NFL Draft Thread

Well the draft is officially over and without the ability to go after UDFA I'm gonna give an overview on my Vikings draft.

1(12). Christian Ponder (QB) Florida State

-Yeah yeah we've all heard how much of a reach it was or how terrible a move is, but he was our guy and we wouldn't have got him in round 2. You can also say we could have taken another QB, but I think it is clear that Frazier and Musgrave love what Ponder brings to the table. His arm strength is a bit of a question mark, but it is good enough for him to have a solid career in this league. I look for him to be in from day one for the Vikings.

2(43). Kyle Rudolph (TE) Notre Dame

-And here is where the Vikes go their usually route and select the BPA. Tight end was an immediate need, but Rudolph was the top guy on the board and he was too much for the Vikings to turn day. There is no doubt in my mind he'll see a lot of playing time this year as we'll roll out some two TE sets with him and Shiancoe. He won't start from day one, but he certainly will have an impact and could develop into that guy for Ponder.

4(106). Christian Ballard (DT) Iowa

-This is another absolutely stellar pick from the Vikes. Ballard had a late 1st-mid 2nd grade and we managed to nab him in the 4th. He has some off the field issues, but it is well worth the risk at this point. Ballard is athletic and could start right away due to Kevin Williams being suspended the first four games from the water pill saga last year. Look for Ballard to make an impact much sooner than later.

5(139). Brandon Burton (CB) Utah

-Another excellent value pick for the Vikes. Burton could come in right away and be our nickelback. He has all the skills and gives us the much needed depth at CB. He was a good leader on the Utah defense, he plays the run, and he can tackle. Solid press CB and he has the smarts to adjust to our cover 2. Again a BPA pick and it was a good one.

6(168). DeMarcus Love (OG) Arkansas
6(170). Mistral Raymond (CB/S) South Florida
6(172). Brandon Fusco (C) Slippery Rock
6(200). Ross Homan (OLB) Ohio State

-Great selections in the 6th and again BPA at much needed positions. Love and Fusco have the chance to start, but will likely be our prime backups on the talent. Both are strong and talented kids. Homan is a good player who should make an impact on special teams. Reminds me of current Viking Ben Leber in terms that he isn't flashy, but does everything well. Could compete with Erin Henderson for the starting job if Ben leaves in FA. Raymond is a potential pick. He has the game, but he is pretty raw. I think he is likely to find himself on the practice squad, but if he can make an impact in practice or on special teams he'll find his way on the team as we are weak in the secondary.

7(215). D'Aundre Reed (DE) Arizona
7(236). Stephen Burton (WR) West Texas A&M

-Again good value picks. Reed has a strong shot at making the team, especially if Edwards leaves in free agency. He played well as a backup at Arizona and he has the size and strength to make it in the NFL. Should be a good rotational guy (ala Brian Robison). Really like the pick. Burton, just like Raymond is likely a practice squad guy. He is a thick bodied WR and sort has a Josh Morgan feel to him. Could make the team if Rice leaves, but I think the practice squad will fit him better and give him a year to further develop himself.

Overall I think the Vikes land a B in the draft grade. Ponder is really the only questionable pick and we made up for that with solid, great value picks down the line. If Ponder pays off this could be the defining draft for Spielman and keep him his job. If not he knows where the door is.

And in that year scouts were able to evaluate him more. Instead of showing improvement in the areas of concern he regressed in those areas and the same scouts that had him as a potential number 1 pick the year before, suddenly had him as a borderline first round pick.
If I am not mistaken he played with some injuries. Not a big deal. He regressed because his talent lacked and he played injured.

According to what? Vince Young had a far more impressive and successful college career and was rated higher going into his draft then Locker was going into this one.
Who cares? Young played with far more talent in Texas. Locker accomplished a decent amount with pretty much nothing. Name someone on Washington's team on the offensive side? You probably cant. Young had like one good year. I knew he was going to be overrated. And there's another reason why I knew he wasn't going to be successful but I wont get into that.

