Have We Been Fooled?

ajdb

Pre-Show Stalwart
I know we have the WWE Network thread about its possibilities but I read an article today about the opposite side.

Understand, I am just passing on what I read. This isn't necessarily what I think.

I'm not posting a link yet because I don't want it to look like I'm promoting their site.

Some of the main points of the article were:
- You cannot watch the WWE Network on your television
- Referring to this as WWE's own YouTube for $10 a month
- Claiming Vince McMahon has been "castrated"
- "Wussiest version possible" of the network
- All WWE programming should be on the network to make it attractive to cable providers
- WWE is now a "play it safe" company (examples being Cena & Orton)
- Claims that WWE cannot work
- WWE Network is only for hardcore wrestling fans
- This is a strategy to gets more investors not make more money.
- This announcement is "shiny poop" compared to the original concept
- WWE Network is a Hail Mary pass

The biggest statement of all was the last one in the article:

"Do not be fooled. By Feb. 24, 2015, the WWE Network will take its rightful place next to the WBF, the XFL and The Marine 3 as spectacular failures."

Personally, I'm really excited about the WWE Network but when I read this, I was floored. I don't think I've ever seen someone take the WWE apart like this. Also included was a short run-down of Vince McMahon himself, basically saying he's just a figure-head now.

I really don't know how much of this to believe but to be honest it all makes sense to me. I thought you all might have some thoughts. Sorry this reads like a ramble but I was just really stunned while reading this. It needed to be put out for discussion.

I know we have the WWE Network thread about its possibilities but I read an article today about the opposite side.

Understand, I am just passing on what I read. This isn't necessarily what I think.

I'm not posting a link yet because I don't want it to look like I'm promoting their site.

- All WWE programming should be on the network to make it attractive to cable providers

"Do not be fooled. By Feb. 24, 2015, the WWE Network will take its rightful place next to the WBF, the XFL and The Marine 3 as spectacular failures."

Personally, I'm really excited about the WWE Network but when I read this, I was floored. I don't think I've ever seen someone take the WWE apart like this. Also included was a short run-down of Vince McMahon himself, basically saying he's just a figure-head now.

I really don't know how much of this to believe but to be honest it all makes sense to me. I thought you all might have some thoughts. Sorry this reads like a ramble but I was just really stunned while reading this. It needed to be put out for discussion.
Considering the very first point he made was blatantly false, I wouldn't put too much stock in the article you read. It's clear the person who wrote it doesn't know what they are talking about.

For a more accurate understanding, check this out: http://www.wwe.com/WWENetwork

Given the history of WWE's ventures outside the actual wrestling shows, I don't have high hopes for the network being a long term success either, but some of the points made are ridiculous.

If anything, it not being a true television network is more forward thinking than a lot of new media ventures. More and more people are forsaking cable and cable packages and going to a Hulu/Netflix combination to avoid paying for a bunch of channels they do not watch. A service like this caters to those kinds of folks.

It's going to have a lot more content than the WWE's YouTube channel.

Bringing one's distaste in the current wrestling product into a conversaton about the network is an point that is useless, because it's not really directly related.

And the rest is easily discredited as gibberish.

You can watch WWE Network on your television, using a PS3/4, XBOX, ROKU, etc.
This is a fully functional streaming service, akin to Netflix, this isn't user submitted media, like YouTube.
Putting all WWE content on the WWE Network would be possibly the dumbest financial move to date, right up there with turning Mr. $100 Million Value heel. The television deal they are hammering out right now is going to rival the NFL.
This is a moderate risk for huge reward, what kind of business education could this author have if he thinks that in order for it to be good, it has to be high risk?
The WWE Network is perfect for hardcores AND casuals. In fact, people pay more than $9.99 a month for video game subscriptions, Netflix, etc. This will bring many more people to the plate.
The rest is almost unintelligible.

The author of the piece you read is probably someone who grew up in the 90s, has no business sense, and thinks the AE is the greatest period of wrestling. Which is all fine, until you decide to write a slash piece against what is probably the biggest move towards catering to fans that the E has ever made.

Considering the original concept was an actual network, ala station on television he is 100% completely wrong on that point. MLB, NFL, etc all have networks, but considering the majority of their revenue comes from everywhere else the original idea was crap. Netflix has blown up in the last 1-2 years. And WWE is perfectly suited for a more netflix-like program. I won't bother with the other points because simply none of them hold any way. The only fooling going around is these shit writers who continue to troll on purpose to get views and comments.

