Gold Rush 2016: Constantine vs Stormrage - Heavyweight Championship Ladder Match

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many years ago...

The wind rustles through the tress gently as the sun beams down on the scenic landscape; the slightly overgrown grass blowing somewhat in the tender breeze. Between the heavy barks of the numerous trees, two children make the most of the sunshine and the opportunity of freedom. In the midst of perfect silence, a young feminine voice chimes.

Girl: Get that one, John!

The accompanying boy puts his hand on a large piece of wood before turning his head towards the obviously older girl; his eyes lighting up as he rolls his grubby knees through the terrain. Picking it up and showing it to the girl, John gets a slight nod in return. Letting a smile appear on his face, John grabs it and raises it to his chest, the weight of the timber almost outweighing the young boy.

John: It's heavy, Jessica!

The girl offers John a sceptical look before letting out a slight laugh at his expense.

Jessica: It has to be heavy, John. If it was light, then it would be no good for a tree house, would it?

The young boy lowers his head somewhat, appreciating the thought process behind the selection; especially when so many smaller pieces of wood were nearby. Seemingly happy with herself and the selection of the wood, Jessica turns on her heels and begins making her way through the beautiful vista at a reasonable pace. Giving a tut and beginning to trudge behind her with some difficulty, John begins to question the logic of his accomplice.

John: Why do we even need a tree house, Jessica? I wanted to play video games today! This was all your idea and I'm the one having to do all of the lifting.

The girl turns her head slightly, looking back at John; a wide smile forming on her face and a laugh forthcoming.

Jessica: Trust me, John, when all of this is done you'll thank me. It's not every day that you get to make something with your bare hands. Video games are boring.

John: For you, maybe.

John huffs as the two make their way through the grass until they reach their destination. Jessica comes to a complete stop as John bumps into the back of her unceremoniously. Recoiling somewhat, John catches a glimpse of what Jessica has seen. In his sights, a great tree; much bigger than the rest of the trees that accompany it and doubly as grand. Raising his chin to take in the entirety of the tree, Constantine swallows hard.

John: We can't build a tree house there, Jess!

Jessica turns on her heels; looking quite cross with her friend.

Jessica: And why not!?

John looks past Jessica for a moment, still struggling to take in the exact size of the massive tree. Flicking his gaze from one to the other, John allows a genuine look of concern to cross his features. Dropping the wood at his feet, Constantine shakes his head and then turns away in disgust.

Jessica: We have to build it here, John. Plus, I've already started it so I'm not changing my mind.

John continues to shake his head at the thought of climbing such a massive tree as a matter of fun. But, turning his head slightly, he manages to pick out some of the work that Jessica has begun on the massive timber structure; a few pieces of wood nailed to the bark for steps. Jessica waits for a moment for John's response before letting out a deep sigh and grabbing the wood from his feet. Moving towards the tree on her own, she lets her excitement rise.

Jessica: I'm doing it with our without your help, John. Go home and play video games all you like. See how much I care.

John allows a venomous look to sweep across his face as Jessica takes the wood and places it against the massive bark of the tree, before kicking it to break it into two. Grabbing one of the pieces, Jessica takes a few nails from her pocket and climbs a few of the steps she has already nailed on. Higher and higher up the tree she goes; her eyes lighting up with every step.

John: Jessica, come down! You're going too high!

John watches as Jessica continues to rise up the tree, completely uncaring of his warnings.

Jessica: I've did this hundreds of times before, John. These are the last two that I need to do and then I can start the tree house. And when I do, you're not allowed in.

As the young girl continues to climb, a creaking noise can be heard. Unaware, Jessica finally reaches her destination and puts the plank of wood horizontally across the wide bark of the massive tree, Clutching the tree with one hand putting a nail into the wood with her fingers.

Jessica: See, this is why I needed you, John! You're such a failure!

Letting go of the tree slowly and catching her balance on the wooden steps she has already nailed in, Jessica pulls a small club from her back pocket and begins gently hammering the nail into place. Suddenly, the wooden beam that Jessica stands on snaps and sends Jessica hurtling towards the ground. Letting out a scream of horror, John closes his eyes as a crunching sounds rings in his ears...