His talent was not as bad as people make it out to be and his production wasn't overly spectacular. His completion % was abysmal all throughout college and he had a lot of unforced errors.
He made a lot of mistakes because he was the best thing they had on offense pretty much his entire career. Put him on a team like Oklahoma, Florida or a team with actual talent and he would have performed.

You don't draft a qb 8th overall if you "think" he'll have a "productive" career.
That's why Carolina drafted Newton :shrug:
You can find a guy like that in free agency for a lot less money.
Not really, most FA Qb's are old as shit.
You want a franchise qb with a top 10 pick
Not really, I know you said top ten, but the Steelrs drafted Big Ben with the 11th pick just because they thought he could fit their system. Not knowing he'll become a top 3 Qb.

Locker has all the intangibles, leadership abilities, and athleticism but he struggles with the most important part of being a quarterback; Throwing the football accurately.

Kind of like Cam Newton, but he went first. Sort of like Locker if he'd have gone out last year...

He has always struggled with his accuracy especially in the pocket to moving targets down field. This isn't college where he can get by just scrambling around and finding stationary targets. I see him as a solid backup and maybe occasional starter but nothing more.
He struggled because he had to run to save his life. His teams have always sucked. He had to do it all. He also showed signs in College football that made people think he could be a top 10 pick. And his faults are coachable with the right steps.

Cant criticize the man before he's ever seen live NFL action. Quit with the hate...

If I am not mistaken he played with some injuries. Not a big deal. He regressed because his talent lacked and he played injured.

Every football player plays with some injuries. He had nothing that should have affected his play the way it did. His talent was better this year then last year so that's not an excuse either.
Who cares? Young played with far more talent in Texas. Locker accomplished a decent amount with pretty much nothing. Name someone on Washington's team on the offensive side? You probably cant. Young had like one good year. I knew he was going to be overrated. And there's another reason why I knew he wasn't going to be successful but I wont get into that.

One bowl game in 4 years, a shitty completion percentage, and a ton of unforced errors doesn't impress me. Young had talent but don't act like Locker was playing with Juco players. Chris Polk is one of the best running backs in the Pac 10 and Jermaine Kearse is a talented wide out. He had enough talent to do better then a 6-6 regular season record. If his supporting cast was so bad then why did they win their bowl game in spite of his play?
He made a lot of mistakes because he was the best thing they had on offense pretty much his entire career. Put him on a team like Oklahoma, Florida or a team with actual talent and he would have performed.

Talent isn't a good excuse at all. Like I said he had better talent this year but regressed from last year and they won a bowl game even though he threw the ball like shit.

That's why Carolina drafted Newton :shrug:

Newton has the capabilities of being elite if he puts it all together. He showed that in one year starting in college unlike Locker in 4 years.

Not really, most FA Qb's are old as shit.

Not all of them.
Not really, I know you said top ten, but the Steelrs drafted Big Ben with the 11th pick just because they thought he could fit their system. Not knowing he'll become a top 3 Qb.

Big Ben was seen as a top 10 caliber qb going into his draft. Locker wasn't this year.

Kind of like Cam Newton, but he went first. Sort of like Locker if he'd have gone out last year..

Newton completed 66% of his passes and won a National Title. Locker never even had a completion% of 60.

He struggled because he had to run to save his life. His teams have always sucked. He had to do it all. He also showed signs in College football that made people think he could be a top 10 pick. And his faults are coachable with the right steps.

All I've heard is excuses and you blaming everyone but him. You have to give me something better then that because that's a piss poor reason for how bad he was especially this year.

Cant criticize the man before he's ever seen live NFL action. Quit with the hate...

Of course I can. It's not hate it's realism. My opinion actually has logic and reasoning and is supported by the thoughts of analysts. Yours is based off nothing but excuses and blaming everyone around Locker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back