The Strowman Experiment: Where is it Going?

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
For a while I have been asking myself this question and I don't think any results on Raw have given us a clear indication, as of yet.

Braun Strowman is clearly favoured by the WWE, there is no doubt about it. Whilst Harper and Wyatt went over to Smackdown, the WWE seen enough in Strowman to keep him on the flagship show and left him there on his own, no less. It is clear, at least to me, that the WWE believe that Strowman is ideally set up for something in the future, and when that happens, they want to keep him on Raw to make the most of it. With that being said, they haven't done anything about making him a top star yet. Maybe it could all be down to the opinion that the WWE are keen to make this a slow build to the top for Strowman; defeating rank amateurs and nobodies as anticipation continues to build.

We seen on Raw that Strowman is crying out for top class opposition and now might be the time to give him it. I broached the subject in another thread but, perhaps, Goldberg might be the man to finally test Braun Strowman at the top level. I opined that there isn't much to lose in a feud between Goldberg and Strowman and, in fact, some similarities exist between the big man of the Wyatt Family and Goldberg. Strowman has gone undefeated, albeit against absolutely jobbers, and it is only a matter of time before the WWE start marketing it like that. Moreover, no one would really expect Goldberg to come through the match with a victory. The WWE have been careful to protect Strowman since he turned up in the WWE and he has been proven to be somewhat destructive in a ring. He would go up against Goldberg, who wouldn't have wrestled more than one match in the WWE in over 10 years. This is the same Goldberg who will be 50 by the time the turn of the year comes around. But, more importantly, he is the same Goldberg who made a career of taking on the biggest and best that WCW and WWE had to offer. My point is that Goldberg still has enough reputation left to to give Strowman a rub.

That, of course, is a short term plan. Lesnar, I believe, is the long term goal. The problem with Lesnar is that he is a part time employee who might get bored with wrestling before the WWE can make the best use of him. His win against The Undertaker has put him on a pedestal that someone needs to take him off of. Why can't Strowman be that person? In trading Lesnar for Strowman, you have a young man who is with the WWE every night and can carry it forward in a way that Lesnar doesn't care to do. A WrestleMania match between the two might not be the best wrestling match but it is a torch that needs to be passed, sooner rather than later.

But what about you? What do you feel would be the ideal destination for the Strowman experiment that is currently underway? How far do you see him going?

I don't see Strowman ever going anywhere. This jobber squashing garbage is exactly that, boring and stupid. He can't wrestle and his only good promos were the ones he was with as part of the Wyatts, even in those Wyatt Family promos he was still the weakest speaker of the bunch. Separating him from Bray was a big mistake and now he is just another generic uninteresting big guy. We have seen this same thing a million times. He will keep squashing random people until he gets moved into a feud with Roman Reigns and then gets future endeavored after Reigns has won the feud. That's where I see it going and I really hope I am wrong in this prediction. The guy sucks and there's no other solution unless he gets moved back to Smackdown and rejoins Bray as one of his enforcers.

I don't see Strowman ever going anywhere. This jobber squashing garbage is exactly that, boring and stupid. He can't wrestle and his only good promos were the ones he was with as part of the Wyatts, even in those Wyatt Family promos he was still the weakest speaker of the bunch. Separating him from Bray was a big mistake and now he is just another generic uninteresting big guy. We have seen this same thing a million times. He will keep squashing random people until he gets moved into a feud with Roman Reigns and then gets future endeavored after Reigns has won the feud. That's where I see it going and I really hope I am wrong in this prediction. The guy sucks and there's no other solution unless he gets moved back to Smackdown and rejoins Bray as one of his enforcers.

I don't know how you can say he sucks without having really seen anything from him thus far? I totally agree that the squashing jobber thing is outdated and stale but, if anything, it has made things all the more interesting when he does finally come up against someone of note. As far as separating him from the Wyatt's go, it was absolutely the right thing to do. How many times have Erick Rowan and Luke Harper went out on their own to be singles characters and how many times have they failed? 100% of the time is the answer. The reason for that, at least in my opinion, is that they spent too long with Bray as the underling and now people don't believe that they are capable of being anything different. They have spent too long in the shadow of Wyatt that people truly believe that is where they belong. I think the WWE made the right decision to move Strowman along before he fell victim to the same plight.