Today...

A screeching sound forces Constantine to open his eyes suddenly. As he looks through the glass at the front of the car, Constantine takes in his surroundings for a moment. He wasn't sure how log he had been asleep for but he did recognise the place he now found himself in. The state of Washington had always been a home away from home for The Power Trip. And looking at the streets of Seattle seemed to calm him immediately.

Constantine: How long until we arrive?

Looking in the rear view mirror, the driver suddenly notices that the number one contender to the Heavyweight Championship has suddenly awoken and adjusts himself accordingly.

Driver: A few moments, Sir. I have already paged ahead to make Miss Watson aware that we are almost with her.

Constantine: Good... Good.

After a few moments of navigating the streets of Seattle, the limousine finally comes to a complete stop outside of a luxurious looking corporate building. The walls are brilliant white on the outside and the abundance of glass windows make the building look very appealing. Through some of the windows, Constantine picks out a few people sitting at desks with staunch looks of deep concentration upon their features. Fixing his tie slightly as he looks in the mirror, Constantine waits for the driver to walk around the vehicle before opening his door. Constantine steps out of the car as the bright sunlight immediately makes his feel less comfortable; a feeling that he had been trying to mask since setting off on his journey.

Driver: I was told that Miss Watson would be waiting for you in the reception, Sir.

Constantine takes a deep breath in before huffing it out and giving the driver a stiff pat on the shoulder; trying to compose himself as he does so. Moving towards the door, an unknown man opens the door for the Power Trip as he plasters on a nervous smile. There, in the middle of the floor is Jessica, a beaming smile meeting her long lost friend and a glint in her eyes that mirrors that sentiment. Constantine gives her a sorrowful look before lowering his eyes and moving towards her.

Jessica: John! It's been so long.

The number one contender gives a slight nod of the head as Jessica urges him to join her in the seated area in the reception. Constantine looks reluctant but eventually sits himself down in the quiet area; placing himself down on a comfortable leather chair directly opposite his long lost friend.

Jessica: You seem tense, John. You're not still beating yourself up about what happened when we were kids, are you?

Constantine: It's hard not to.

Jessica gives Constantine's words a smile before wheeling herself towards him; her wheelchair fluidly moving over the tiled floors. Grabbing his hand and looking him in the eye, Jessica consoles her friend gently.

Jessica: It wasn't your fault, John. It was mine. In fact, as I recall, you were the only person who tried to stop me.

Constantine: I should have did more. I shou-

Jessica: Shh!

Constantine silently shakes his head from side to side, regretting his decisions of yesteryear as if they still cast a shadow over him today. Clutching his hand even more tightly, Jessica uses her other hand to lift the chin of The Power Trip and looks him deep in the eyes.

Jessica: This wasn't your fault, John. It was my decision. Do I regret it, yeah. But you deal with the hand you are dealt in life and you move forward. And hey, I guess I did well for someone with severe spinal damage, huh?

Constantine gives a slightly chuckle as he considers the irony of her choice of career and how far she has come from that one horrifying day.

Constantine: Creative supervisor in one of the biggest video games companies in the world, huh? I always remember you giving me a look of scorn whenever I mentioned that I wanted to play video games. What happened with that?

Jessica rolls her eyes as the mood lightens slightly.

Jessica: Well, I didn't really have a lot of choice after... The incident.

Constantine winces again.

Jessica: But it really made me appreciate certain things that I didn't ever have the time to appreciate before the accident. Truth be told, I thought that everyone who played video games were pathetic losers before I got the opportunity to play them myself.

Jessica loses herself in her past as she recalls her own history.

Jessica: Just after I got home from the hospital and the doctors were pretty sure that I would never walk again, I remember my mother putting me in my brothers room because it was downstairs. He didn't have a lot in the way of entertainment in that room, outside of a Super Nintendo and, I guess, necessity dictated my future. I started playing Super Mario one night and the love for the gaming industry started there.

