TNA Network?

No, absolutely not. It's bad enough that WWE is getting their own channel. TNA struggle enough trying to get more people to watch Impact. How would they possibly be able to get people devoted to an entire channel? It could help some of the wrestlers get more exposure, so the idea does have its positives. One cannot ignore the huge issue that would have to be overcome though, and that is how TNA could get enough people to watch the channel. It would never be able to compete with WWE's channel. Remember when TNA tried to put Impact up against Raw? It would be like that, only on a much larger scale. TNA would be in a world of trouble. Finally, TNA would never be on the WWE network. WWE may not verbally acknowledge that TNA are a competitor, but with TNA being the #2 federation it does make them a rival and WWE would never help a rival.

It has nothing to do with "can the TNA Network compete with the WWE Network", it's asking the question if it could be faisable and it would be. I'm not even saying TNA could accomplish such a task but if tomorrow Spike decide to turn their channel into a fight/wrestling channel, there's no reasons they couldn't do it. Already their best show, Deadliest Warriors is going away. They could fill the place with TNA re-runs and get the rights from other wrestling feds to show their stuff or show their back catalog. I heard that the WWE Network won't be just about wrestling anyway, there will be reality shows and pop culture stuff like MTV does today by doing less music. As an alternative Spike could show actual wrestling and fights.

It has nothing to do with "can the TNA Network compete with the WWE Network", it's asking the question if it could be faisable and it would be. I'm not even saying TNA could accomplish such a task but if tomorrow Spike decide to turn their channel into a fight/wrestling channel, there's no reasons they couldn't do it. Already their best show, Deadliest Warriors is going away. They could fill the place with TNA re-runs and get the rights from other wrestling feds to show their stuff or show their back catalog. I heard that the WWE Network won't be just about wrestling anyway, there will be reality shows and pop culture stuff like MTV does today by doing less music. As an alternative Spike could show actual wrestling and fights.
Nothing would stop it besides professional wrestling being in a down market. TNA's attempt at a second show was panned by everyone except the guppies here. (With the benefit of hindsight for everyone now, can we all finally admit that ReAction was a big fat lump of shit?) Their flagship show has gained about 10% over the course of two years, which would be passable (not impressive- merely passable) if TNA/IW hadn't gone on a spending binge in 2009 in order to be able to pay for that gain.

WWE's ratings are falling. TNA/IW's ratings have held steady for a year. I find it hard enough to see the wisdom in a WWE channel at this time; what possible reason, beyond "the WWE did it", could the people that finance TNA/IW have to sponsor a TNA/IW network?

For the love of God, do not respond "you have to spend money to make money". The correct aphorism should be, "you have to spend money wisely to make money", because all I did in my last career was take money from people who figured they just had to spend it to have it come back.

SpikeTV will almost certainly acquire Bellator to replace the UFC. That's a no brainer move to make, because people already go to SpikeTV expecting the UFC, and they only expect UFC because cable exposure to other fight organizations has been all but nonexistent. I can't see them going to a wrestling/fighting focus, however, when their last attempt at expanding their wrestling offerings bombed.

Nothing would stop it besides professional wrestling being in a down market.

It's a down market because those in charge don't bother to put on a great programs or don't know how. People are starved for something great!

TNA's attempt at a second show was panned by everyone except the guppies here. (With the benefit of hindsight for everyone now, can we all finally admit that ReAction was a big fat lump of shit?)

It was an interesting concept where the execution wasn't always good. But it could have been improved upon. Their best ReAction was right after Fourtune attacked the ECW guys. It worked in the context because it was exactly what the title say it was a reaction to something that had happened. When you do a ReAction when nothing happens, that's the problem.

Also most of the people on the net even if they hated Impact thought ReAtion most of the time delivered. The reactions and promos were better there and the insight was better.

Their flagship show has gained about 10% over the course of two years, which would be passable (not impressive- merely passable) if TNA/IW hadn't gone on a spending binge in 2009 in order to be able to pay for that gain.

I don't know what they thought they had with ReAction but it was a mistake to cancel it. They should have used it better: do those shows only when sometime big happen as a you know post reaction. That should be the point. I think in general though Spike never really supported TNA well.

WWE's ratings are falling. TNA/IW's ratings have held steady for a year. I find it hard enough to see the wisdom in a WWE channel at this time; what possible reason, beyond "the WWE did it", could the people that finance TNA/IW have to sponsor a TNA/IW network?

It has nothing to do with the WWE. If anything yea WWE is in panic mode. As for Spike i'll explain it to you on my next response:

For the love of God, do not respond "you have to spend money to make money". The correct aphorism should be, "you have to spend money wisely to make money", because all I did in my last career was take money from people who figured they just had to spend it to have it come back.

SpikeTV will almost certainly acquire Bellator to replace the UFC. That's a no brainer move to make, because people already go to SpikeTV expecting the UFC, and they only expect UFC because cable exposure to other fight organizations has been all but nonexistent. I can't see them going to a wrestling/fighting focus, however, when their last attempt at expanding their wrestling offerings bombed.

