NCAA Week 12 LD

Bama has no right to play LSU again. We've done that and LSU defeated them. I see zero reason for Bama to get the shot again if there are other one loss teams.

If Alabama beats Auburn (and people are underestimating how big of an "If" that is), then they definitely deserve a rematch against LSU in the national championship game. The fact is, Alabama would have only lost one game all season long, and it was to the #1 team in the nation and they only lost by 3. Every other team in the mix either has 2 losses or lost against far inferior teams.

If Alabama beats Auburn (and people are underestimating how big of an "If" that is), then they definitely deserve a rematch against LSU in the national championship game. The fact is, Alabama would have only lost one game all season long, and it was to the #1 team in the nation and they only lost by 3. Every other team in the mix either has 2 losses or lost against far inferior teams.

And if Bama wins, I'd hope the BCS folds automatically. How in the world could Bama claim to be national champions fairly if they're 1-1 against the team they beat? The BCS was formed to prevent stuff like this and there's been about 1 season where there hasn't been some mess. If this is the best they can do, I'd be pretty ashamed.

And if Bama wins, I'd hope the BCS folds automatically. How in the world could Bama claim to be national champions fairly if they're 1-1 against the team they beat?

So, let's say the San Diego Chargers win the rest of their games this season and then make it to the Super Bowl to face the Green Bay Packers. They then beat the Packers, therefore being 1-1 against them this season. Are they then not really NFL Champions?

Come on, KB. Rematches are fine if they're warranted. And if Alabama beats Auburn, they definitely deserve a rematch with LSU since no other team stepped up and beat the teams they should have. LSU and Alabama remain to be the only top two teams left in the country not to lose to teams they had no business losing to; teams like that are the teams who should be playing in the National Championship game.

That doesn't matter. The whole reason we're told college football doesn't have a playoff is because the college season is supposedly a playoff. Well we had our playoff game between Alabama and LSU. LSU won.

Because LSU won, we KNOW Alabama isn't the best team in the country. Why should they get a second shot when Stanford hasn't had a chance to play for the national title yet? Or Boise St? For that matter, why is Boise St's loss so horrible? They lost at home to a perennial Top 5 team because they couldn't hit a field goal. Sound like someone else?

The fact is while everyone wants to talk about how great the SEC is, the fact is that it's not this year. It's good, maybe the best, but it's not great. The SEC pads its win totals with a bunch of fluff teams, and if they played real competition, their records would be much worse. Alabama beat Penn State and Arkansas, which are good teams, but no one else on their schedule is worth a damn. Kent State? North Texas? Georgia Southern? Seriously? And let's not even get into Ole Miss, Tennessee, etc.

There is no way Alabama deserves a spot in the national title game this year.
So, let's say the San Diego Chargers win the rest of their games this season and then make it to the Super Bowl to face the Green Bay Packers. They then beat the Packers, therefore being 1-1 against them this season. Are they then not really NFL Champions?

Come on, KB. Rematches are fine if they're warranted. And if Alabama beats Auburn, they definitely deserve a rematch with LSU since no other team stepped up and beat the teams they should have. LSU and Alabama remain to be the only top two teams left in the country not to lose to teams they had no business losing to; teams like that are the teams who should be playing in the National Championship game.

The difference in your scenario is that 11 other teams besides the Chargers had a chance to win the title. In our scenario, ONE team gets a chance.

Completely different.

Fuck Clemson. Just imagine if they would have won the ACC by potentially beating Va Tech twice.

I'm rooting for Oklahoma State to beat my Sooners now because I believe they will jump Bama because if we're going to talk about conference strength, Big 12 has the SEC beat.

I don't see Stanford going even if they somehow go to the Pac 12 title game because they would be playing an average UCLA or Arizona State.

That doesn't matter. The whole reason we're told college football doesn't have a playoff is because the college season is supposedly a playoff. Well we had our playoff game between Alabama and LSU. LSU won.

Because LSU won, we KNOW Alabama isn't the best team in the country.

