• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jeff Hardy vs Bobby Lashley For The TNA World Title At NYC

ABMorales787

Lord And Master
Staff member
Administrator
cdf9e95677635b4a94339f6494346cc2_XL.jpg

http://www.impactwrestling.com/news...estling/news+(Impact+Wrestling+|+Latest+News)

Publicly announced by TNA in their website, New York City will see Jeff Hardy shed the Willow gimmick to challenge new World Champion Bobby Lashley.

This is a clear public move to make a last sales pitch for NYC. If anything, it's interesting to note that is the second TNA posted article that announces Jeff Hardy as opposed to Willow. It seems the character may die out by July. Which makes me sad because I love the "Willow's Way" theme song. This also continues the looooooooooooooong string of World title matches on Impact Wrestling broadcasts. At one point total rarities, last year they became monthly by obligation. Now they're on every broadcast! Fuck, last week we had two!

Thoughts on the match-up? Hardy dropping the Willow gimmick? The string of title matches? Willow's kick ass theme?

MOD NOTE:

NO SPOILERS ARE TO BE DISCUSSED. KEEP YOUR DISCUSSION CENTERED AROUND THE MATCH, JEFF HARDY'S GIMMICK CHANGE, ETC. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING THAT HAS YET TO AIR ON TV OR YOU WILL BE SUBJECTED TO AN INFRACTION.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Well, it's a move. They're also advertising the Hardy brothers for NYC. They seem to be selling that as a one night thing and I guess I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the entire series of NYC events where Jeff works as Jeff is an isolated incident. But if that's the case, well, it'd be awfully strange. I mean, clearly TNA is acting in the interests of what they think will sell in NYC, and that's Jeff Hardy and the Hardy Brothers. But, doesn't that imply that that's just what would sell...everywhere? So if TNA does Jeff in NYC and goes back to Willow, then I just don't know what it says about how they're handling him.

Now, if they make a permanent switch back to Jeff, that's a different matter, but it doesn't relieve them entirely of any questions, because they'd be abandoning Willow and Abyss which looks like a relatively promising tag team as challengers for the Wolves. So, either way this spins, it's a bit of an odd move.

It'd be even weirder if Jeff Hardy wins the world title. Conventional wisdom I think would say that Jeff is easy fodder for Lashley to get over on, but TNA has never been much for conventional wisdom.

Well aside from spoiling the fact that Lashley will have the title up to the New York tapings aka Eric Young isn't getting it back I assume. I think it's a smart move. Like it or not Jeff Hardy is probably TNA's most recognisable face so advertising him is a good thing from a marketing standpoint.

As to whether he's dropping Willow I don't know. I really dug the Willow promos and I was hoping it would be arty/weird Jeff Hardy to the extreme but they cocked it up by saying it was just Jeff in a mask. I was hoping they'd try and sell Willow as his own entity. Sure they could've brought up the similarities to Jeff but don't outright say it's just him. Since they've done that they might as well just have Jeff with his facepaint with the umbrella acting like Willow.

There's a possibility he can work as both Willow and Jeff Hardy. Apparently at the Omega shows he does he does that so there's a possibility that he might do it in TNA.

As to the actual match it's interesting Jeff has a habit of beating bigger guys (Umaga, Abyss, Matt Morgan etc) so it's not out of the realm of possibility for him to win. It'll be an interesting match up to be fair.

As to the Willow's Way theme it's probably my second favourite Jeff Hardy TNA theme (nothing can beat Another Me)

cdf9e95677635b4a94339f6494346cc2_XL.jpg

http://www.impactwrestling.com/news...estling/news+(Impact+Wrestling+|+Latest+News)

Publicly announced by TNA in their website, New York City will see Jeff Hardy shed the Willow gimmick to challenge new World Champion Bobby Lashley.

This is a clear public move to make a last sales pitch for NYC. If anything, it's interesting to note that is the second TNA posted article that announces Jeff Hardy as opposed to Willow. It seems the character may die out by July. Which makes me sad because I love the "Willow's Way" theme song. This also continues the looooooooooooooong string of World title matches on Impact Wrestling broadcasts. At one point total rarities, last year they became monthly by obligation. Now they're on every broadcast! Fuck, last week we had two!

Thoughts on the match-up? Hardy dropping the Willow gimmick? The string of title matches? Willow's kick ass theme?

TNA has botched so many gimmick changes. I'm no TNA hater, I watch the show weekly. I also don't have to find things to moan about day to day about wrestling. However, I'll call something obvious like I see it.

First it was AJ Styles, and the long-built "lone wolf" gimmick, which was going so well. A true tweener, on his own, not good nor bad. All ruined, and back came the old AJ Styles.. not in some huge turn, decision, or reveal.. but just during an intro. The establishment of the re-gimmick was superb. The leaving of the gimmick was horrendous.

Now we have Willow, who now will seemingly have horrible estabishing and endings of his gimmick.

What causes such a sadistic, warped character such as Willow? Maybe a major head trauma to Jeff Hardy? No, instead, Jeff Hardy leaves, and almost the next week here is Willow. What is more ridiculous is the announcers actually saying "The alter ego of Jeff Hardy"...

and now, out will come Jeff Hardy. No major swerve, turn, or what not happening to Willow. Just, end.

I expect Willow to continue to return when needed like Cactus Jack & Foley. Its meant to be his violent alter ego and first spawned because of what EC3 and Spud did. They had some great segments and then Willow moved on to Magnus & Bram. I could see Willow at a Hardcore Justice, Lockdown or even Monsters Ball at BFG. Now the string of title matches started with EY being a fighting champ and I think thats fine. He said he wanted to defend it as often as possible and I expect it to slow down soon. With Destination X coming up I dont mind the world champ having to defend it one more time, especially in the main event of the first ever NYC taping which I will be attending =)!

Lashley is a real champion

I am glad TNA took the belt off EY, and put it on someone who LOOKS like he should be on top.

Book him properly as unbeatable, and get rid of that stupid willow character and you have something

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back