Along with being able to view the channel on a gaming system, it also reads that you can watch it on Smart TVs by the summer.

Considering the very first point he made was blatantly false, I wouldn't put too much stock in the article you read. It's clear the person who wrote it doesn't know what they are talking about.

For a more accurate understanding, check this out: http://www.wwe.com/WWENetwork

I'm thinking that the guy meant it as that WWE Network isn't a TV Network that you get through your cable or satellite provider.. It's more of a internet only network, but if you have said devices, you can watch it through your TV.

What media honcho wrote this stunning piece? Honky Tonk Man?

Hard to speak to the article beyond the bullet points provided but for the author to pin point a failing date of one year beyond it's start shows little thought went in to the piece. To make so many points less than 24 hours after the announcement confirms little thought went in to this piece. This feels more like a blog or a collection of mad Twitter ramblings.

Everything I've read seems to make it sound like this network is for adults but I see it as a great way for kids with early bed times a chance to watch a PPV before Raw the next day.

Meh. Opinions are like assholes.

Would you be able to provide a link to this so-called article? Having a hard time believing that a legit/respectable outlet provided that kind of commentary on the WWE network. Plus, most are lauding the WWE for taking the network digital and becoming trendsetters.

I did a Google search with the quoted statement in the OP's post "Do not be fooled. By Feb. 24, 2015, the WWE Network will take its rightful place next to the WBF, the XFL and The Marine 3 as spectacular failures." The only thing I came up with was a link back to this very thread.

Was this your opinion veiled in the form of a supposed article? The irony of your headline.

This isn't even an article.
It's a fucking blog by some random guy.
It's probably the op's blog and he's probably trying to get views which if that's the case you reeled me in I guess.

The guy is trying to compare the WWE Network to YouTube has full matches. And trying to compare it to WWE Classics On Demand that you could get through cable companies.

The huge difference is the amount of content you get. Which he covered. No person is going to have 14,000 hours or whatever the number was to sit around and watch wrestling.

The point of it isn't to sit there and watch every single minute of everything they offer.

The point of it is to have everything you want to watch readily available.
If I want to watch King of the Ring '94 it's there for me to watch. I don't have to search all over the internet for illegal sites to watch it.

Then he states that "most" casual fans only order Wrestlemania which costs them $60 which is the same price as the 6 month commitment you have to make for the network. He somehow sees that as a negative and claims the WWE is trying to rope people in for a year. I guess that could be the WWE's plan. Get you to order 6 months worth of the Network and watch what they have to see and like it enough that you sign up for another 6 months because you enjoyed it. How awful of them to want people to like their product and to want to continue to use it.

Then he compares it to the NFL Network and the money the NFL makes off their network and says that the WWE is passing up the chance to make the same amount of money because as we all know the WWE is as popular as the NFL and does the same numbers as the NFL.

He mentions that the WWE should have made the Network a paid cable network like HBO.

Anyone who has been following the network stuff knows that WWE tried to go that route and couldn't get enough interest.

The point is there's a lot of stupid stuff in this blog written by someone who has a lot of nerd rage and not very well thought out ideas.

The funniest part is when he says something along the lines of anyone who has sat in on a boardroom meeting knows how that goes. Thus implying he actually sit in on boardroom meetings. I'm guessing he in fact does not do that.

I would take exactly zero stock in this.

Would you be able to provide a link to this so-called article? Having a hard time believing that a legit/respectable outlet provided that kind of commentary on the WWE network. Plus, most are lauding the WWE for taking the network digital and becoming trendsetters.

I did a Google search with the quoted statement in the OP's post "Do not be fooled. By Feb. 24, 2015, the WWE Network will take its rightful place next to the WBF, the XFL and The Marine 3 as spectacular failures." The only thing I came up with was a link back to this very thread.

Was this your opinion veiled in the form of a supposed article? The irony of your headline.

Not trying to be a douche, but you improperly searched. If you take out the quotes you'd probably be successful, unless of course you thought this guy posting knew what is a legit source to try and quote. Here is the actual link to the article, sorry buddy but I'm not gonna buy into that horse dune:

http://stholeary.blogspot.com/2014/01/why-wwe-network-is-much-ado-about.html

I don't really thing this guy would even have any idea of what he's writing about so we can just nix all this arguement. The only valid point is the failures of other huge ventures such as the XFL and the WBF. Then again WWE has had much success in many other ventures so... yeah.