They weren't the best team in the country that night. However, throughout the season they've consistently shown they're the 2nd best team in the nation. No other team has stepped up to take that away from them. All these other teams who've had chance(s) to take their spot are all choking. That's not Alabama or the BCS' fault.

Why should they get a second shot when Stanford hasn't had a chance to play for the national title yet? Or Boise St?

Because they haven't beaten anyone worth a damn, and loss to teams they shouldn't have. Stanford's best win is USC, an unranked team (which they barely won), while Boise's is Georgia (when Georgia was playing like shit). Neither of these teams had any business losing a game this season with the schedules they had.

For that matter, why is Boise St's loss so horrible? They lost at home to a perennial Top 5 team because they couldn't hit a field goal. Sound like someone else?

Because they only had two tough games all year, and when they lost one (against a team who had no tough opponents this season themselves), it shows that they don't deserve a shot at a national championship when there are other 1 loss teams with much tougher schedules.

The fact is while everyone wants to talk about how great the SEC is, the fact is that it's not this year. It's good, maybe the best, but it's not great. The SEC pads its win totals with a bunch of fluff teams, and if they played real competition, their records would be much worse. Alabama beat Penn State and Arkansas, which are good teams, but no one else on their schedule is worth a damn. Kent State? North Texas? Georgia Southern? Seriously? And let's not even get into Ole Miss, Tennessee, etc.

Sly... please show me one team who has a tough schedule all year round? Every team in every conference gets 'easy' non-conference games, and no conference has more than 3 elite teams within it.

Also, I'd just like to point out that LSU has had by far the toughest schedule of any team this season, and they've managed to stay undefeated to this point, unlike anyone else. Their closest game? Alabama.

The difference in your scenario is that 11 other teams besides the Chargers had a chance to win the title. In our scenario, ONE team gets a chance.

Completely different.

I understand what you're saying, but that wasn't his point though. His point was that no champion should ever be 1-1 against a certain team and be proclaimed the best, and I just don't buy that, no matter what system we're talking about.

I'd be ok with the Chargers playing the Packers again, as they would have to earn their way there and would be the last two teams standing. It doesn't work that way in college, which is the problem.

They weren't the best team in the country that night. However, throughout the season they've consistently shown they're the 2nd best team in the nation.
They have? How so? By beating FCS schools like Georgia Southern? By beating Kent State and Tennessee? How exactly have they shown it? Alabama has one good win and one decent win, Arkansas and Penn State respectively. Other than that, they have nothing.

Because they haven't beaten anyone worth a damn
Georgia and USC? :shrug:

and loss to teams they shouldn't have.
Perennial Top 5 in TCU (who has played much better as of later, since you talk about Georgia playing like shit later in your post) and #10 in the country USC?

I think you need to look a little closer.

Stanford's best win is USC, an unranked team (which they barely won), while Boise's is Georgia (when Georgia was playing like shit). Neither of these teams had any business losing a game this season with the schedules they had.
Their schedules are no worse than Alabama's.

Because they only had two tough games all year, and when they lost one (against a team who had no tough opponents this season themselves), it shows that they don't deserve a shot at a national championship when there are other 1 loss teams with much tougher schedules.
But Alabama is not one of those teams. That's the point.

Sly... please show me one team who has a tough schedule all year round? Every team in every conference gets 'easy' non-conference games, and no conference has more than 3 elite teams within it.
I'm not the one making the argument for tough schedules. YOU are. You're trying to say Alabama deserves it more because of a tough schedule, and the fact is they HAVEN'T had a tough schedule.

Also, I'd just like to point out that LSU has had by far the toughest schedule of any team this season, and they've managed to stay undefeated to this point, unlike anyone else. Their closest game? Alabama.
Completely irrelevant argument. Who is to say if LSU played Boise St., that game wouldn't be close too? Or if they played Va Tech?

Margin of loss has no point when there are over 100 other teams LSU hasn't played.

I understand what you're saying, but that wasn't his point though. His point was that no champion should ever be 1-1 against a certain team and be proclaimed the best, and I just don't buy that, no matter what system we're talking about.
I think his point was in relation to college football, so I could just as easily say your previous post wasn't his point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back