really didn't need this one to sell mania this year. Whether or not they have a match on sunday, i feel that the mania audience will go out of their minds when Taker comes out on sunday to beat up Cena.

i think Cena will come out half way through mania and say here i am as a fan of the universe to watch mania, yada yada, then Kid Rock comes out and sings the America Bad Ass theme and taker comes out on his bike for a last minute match.

I think Cena, as a free agent, will come out on SD Live tomorrow and again plead for the Undertaker to come out. This might be when he returns, or maybe leaves a creepy message on the Titantron accepting his challenge.

Also, how the Undertaker "retired" last year at WM, by leaving his hat and gloves in the ring.

Maybe the Deadman is retired, but the Undertaker isn't, and he comes back as the American Bad Ass.

I agree that they will have a match at WrestleMania. But it will be an unadvertised match. Though regular viewers of Raw will expect a Cena-Taker match, the casual fan who only watches wrestling once a year doesn't know the match will take place. That is why I sense that WWE is trying to gauge how future WrestleMania financials will be affected when they will no longer have advertised Cena or Taker matches.
I don't really think the casual fan as you describe it really exists anymore, and if they do... they probably aren't going to be watching WrestleMania unless they subscribe to the network or illegally stream it. And I happen to be under the impression that if they're THAT casual to the point where not only do they not watch but they don't keep up with the product either, they probably aren't going to stream it.

If this type of casual fan does still exist, they're an extreme minority to the point where it really won't make a difference. Wrestling over the past decade has become such a concentrated thing. The overall viewership has gotten smaller but there really isn't a divide between the smart fan and the casual fan anymore, everyone is smart at least when it comes to the current product. It's possible to miss RAW and Smackdown every single week and still know exactly what's happening because of dirtsheets/Youtube/Twitter/Facebook, etc.

I would like to see John Cena win the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal. Then I’d like to see him team up with Braun Strowman to win the Raw Tag Team Championship Title Belts. Right after they win, have the Brothers of Destruction challenge them.

It's pretty obvious to me how this is going to play out. They tested the waters in NXT in a sense and they'll pull the idea to the main roster and on the biggest show of the year with the two biggest stars the company has right now.

When Ciampa turned on Gargano ten months ago, on the bottom right of the screen, the graphic popped up like the PPV was over. Then Ciampa turned and we proceeded to get at least another 5-7 minutes of the beatdown. I believe the graphic popped up at NXT Philly as well. Then Ciampa came out with the crutch. Didn't last as long. But same concept.

The same thing will happen at Mania. You'll get Reigns holding the title. Celebrating. Whatever. People would be pissed. Reigns holding the title as Mania "goes off the air." Then you hear the gong as the lights go out. Taker's music hits. This works on different levels as well because the match will then happen... but it plays into Reigns being the one in the ring when the gong hits since he's the guy that beat Taker in that same ring last year to end Mania. He walks his long walk to the ring, picks up a microphone, and tells Cena to "get your ass out here boy." Obviously there might be more to what Taker says... but that'll be the long and short of it. They then proceed to have a 20-25 minute match that keeps people on the edge of their seat and blows the roof off the place. This accomplishes SO MANY different things...

1.) Reigns/Lesnar get to go on "last." It gets the headline spot...without actually being the last match at Mania. So Reigns gets his moment. Celebration. But it's not the go-home moment everybody is going to remember. Their go-home moment is going to be Taker beating Cena, and leaving the boots in the ring.

2.) Cena/Rock Chapter 1: Announced a full year ahead of Mania 28. Big build. Big match. We all know the story. This year... WWE and Cena pull off the polar opposite of that. Cena headlines Mania with Taker... and are able to do so completely unannounced but still with a build that has A LOT of people talking and thus...TUNING INTO MANIA to see if the match is actually going to happen. This also lower's people's expectations and when the match happens and ultimately delivers, they're going to be eating out of WWE's hands. WWE will have gotten even the smarkiest smark hook, line, and sinker. Cena and Taker will be able to go out there and have fun and put on an amazing match because neither has anything to lose or gain from it.