Constantine rubs his chin with his finger as he ponders the past of his long time friend; nodding all the while.

Jessica: And I guess that would be the same for Mikey Stormrage.

Constantine becomes immediately alert as the name of his newest and fiercest opponent is uttered. Giving Jessica a deliberately naïve look, Constantine plays the fool. In return, Jessica gives a giggle that transports Constantine back to when they were kids.

Jessica: You think that I don't know what goes on in your life, John? I've been following your career trajectory since you first took office. I always thought that I had you figured you out. But choosing wrestling after politics, that shocked me. You've did an awesome job of transitioning mind you.

Jessica goes quiet for a moment.

Jessica: I know that you're not here for a catch up, John. Since that day, you've barely broke breath to me. It might be guilt on your part, or maybe I made you feel guilty for what happened. But like I said, it wasn't your fault. I really wish we could see each other more, John; you were my best friend. And now that you need information on Mikey Stormrage and what goes through his head, you turn up on my doorstep?

Falling silent one final time, Jessica catches her breath and quickly rubs a forming tear from under her eye.

Jessica: I just wish we were closer is all.

This time, it is the turn of The Power Trip to take the hand of his long-lost friend in an act of comfort. Looking Jessica in the eye, Constantine allows a look of genuine sorrow to appear on his face.

Constantine: I'm sorry, Jess. I could always have done more to see you. But I guess I couldn't face it for one reason or another. I always thought about you though; I never forgot.

Jessica offers a slight smile in return for Constantine's words.

Jessica: Well, where do we start?

Changing the subject quickly, Jessica stiffens her body in her chair. Constantine takes a deep breath and swallows hard as the emotion of the meeting becomes evident.

Constantine: I guess, I just wanted to get an insight into what the psychology of a gamer would be. You've did a lot of research, I would assume. And I have to admit, my knowledge of games has never been the same as when I was 10 years old.

Jessica laughs lightly as she warms to the idea.

Jessica: Well, that was a long time ago, John. A lot has changed in that time. And not least the video games industry. Everything is bigger, better and faster. But Mikey Stormrage doesn't strike me as the sort of person who finds a lot of pleasure in the new qualities of the video games industry. What we have found is that the type of video games you like often say a lot about what you are like as a person. And from what I have watched of Mikey Stormrage, I can pretty safely say that he is your typical Tetris or Pacman player.

Constantine recoils as the names given to him, almost as if they don't mean a single thing to him. Once again, Jessica offers a slight laugh at the number one contender as a look of serious confusion crosses his features.

Jessica: Don't worry, I'll talk you through it.

Constantine, this time offers a warm smile of his as he takes out a small notebook from his breast pocket and begins scrubbing some things down as Jessica begins.

Jessica: Firstly, Tetris players are known to be somewhat prone to addictive tendencies. These people stick to what is safe from a career standpoint and don't like to be challenged too much. Similarly, they show self-destructive tendencies. As things get harder and more challenging, Tetris players either rise to the challenge or lose themselves in it and end up folding entirely. At the end of the say, they look for small measures of success and don't often rise to the very top.

Constantine nods his head and urges Jessica to continue.

Jessica: Pacman players often develop tendencies of hunger and fear. The aim of the game is simply outrunning your fate for as long as you can whilst enjoying the journey as best you can. At the end of the day, these types of players know that their efforts will always be futile but are perfectly willing to see how far they can go before being sufficiently challenged. Mikey Stormrage fits these criteria perfectly.

Constantine smiles widely as Jessica finishes, her insight proving to be utterly spot on and worthwhile. Lowering his eyes for a second, Constantine ponders another question.

Constantine: And what about me, Jess?

Jessica opens her eyes widely in surprise as Constantine puts his notepad away and looks deep into her eyes.

