Genius (Impact Spoilers)

People still haven't explained this whole ECW craze to me. I'm guessing it's both recent and highly relevant though.

Weapons and blood are cool, Sam. :rolleyes: That is why.

To most people, that is. X, JMT, and probably RVDgurl (maybe NSL too) will talk about the wrestling, which if you take away the weapons could have been pretty good stuff.

Weapons and blood are cool, Sam. :rolleyes: That is why.

To most people, that is. X, JMT, and probably RVDgurl (maybe NSL too) will talk about the wrestling, which if you take away the weapons could have been pretty good stuff.

ECW really was more than that, Chi. Not all the wrestlers were great, but this was where Benoit, Guerrero, Malenko, Jericho, Lance Storm, Tajiri, Super Crazy, Juventud, Rey, all of them got their starts. The wrestling was top notch, with or without the weapons. Saying otherwise is just wrong, mate.

Edit: I shouldn't really say start. Even in America, that isn't right for half the list. Jerich and Storm got theirs in SMW, Benoit in WCW, and Malenko, I'm not really sure. I meant big break, really

ECW really was more than that, Chi. Not all the wrestlers were great, but this was where Benoit, Guerrero, Malenko, Jericho, Lance Storm, Tajiri, Super Crazy, Juventud, Rey, all of them got their starts. The wrestling was top notch, with or without the weapons. Saying otherwise is just wrong, mate.

You couldn't tell the sarcasm? Fuck.

I know where they got their starts, this is me you are talking to. I wasn't around for popular ECW, I got a bit of the tail end. And I'm not saying it wasn't great, I just didn't catch the greatness that it was. Some of the stuff I have seen on youtube was great, other stuff not so much. Whether it be promos, matches, whatever.

Actually no. The wrestling of one or two matches per show was top notch. Then it just fell apart.

Well, yeah, what would you expect with Sandman working, allegedly, two matches sober in ECW.

Look, there were some not great workers covered up by gimmicks, but you can;t deny the wrestling, at least in America, was revolutionary at the time. ECW were pioneers, plain and simple

You've never seen Mid-South from the early 80s have you? Or the Concession Stand Brawl down in Tupelo. THOSE were pioneers.

You couldn't tell the sarcasm? Fuck.

Sarcasm, something usually lost in a monitor :lmao:

I know where they got their starts, this is me you are talking to.

Fair point

I wasn't around for popular ECW, I got a bit of the tail end. And I'm not saying it wasn't great, I just didn't catch the greatness that it was.

Oh, you poor soul.

some of the stuff I have seen on youtube was great, other stuff not so much. Whether it be promos, matches, whatever.

At some point, Paul lost the magic. Methinks it was when he couldn't afford his good workers, and watched them all go to other promotions.

Methinks it was when he refused to go with RVD and had Shane as a lame duck champion for four months so that Taz could whine his way to a world title and then beat up guys like Bubba in the main event while RVD got great pop after great pop.

You've never seen UWF from the early 80s have you? Or the Concession Stand Brawl down in Tupelo. THOSE were pioneers.

I have, and again, you'd be right, but the truth was, UWF didn't have the workers ECW did, plain and simple. You had, what, Sting when he was green, The Von Erichs, Ted DiBiase, Chris Adams who gets royally forgotten, Rick Steiner and what else?

Again, sure UWF had hardcore fighting, but ECW had the mixture of hardcore fighting and world class workers that UWF just didn't have.

ECW had world class workers for a brief period of time. Then they got on PPV and the whole thing just died.

Methinks it was when he refused to go with RVD and had Shane as a lame duck champion for four months so that Taz could whine his way to a world title and then beat up guys like Bubba in the main event while RVD got great pop after great pop.

I'd buy half of that. Having RVD not be champion was fucking stupid, but Taz wan't a bad decision at all. The man was a fucking beast in the ring, and was pretty damn over himself. Sure, he didn't have the competition to make the Main Event's credible, but you can;t hate on what Taz did.

Yeah he was after Shane kept the title forever. he got hurt in like June, didn't wrestle until August, had a tag match there and didn't drop the belt to Taz until January. Everyone knew it would be Taz until then but they just kept it on him forever anyway. It was painful to watch.

Yeah he was after Shane kept the title forever. he got hurt in like June, didn't wrestle until August, had a tag match there and didn't drop the belt to Taz until January. Everyone knew it would be Taz until then but they just kept it on him forever anyway. It was painful to watch.

In all fairness, he also did drop the strap to Bam Bam along the way. Mind you, that was a terrible way to go, but still, he did at least drop the title to someone. Just the overall worst decision possible

In all fairness, he also did drop the strap to Bam Bam along the way. Mind you, that was a terrible way to go, but still, he did at least drop the title to someone. Just the overall worst decision possible

For like 3 weeks and then Shane won it back to hold it for over a year.

Yeah, that was pretty dumb. Paul always had some type of dependency on Douglas, which I don't get, as I personally don't think he's that good. He's ok, but when he's not allowed to throw f-bombs at Ric Flair, you can see his talent deteriorate before your very eyes

Same with Justin Credible. He was pushed to the damn moon and was never anything. When guys like him, Lynn and Corino are getting the title, there's a problem. And yeah, Lynn was good enough to get it, but Corino was more or less a caricature in ECW and Credible was a joke. These guys get the title while RVD is fighting Scotty Riggs. What's not right here?

Personally, I think "Old School" Corino had all the potential to be a great heel ECW Champion but he was made almost into a Johnny Polo type character. I can't help but feel that a feud between him and RVD could have been good

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back