WWE Network Being Revamped

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
I read a report on wrestlinginc.com a while ago stating that the WWE is currently working on revamping the planned WWE network.

Reportedly, there's been little to no interest among cable or satellite providers in the proposed network as there's just too little confidence in the overall feesibility of success. As of right now, there aren't any details on what's being changed or if it's just a complete overhaul of the planned format.

The WWE is said to be committed to going forward with this, but there's no word on when it'll happen.

Personally, I think this is something that Vince needs to stear clear of. I just don't see the WWE being able to genuinely flesh out an entire network of shows. I think that wrestling, much like most other sports or sports related forms of entertainment, is just a little too specialized. Here in the states, you're not going to see venues like MMA, soccer, hockey, boxing or whatever generate enough interest among cable & satellite providers to carry a channel devoted to their programming. Even though WWE has said that it intends to make more than just wrestling shows, they just don't inspire confidence. After all, most of the films made by WWE have been pretty damn bad so they don't exactly have a strong track record with non-wrestling related programming.

Some of the shows that I heard about a while back included a wrestling show featuring mostly cruiserweight wrestlers and sort of a Sportscenter type of show featuring current stars and legends discussing what's happening in WWE, highlighting feuds, title pictures, etc. They sound interesting to me as a wrestling fan and I just think WWE would be better off just strongly developing those shows and try shopping them around. Their programming is usually the highest rated among all the various NBC Universal cable networks, they have a lot of allies among the top NBC honchos, so why not shop those shows around for them? Same thing with maybe developing a new NXT show now that it's been rebranded.

I just don't see a bright future for a WWE Network and it could ultimately be a massive blow to the company. I think it's just too ambtious.

I'd cut my losses now and stop with this concept. This has been delayed time after time and at the end of the day, especially with Youtube, most people aren't going to buy a network. One thing I don't get: how in the world could they not have enough content? Given the amount of video libraries they've accumulated, even if you ran stuff 24/7, at two hours per Raw you would be able to go approximately 83 days straight without ever having to air anything else. Throw in WCW shows, Smackdown, PPVs, old stuff and whatever else you want and potentially reairing stuff from earlier in the day and how could they possibly not have enough material? Royalties maybe?

Anyway, this isn't something I see happening anytime soon and it has the potential to become another XFL: something that costs them a lot of money and never goes anywhere of note.

It's a novel concept, isn't it? How cool would it be to watch an old episode of Raw and then watch the corresponding episode of Nitro on one channel? How cool would it be to sit down and watch a no hold's barred documentary about, I don't know, Ric Flair's spunk? How cool would it be to watch the three best ECW pay-per-views? It would be cool.

Unfortunately, I doubt enough people give a fuck to support an entire network; certainly not enough of a fuck to pay extra. Alright, throw in a new season of Tough Enough and a couple of new shows like Legends House or The Big Show Sure Is A Fat Lad. It's still not enough, is it?

I'd cut my losses now and stop with this concept. This has been delayed time after time and at the end of the day, especially with Youtube, most people aren't going to buy a network. One thing I don't get: how in the world could they not have enough content? Given the amount of video libraries they've accumulated, even if you ran stuff 24/7, at two hours per Raw you would be able to go approximately 83 days straight without ever having to air anything else. Throw in WCW shows, Smackdown, PPVs, old stuff and whatever else you want and potentially reairing stuff from earlier in the day and how could they possibly not have enough material? Royalties maybe?

Anyway, this isn't something I see happening anytime soon and it has the potential to become another XFL: something that costs them a lot of money and never goes anywhere of note.
I don't think you're looking at this from the proper perspective.

The WWE network is not about showing wrestling. The WWE network is about broadening the business, diversifying the business, to both make more money and minimize risk to the company. Right now, if the WWE wrestling side was to tank, the company tanks. But just like with WWE films, and just like he tried to do with XFL, the WWE Network is about expanding their entertainment basis, and grabbing an even larger share of the market.

At this point, Vince McMahon sells professional wrestling, because he knows professional wrestling. But the fact of the matter is, I don't think he cares what he sells, as long as he's selling. So over the long term, if the WWE channel works out, you'll see pro wrestling dominating less and less of the channel, and you'll see the channel be fleshed out, much in the same way Spike TV has fleshed out their programming.