3.) You get your final Taker match and you get it in a final definitive fashion.

It's Wrestlemania they want the "hype" factor but then again the Hardy's debuting last year kinda stole the show. But my guess is he will show up on Smackdown tonight and say the Deadman retired last year but the American Bad Ass has one more ride in him. Cena I'll see you in New Orleans and you better be prepared for the ass-whooping of a lifetime. Cena has cut some killer promos but this feud should've gotten proper build with Cena interupting him at the anniversary show. Taker needs an appropriate send off match with a victory for sure! Doesn't hurt Cena at all to take a pin here. I still think WWE lost a golden opportunity here for 2 matches. Cena vs. Reigns should've been held for this Mania and not last year's Summerslam. Buildup was garbage and a long wrestlemania season feud with Cena would've only helped solidify Reigns more. Shoud've them and Taker been the last 3 in the Rumble with Taker winning it. Taker then defeats Lesnar for the Title at Mania in New Orleans (avenges his Mania loss at same arena) and retires the next night on Raw. Fitting end to possibly the greatest WWE star of all time. What do you do with the Universal Title then??? 4 Qualifying matches on Raw that lead to the May PPV having the winners of John Cena vs. Stroman & Reigns vs. Samoa Joe at the PPV. Stroman defeats Cena, Reigns defeats Joe and you get Reigns vs. Stroman to kick off the new era at WWE Payback! Then after Reigns emerges victorious you have Lashley's music hit to end the PPV!!!

Anything can happen in the WWE. That's what we are always told. And that's always the case at WrestleMania.

John Cena will face Undertaker at WrestleMania. Otherwise, we have all been unnecessarily, unfairly and sadly swerved. Unnecessary because it has wasted a good portion of time on Raw every week. Unfair because it has been a good build in my mind and it would be a waste not to amount to anything, never mind a waste on Raw every week where other guys could have used that time. And sad because the reality is that, if you are even the most casual fan, you've got to realise that WWE hardly ever explicitly discusses a big deal match in such a fashion as a challenge, and never have it materialise. It gets everyone excited for nothing and that disappointment is worse than just never going there and not having the match teased at all.

That's why I don't think this is an experiment. It is far too explicit a tease for nothing to happen. Taker's return, I presume, will be the big surprise of the event, like last year was the Hardy Boys. That is the way we have been led by WWE. For it to truly be that kind of experiment, WWE would surely just make no acknowledgment of either man. I get what you're saying, but I don't think anybody capable of making the pay-per-view purchase (or equivalent) is naive enough to believe something won't happen. And if I am completely wrong, and nothing materialises, then I have no idea what WWE are thinking.

While I can still say that I'm not exactly looking forward to the match, I think the build has been intriguing. Taker has NEVER been absent or stayed silent the entire time during the build to WrestleMania, so this novelty way of building this match has been something of a fun departure. Will there be a match? Most definitely, but people will have to tune in to WrestleMania to be absolutely certain and I've little doubt that they will.

Since we haven't seen Taker since Raw 25, it leaves in question what his condition is or might be for the match. We're not expecting much from this match in terms of greatness, I think that's fair to say, but it has me wondering if Taker could do something that we haven't really seen from him the last few WrestleMania appearances: reach down deep and really pull out everything he has left and deliver a good, solid outing for himself inside the ring. I'm guessing no, but I could be wrong and part of the fun will be seeing if I'm right or wrong.

I'd have still preferred this match not to go down as my instincts, like those of many, is that Taker just won't be able to deliver. However, it's going to happen so I guess I might as well just hope for the best, or at least the best that we can hope for.

While I can still say that I'm not exactly looking forward to the match, I think the build has been intriguing. Taker has NEVER been absent or stayed silent the entire time during the build to WrestleMania, so this novelty way of building this match has been something of a fun departure. Will there be a match? Most definitely, but people will have to tune in to WrestleMania to be absolutely certain and I've little doubt that they will.