Going back to my earlier point, I don't think it is fair to judge him just yet. He spent a long time as the underling of Wyatt, a position that didn't give him any chance to shine. And now he has went on to squash jobbers. I personally believe that there is a lot to come from Strowman and I don't think there is going to be a lot of time before we see some of that paying off. Strowman has the build of a monster type and he is going to be very useful going forward. Think Kane in the late 90's until now, the difference is astronomical. Strowman will continue to be useful for as long as the WWE want him to be but they need to give him the right start. Is this the right start? I don't know. But it's a means to an end really.

I'm a sucker for squash/job matches. I love them. I'm fully entertained by them. It's why I loved Ryback. It's just a matter of where booking goes once they have a set goal in mind for a guy.

When Strowman started demanding better competition, Luke Harper was the first guy that came to mind. He was on the shelf still and there is obviously history there with him and Strowman. Plus it gives Strowman a fresh feud, a new face, and a guy who can work and help bring out Braun's strengths in a match. However the more likely options were Big Show and Mark Henry. Both are credible names on the Raw roster and it's a booking move that WWE would definitely get behind. I'm unsure of what the long game entails for Braun Strowman. I could see them feeding him Show and Henry and he goes over to further ensure that dominance and then maybe he falls to a debuting Samoa Joe or to the hands of Roman Reigns, who we know the machine is still behind.

If I was a betting man I'd say the build is for him and Roman at Wrestlemania with Roman going over and retaining his championship. Where after that? I have no idea.

For someone who's still honing his craft, I think it's a good spot for Strowman. I'm not terribly fond of squash matches, but I think the matches we've seen with Strowman are fine because they're ultimately kept short and Strowman puts on power displays that wow the crowd a little. This past Monday, for instance, even though Strowman had no trouble, it's still impressive to see him running at full tilt smashing a guy into the corner while another is hanging on his back and how he tossed said guy off his back with a judo throw that totally rag dolled him.

As for the long term plans for Strowman, it's anybody's guess at this point. Given how green he is, maybe it's best that WWE doesn't make any real long term plans for him and just sort of play it by ear; you know, look at the responses he gets, judge how they feel he's progressing, look how he does when he gets his first real test and just sort of go from there.

Unless they start accelerating the push a little then Strowman is going nowhere.

WWE has invested time and a lot of patience in Strowman so it's important that it pays off.

Who does he has his first real feud with, I'd go with either of the veterans in Goldust & R-Truth, try and help him along a bit and take it from there.

Braun Strowman is never going to succeed. Ever. He's a complete waste of space. He can't work a match, he can't speak, he has a terrible look (is ANYONE genuinely intimated by a guy who looks like a 7-foot toddler?), and the jobber-squashing angle never gets a guy over for long. Strowman will be a failure. Absolutely GUARANTEED.

he will feud with mark henry soon will beat him then win ATGM battle royal at mania. Or Goldberg spears him next week and thats him done as a star.

I don't find Braun Strowman entertaining or interesting. I never did ever since his debut. This jobber-squashing formula has been done to death with many guys before Braun and many guys that were far more capable of putting on a more believable showing or potential to face established names. Remember guys like Vladimir Kozlov and Umaga and The Great Khali? They all had initial pushes looking like threats. They all had a good start being built up to be legitimate contenders. Then the predictable happened. They got fed over and over again until their values dropped and they became ultimate jobbers themselves. As soon as a guy like Rusev appeared on the scene? That's the exact predictable thing I saw in him. He lost all of his momentum after he was built up to be fed to a major name. The same goes for Ryback. How many times will this happen? Braun Strowman looks like he's being built up to face a big name eventually, but that might be his dead end. The furthest I see him going is beating some established Mid-Carders. I'm not excited for Goldberg and if there is a possibility for Braun to face him, I don't think it really adds much value at this point because Goldberg is old and his best days are way behind him. If Braun was to face Brock Lesnar? I don't see him going over unless 1) they have big plans to push Braun as one of the Main Eventers that won't flounder and 2) if he already defeats some big names before facing Brock Lesnar. Otherwise, I see no chance. He doesn't have a memorable look (even Roadkill from ECW has him beat there) and he doesn't have memorable mic skills. His moves are generic big man moves with no distinction to captivate. Yes, he's powerful, but there have been many powerful big men in the same position. Nothing about him stands out to me. No charisma either. But hey, who knows? If Husky Harris can switch gears and become a totally different character that is nothing like his former self...Strowman might also be able to develop something. For the meantime though, I'm indifferent.