Obviously, wrestling would be a big part of the network, especially since it would be a failsafe from Raw and Smackdown getting canceled. But over time, I think McMahon's vision is to make this an entertainment channel, not a wrestling channel.

And, in this, it is totally worth taking the chance on.

I don't think you're looking at this from the proper perspective.

The WWE network is not about showing wrestling. The WWE network is about broadening the business, diversifying the business, to both make more money and minimize risk to the company. Right now, if the WWE wrestling side was to tank, the company tanks. But just like with WWE films, and just like he tried to do with XFL, the WWE Network is about expanding their entertainment basis, and grabbing an even larger share of the market.

At this point, Vince McMahon sells professional wrestling, because he knows professional wrestling. But the fact of the matter is, I don't think he cares what he sells, as long as he's selling. So over the long term, if the WWE channel works out, you'll see pro wrestling dominating less and less of the channel, and you'll see the channel be fleshed out, much in the same way Spike TV has fleshed out their programming.

Obviously, wrestling would be a bit part of the network, especially since it would be a failsafe from Raw and Smackdown getting canceled. But over time, I think McMahon's vision is to make this an entertainment channel, not a wrestling channel.

And, in this, it is totally worth taking the chance on.

Given Vince's track record with stuff other than wrestling, I wouldn't think this is advisable. WWE Films does ok at best and the XFL and WBF were total busts. Vince may want to expand beyond wrestling for whatever reason, but it hasn't worked well for him in the past almost at all. I'd stick to wrestling if I were him. I mean, it's only made him a multimillionaire.

The big problem is pro wrestling as a whole just isn't "in" anymore. I just don't see them drumming up enough viewers to support a whole pay network devoted to it. Sure the NFL, NHL, and MLB all have their own networks but the thing is these networks are part of cable packages not standalone deals you gotta buy separately.

Plus with RAW, Smackdown, A.M. RAW, Saturday Morning Slam, and the upcoming Wednesday night show for WWE along with ROH, TNA, and local indy feds doing TV shows it will theoretically be possible to watch wrestling almost every day of the week on free TV. Who needs to pay for a network? Why would you buy the cow when you're already getting the milk for nothing?

I was really excited about the idea when I first heard about it & I would still like to see it happen.

As a huge wrestling fan my whole life, a 24 hour WWE channel is basically a dream come true.

But it seems like they have some MAJOR hills to climb & kinks to work out before they even re-present it to cabel companies & providers, not to mention the fans & the general public. They would have to join all their current programmming + create SEVERAL more programs (classics or not) just to fill the slots, let alone get people to pay for it & generate interest. It seems like this "WWE Network" needs it's own division of the company just to get it up & running, let alone KEEP it running.

*Persoanlly I think VKM is testing the waters w/ 3 hour RAW's. I think how long the 3 hours stay are going to be a HUGE sign of the future for the network.

I think it's really tough to justify your own cable network when you won't commit your top programming to it: Namely RAW and Smackdown.

Second, McMahon has a nasty habit for disparaging and ignoring the past, and this undercuts him when it comes to programming for the network as well.

Given Vince's track record with stuff other than wrestling, I wouldn't think this is advisable. WWE Films does ok at best and the XFL and WBF were total busts. Vince may want to expand beyond wrestling for whatever reason, but it hasn't worked well for him in the past almost at all. I'd stick to wrestling if I were him. I mean, it's only made him a multimillionaire.

Well, wrestling would obviously be the selling point at first. And Vince McMahon knows producing pro wrestling. And as the network continues to run, the idea is they will become better suited to running a television network, at which point, you'll see fewer wrestling influences, and more diversified entertainment.

There are a lot of differences between something like this and something like the XFL or even WWE Films. Trying to say this will fail because those did is like saying because Reservoir Dogs flopped at the box office, Quentin Tarantino shouldn't have ever made Pulp Fiction.

Will WWE Network work? No idea, but predicting doom and gloom because of past failures is unfair.

I think it's really tough to justify your own cable network when you won't commit your top programming to it: Namely RAW and

Not necessarily. I don't know what the exact plan was for the network, but I figure they would have aired re-runs of the flagship shows. Beyond that, though, it makes sense for WWE to build the network around new original shows, their extensive library, and PPVs (on occasion). If that begins to stick, THEN you consider moving Raw and Smackdown over. Having your own network is great, but you don't want to sink your entire brand if it fails. The USA/Sy-Fy slots are WWE's safety net -- I see nothing wrong with that.

