John Cena quietly retired?

Has John Cena quietly retired?

• Naw, Cena isn't going anywhere for a while

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Doubt it, he'll probably have one more match and then have a speech

• Could be, but I think he'll have atleast one more title run before he's truly done

• Total voters

That N Word

Actively evolving
WWE legend John Cena has been sending hella mixed signals since he passed the torch to Roman Reigns at No Mercy 2017. One day he's teasing retirement, the next day he's claiming he'll never leave WWE. Following his match with Roman, Cena went on to wrestle about 6 or 7 more matches between late 2017 through October 2018. In 2019, Cena agreed to do two shows but that wasn't originally on the cards, he agreed because Vince was desperate and Cena was honoring his promise of not leaving WWE high and dry. However, after originally being slated for a WrestleMania match, Cena ended up not competing. Cena competed in two multi-people tag matches in 2019, but hasn't had televised singles match since April 2018 and hasn't had a match at all since January 2019. Cena has been all over the blogs stating that he's "never leaving WWE but see's [himself] working in a different, non-wrestling capacity role in the company." I just seen an interview this morning where he stated “As a 42-year-old, going to be 43 in April … I already know that I’m a little lighter, I’m a little slower, I’m not as strong, so all of the physical signs are like, ‘I’m here, I’m here, I’m here,’” he says. “I can’t lie to myself and say those things aren’t happening. They are. And either I accommodate my performance, or just say, ‘Hey, it’s time to do something different." That latter statement is what has me confused because he is doing something completely different. After 21 years in the wrestling business, has the great John Cena basically quietly retired from active competitIon?

In short, no. He spent over a decade at the top. Not only that, but he did it during a time where wrestling and it's relationship with the outside world changed drastically. He was busy damn near 24/7 working for WWE. Besides Raw, Smackdown and house shows, he was also doing heavy media appearances. WWE expanded their brand so much during this time. And then you factor in the introduction of social media and even during his "free time" he was working. He did all of this with very little time off. He did get injured occasionally, some of them very serious. But the business takes a toll on the body. Ask any wrestler right now and see how many of them aren't working at least hurt.

Cena has likely used this time to recover, finally. I'm sure he'll always hurt due to his time wrestling, but I doubt he's never coming back. A run? Doubtful. Maybe a very short one. But you also have to consider two very large factors working towards his return, even if brief: 1) He does truly love the business, 2) Money. As WWE has proven, they're willing to shell out the dough to get people to come back.

Some way too long. Looking at you, Untertaker.

And frankly, while it's certainly the end of an era, I'm surprised so many people on here care. They're the ones who were always bitching about him. You know what they say about distance and the heart. I never had a problem with Cena, but even I'm of the mindset that early to mid 40's is about where I'd like to see any wrestler retire from at least regular competition.

As a full-time performer, yes.

I reckon he'll stick around for a while as a "star/special attraction" just like Undertaker & HHH, however, I think Cena is smart enough to know when it's time to ride off into the sunset for good.

I wouldn't rule out one last title run either.

No he certainly has not "quietly" retired. the guy is 42, not only that, he's been around for a while now and I think he needs to stay gone for a bit, rest his body, let it repair itself from the years of damage he no doubt has and then make a big time return sometime in 2020, it does not have to be at WrestleMania, but I think WWE could do with letting stay gone for a bit, would do his character alot of good, in terms of full time performance, yes he is obviously done and I can understand that but WWE are being smart with him by not "overexposing " him which I like.

I think he needs to be off tv to the point where his appearance actually has meaning and reason, facing someone who is actually a big time star i.e Brock Lesnar, Chris Jericho or Randy Orton, there's no way at this stage wwe can bring him back and have him face a jobber or mid carder, it just won't work. I don't think he would be interested or invested in some joke feud that won't draw, yes it's his passion but its also about money and you are risking alot wrestling for wwe.

I don't think he has done an impression of The Rock in terms of "quietly retiring" as The Rock correctly stated for himself many years ago now. If WWE can keep him off of tv until next year, i think it would be good all round. Another issue I have is wwe simply have no one for him to face, I'm afraid Roman Reigns has failed to cut the cloth IMO, he just doesn't have the ability to be a star like they had in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back