I won't be a naysayer. People here were saying Rusev was just another foreign monster heel that will do just as well as Koslov, and now he is a multiple time US Champion who is featured in high profile matches consistently. Braun Strowman could be just as successful if not more. It seems WWE have taken a special interest in him as they threw him in with the Wyatt Family and now he has the Jobber Killing spot on the roster, which I am happy to see has returned. I doubt they will feed Bill Goldberg to him because 1. Goldberg gives a rub to a wrestler just as much as Lesnar does and 2. WWE isn't going to make Goldberg look weak before the Wrestlemania XX sequel.

If I can put my crystal ball on the table, I see Strowman going more Ryback than Rusev. Maul jobbers and get some clean wins against midcarders before a money making babyface breaks his winning streak. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I love how they are using Strowman now. Before he was just a big goofy looking guy standing behind Wyatt trying to look fierce. Now he's looks like he could legit tear someone's arm off and feed it too them. These squash matches are great and they did introduce us to Ellsworth, so bonus.

Someone mentioned Harper and Rowan, and to be honest the best thing they could have done for Strowman was to get him away from Bray. Being part of the Wyatt's has really not done anything for any of them. All it has shown is that they can be intimidating, but not win a feud. Harper and Rowan's singles run were a disaster and it was a shame. Harper can go in the ring and deserves better. Wyatt has also proved that he needs the family more than they need him. That's why I don't think he will ever be pushed to the main event.

So thank God they got Strowman out of there before he suffered the same fate.

Cant see him as nothing more then poor version of Ryback. And even Ryback was just poor version of Goldberg. Even worst Strowman is just too green for anything serious. He wasnt in any serious match because he is just that green so for now he was limited to tag teams with Wyatt and squash matches. So he would be jobbed if not soon then later down the road. Vince and co maybe love his size but cant see him doing anything serious unless he improves drasticly in ring and starts having good serious promos. And I dont think he can do that.

Come on! He is Haystacks Calhoun after gastric bypass. Add a little Hillbilly Jim, and you got Braun Strowman. They are booking this misfit all wrong. Yeah, I know that they are making him a monster by clobbering all the jobbers. Wrong move. What they SHOULD be doing is making him in the spirit of Hillbilly Jim or the Mighty Igor. Let him be the lost soul that lost his mother cat in Bray Wyatt, and has to go on his own. Let him go against Fandango, Konnor or Viktor. He is perfect for the overgrown kid that does not know hie own strength. Let him carry a whole bologna or smoked bratwurst that he'll chomp on on the way to the ring. Just like an uncouth man-child would. He will be a hit and print money. This maniacal strongman bit they got him doing right now will join the likes of Mighty Joe Thunder. Who? Exactly.

Strowman is just a typical project from WWE (kozlov...khali...etc).

They cook him slowly....and then....they feed him to Roman...or Rollins.

Braun is the TRUTH.

I hate new fans because y'all are so biased against guys who are legit big men they it is CRAZY!!!!

You know by your standards the Undertaker would have never had a career.

Braun is a LEGITIMATE STRONGMAN.

Only people POSSIBLY stronger in wrestling is BIG E and MARK HENRY. He is a legit 6'8 and he moves really really fast.

No he can't do a 360 somersault but dammit he can REALLY toss a guy all the way across a room. Yes I like him smashing jobbers because I want to see what he can do and as of right now I LOVE IT.

I don't like the reverse choke slam as his finisher and wouldn't mind the choke again. Actually I think a powerslam torture rack ala Lex Lugar would be LETHAL.

I was saying let Mark Henry eat when y'all said he stunk and the Miz was better. A JOKE!!!!

I was saying let Rusev eat when y'all were saying he stunk send would be released in a year and I am saying LET BRAUN EAT.....

HE IS A MONSTER!!!!!

Casual fans don't wanna see ordinary. They want MONSTERS who look like they can KILL YOU.....

BRAUN IS ONE OF THOSE GUYS

Braun is the TRUTH.

I hate new fans because y'all are so biased against guys who are legit big men they it is CRAZY!!!!

You know by your standards the Undertaker would have never had a career.

Braun is a LEGITIMATE STRONGMAN.

Only people POSSIBLY stronger in wrestling is BIG E and MARK HENRY. He is a legit 6'8 and he moves really really fast.

