NFL Draft Thread

Big Sexy

Deadly Rap Cannibal
The NFL Combine starts today so I figured this would be a good time to start this. The NFL Draft is something that I look forward to every year and this year is no different. Come in here to talk about anything draft related. Combine buzz, pro day workouts, mock drafts, number 1 pick debate, who you want your team to draft, keep it all in here.

The draft is my favorite time of the year, right along with free agency. Of course without a CBA there won't be a free agency for now, but the draft goes on and that is awesome. Though without the CBA it makes the draft pretty tricky as it can change some team needs and how you want to draft.

Someone I'm growing on is Cam Newton. I was pretty down on him as I just didn't buy the hype and I really didn't see him that much. From the workouts he has looked pretty good and he seems like he knows his stuff. He comes off smart and willing to answer anything that has been an issue in the past. He is the biggest name prospect in the draft and will definitely help with ticket sales for a team looking for that franchise QB. And everyone knows that I also am a fan of Jake Locker. I know people hate on the guy, but at the combine I'm looking for him to show up and improve his stock. I like what the kid brings to the table and I think he will be a quality prospect down the line for his future team.

I can't wait to see who the Broncos pick. It's most likely going to be the available player out of Bowers/Fairley, but the combine often raises/lowers certain players stock. I know it's highley unlikely, but I will be so unbelieveably pissed if the Broncos draft anything other than a d-lineman or d-end. I love Peterson, but we can get a good d-back in the later rounds.

I just hope Bowers or Fairley can come in and make a Suh like contribution.

While I would go off the walls if the Lions got either Peterson (.00001% chance) or Amukamura (.001% chance), I would be happy with them trading down for extra picks. If they could manage to slip down to the 20's, it wouldn't be a stretch to go for the next best CB available, which appears to be either Colorado's Jimmy Smith, or Brandon Harris out of Miami and get some additional picks. If they can't manage to trade down, however, they should go after Akeem Ayers, who they're projected to pick by a few, because they do need linebacker help aside Levy, with Peterson being gone and Follett more then likely retiring because of his neck injury he suffered. Ayers could be a nice hybrid OLB/DE and would help build a front 7 that is looking better and better.

If they can trade up and get one of the big 2 CB's and not give up much, I say go all the way. If not, I'd like a trade down and get more picks. Otherwise, go with Ayers because of his versatility and potential.

Unlike Theo, Cam Newton is actually starting to scare me more and more each day. Having confidence as a young kid right on his way to transitioning to the NFL game is a necessity, but there is a line and I don't feel like he knows where it is. Saying that he does not look good out there or that he isn't a promising player would be a lie but I do worry for the coaching staff that is going to whip that kids ego into shape because it won't be the easiest thing in the world. I know some people love the Ochocinco's and TO's of football but I'm really not into that style or attitude. I like the guys that keep quiet, play their game and then get out without the ridiculous celebrations and constant trash talk. Of course we're getting less and less of them now as the vets start to fade away, and the next generation comes in. Now here is a question for all of you, Newton or Tebow? They're obviously not in the same class but if you had to choose between them, who would you pick? Personally I'm on Tebow's side just because of what he has done for the community and the fact that in my mind he has a bigger skillset. Oh, and because he doesn't say that he wants to be more than just a player but an icon and an entertainer. Sorry if I offended anyone, just my opinion.

While I would go off the walls if the Lions got either Peterson (.00001% chance) or Amukamura (.001% chance), I would be happy with them trading down for extra picks. If they could manage to slip down to the 20's, it wouldn't be a stretch to go for the next best CB available, which appears to be either Colorado's Jimmy Smith, or Brandon Harris out of Miami and get some additional picks. If they can't manage to trade down, however, they should go after Akeem Ayers, who they're projected to pick by a few, because they do need linebacker help aside Levy, with Peterson being gone and Follett more then likely retiring because of his neck injury he suffered. Ayers could be a nice hybrid OLB/DE and would help build a front 7 that is looking better and better.