Not trying to be a douche, but you improperly searched. If you take out the quotes you'd probably be successful, unless of course you thought this guy posting knew what is a legit source to try and quote. Here is the actual link to the article, sorry buddy but I'm not gonna buy into that horse dune:

http://stholeary.blogspot.com/2014/01/why-wwe-network-is-much-ado-about.html

I don't really thing this guy would even have any idea of what he's writing about so we can just nix all this arguement. The only valid point is the failures of other huge ventures such as the XFL and the WBF. Then again WWE has had much success in many other ventures so... yeah.

I respectfully acknowledge that you found this link. However, it seems OP cannot distinguish between a blog post on some nerd's Blogger account and an "article."

The ability to watch all the pay per views including WrestleMania to me was the icing on the cake! I don't pay for anything and I am strongly considering this deal - LOL! I bet 99% of WWE/WCW matches, themes, promos, etc get pulled from youtube once the network launches.

I personally look forward to watching all the old WCW pay per views.

This dude is a moron. His argument was that you have to have an additional device connected to your TV in order to watch it. Therefore, it's not available on your TV. Uh, you have to have a cable box to watch cable on your TV, does that mean cable isn't available on your TV?

He's talking out of his ass.

is is very simple... Vince has LEARNED people... He went all out balls to the wall with the WBF, XFL, the WCW buyout and WWE Films... none have worked as expected, hoped or planned. Playing it safe is not a bad play this time...

This shows WWE, Vince whatever have looked at what is working in the world and tried to innovate around it rather than blatantly copy, while maintaining their integrity.

The "Youtube" for $10 argument is valid, but Youtube was a test, a means to an end, never a valid solution. Netflix is the way forward, rightly or wrongly. The Marvel deal proved that (especially when Dwayne signs up to be Luke Cage...inevitable) and that probably more than anything has swayed the final set-up of the Network.

WWE is aiming for a monster TV deal for RAW and Smackdown... It IS possible for them to reach a billion for it, it IS possible that NBC or the like may decide now to go for Main Event again on a saturday... but this is how they secure that, by doing what (if it works) the music industry failed to do, movies failed to do - converting a fanbase used to either getting it for free, leeching, or "buddying" to buy into subscribers.

Wrestling fans will sign up for the old school content alone. If they put even half the library up then the geeks amongst us will be watching MidSouth or AWA or WCW every second we can (watch a million "sudden" experts appear here on the forums), we'll lap up that all the PPV's are there at our disposal, probably with bonus content or commentary... or the ability to say "Nah, I hated Shawn v Tatanka at 9... gonna skip that..." and it be logical and easy to do. The GF wants to do a season of Orange Is the Only Black? Nah.. We're doing all the Summerslams in order this weekend hun... ok not many will get to say that but I will :)

The idea is very sound, unusually sound for WWE and Vince... This is probably why there have been so many false starts... this wasn't the plan, but it's the solution... the execution must be spot on though... if they fail at that, they lose it... likewise they will have to give a make up to Europe and the UK as due to the Sky deal we're basically subsidizing the launch... I'm guessing Summerslam or Survivor Series in the UK around launch time...

But... here's the thing... the general media world is interested, if not excited.... They haven't been this interested since Jan-Feb 1985... Spotting a pattern here folks...

Unlike the WBF and XFL its obvious Vince and company has really thought this venture out. Just today I talked to some friends who are casual fans at best, although they didn't say they were gonna get it they did say they are mighty tempted to get it. There is quite alot of fans out there that just don't like current wrestling but they still like wrestling. Chances are there will be some growing pains at the beginning but overall I see this doing very well. Even if hardcore fans only will buy it they will still get over a million subscribers, theres alot of us out there. My dad and uncle don't watch wrestling anymore but once some NWA and AWA content gets on there I guarantee they will buy it, because they still love wrestling, just not the current product.

The only appealing thing about the "Network", is that you pretty much get all the wrestling of the last 20+ years for 10 bucks a month. All PPVs, all shows from WCW and WWE/F. That's a deal.

