NBA Finals 2017

I've only watched one quarter this year and was absolutely disgusted at the officiating. It appears there's no such thing as a rule book anymore, merely whenever the referees decide they want to blow a whistle.

With that said, it appears as if Golden State is simply too much this year.

I've only watched one quarter this year and was absolutely disgusted at the officiating. It appears there's no such thing as a rule book anymore, merely whenever the referees decide they want to blow a whistle.

I am a very infrequent viewer of basketball, but when I do see some, I am always flabbergasted by the amount of unpunished travelling.

I'm telling y'all, LeBron is going to get the Cavs 2. 2 wins that are going be a direct result of LeBron's playing. Bank on it. If the other Cavs can step up beyond that, they have a shot. If not, this series is over in 6.

We can talk X's and O's and how Golden State hit this many 3's and what not, but in the end it's simple. Cleveland cannot let 3 of the 4 all stars that Golden State has score more than 20 pts each. Better defense is going to be needed for the Cavs to win. Oh and a JR Smith sighting wouldn't be bad either.

Lebrons winning next game but that's all I can give him Phenom. Durant, Curry and Thompson are just too offensively good.

Барбоса;5704919 said:
I am a very infrequent viewer of basketball, but when I do see some, I am always flabbergasted by the amount of unpunished travelling.
Oh, that's been the case forever. But I'm seeing deliberately set illegal screens, fouls on shots seem to be completely arbitrary, over the back fouls are non-existent unless someone falls down....just horrible. Like, it really frustrated me the other night to the point I didn't want to watch any more.

Oh, that's been the case forever. But I'm seeing deliberately set illegal screens, fouls on shots seem to be completely arbitrary, over the back fouls are non-existent unless someone falls down....just horrible. Like, it really frustrated me the other night to the point I didn't want to watch any more.

I'm getting a bit sick of the feel contact, throw it up wherever you are for a shooting foul. Currys from half court last night was a perfect example. By the rule book he did it to perfection, but Curry only goes for half court when the game is on the line. It just wasn't a genuine shot and a lot, like the shooting fouls off a screen, I just think shouldn't be counted as shooting attempts. You should have to be in your shooting style motion to get the foul and not just heave it up. Of course that's only one of many calls that don't seem to make sense.

Basketball isn't physical enough anymore. Eventually it will be ten guys on the court seeing who's lucky enough to see their shot drop. Without defense, basketball is garbage.

This is why I hate historical comparisons of these Warriors against however. In the 80's, 90's and early 00's, they would actually be challenged defensively. They would probably still be great, but things would be far more competitive.

Basketball isn't physical enough anymore.
Basketball is TOO physical right now. Basketball is a beautiful game when refereed correctly.
Eventually it will be ten guys on the court seeing who's lucky enough to see their shot drop. Without defense, basketball is garbage.

This is why I hate historical comparisons of these Warriors against however. In the 80's, 90's and early 00's, they would actually be challenged defensively. They would probably still be great, but things would be far more competitive.
I see this argument all the time and I think it's the silliest argument ever, as if people didn't actually watch basketball back then, especially in the 80s where even so much as breathing on someone would get you whistled for a foul. I'll grant that physicality grew through the 90s and into the 00s, but it wasn't THAT much different from today.

The frequency of foul calls in the 80's, 90's and 00's is relatively the same as today. As Sly said, the refs called fouls all the time back then, however, fouls back then were a lot more physical then they are today. Some of the common fouls that were called back then would be flagrant 1 or 2 fouls today. For example, the infamous Jordan rules. Which were every time the Bulls played the Pistons if Jordan tried to get to the basket, they fouled him and fouled him hard. That wouldn't go over so well in the NBA today. There are plenty other examples as well.

I think people get the foul calling confused with the rule changes. The rules have changed to the point where the style of play that is played today is possible. It wouldn't have been as possible in the 80's and 90's with hand checking and other rules being different. I will say this, though, the refs have absolutely no consistency at all with calling these games and that's what pisses me off. If it was a foul at one end of the court then it is a foul at the other end as well. If it was a foul in the last game then it is a foul this game as well. That's what get's me. Call the same fouls for everyone and they don't do that.

Apparently the Cavs locker room smelled like weed after game 2.

It's legal in California and the Cavs players make up maybe 25% (at most) of the people that pass through that locker room throughout the evening. I'd be shocked if a Cavs player is guilty of lighting up in their own locker room. You'd have to have legendary stupidity to not even wait until you're back in the privacy of your own hotel room to 420 blaze it.