I thought Undertaker did something similar for the build up to WrestleMania XX. I can't remember if there was lightning and thunder to represent his response, but I vaguely remember him not showing up till his entrance at WM XX.

I don't think that the WWE is experimenting per se, I think that they are fucking with us as a means of telling an avant garde storyline and as a means of making it that much more exciting for the crowd if The Undertaker does show up.

This reminds me of when Jericho was coming out with his lighted jacket and would come to the ring only to just up and leave. He got tagged into a six-man tag team match and fired up the crowd right before leaving.

Prowrestling feeds off of all kinds of publicity. If you tell your friends about how upset you are that you went to a show and The Undertaker didn't appear, you're at least telling other people about this crazy fun (but oftentimes stupid) world called prowrestling.

I've seen many plausible ideas for how the WWE is going to turn these moments of horseshit into gold, but for the moment we just have a pile of horseshit. I'm sure that if John and the Undertaker fight, they'll put on an amazing show. This has to be it though, no more pulling a Terry Funk and retiring ten times. Give us all the fun clichés that come with hanging up your boots, and then keep them hung up.

I have a bad feeling that with all the Cena questioning whether the Undertaker has a pair of balls or not that we won't get Undertaker The Phenom but Mark Calaway the Man.

I like the idea by shafe_41 of Taker showing up after Reigns wins to tease that confrontation but calling out John Cena. Puts him down like he did and challenges him to more of a fight. It's a good idea so WWE wouldn't probably do it LOL. But I want him to return as Biker/American Badass Taker since he symbolically retired the Undertaker gimmick last mania.

Otherwise Taker shows up or sends a message on Smackdown tonight or he shows up impromptu at Mania. Cena cuts a promo in the ring at mania or is shown in the crowd or something and Taker comes out as the American Badass, maybe on a motorcycle. Unless they are going to extend this storyline past mania in to a PPV or something bigger, maybe Taker's actual retirement match.

I suppose there must be a reason they're doing this. It's 100% not an experiment to see how Wrestlemania goes with them. They don't need to do that. But I also don't think a Taker vs. Cena match is going to sell anything. You're either already watching Wrestlemania or not. At least that's what I think.

Maybe they're keeping it for an "unexpected things can happen at WM" feel. Who knows.

Well, I have just watched RAW and SD Live! for this week, and this was the last chance for Undertaker to respond to John Cena's challenge, and it didn't happen.

I don't get it. Usually when they do things like this, the one being challenged accepts it on the last show before the PPV, so that people will buy.

John Cena v Undertaker is a marquee match. John Cena v Undertaker fits as a Wrestlemania match. It isn't like they have had this match numerous times over the years. The last time Taker and Cena fought was back in 2003, 15 years ago. So it is fresh enough to do again.

Also, it is two icons of the industry. This is usually not only a match you would announce early on, but would promote to the moon, along with Angle/Rousey v Triple H/Steph, Roman v Brock and A.J. v Shinsuke.

Other years, they have had someone call out Taker and Taker not respond until last minute. I remember a couple of years ago, Bray Wyatt was calling out Taker for a match at WM31 for weeks. The difference is that Taker responded.

I hope this isn't going to be an impromptu match at Wrestlemania. I hope it isn't like some guy here said, where Cena cuts a promo at 'Mania, and then Taker comes out and chokeslams him. That isn't a match.

You know what I think has happened. I think Taker doesn't want to do the match. Maybe he is finally retired. In the past, Vince has enticed him to "one more match" and it has worked, but maybe Taker is too broken up, and wants to stop.

Taker's last appearance was at the 25th anniversary. He looked like hell. He was gaunt and skinny. Maybe he isn't fit enough.

I would not be surprised if they turn around and make Cena the mystery partner to Braun against the Bar. Maybe they didn't announce one earlier, in case Cena and Taker falls through, and it still means that Cena has a match at Wrestlemania 34.

I thought Undertaker did something similar for the build up to WrestleMania XX. I can't remember if there was lightning and thunder to represent his response, but I vaguely remember him not showing up till his entrance at WM XX.