Problem is, I don't think many people will stick with this long term. Sure, we'll watch and rewatch footage but ... then what? Who watches wrestling THAT much? Nobody.

And do they have programming on there that will maintain people's 10 dollars a month? Not right now. They'll hook you in for a few months or a year if you're an idiot but that's really it.

And it is indeed a glorified YouTube channel that you have to pay for.

- You can watch videos just like on YouTube
- You can play and replay them from the start just like on YouTube
- They can upload other custom content and maybe stream live stuff just like on YouTube
- You can't leave comments on videos because they love their fans' opinions just like on YouTube
- It is NOT a TV CHANNEL just like YouTube

Ya'll realize that the only difference between THIS and their YouTube channel is the platform, right?

Come to think of it, this is pretty damn weird. It's basically TNA On Demand but on all devices. In fact, how the fuck is this different than ANY OTHER subscription service they've had before?

So you pay money to get exclusive online content, and lots of it. Nothing groundbreaking, they had this before. Aside from that, the only difference is that now you can watch it on any device and the biggest difference is all the PR Hoopla around it.

So yeah, you HAVE been fooled. These corporate motherfuckers are raising a fuss FOR AN ONLINE SUBSCRIPTION! They introduce a new logo, they call it a "Network" to mask the fact that it's AN ONLINE SUBSCRIPTION and add all this other noise to keep you from realizing they've had this for YEARS, only they expanded the content a little bit.

Soooo revolutionary. My God, they just stuck their marketing dick up everyone's ass. Shows you what some good PR and an a "groundbreaking annaouncement" will do huh?

The only appealing thing about the "Network", is that you pretty much get all the wrestling of the last 20+ years for 10 bucks a month. All PPVs, all shows from WCW and WWE/F. That's a deal.

Problem is, I don't think many people will stick with this long term. Sure, we'll watch and rewatch footage but ... then what? Who watches wrestling THAT much? Nobody.

And do they have programming on there that will maintain people's 10 dollars a month? Not right now. They'll hook you in for a few months or a year if you're an idiot but that's really it.

And it is indeed a glorified YouTube channel that you have to pay for.

- You can watch videos just like on YouTube
- You can play and replay them from the start just like on YouTube
- They can upload other custom content and maybe stream live stuff just like on YouTube
- You can't leave comments on videos because they love their fans' opinions just like on YouTube
- It is NOT a TV CHANNEL just like YouTube

Ya'll realize that the only difference between THIS and their YouTube channel is the platform, right?

Come to think of it, this is pretty damn weird. It's basically TNA On Demand but on all devices. In fact, how the fuck is this different than ANY OTHER subscription service they've had before?

So you pay money to get exclusive online content, and lots of it. Nothing groundbreaking, they had this before. Aside from that, the only difference is that now you can watch it on any device and the biggest difference is all the PR Hoopla around it.

So yeah, you HAVE been fooled. These corporate motherfuckers are raising a fuss FOR AN ONLINE SUBSCRIPTION! They introduce a new logo, they call it a "Network" to mask the fact that it's AN ONLINE SUBSCRIPTION and add all this other noise to keep you from realizing they've had this for YEARS, only they expanded the content a little bit.

Soooo revolutionary. My God, they just stuck their marketing dick up everyone's ass. Shows you what some good PR and an a "groundbreaking annaouncement" will do huh?

As someone who had Classics On Demand I can tell you this is going to be a huge difference from that.

On Classics on demand you had a limited amount of things to watch and they changed them on a regular basis then they were gone and all you had was whatever they decided to air the next time.

With this you have a massive library of content that is readily available. It's always available. You don't have to watch it by a certain day.

Plus with they're running scheduled programing 24 hours a day. So if you don't want to go watch something from the library you have whatever shows they air as an alternative.

They aren't advertising it as a t.v. channel. They're advertising it as a subscription service like Netflix and Hulu along with adding continuous scheduled programing.

There's no masking involved. Especially considering you have to go online to get it. They're being pretty open about it being an online deal.

If they were trying to pass it off as a channel they would be going through cable companies.

I took the article with a grain of salt but it just got me thinking a little.

Obviously it got people thinking too.

Again, personally I do think this will last. While I was disappointed that this isn't an actual channel we can click to on our TVs, I really think this the best possible #2 choice. It's an amazing deal that the WWE is really breaking ground with. Maybe pro sports leagues will follow?