If they can trade up and get one of the big 2 CB's and not give up much, I say go all the way. If not, I'd like a trade down and get more picks. Otherwise, go with Ayers because of his versatility and potential.

Jimmy Smith has been climbing up draft boards as of late and the Lions would be stupid not to draft him if he falls to them at 13. He has great size, speed, and is possibly the best cover corner in the draft. He was a little unknown at first but after scouts watched tape on him the talent was there and he started shooting up draft boards. Corner is the Lions biggest need and Smith at 13 is not a reach at all.

Jimmy Smith is awesome and has been sneaking up big boards of late. He is easily the best CB option after Prince and Peterson. If he blows up the combine he could burst into the top 10 and past Prince as many are weary of how well he will perform. I'd be thrilled for either Prince or Jimmy Smith for the Vikings. There are a good amount of players out there that I'd love for the Vikes to grab. And with the success of our front office we are likely to go with the BPA as we usually go that route instead of going straight for a need and reaching.

My Bengals are sitting at #4 and i think Carson Palmer is probably the most eager to see what happens. In a perfect world i see them taking A.J. Green and immediately releasing Chad Whateverthefuckhislastnameisthisweek. This one move can turn them into contenders in the AFC North again. With TO and Chad gone and no longer complaining about the play calling, Cedric Benson re-signs to hammer the ball on defenses. With TO and Chad gone Palmer sees the prospect of throwing to Green, Jerome Simpson (who played great in the last two games of the season) and Jordan Shipley in the slot. As well as Jermaine Gresham at tight end. Palmer will be elated to have receivers who run an entire route and don't just fall down after they catch it. But in typical Bengal fashion they will probably find the person with the longest rap sheet and least talent.

I think getting rid of Chad Johnson would hurt more so than help. Despite Chad's attitude he is still a really good WR and him being there will free up coverage for AJ Green. With him not there the Bengals don't have that options to take some coverage away from AJ Green. Green would likely see the bulk of the coverage and his stats would probably suffer due to that since there isn't much help besides Gresham. I think the Bengals will be torn between 3 potential prospects. One being Blaine Gabbert if they decide they want to grant Palmer his wish of a trade or release. Two being Patrick Peterson, if they happen to lose Jonathan Joseph to free agency. Three finally being AJ Green and that looks to be the most likely option as it gives Carson some motive to stay with some more help on offense.

My Jaguars have found them in a lucky spot in a few ways. They've got Aldon Smith, Cameron Jordan, J.J. Watt, Adrian Clayborn and Corey Liuget all in their range and it is clear that they'll be going for defense first because you sort of need too when two out of three of your quarterbacks are on the injured reserve at the moment. The DT Liuget is actually my pick for the quickness, power and pass rushing that the three hundred pound kid brings. It's hard because I've seen him all over the board in mock drafts but there are some better defensive ends and tackles to keep the upper teams busy and content. I would absolutely adore the chance of being able to land Jimmy Smith but it is out of the question unless trading for a higher pick is an option, which it shouldn't. There is too much depth at the defense positions for trading, not yet. I see them acquiring some form of a quarterback sometime a little later, second or third round most likely. It's always nice to at least know you have that little security blanket in your back pocket but they are not in such a dire need that they would trade up, but it has to at least be in the back of your mind when your starters are having so much trouble with injuries as it is.

My Jaguars have found them in a lucky spot in a few ways. They've got Aldon Smith, Cameron Jordan, J.J. Watt, Adrian Clayborn and Corey Liuget all in their range and it is clear that they'll be going for defense first because you sort of need too when two out of three of your quarterbacks are on the injured reserve at the moment. The DT Liuget is actually my pick for the quickness, power and pass rushing that the three hundred pound kid brings. It's hard because I've seen him all over the board in mock drafts but there are some better defensive ends and tackles to keep the upper teams busy and content. I would absolutely adore the chance of being able to land Jimmy Smith but it is out of the question unless trading for a higher pick is an option, which it shouldn't. There is too much depth at the defense positions for trading, not yet. I see them acquiring some form of a quarterback sometime a little later, second or third round most likely. It's always nice to at least know you have that little security blanket in your back pocket but they are not in such a dire need that they would trade up, but it has to at least be in the back of your mind when your starters are having so much trouble with injuries as it is.