Jessica: You're definitely a Pokemon player, for sure. Pokemon players have the ultimate aim of being considered the best. The entire idea of Pokemon is that you acquire all you can during your career or journey and test yourself against the very best that the world has to offer. You have consistently did that, John. You've gone up against the very best in the world and you have never come up short. The main personality trait of Pokemon players is that they like to continually develop themselves in a challenging scenario. The world of Pokemon is constantly changing and you never know what you're going to get. The best Pokemon players are the ones who are able to adapt to the world and continue growing; always preparing for the day that they come up against their biggest challenge and knowing that they will be ready.

Constantine offers Jessica a warm smile as she avoids his gaze for a second.

Jessica: Do you know why I was so intent on building that tree house, John? All those years ago, do you know why I wanted to do it?

Searching his memory for an answer, Constantine comes up short and can only offer a shake of his head.

Jessica: You used to be so scared of everything when we were kids, John. Your Mom and Dad weren't great parents and I assume that you've even figured that out by now. They liked to play it safe and never gave you the chance to jump and fall. Every night you would fall asleep with the light on. Every day, you would sit alone in your study and read books until it was time for bed.

Jessica struggles for the words as the number one contender to the Heavyweight Championship continues to stare at her.

Jessica: Just that one time in your life, I wanted to show you a little adventure; that it was okay to be scared sometimes. But what's more, I wanted to show you that you could be the one to keep on climbing. I intentionally picked the biggest tree in the glade, John. I wanted to show you that you had it within yourself to do something that you never thought you could.

Constantine allows a warm smile to appear on his features.

Jessica: And now you find yourself in a ladder match at Gold Rush. All of the psycho-babble in the world might be of some use to you. But if I could give you one piece of advice right now, it would be not to be afraid, John. You are so good at what you do and not a lot of people give you credit for that. Just the same way as your mother and father did all of those years ago, you continue to be brushed aside. But this is literally your chance to climb and keep climbing. Don't make the same mistake I did, John, don't doubt yourself and what you are capable of.

Constantine: Thanks, Jess.

With that, Constantine gets to his feet and puts his hand, warmly, on Jessica's shoulder. Jessica smiles as she meets the gaze of the number one contender. Giving her a nod, Constantine leaves her in the hallway; thinking about the tree and what it signified. He might fall but in the end but Jessica was right, he need to climb. Just this once...

"Take a right up here."

I looked up to make sure that Matt had taken the correct road, then went back to my notes.

"Thanks for driving, I know this is uncharted territory for you, but I think I just about have this speech finished."

"No problem man. All these dirt roads and the endless fields sort of remind me of home."

"Except we get internet service out here, right?"

Matt took one hand off the wheel and gave me a playful shove as I smiled out of the side of my mouth, still going over my notes.

"I know this isn't the best time, but I'd be remiss if I didn't ask where your head was right now. You doing alright?"

I looked up from my notes and stared out the window for a moment.

"I always knew this day would come, I just didn't expect it to be so soon, you know?"

"Are you talking about your mom or the match?"

"Both really."

"You know you deserve this. I mean your title shot, not your mom."

I pointed to the left as we approached an intersection.

"Take this left. And I know what you meant. I just feel like what have I done to deserve this?"

As Matt turned the wheel, he looked over at me.

"I'll tell you what you did, you went toe to toe with John Constantine twice, and despite all his backstage pull and all his dirty tactics, he couldn't beat you. Blood, sweat, and tears, you shed them all to get to this point."

Matt nearly over corrected when he felt the wheels hit the rumble strips.

"Watch out man, I don't think my family could take losing two people to car accidents in a week."

"And that is why you deserve it. In the face of adversity your entire career, you have faced it with a smile on your face. No one in this company has rolled with the blows like you have. From day one, you have gotten punched in the mouth and you wipe away the blood with a smile on your face."

"This is an entirely new challenge though. The entire company is behind Constantine. You saw how Banks wanted to just hand him the title. Then he puts me in a ladder match, like my fat ass can climb a ladder."

"You beat me by jumping off a ladder. And while I'm on the subject, didn't you retrieve the title back at Kingdom Come four to win the TLC match for Strikeforce?"

"The point still stands, the deck is stacked against me."

