NFL Wild Card Weekend LD

We've already been over this. The investigation was tainted by the coaching staff which is why they were the only ones who were punished. I'm happy for the players, honestly. Odds are they really didn't think they were doing anything wrong. Green Bay had a similar thing going on a while back and the chick reporting on it just mentioned it in passing like it was no big deal. Gregg Williams absolutely knew that it was wrong though, as did the other coaches. They deserved the punishment.

And sorry, I gives no shit what Vilma says. I trust the judgement of Tony Dungy more than a guy who couldn't spell his own name if he was blindfolded.

We've already been over this. The investigation was tainted by the coaching staff which is why they were the only ones who were punished.

I'm curious... how did they taint it exactly? I keep hearing this but I don't know what it is exactly the coaches did to make it where it was impossible to prove that the Saints had a bounty program.

Odds are they really didn't think they were doing anything wrong. Green Bay had a similar thing going on a while back and the chick reporting on it just mentioned it in passing like it was no big deal.

Green Bay never had a bounty program either; they had a pay for performance program, which is what the Saints had.

A bounty program suggest that the Saints targeted specific players with the intent of injuring them and taking them out the game. I'm saying the Saints are NOT guilty of this. What they are guilty of is rewarding their defensive players with side cash for big plays, and yes, big hits. Now, pay for performance programs are also illegal in the league, and if the NFL doesn't want that around and wanted to make a statement by punishing the Saints more harshly than they did Green Bay, then fine... make a punishment for that and make it reasonable. But they didn't and instead tarnished the entire organization, their players, and their coaches. This entire conversation is proof of that.

Regardless, it was flat out wrong for him to use the bounty scandal as a platform to then trash the city of New Orleans.

And all throughout the Bounty process he talked as if everything was fact, and now that it's been PROVEN that it wasn't fact, he still trashes the Saints. Even Stephan A. Smith took back everything, as did most after Tagliabue ruled in favor of the players.

He might have been complimentary towards Payton before, but Cowherd bashed the shit out of Brees earlier this year, claiming he wasn't even the best player on the Saints, so...yeah...

The NFL wrote that letter, not Gregg Williams. The NFL didn't like the "apology" Williams wrote so they wrote one for him and told him to sign it.

http://danpatrick.directv.com.edgesuite.net/Podcast/DP-Hr2_04-06-2012_stream.mp3

And even if you don't think that's true, how about the fact that Gregg Williams recanted that statement not long after it was released?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...n-of-evidence-demands-reversal-of-suspension/

But of course... when it came to his reinstatement, Williams went back to saying there were bounties.

In a court of law if you're constantly changing your story, your testimony gets thrown out the window. That's how people should look at Williams actions throughout the bounty scandal. Changed stories, and a man with an agenda to get back into the league.

All he did was tell his players to keep their mouth shut until they knew what was going on. That deserves a year long punishment, really? No one thinks that was fair, except a limited few like Cowherd.

You're right... at first, when I believed the Saints did have a bounty system, I said that they deserved to be punished, but to not to that extent since yes, it's been done for years. Going back to that for a second, I love how Roger Goodell has had such high praise for Ray Lewis all week, while ignoring the fact that Ray Ray ended Rashard Mendenhall's season in a game where Terrell Suggs admitted there was a bounty on him.

Anyway, I've followed this case tooth and nail and I've come to the conclusion that there wasn't a bounty. Vilma and Vitt offered to take lie detractor tests... Williams and Cerrulo did not. Over a dozen guys testified, in a real court of law under oath where perjury is a felony offense, that the accusations against Vilma wasn't true. So if Vilma, who was the supposed ring leader of this supposed bounty progam, is innocent enough to the point where it literally cannot be proven that he was and his suspension lifted, then that tells me that a bounty program didn't exist in the first place. A pay for performance program did obviously, but that's way different than a bounty program.

I understand why you feel that way, but trust me... as I'm the biggest fan of the Saints on the board, I'm also their biggest critic. I've trashed them left and right after piss poor performances on this very board, even Drew Brees who I fucking adore with all my heart. If they were in the wrong on something, I'd have zero problem admitting it.

All along my biggest gripe has been that Sean Payton's suspension was never justified, and I've yet to hear one reasonable argument why it was. And this goes back to Colin Cowherd being one of the very few not to change his stance and actually say Payton's suspension was fair.
:disappointed:

JMT, I'm sorry, but you're building a case on a house of cards. It appears as if the crux of your argument comes from the fact that the NFL didn't like the apology Williams originally gave....which, even if true (and I didn't listen to the mp3 because I'm watching ND coverage) shows that he still apologized for what happened, and he still signed off on the NFL apology you claim was written for him. The other case you made was the defense attorney for Vilma made a claim which I've yet to see you support with any facts at all.

In the court of law you mentioned, unsubstantiated statements made by a lawyer are completely inadmissible and ordered stricken from the record. Thus, if we're using court of law mentality, until we have evidence to what Ginsberg claimed (which we don't, since Williams hasn't publicly retracted his apology), then we have to assume the apology still stands, an apology which doubles as a confession of guilt.

I'm sure you have followed this story closely, but you've also probably been following it closely from many many people who are Saint supporters. Maybe not, but I bet so.

And yes, telling people not to talk about the bounty program is considered to be covering up. Is it worth a year? Well, I suppose that comes down to the other evidence the NFL has, which also has been disclosed publicly.

And for what it's worth, I have no problem believing the NFL's suspension of Payton, given the investigation the conducted, was fair. Which goes back to what Cowherd said as being fair. And as far as attacking the city of New Orleans, you said yourself you didn't care much for it. So, I'm really not sure where you're coming from on that.

And for what it's worth, I have no problem believing the NFL's suspension of Payton, given the investigation the conducted, was fair. Which goes back to what Cowherd said as being fair.

Well that disappoints me, but there's nothing I can say to change your mind.

Anyways, let's now just sit back and watch Notre Dame kick some ass.

Even when I thought Payton did so much more than he likely did I found a year suspension to be absurd. It was obviously way out of line with precedent. It is also amusing that Goodell has such an issue with alleged cover ups yet he got the attention of congress when he boasted that destroying evidence was the right thing to do.

I'm curious... how did they taint it exactly? I keep hearing this but I don't know what it is exactly the coaches did to make it where it was impossible to prove that the Saints had a bounty program.

Green Bay never had a bounty program either; they had a pay for performance program, which is what the Saints had.

A bounty program suggest that the Saints targeted specific players with the intent of injuring them and taking them out the game. I'm saying the Saints are NOT guilty of this. What they are guilty of is rewarding their defensive players with side cash for big plays, and yes, big hits. Now, pay for performance programs are also illegal in the league, and if the NFL doesn't want that around and wanted to make a statement by punishing the Saints more harshly than they did Green Bay, then fine... make a punishment for that and make it reasonable. But they didn't and instead tarnished the entire organization, their players, and their coaches. This entire conversation is proof of that.

Ok, I didn't realize we were arguing semantics. Bounty program, pay for performance, whatever. They're scum for paying people to intentionally hurt people.

Also, I hate Cowherd too. Nothing in particular that he said, just his general doucheyness. He filled in for Greeny on Mike and Mike one day last week and it was impossible to listen to that whiny cunt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back