Another Jags fan? YEAH!!!!!

A lot of mock drafts have us taking Adrian Clayborn or Ryan Kerrigan, which I am completely in favor of. GM Gene has been building from the inside out and I think that is the way to build teams. We will hopefully get a good pass-rusher that can make an impact unike Derrick Harvey, who has been an all-around bust. Aaron Kampman should recover fine, since ACL heal stronger than were before the injusry, but he is getting older and we need someone to eventually fill his shoes. Jeremy Mincey had a fine sesaon last year and if he can build from that, the Jags can have an outstanding D-Line with the addition of one of these two players.

But D-Line wasn't the Jags weak point last year. The secondary was seriously the worst secondary I've ever seen. And most of that comes down to the weakness at Free Safety with Don Carey. The Jags brought Bob Sanders into town, and if we can get hijm for cheap, sign him. Low risk with a very high reward. But something needs to be done in the secondary.

Finally, the Jags need a quarterback in the worst way. David Garrard will never be anything than a below-average quarterback who makes a big play every once in a while. But for every big play he makes, he makes three dumb ones. He can't read a defense, he holds on to the ball too long, he throws it behind receivers on simple post routes and he throws the ball away on 4th down. The man is just not able to play quarterback at the NFL level. So please, draft a QB! As long as it's not Ryan Mallett, whoever is drafted will be an immediate upgrade over the piece of Garrabage that gets under center now.

Another Jags fan? YEAH!!!!!

A lot of mock drafts have us taking Adrian Clayborn or Ryan Kerrigan, which I am completely in favor of. GM Gene has been building from the inside out and I think that is the way to build teams. We will hopefully get a good pass-rusher that can make an impact unike Derrick Harvey, who has been an all-around bust. Aaron Kampman should recover fine, since ACL heal stronger than were before the injusry, but he is getting older and we need someone to eventually fill his shoes. Jeremy Mincey had a fine sesaon last year and if he can build from that, the Jags can have an outstanding D Line with the addition of one of these two players.

But D-Line wasn't the Jags weak point last year. The secondary was seriously the worst secondary I've ever seen. And most of that comes down to the weakness at Free Safety with Don Carey. The Jags brought Bob Sanders into town, and if we can get hijm for cheap, sign him. Low risk with a very high reward. But something needs to be done in the secondary.

Finally, the Jags need a quarterback in the worst way. David Garrard will never be anything than a below-average quarterback who makes a big play every once in a while. But for every big play he makes, he makes three dumb ones. He can't read a defense, he holds on to the ball too long, he throws it behind receivers on simple post routes and he throws the ball away on 4th down. The man is just not able to play quarterback at the NFL level. So please, draft a QB! As long as it's not Ryan Mallett, whoever is drafted will be an immediate upgrade over the piece of Garrabage that gets under center now.

1 Awesome! I have a friend now. I'm just recently getting into football, like only recently have I decided on the Jags but I feel like I've figured the most of it out. It's awesome that I have someone to talk specifically about the Jags with, and I'm sure we'll meet again after this. On with the pigskin related stuff! :)

2 Getting Kerrigan or Clayborn would be fine with me but Kerrigan is good, a lot better than sixteenth spot in my opinion and especially if Jimmy Smith is snagged before the Lions can get to them, they're going to want to get the next best thing and that is Kerrigan himself. Clayborn is more in our range and definitely someone we've got to have on the radar, but I do sort of like having options like this at the Draft. You have got so many defensive ends, defensive tackles and cornerbacks in our range that it as long as he Gene doesn't totally go off track, we should have some talent in our hands.