"Use that. Make this match a big fuck you to the suits at the top. Make it a fuck you to everyone who ever overlooked you, who ever doubted that you would make it."

"I wonder myself if I can make it. I've said it before, my whole life I was never much of shit. By most measurements I don't exist. My whole life I've been a fuck up, but I have a chance to change that, and all I can think about is what my mom would say to me. She used to text me before each match, wishing me luck. I'm heading into the biggest match of my career, and I won't have that. I don't know if I can do it."

I looked up and saw the funeral home. I got my notes in order as Matt pulled in.

"You know you don't have to be here for this."

"You are my best friend, of course I'm here for you. Live Mas for life bro."

Matt patted me on the back before we stepped out and walked through the gravel parking lot toward the entrance.

"You know this is the first time I have ever seen you in a suit. You don't look bad."

I looked at my reflection in the glass of the main entrance.

"Thanks man. If only she could see me like this."

"I'm sure she would love it just as much as she loved you man."

Matt pulled me in for a hug before we went inside.

"You got this. I believe in you."

Matt made his way toward the back of the viewing room. I got a glimpse of him a couple of times as I made my way around the room. A few of my relatives had the gall to ask him for pictures and autographs, which he obliged. I made the rounds, greeting relatives I hadn't seen in many years, hugging family that resented my decision to pursue my dream, shaking hands with family friends who I had never met. It was an exhausting experience in itself, and I still had a speech to give.

I made my way to a side room where there were refreshments, and grabbed a bottle of water. I had never liked funerals. Not in the traditional sense of mourning, but what they represented. It seemed to me that a man's best party only happened when he died.

Soon the proceedings were to start, so we all made our way into the viewing room and took our seats. I was ashamed of myself, but I mostly zoned out during the preacher's speech. Yes, I had lost my mother, but I was on the eve of the biggest match of my career, and it was the only thing I could think of.

Soon the preacher was finished.

"I understand that Tamala's son Michael wishes to share some words."

I stood and approached the pulpit, briefly shaking the hands with the pastor. I pulled my notes from my jacket, took a deep breath and looked them over, then put them back inside my pocket.

"In life, there are no pause buttons, no extra lives, no checkpoints to revert back to if you screw up. When the universe says it's time, it's game over."

I took a deep breath.

"Many of you know what I do for a living, and most disagreed with my decision to leave home and go on the road full time in pursuit of my dream. Those who disagree with that decision will surely hate the fact that for the last few weeks, each time my mother tried to call me, I ignored her. The fact of the matter was I was training for the biggest fight of my life, and anyone and everything that was going to distract me from that had to be pushed aside. I'm not proud of what I did. I've regretted it everyday since. There is one person that wouldn't have been upset with my decision, and that was my mother. The last time we spoke, I told her, 'Mom, for a long time I played the part of a sidekick, the best friend, the afterthought, but that's in the past.' She agreed with me. She knew deep down that I had what it took to beat Constantine and break free of those chains. She told me I could be called the greatest tag team wrestler of all time, that I could have my EurAsian title reign, that I could talk about how I was best friends with nearly everyone in the business, but none of it would have mattered if I never won the big one. My mom was always my biggest fan, and yeah she cried when I moved away from home to pursue my dream, but she was there every chance she got to cheer me on, to yell louder than anyone in the stadium. She would watch me wrestle in from of fifty people in a middle school gym, or fifty thousand people in a sold our stadium, and win or lose she was the first person in the parking lot to greet me each night. I told my friend Matt, she used to text me good luck before each match, and as I head into my biggest match, I won't have that. I'm scared. For the first time in a long time I am going into a fight afraid. I always knew if I failed, she would be there for me. It is what helped keep me going despite my laundry list of failures. So celebrate my mom's life, and mourn her passing. Each of us will grieve in our own way. Some will cry, others will look back on memories and laugh, others will be angry and ask why, and some will show no emotion at all. I don't know if I will beat John Constantine at Gold Rush, I don't know if I will become champion, but I take solace in the fact that I was always her champion."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back