Yeah, they did the whole supernatural thing with Taker but he never showed up in person to confront Kane or cut a promo. For this year, however, there hasn't been anything whatsoever. No lightning, no lights going out, not even the lights dimming. I guess there was always Taker's "presence" at the very least but there hasn't even been that this time around.

Cena's promo this week was all over the map. People complain about scripted promos but what Cena seemed to do on Monday was take a bunch of bullet points and scramble them in an order that made me think he barely practiced what he wanted to say and do.

Would it be sexist if Cena asked Taker to be his partner in Mixed Match Challenge?

I have no idea what is going to go down at Mania. Two weeks ago I thought this match was a done deal now I don't think it will be nothing but I wouldn't be surprised if nothing actually happens.

At this point I don't want the Taker character to show up, I don't want the America Badass, and I definitely don't want Kid Rock involved, I think I just want an old man to come out and have one last fight. As bad as a movie as Rocky V was, Rocky beating Tommy in the street was still pretty awesome. Taker can be Rocky and Cena can be Tommy. Which I think means Cena ends up with HIV.

I love the idea of waiting for this match. Have Taker come down and issue his response but have it be for next years Mania Main Event. Then you can have Taker say Career vs Career. This gives Taker 1 more year to fully heal from his surgery and have 1 last match that will define his career and he can go out on his terms. Plus I am sure next year will be HOF for Taker so it makes sense to have his last match carry that HOF nomination.

The fans will be more than willing to wait a year for this blockbuster match. And I would like to see Taker at 100% going into the match. Cause lets admit, Taker hasnt looked good at all since the HIAC match with HHH. Every match since has been a shell of Taker and it seems he looks worse and worse every year from a healthy standpoint.

I think this will happen at WM this Sunday and while it may seem strange not to officially book a marquee match like this in the card I do think it makes sense.

1. WWE needs to think of life after John Cena. So not advertising him on the card, though most are expecting him to make an apperance, is probably a way to gauage how business will turn out if they do not advertise Cena and Taker in the PPV.

2. Taker was supposed to retire last year and advertising this match after two emotional retirement fake outs (provided he is going to Wrestle at this year's WM) might be off putting for most fans that invested in him retiring last year. Plus Taker w/o his streak and his recent performance last year (let's face it he was not in any shape or form to wrestle a 20 min match) he might not move numbers anyways. If you advertise Cena vs. Taker at Mania ( a match that is booked 5 years too late) the response might be met with a mixed response, you have a "bonus" or "unscheduled" match at WM between the two people will go nuts.

3. Maybe lowering expectations? We know Taker can't go 20 mins anymore and Cena's recent in ring performances indicates he plans to take it easy in the ring (probably to avoid any injuires affecting his Hollywood commitments). I can see this impromtu bonus match being only 8 to 10 mins maximizing Taker's capability while avoiding any injuries for Cena. Like I said you advertise this match and its only for 8 mins people will feel ripped off, so might as well make this a bonus match.

My prediction. Cena vs. Taker will happen but only after Cena does a promo during WM. Taker will come and wrestle Cena. Taker wins in an 8 min match. Taker's final match is a WM win and Cena turns heel losing to the Taker.

I love the idea of waiting for this match. Have Taker come down and issue his response but have it be for next years Mania Main Event. Then you can have Taker say Career vs Career. This gives Taker 1 more year to fully heal from his surgery and have 1 last match that will define his career and he can go out on his terms. Plus I am sure next year will be HOF for Taker so it makes sense to have his last match carry that HOF nomination.

The fans will be more than willing to wait a year for this blockbuster match. And I would like to see Taker at 100% going into the match. Cause lets admit, Taker hasnt looked good at all since the HIAC match with HHH. Every match since has been a shell of Taker and it seems he looks worse and worse every year from a healthy standpoint.

The problem is, that if you make it Career vs Career, the night after Taker goes into the HoF, given that HoF goes to people who are retired or fighting their last match, it signals that Taker will lose and retire. So it pre-empts the result of the match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back