It's fundamental to every business venture to first build a solid fan base and audience, before you really commit yourself to it. Jumping into something like this with both feet could -- like I said earlier -- kill the WWE.

Why would you buy the cow when you're already getting the milk for nothing?

Because eventually someone will come along and put a bullet in the cows head. If you buy the cow you can ensure that you will be getting a lot of milk for the foreseeable future.

Don't forget the PPVs that would switch to the network. Plus the money they could make on the reality shows. Unlike the WBF and XFL this network idea is worth sinking millions in. You could see bust coming from a mile away with the other two but the network would be huge.

BTW Joey both Raw and Smackdown would be on the network. Not live but they would still show them.

I agree with Sly that over time there would still be wrestling but it eventually would have other stuff on it. McMahon is all about entertainment.

One thing I don't get: how in the world could they not have enough content? Given the amount of video libraries they've accumulated, even if you ran stuff 24/7, at two hours per Raw you would be able to go approximately 83 days straight without ever having to air anything else.

I don't understand this either. Look at MLB network. Granted, MLB has nearly 25-50 years worth more of footage, but the way they lay out their program is perfect. Ask anyone who is a big baseball fan what channel they watch the most, they'll say MLB network. There's at least 12-15 hours that they kill a day by just replaying highlights, albeit in a couple different formats, but they make it work. The rest of the time either televises a live event or is a custom show or classic viewing of an old game.

With their enormous library collection, there's no reason for them to not have endless days of entertainment.

Well, wrestling would obviously be the selling point at first. And Vince McMahon knows producing pro wrestling. And as the network continues to run, the idea is they will become better suited to running a television network, at which point, you'll see fewer wrestling influences, and more diversified entertainment.

There are a lot of differences between something like this and something like the XFL or even WWE Films. Trying to say this will fail because those did is like saying because Reservoir Dogs flopped at the box office, Quentin Tarantino shouldn't have ever made Pulp Fiction.

Will WWE Network work? No idea, but predicting doom and gloom because of past failures is unfair.

That's not the only reason I'm predicting doom and gloom. The other reasons would be that apparently almost no cable companies are interested in carrying it, money has already been put into it such as millions of dollars for stuff like Legends House, the delays are continuing to mount up, other networks like this such as the NFL and MLB Networks struggled for a long time with much more popular sports behind them, and on top of that, Vince doesn't have a ton of luck with stuff outside of wrestling.

I've never watched a WWE film before. I don't know how they promote their films outside of the wrestling product but it would suit them well not to put the WWE label on the product. The name is a huge turnoff to most people.

As far as the network goes, it never made any sense to me that people would even consider paying for WWE programming that they get for the price of basic cable for 5 hours a week. I always pictured the network as just another crappy cable network that does shit numbers but costs so little that everyone makes money. I have a billion stations and rarely or never watch most of them but those stations hardly ever change.

I would think with WWE's current product they would gear up a station that appeals to boys ages 8 to 17 during the day and weekend hours and then play classic wrestling and original more adult programming in prime time (hosted by Jason Segel as Andre the Giant).

It all seems so simple but I have never started a television network nor do I know what would be lost if you start giving it away for free.

Not necessarily. I don't know what the exact plan was for the network, but I figure they would have aired re-runs of the flagship shows. Beyond that, though, it makes sense for WWE to build the network around new original shows, their extensive library, and PPVs (on occasion). If that begins to stick, THEN you consider moving Raw and Smackdown over. Having your own network is great, but you don't want to sink your entire brand if it fails. The USA/Sy-Fy slots are WWE's safety net -- I see nothing wrong with that.

It's fundamental to every business venture to first build a solid fan base and audience, before you really commit yourself to it. Jumping into something like this with both feet could -- like I said earlier -- kill the WWE.

You still need to sell it to an audience, and I don't know of many people other than hardcore, "gotta watch it all" fans who would by a network where you aren't getting prime time, live, first run content. You aren't going to get far by serving up luke warm material and asking people to pay for it. Re-runs of PPVs may help, as well as going back into the library, but given McMahon's tendency to crap on the past and ignore it entirely, this may not pan out well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back