3 I sort of think the problem with both of them however is the major ifs that go a long with both men. If Kampman can recover, if Mincey can build from his last season performance and it sorta begins to worry me. We're depending on so many things going right and if that doesn't happen we're stuck in the same spot we were for most of this past season. Drafting someone for the D Line doesn't totally fix this but at least we know that we have somebody developing that is going to help the team and who is promising enough that we know he'll have an impact.

4 No but when you realize how many times your quarterbacks have been sacked this year, you have to blame somebody and I think the defensive line is just in the line of fire. We have the talent when everyone is healthy and at their best but not everyone is and there is that risk of putting all your support in a few guys like Kampman and Mincey to come back and push the rest of the defense to a level where it is at least reasonably good but if they don't, well, good luck finding a defensive end in a league where most teams are needing the same thing you do, and by the time you're a little bit behind the halfway mark, no team wants to mess with chemistry.

5. Again, it's that if word again. Bob Sanders was once one of the better safeties in this league and I haven't fully forgot about what he did for the Colts when he was the Bob Sanders that Colts fans all loved but now he's injury prone and I wonder if that proneness is worth taking a risk for, especially if he is going to be asking for quite a bit of money, Jacksonville isn't exactly Indy and while it is probably a much more beautiful city, our likelihood of being strong contenders in the next few years are slim. Anything is an upgrade at this point and it could do us a whole lot of good but it could do us the opposite too, I guess when you're secondary is as bad as ours you have to take some risks, but is the risk higher than the reward?

6. This is true and especially if we go without a free agency, what the heck do they do? They can't pull a solid quarterback out of their butt and I think that is the only way that they can get one that we'll actually be proud of. I was reading an interview someone had with Gene Smith and he was tossing around that he believes in Garrard and knows he can be a solid starter for us but you also aren't going to say things like "Oh yeah, Garrard sucks and we'll easily take a quarterback in the draft over him." It may just be Gene not trying to tread on any toes but we'll see because he seemed much more worried over somewhat solidifying the Jaguar's secondary or defensive line rather than the QB position and I don't blame him but he is going to have to realize that Garrard can't bring us farther than on the bubble and that isn't good enough right now.

1 Awesome! I have a friend now. I'm just recently getting into football, like only recently have I decided on the Jags but I feel like I've figured the most of it out. It's awesome that I have someone to talk specifically about the Jags with, and I'm sure we'll meet again after this. On with the pigskin related stuff! :)

Cool! Welcome to the family! Just wondering, though, why the Jags?

2 Getting Kerrigan or Clayborn would be fine with me but Kerrigan is good, a lot better than sixteenth spot in my opinion and especially if Jimmy Smith is snagged before the Lions can get to them, they're going to want to get the next best thing and that is Kerrigan himself. Clayborn is more in our range and definitely someone we've got to have on the radar, but I do sort of like having options like this at the Draft. You have got so many defensive ends, defensive tackles and cornerbacks in our range that it as long as he Gene doesn't totally go off track, we should have some talent in our hands.

I agree. The Jags seem to be at a perfect spot for where they need to be drafting. If they draft any of the three guys you mentioned I will be happy because any of them will have the opportunity to improve the defense, which is the Jags weak spot. The only way I don't see the Jags taking a defensive end or cornerback is if someone along the lines of Blaine Gabbert somehow falls, which most likely won't happen. But I'll happily take either of the three you mentioned.

3 I sort of think the problem with both of them however is the major ifs that go a long with both men. If Kampman can recover, if Mincey can build from his last season performance and it sorta begins to worry me. We're depending on so many things going right and if that doesn't happen we're stuck in the same spot we were for most of this past season. Drafting someone for the D Line doesn't totally fix this but at least we know that we have somebody developing that is going to help the team and who is promising enough that we know he'll have an impact.