No he can't do a 360 somersault but dammit he can REALLY toss a guy all the way across a room. Yes I like him smashing jobbers because I want to see what he can do and as of right now I LOVE IT.

I don't like the reverse choke slam as his finisher and wouldn't mind the choke again. Actually I think a powerslam torture rack ala Lex Lugar would be LETHAL.

I was saying let Mark Henry eat when y'all said he stunk and the Miz was better. A JOKE!!!!

I was saying let Rusev eat when y'all were saying he stunk send would be released in a year and I am saying LET BRAUN EAT.....

HE IS A MONSTER!!!!!

Casual fans don't wanna see ordinary. They want MONSTERS who look like they can KILL YOU.....

BRAUN IS ONE OF THOSE GUYS

Despite how green he was when he was prematurely (IMO) brought up, he has shown signs of progress every week and despite the common notion around here, he can mive very well for his size like you said. I'd rather see him move on from the local jobbers and squash a regular jobber once in a while and move up the card eventually. I agree with you about the reverse chokeslam, that's kinda lame but he's shown that he can add to his repertoire.

If they don't ruin him he can be a mainstay for a while, maybe not a main eventer but a strong mid card heel, but Smarks are too smarky for their own good sometimes and he is suffering from being brought up too early.

In my eyes, Braun Strowman has the same problems that Baron Corbin and Roman Reigns have amongst the modern wrestling fan, he has a background in another competitive athletic field and didn't have to toil away on the Indies for years and fans feel that he is being "forced" on them becuase Vince is high on them. These factors and the fact that he isn't another 5'11 200 pound internet darling who does 450 splashes and corkscrew moonsaults, he will always have a lot of naysayers amongst that crowd. I enjoy a lot of those competitors too but some people seem to forget that the roster should have some kind of variety, not only in terms of work style, but physique as well. Not every match needs be laid out like its Danielson v El Generico.

Strowman is clearly being built up to be brought down by someone eventually. I assume that will happen either at the Rumble or Mania for a big debut for someone like Samoa Joe or Shinsuke Nakamura, perhaps.

Right now, going against Sami Zayn is a great option as it will give Braun a credible victory and also play up Zayn as a true underdog with huge fighting spirit a la Daniel Bryan.

I thought Strowman looked absolutely awesome last night. I'm not saying he's going to be "the next big thing" or anything like that, but the guy shows genuine progress and his displays of physicality are really catching on. The sight of him tossing that jobber over the top rope like that really got a pop out of the crowd and when you consider how high and far he flew, it almost came off as superhuman. When he ran the other jobber down outside the ring made me think of a pissed off grizzly bear; I don't think I've seen anyone in wrestling as big as Strowman with his sort of speed.

His confrontation with Sami Zayn is interesting as it really gives Zayn the opportunity to play up the underdog role that he's so damned good at. Even if Zayn comes out on the losing end, he can still elevate himself by delivering a strong showing against Strowman.

I'm on Braun's side as well. The guy is a monster and WWE is lacking in that department. I also agree with Aquaman when he says Braun looks like a giant toddler with his baby-like face. Braun could use a menacing mask and stop speaking all together. Have a manager bring him to the ring and unchain him to start the match.

Sami Zayn is going to look good flying into the seventh row of fans. RAAAAWR!!

I thought Strowman looked absolutely awesome last night. I'm not saying he's going to be "the next big thing" or anything like that, but the guy shows genuine progress and his displays of physicality are really catching on. The sight of him tossing that jobber over the top rope like that really got a pop out of the crowd and when you consider how high and far he flew, it almost came off as superhuman. When he ran the other jobber down outside the ring made me think of a pissed off grizzly bear; I don't think I've seen anyone in wrestling as big as Strowman with his sort of speed.

His confrontation with Sami Zayn is interesting as it really gives Zayn the opportunity to play up the underdog role that he's so damned good at. Even if Zayn comes out on the losing end, he can still elevate himself by delivering a strong showing against Strowman.

If Sami Zayn loses to Braun Strowman, any possibility of Zayn EVER being truly relevant is dead. I'm not a fan of Zayn, but even I don't want to see him buried to that ridiculous extent.

First, I think that putting him with zayn is a great idea, it give him a great worker to feud with and at less it give zayn something to do since zayn is pretty much at the same level as neville right now so if they can use him to make strowman look good, so be it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back