I'd rather it be a online network so I can pick what I want to watch, rather then WWE force feed the content they want me to see. So remember that when your still bitching over it being a online network and not a tv network. Even the "great" NFL and NBA networks have some horrible lousy programming or might I say they like to air the same reruns over and over during a given day.

And WWE Network will be on your TV in HD. You do know what a Roku and a PS3 and PS4 is? They are played on YOUR TV. Like ah hey.. Youtube... Netflix.. Both of which I watch on my TV via PS4 and PS3.

As someone who had Classics On Demand I can tell you this is going to be a huge difference from that.

On Classics on demand you had a limited amount of things to watch and they changed them on a regular basis then they were gone and all you had was whatever they decided to air the next time.

With this you have a massive library of content that is readily available. It's always available. You don't have to watch it by a certain day.

Plus with they're running scheduled programing 24 hours a day. So if you don't want to go watch something from the library you have whatever shows they air as an alternative.

They aren't advertising it as a t.v. channel. They're advertising it as a subscription service like Netflix and Hulu along with adding continuous scheduled programing.

There's no masking involved. Especially considering you have to go online to get it. They're being pretty open about it being an online deal.

If they were trying to pass it off as a channel they would be going through cable companies.

I'm not arguing that it's no different. It is, the content is expanded ten fold. However, its nature is the same. Online subscription.

And yeah, there is masking. I'm sorry, but these guys were hyping a television network since 2011 and yesterday announced an online subscription. The very reason why they still call it a network (when it no longer isn't) is because for the last three years they were calling it just that, because they thought they'd launch a NETWORK. Not calling it "The WWE Network" would just expose what it is - an updated version of the 24/7 service.

Bells, whistles and nothing less. Still a sweet deal, though. Not arguing that. I'd get it if I could. But it's also not as big of a deal as WWE makes it seem and personally I dislike it when something is WAY overhyped and a bunch of morons hop on board because they got reeled in by basic marketing.

The grandiose nature of it all is what bothers me. There's marketing, there's good PR, and then there's overkill. They're reinventing the wheel and launching a marketing campaign around it when it's no different than anything else on the market.

Who was the author of this article? Mark Madden? Sounds like his handiwork.

Hey can you send me that link so I can personally kick his ass from here to California? He sounds like some scorned ex girlfriend who is mad that WWE is actually succeeding with what they planned. If he doesn't like it then he can take all of his dumb comments and shove them up his ass.

Honestly, he just wants hits and nothing more but I refuse to give him that.

WWE Network is a steal for anyone who buys 2 or more WWE PPVs a year. I usually buy Wrestlemania and Summer Slam so for me, it's not much of a debate whether or not it's worth it. I normally DVR Raw and Smackdown or catch it online after someone uploads it to Youtube. But here's a short list of reasons why I think this project has legs:

1) It's cheaper for people who normally buy multiple WWE PPVs/year

2) There's pre-shows and post-shows for their weekly shows (Much like pregame and postgame shows on NFL network)

3) There's new reality shows in the works

4) Given that it's all streaming-based, you can watch all of these in their truest quality whenever they're made available.

Simple math:

Getting WWE Network -
$9.99 (round to $10.00) x 12 months in a yr = $120.00 Annual Total

Not getting WWE Network and buying at least 2 PPVs -
An average WWE PPV in HD costs near $59.99 (round to $60.00) x someone who watches only 2 PPVs a yr = $120.00 Annual Total

If you're just a casual 2 PPV/year guy like me, GET WWE NETWORK. At least until they eventually hike it up to $15/month a year or 2 down the road.

These are things that you're not currently getting, all packaged together for a much cheaper price. So it's far better than deciding not to get WWE Network and buying 2 PPVs in one year.

It's been stated a few times...getting the first 6 months is worth it 100% to get WMXXX + all of the other content for 6 months.

However, I can see some issue with what happens after 8/24/2014...SummerSlam is 8/17/2014...which means that for $60 initial cost, I'll get WMXXX, all of the library content for 6 months, some mid-card PPVs, and then SummerSlam.

On the other hand, within the next 6 months AFTER the first 6 month cost, is Survivor Series and then Royal Rumble, and a few more mid-card PPVs.

To me, it's worth $120 a year to catch the big 4 PPVs. Then I'll just watch the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back