Which is why I think we go with a defensive end in the first round. Kampman recovered from the same injury before last season, except it was on his other leg. The ACL is actually stronger after it heals than before it was injured, so I am confident Kampman will return to form. Mincey, I'm not sure if he will have another good year. I hope he does, but you just never know. If the Jags are able to draft the right guy for the defensive line, which they've been doing since GM Gene has taken over, then there will be much less concern.

4 No but when you realize how many times your quarterbacks have been sacked this year, you have to blame somebody and I think the defensive line is just in the line of fire. We have the talent when everyone is healthy and at their best but not everyone is and there is that risk of putting all your support in a few guys like Kampman and Mincey to come back and push the rest of the defense to a level where it is at least reasonably good but if they don't, well, good luck finding a defensive end in a league where most teams are needing the same thing you do, and by the time you're a little bit behind the halfway mark, no team wants to mess with chemistry.

The secondary was also a reason for the lack of sacks. Even if the quarterback was under pressure they were able to find an open reciever to throw to. The Jags weakness is defense, which is weird to say after the great defenses they had over the course of the decade. But that is the side of the ball that really needs to be addressed.

5. Again, it's that if word again. Bob Sanders was once one of the better safeties in this league and I haven't fully forgot about what he did for the Colts when he was the Bob Sanders that Colts fans all loved but now he's injury prone and I wonder if that proneness is worth taking a risk for, especially if he is going to be asking for quite a bit of money, Jacksonville isn't exactly Indy and while it is probably a much more beautiful city, our likelihood of being strong contenders in the next few years are slim. Anything is an upgrade at this point and it could do us a whole lot of good but it could do us the opposite too, I guess when you're secondary is as bad as ours you have to take some risks, but is the risk higher than the reward?

If he askes for quite a bit of money, the Jags won't sign him. The risk will be be worth the reward. But if the Jags are able to get him for cheap, then the risk is definitely worth taking. Anything is an improvement over Don Carey.

I'm saying if a lot during this because the Jags are rebuilding. They need a lot of things to go their way if they want to return to the playoffs and possibly play for a Division Title.

6. This is true and especially if we go without a free agency, what the heck do they do? They can't pull a solid quarterback out of their butt and I think that is the only way that they can get one that we'll actually be proud of. I was reading an interview someone had with Gene Smith and he was tossing around that he believes in Garrard and knows he can be a solid starter for us but you also aren't going to say things like "Oh yeah, Garrard sucks and we'll easily take a quarterback in the draft over him." It may just be Gene not trying to tread on any toes but we'll see because he seemed much more worried over somewhat solidifying the Jaguar's secondary or defensive line rather than the QB position and I don't blame him but he is going to have to realize that Garrard can't bring us farther than on the bubble and that isn't good enough right now.

This year's draft is loaded with quarterbacks. There will still be quality guys lefts in the second, third, hell, maybe even fourth rounds. The Jags desperately need to target this position because even if they think Garrard is good enough, he is getting up there in age. So at the very least they need top draft someone to develop for the future.

Some combine notes from today:

-Ryan Mallet has a freaking cannon. The guy was just bulleting it and showed some good mechanics.

-Jake Locker really impressed me today. His footwork was excellent, he made some accurate throws, and ran a 4.52 40. I think highly of Locker (more so than most) and I still buy that he'll be a franchise QB and I'm confident he'll be a top 15 pick come draft day if his workouts continue to impress.

-AJ Green has some competition. Julio Jones absolutely stole the show today. He ran a 4.39 and a 4.4 in the 40 today, had a broad jump high of 11'3'', and an excellent vertical. He pretty much outperformed Green in every category. I still think Green will go first at WR, but Jones may have moved his way into the top 10. St. Louis might lose out as he seemed like a perfect fit for the Rams.