It's legal in California and the Cavs players make up maybe 25% (at most) of the people that pass through that locker room throughout the evening. I'd be shocked if a Cavs player is guilty of lighting up in their own locker room. You'd have to have legendary stupidity to not even wait until you're back in the privacy of your own hotel room to 420 blaze it.

So it was JR Smith?

The frequency of foul calls in the 80's, 90's and 00's is relatively the same as today. As Sly said, the refs called fouls all the time back then, however, fouls back then were a lot more physical then they are today.
:lmao:

Again, pull up a video from a game back then and then try to tell me that. Here, I'll give you one.

[YOUTUBE]tsRu0x_bQeY[/YOUTUBE]

LOOK AT ALL THAT CONTACT! DENNIS JOHNSON ALMOST BREATHED ON JORDAN!

Or how about this one?

[YOUTUBE]nET-p6mtdow[/YOUTUBE]

Please. That tripe is brought up all the time and it's horseshit every time it is.

I think people get the foul calling confused with the rule changes. The rules have changed to the point where the style of play that is played today is possible. It wouldn't have been as possible in the 80's and 90's with hand checking and other rules being different.
Just false. In fact, the style today is actually closer to what you would see prior to the mid 90s (with the notable exception of the emphasis on the 3pt line, thus de-emphasizing the post). From the mid 90s to until around the time the Nash led Suns came around, the NBA devolved into more 1-on-1 isolation basketball.

The change to today's style is far more an effect of the European influence on the game than anything else. People who talk about the "tougher" game back then are just full of nonsense.

I will say this, though, the refs have absolutely no consistency at all with calling these games and that's what pisses me off. If it was a foul at one end of the court then it is a foul at the other end as well. If it was a foul in the last game then it is a foul this game as well. That's what get's me. Call the same fouls for everyone and they don't do that.
I'd love to see the screens players are allowed to set today being refereed by officials from a couple decades ago. Half the game would be dedicated to illegal screens calls.

I wasn't arguing that the game was 'tougher' back then, but it was more physical to a degree and using a Jordan video, quite possibly one of the most protected players in the history of the league by the officials, to prove that it wasn't more physical is just asinine.

So you're going to tell me that with hand checking and other rules being different a few decades ago that Curry and all these other guards from this guard dominated generation would've had just as easy a time playing back then as they do now? We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. There's a reason that now teams look to draft good guards out of college now instead of forwards and centers. Which were the positions that most teams were looking to draft for in yesteryear. That's because the rules and style of play today make it so easy for guards to dominate the game. I'm sure you're going to come back with something like "guards dominated the game back then as well". That's true, but nowhere near like they do in today's NBA. Back then, the game was dominated by PFs and Centers. Hell, is the Center even a thing anymore in the NBA?

Was the NBA tougher back then? Idk to be honest, but there was more contact and more physical defense being played then there is today.

I feel like the, "Basketball was more physical in 19xx," is just something people say because guys like Charles Barkley want to play like they are more bad ass than they actually are.

If anything basketball is more physical now than it ever has been. Guys are taller, stronger, and faster now than ever before, and refs are more willing to let things go as players have almost unlimited reign to yell at a ref when they are penalized for slamming into another player.

Great win by Warriors there. Scored the last 10 points of he game. Definitely shocked Cavs didn't hold on. That's what happens with bad offense though, you go through ups and downs.

I just don't know what to think about tonight's game. LeBron, even with some spectacular help from Irving and a JR Smith sighting, still couldn't beat the Warriors. I guess I didn't realize how much the power shifted when Durant joined the Warriors. I know some of you are going to think that I'm crazy, but the Cavs are going to need another all-star to compete with this Warriors team. They just don't have enough.

Warriors may dominate the NBA for the next 5+ years.

The image of KD hitting the 3 for the lead over LeBron is going to be the iconic shot spread around the world for years to come once Golden State take this in 4.

What really pains me is that I was the guy that made a thread a few weeks ago arguing that LeBron was indeed in the conversation with Jordan as the GOAT and could possibly pass him when it was all said and done. I guess a solid second greatest of all time isn't that bad. I'm going to tell you though, if LeBron were to some how come back and win this series, even though he'd still be behind Jordan in titles, I would be prepared to argue a changing of the guard because this Warriors team is something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back