Spike has cancelled Deadliest Warriors. TNA and Bellator is the only time they have! You think they will continue having Manswers for long? It wouldn't be much of a stretch to show re-runs of wrestling programs. They already shows re-runs of other MMA and boxing shows.

It's a down market because those in charge don't bother to put on a great programs or don't know how. People are starved for something great!
You speak of making weekly, episodic television featuring at least thirty to forty minutes every two hours of men in tights grinding against each other is easy. You say the people in charge don't bother to put on great programs or don't know how? What makes you think that they're going to know how when suddenly they'd have to fill a whole network's worth of programming.
It was an interesting concept where the execution wasn't always good. But it could have been improved upon. Their best ReAction was right after Fourtune attacked the ECW guys. It worked in the context because it was exactly what the title say it was a reaction to something that had happened. When you do a ReAction when nothing happens, that's the problem.
Or, they didn't learn the lesson from Nitro that wrestling fans don't have a three hour attention span. The ratings cratered for the show after Impact went off the air, causing them to do main event overruns in the hope people would stay tuned. They got pissed that Impact ended later instead. Good programming? What does that matter if people don't want to watch it in the first place? It cost much more to produce than other shows Spike makes, like Jail, 1000 Ways to Die, and- yes, Manswers, which can be produced dirt cheap with extras that cost at most $1k for a shooting session, which depending on union contract can cover multiple episodes. Professional wrestling costs MUCH more to make, which is why you aren't seeing SpikeTV invest extra time into it.
Also most of the people on the net even if they hated Impact thought ReAtion most of the time delivered. The reactions and promos were better there and the insight was better.
"Most of", a way to qualify that people agree with your opinion without having to provide any evidence of it. I don't care if a show has better production or is more entertaining, in the context of whether forming a network based on that content would be a wise decision- I care if it makes money. If it did, we'd be watching ReAction still.
I don't know what they thought they had with ReAction but it was a mistake to cancel it. They should have used it better: do those shows only when sometime big happen as a you know post reaction. That should be the point. I think in general though Spike never really supported TNA well.
Again, you have the wrong idea of why a television show stays on the air. There's stuff I find entertaining that has no shot of ever being on television, because not enough other people find it entertaining to be profitable. SpikeTV tried pushing TNA/IW in 2009, and got exactly nowhere. They're much more expensive to produce than the reruns and cheap original shows that SpikeTV has been using, and they aren't delivering the higher ratings margin that a tentpole show should to justify those expenses. SpikeTV isn't investing in the future of professional wrestling- they're investing in the future of SpikeTV.
Spike has cancelled Deadliest Warriors. TNA and Bellator is the only time they have! You think they will continue having Manswers for long? It wouldn't be much of a stretch to show re-runs of wrestling programs. They already shows re-runs of other MMA and boxing shows.
Yes, Manswers will continue to be on SpikeTV for a long time to come. It doesn't have to be good television, it has to generate enough advertising revenue to guarantee profit over expense. (The litmus test for this isn't "does it generate profit period", but "does it generate more profit than another program would in its place?") SpikeTV obviously doesn't see that it would be profitable to further invest in TNA/IW. If they did, they would be expanding their wrestling offerings.

TNA/IW had every opportunity throughout 2009 and 2010 to prove they could carry the network. There were two separate national advertising campaigns, including a very heavy media buy in January 2009, when they started investing heavily in talent as well. They've moved ratings up 10% in that time. If- and I'm using your words here- SpikeTV isn't really supporting TNA/IW, and if the people producing professional wrestling don't know how to make good programming now, how can you think that SpikeTV would want to go to a professional wrestling focus featuring people that you don't think can make good television?

I don't even know what would justify this. Remember that WWE has a MASSIVE wrestling library to pilfer for it's network. Even with that, I am really doubtful that it is going to work. TNA has ten years of TNA programming, not even close to a quarter of the material WWE has access to. Would a TNA network work? Hell No. Would I watch it? Nope. And at the end of the day, nobody else really would. I am a huge TNA fan, but this is just not going to happen. The company is better where it is at right now and needs to focus on other things like improving Impact so it can have it's own hardcore fanbase return.

this is a program that cannot get a 1.0 rating which is a little under one million, MILLION PEOPLE there are more people that brought the asian kid from american idol that watch tna which is sad...

this is a program that cannot get a 1.0 rating which is a little under one million, MILLION PEOPLE there are more people that brought the asian kid from american idol that watch tna which is sad...

1 million people is actually pretty good for cable. If you could have a cable network filled with show at 1.0 ratings it would be called a huge success.

A ratings point is actually 1% of the potential television audience (not to be confused with share, which is the percentage of people currently watching television.) Right now, one ratings point equals about 1.2 million people, so TNA's pulling in 1.4 million. Not terrible but below expectations of a couple years ago, that's for sure.

The theoretical 1.0 network would be a success if the cost of producing those programs was less than the revenue brought in from advertising and merchandising. Ratings are a good measuring stick when comparing a show against itself, but the key metric is if the ratings are paying for the advertising rates to support the programming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back