It's looking like the top 11 players taken are going to be the following (no particular order):

Da'quan Bowers (probable top 5 pick)
Nick Fairley (probable top 5 pick)
Marcell Dareus (probable top 5 pick)
Blaine Gabbert
Cam Newton
Patrick Peterson
Prince Amukamura
Julio Jones
AJ Green
Von Miller
Robert Quinn

I love the defensive depth of this draft and the fact that the 'Skins have the tenth pick. Other 'Skins fans are hoping for us to draft a QB, but I hope to Christ that Shanahan passes on Gabbert and Newton and instead gets another pass rusher to complement Orakpo (I'm thinking Quinn's our guy). It's too bad Locker had such a great combine; I was hoping that he'd fall to the second and we'd be able to pick him up in that round without having to forgo the opportunity of picking up a defensive stud with our first pick. That being said, I'd much rather have the DE or OLB than Locker.

A couple guys not in your top 11 that could be picked are int hat area are JJ Watt and Jimmy Smith. Watt is a DE out of Wisconsin and will almost ceratainly be a top 10 pick. Kiper currently has him going at 6 to the Browns. Jimmy Smith is the third best corner in the draft but only because his competition is so good. I'm hoping he stays out of the top 11 and goes to the Lions at 13 but that remains to be seen.

Locker may not be around in the second round but there will still be some good qb's available. Andy Dalton out of TCU is a guy who had another great season and scouts who watch him on film have really been impressed. He may not be the sexy pick but he is very accurate and has some good mobility. He may not seem to have the upside of Locker but the bust potential is also lower. I could easily see him having a good career as a starter.

I was looking at the draft board and I would really like it if the Broncos actually took Peterson. I'm not a Broncos fan or anything, I'd just like to see Peterson and Bailey working together. Peterson really impressed me at LSU, and not only that, but he had an AWESOME combine workout. He could potentially be the best pick coming out of the draft this year, and he could easily make a great initial impact and have a nice rookie year. That being said, the Broncos are also very interested in Fairley, and he'd be a good pick for there team too. Lots of possibilities.

This thread kind of got lost in the shuffle but with the draft a week away there can be some good discussion. I'll ask a couple questions to get it going.

1. Cam Newton is the front runner to be the number one pick, do you like the move by Carolina?

2. What do you want to see from your team in the first round?

As far as Newton goes, I like the pick. I think Gabbert is overrated and I'm not sure how he'll do in the NFL. Because of that I have Newton as the number one qb. Cam Newton is a high risk, high reward guy. I'm leaning towards him being more of a reward player. The Panthers coach Ron Rivera said he wanted a franchise qb and he obviously doesn't think Jimmy Clausen is that guy.

For my Detroit Lions they need a cornerback more then any other position. There is a chance that Prince Amakamura falls to them at 13 which would be a no brainer. Otherwise I'd like them to look them to take one of three guys in this order: CB Jimmy Smith, OT Anthony Costonzo, OLB Akeem Ayers. Smith is a very talented corner who has only fallen because some scouts don't know about his off field attitude. Costonzo is a guy who coul come in at left tackle so Jeff Backus could move to guard. Ayers is a talented olb which is another position the Lions have a need at.

I'm a big Mizzou fan, but I wouldn't argue that Gabbert belongs in the Top 5. I don't really like Newton that much either, not in the top spot. I am just not sure I believe there's a QB worthy of that spot in this draft.

For the Chiefs I think we'll wind up with an offensive lineman like Gabe Carimi or if he falls further than expected they'd grab Pouncey. Seems like the most likely thing to address a need with good value. Linebacker and Nose Tackle also make sense, but I don't think Phil Taylor is a Chiefs kind of guy.

Some of this was taken from the draft LD:

The Panthers had major holes on offense, and while Jimmy Clausen may have been thrown in there too early, with a new scheme and regimen in Carolina he may be the odd man out and the risk on Newton may be enough because if he's for real, he'll be huge in the league. He's got the athletic ability to be a playmaker, its just all a matter ifhe can turn his talents to a pro style offense.

