ECW Region, Mex Subregion, Round 1: (15) Jack Brisco vs. (18) Billy Graham

Who Wins This Match?

• Jack Brisco

• Billy Graham

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the ECW Region, Mexico City Subregion. It is a standard one on one match being held under ECW Rules. It will be held at the Arena Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico

arena-mexico.jpg

mqpwkv7jugopo356r5ew.jpg

#15. Jack Brisco

Vs.

01.jpg

#18. Billy Graham

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Superstar Billy Graham.

For the sheer fact that Superstar was the man that finally beat Bruno Sammartino and ended his 7 year reign was it? Here was the choice and turning point when the strap was put on a charismatic entertainer who had the gift of the gab like no other for his time. Well atleast till he had he had his feud with Dusty.

A man who sold out MSG 19 outta 20 times is certainly no ordinary performer. He was someone who won by hook or crook and only lost to the next top dog in Backlund.
Graham!

Two champions from a similar era here, but I've got to go with Graham. Brisco was probably the better mat worker, but so much of what has come to be the norm of wrestling has come through Graham. Before him, wrestlers looked like Jack Brisco. After him they looked like Hulk Hogan and Jesse Ventura. To say he's singlehandedly responsible for that is to go too far, but when you consider that on paper their careers are similar, it is left to Graham's far reaching influence to sway this one.

Superstar Billy Graham.

For the sheer fact that Superstar was the man that finally beat Bruno Sammartino and ended his 7 year reign was it? Here was the choice and turning point when the strap was put on a charismatic entertainer who had the gift of the gab like no other for his time. Well atleast till he had he had his feud with Dusty.

A man who sold out MSG 19 outta 20 times is certainly no ordinary performer. He was someone who won by hook or crook and only lost to the next top dog in Backlund.
Graham!

I believe he ended Sammartino's four year title reign, not the seven year reign. Still an impressive feat no doubt. Despite that I'm leaning toward Brisco here. You mentioned that he beat Bruno and eventually lost to the next top dog in Backlund. Bruno's style is more like Graham's while Backlund's is more like Brisco's. It's a great matchup but I say if Graham can't beat Backlund he won't beat Brisco. I could be swayed but for now I'm leaning toward Brisco.

I believe he ended Sammartino's four year title reign, not the seven year reign. Still an impressive feat no doubt. Despite that I'm leaning toward Brisco here. You mentioned that he beat Bruno and eventually lost to the next top dog in Backlund. Bruno's style is more like Graham's while Backlund's is more like Brisco's. It's a great matchup but I say if Graham can't beat Backlund he won't beat Brisco. I could be swayed but for now I'm leaning toward Brisco.

I stand corrected, however to beat the main man at your premier venue is a feat on its own. The man had a 'transitional title reign' if you will of 296 days and was maddeningly over with the crowd. And if you wanna bring the technical side to this argument, then well:

http://superstarbillygraham.net/Graham/results/Jan21_1977.html

He beat Pat O'Connor, someone who is lauded as one of the greatest old school technical wrestler. In a best of 5 falls may I add. Superstar has had his share of losses I admit but a Billy Graham on top did everything to win. I say he uses the rope and gets a pinfall over Brisco. Or has a handful of tights.

This match might have drew more than anything else we might see in this tournament. I have to go with Brisco here though. He spent years in the NWA doing nothing but being excellent holding The most prestigious title in the world at the time for over a year on two different occasions. Not to say Graham is no match for him but Jack Brisco was a blue collar type of hero which is exactly what Graham lost his WWWF title to.

This match might have drew more than anything else we might see in this tournament. I have to go with Brisco here though. He spent years in the NWA doing nothing but being excellent holding The most prestigious title in the world at the time for over a year on two different occasions. Not to say Graham is no match for him but Jack Brisco was a blue collar type of hero which is exactly what Graham lost his WWWF title to.

Yes but Backlund was annointed by McMahon Sr. to be the next guy and that's why Superstar lost to him. Graham has beaten his share of technical masters and in no way is Brisco any different to a a Connor or a Zybysko.

Also:
Aug10_1977b.jpg

A red-hot Graham rarely lost a one-on-one match.

I'm going with Graham here. Their careers are similar, but Graham's influence cannot be denied. Also, this is a big match, in a big arena, and probably a 2/3 Falls match. Brisco would give Graham the match of a lifetime, but I don't think he'd pull off the win.

Graham with the "upset"...

Something a lot of people don't know: Billy Graham to this day holds the record for the longest WWF/E Title reign by a heel. It was longer than Yoko, it was longer than JBL, it was longer than HHH. Graham is a huge influence on more wrestlers than almost anyone and while Brisco was a huge deal and a favorite of mine, I'm going with Graham.

Really, really hard one.
In the end, I vote Jack Brisco (a) because he is a better mat technician, and (b) he has the higher seed (does it even really matter? Just asking.)
Vote Brisco, no offense to Billy Graham, one of my faves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back