As for the Lions, if Amukamura is there, they better phone in asap and not fuck it up. They would be handed a gift if he dropped to them. If not, I wouldn't mind them trading down a tad to gain some extra picks and go either OL or Jimmy Smith (assuming he's still available). The one guy I do not want to be taken (if they choose at 13) is Bowers. While the guy has talent, he's got a huge injury target on his back and there's depth at this position. Should Amukamura be gone and the Lions pick at 13, I'd like to see them go with Costanzo of BC (unless Smith is there, which I doubt). But I do think they are in a good spot to trade down and gain more picks if the guys they want aren'tthere.

I will be watching, though. I'm very excited to see what Mayhew will do, since he hasn't been too shabby his first two years. But now, with a lower pick, he'll have a bigger challenge at finding value.

In my most recent mock (which will appear later) I have Newton going 1st overall. While I'm not sure on Newton as a prospect, but he brings the most star power and ticket sales in the draft. He is the biggest name in the draft and the Panthers will pick him based off that due to the fact there isn't a clear number one.

As for my Vikings there are number of ways we can go. We can go QB at 12 (likely Mallet or Locker), but I think they are a bit of a reach considering who is on the board. Though I'm all for a trade up for one of them or a 2nd round pick if either is available. Da'Quan Bowers could be around and his potential is worthy of a pick alone. Cam Jordan is more likely to be around and also a reasonable pick. Then there is the rest of the bunch in Tyron Smith, Anthony Constanzo, and Prince Amukamara. All of which could be Vikings after Thursday as we have a need at both OT and CB.

And as promised here is my mock (had reasons, but accidentally closed the window). If you would like reasons for a certain pick just ask and I'll give. Any feedback is welcomed.

Car: Cam Newton (QB Auburn)
Den: Marcel Dareus (DT Alabama)
Buf: Von Miller (DE/OLB Texas A&M)
Cin: Blaine Gabbert (QB Missouri)
Ari: Patrick Peterson (CB Louisiana State)
Cle: AJ Green (WR Georgia)
SF: Robert Quinn (DE/OLB North Carolina)
Ten: Nick Fairley (DT Auburn)
Dal: Tyron Smith (OT Southern California)
Was: Julio Jones (WR Alabama)
Hou: JJ Watt (DL Wisconsin)
Min: Da’Quan Bowers (DE Clemson)
Det: Prince Amukamara (CB Nebraska)
StL: Aldon Smith (DE Missouri)
Mia: Mike Pouncey (OG Florida)
Jax: Ryan Kerrigan (DE Purdue)
NE (f/ Oak): Cameron Jordan (DL California)
SD: Muhammad Wilkerson (DL Temple)
NYG: Mark Ingram (RB Alabama)
TB: Justin Houston (DE Houston)
KC: Phil Taylor (DT Baylor)
Ind: Nate Solder (OT Colorado)
Phi: Jimmy Smith (CB Colorado)
NO: Adrian Clayborn (DE Iowa)
Sea: Jake Locker (QB Washington)
Bal: Cameron Heyward (DL Ohio State)
Atl: Anthony Castonzo (OT Boston College)
NE: Gabe Carimi (OT Wisconsin)
Chi: Aaron Williams (DB Texas)
NYJ: Akeem Ayers (LB UCLA)
Pit: Derek Sherrod (OT Mississippi State)
GB: Brooks Reed (DE/OLB Arizona)

After the first day I have two big winners and 2 big losers.

Winners:

Detroit- Nick Fairley was the biggest steal in the draft. He was thought of as the number one pick just a couple months ago and Detroit got him at 13. There were more pressing needs but you can't pass a steal like that up.

New Orleans- They got two great picks in Cameron Jordan and Mark Ingram. Jordan is a disruptive D linemen who could improve that defense right away. They followed that pick up by getting the best running back in the draft in Mark Ingram. Ingram is an every down back and will work perfectly with Reggie Bush and the rest of the running back corp they have.

Honorable Mention: Baltimore gets Jimmy Smith. Great value and it fits a need.

Losers:

Minnesota- They took Christian fucking Ponder with the 12th pick in the draft. That's all that needs to be said. I was a desperation pick.

Atlanta- They gave up wayyyyy too much to get a position that wasn't really a need for them. I like Julio Jones but he wasn't worth that much.

Honorable Mention: Tennessee takes Jake Locker.

Most shocking pick of the draft has to be that of Ryan Mallet to the New England Patriots. And while it is a shock, I find it to be an absolutely stellar pick. If anyone can coach up Mallet and help keep his head straight it is Bill Belicheck. Mallet, who was probably the 2nd or 3rd most pro ready QB in the draft will get to sit for 3-4 years (ala Aaron Rodgers) before being thrust into the starting lineup. It is a safe pick for the Patriots. They are quite possibly set for the future at QB and won't have to scurry to find a replacement now as they have one right under their nose.

Man, I haven't made a post in the sports section in months.

The Steelers drafted Heyward in the first round and I absolutely love the pick. People were bitching about not taking Williams but I value qb pressure more than anything else. Yes our secondary is complete shit but our defensive line didn't help them at all. With all the injuries and the lack of depth our line went to shit which resulted in no pressure on the qb from our front 3. Heyward now adds depth and in a year or two he'll be playing along side Ziggy. It was the right choice.

Our second pick was a lineman from Florida. He should be good and he should add depth. We can say bye bye to Willie Colon. The Steelers in recent years have nailed the second round pick. It also helps that he played along side our center at Florida. I also believe he is versatile and the Steelers love that on the line. His versatility probably made him a second round draft pick. He's not going to be a sure thing but the Steelers usually know what they are doing. You know, in Kevin Colbert we trust.

In the third round we drafted the other Texas cb. I have no problems. He'll be a good nickelback and he can't be worse than Willie Gay.

I am not going to comment on the rest because I know nothing about them. I have faith because the Steelers usually find talent every where. Just think the biggest play of our season was made by a 6th round rookie.

I also want to comment on the Locker hate. I don't understand it at all. A year ago he was going to be the first overall pick but he decided to go back to school. I think Locker will be a solid pro. At least he'll be an upgrade over Young. Locker is mobile, can make throws on the run and he produced in college without a lot of talent. He has Johnson and some solid receivers in Tennessee. I think he'll have a productive career.

I also want to comment on the Locker hate. I don't understand it at all. A year ago he was going to be the first overall pick but he decided to go back to school.

And in that year scouts were able to evaluate him more. Instead of showing improvement in the areas of concern he regressed in those areas and the same scouts that had him as a potential number 1 pick the year before, suddenly had him as a borderline first round pick.

I think Locker will be a solid pro. At least he'll be an upgrade over Young.

According to what? Vince Young had a far more impressive and successful college career and was rated higher going into his draft then Locker was going into this one.
Locker is mobile, can make throws on the run and he produced in college without a lot of talent.

His talent was not as bad as people make it out to be and his production wasn't overly spectacular. His completion % was abysmal all throughout college and he had a lot of unforced errors.
He has Johnson and some solid receivers in Tennessee. I think he'll have a productive career.

You don't draft a qb 8th overall if you "think" he'll have a "productive" career. You can find a guy like that in free agency for a lot less money. You want a franchise qb with a top 10 pick. Locker has all the intangibles, leadership abilities, and athleticism but he struggles with the most important part of being a quarterback; Throwing the football accurately. He has always struggled with his accuracy especially in the pocket to moving targets down field. This isn't college where he can get by just scrambling around and finding stationary targets. I see him as a solid backup and maybe occasional starter but nothing more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back