ECW Region, Calgary Subregion, Round 1: (14) RVD vs. (19) Gene Kiniski

Who Wins This Match?

• Rob Van Dam

• Gene Kiniski

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the ECW Region, Calgary Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under ECW Rules. It will be held at the Saddledome, Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

front.jpg

rob-van-dam-21438274.jpg

#14. Rob Van Dam

Vs.

51095215_127128052033.jpg

#19. Gene Kiniski

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

I suppose I'll be the first to take a crack at this... And I'll also be the first to admit that I DEFINITELY read that as "Gene Snitski" and was confused upon entering the thread and seeing Kiniski's picture staring back at me.

So what is there to say about Gene Kiniski? Well, if you're like most and have no real grasp of pro wrestling before 1885, probably a lot (I'm not bashing anybody, just to be clear. We can't expect everyone to know who Gene Kiniski is...). He may very well be the greatest Canadian pro wrestler of all time. You don't hear his name in the numerous Bret Hart, Chris Jericho, Edge debates, but Kiniski helped pioneer the industry before most of those guys were born! Like many during that age he would travel from promotion to promotion, wrestling the who's who of talent in that era. Win a championship, lost a championship, move on to the next scene. He won (according to Wiki) 26 tag team championships alongside multiple Von Erich's and even Killer Kowalski!

Now, regardless of how it looks, I'm not really all that pro-Kiniski. I just wanted to get some stats out there and support him, since the majority of readers won't know anything about him or his lengthy career. His opponent is Rob Van Dam, a man that helped pioneer a hardcore industry (that I never really cared about...), but can also hold his own in a straight-up wrestling match. His accomplishments are nothing to scoff at either, gaining major gold in every promotion he's been a part of. RVD is a huge fan favorite of a lot of wrestling fans, and while I never cared about ECW and didn't pay attention to RVD until his last run in WWE, I can still respect his career.

The question of who wins isn't really a simple one. RVD is strong as hell, and has a decent amount of stamina. But take away all hardcore gimmicks and I'm not sure he could compete on Kiniski's level. He's good, but Gene was "Canada's Greatest Athlete" for a reason! I'm sure many will disagree with me, and for very good reason indeed, but I have to cast my vote for Gene Kiniski in the first round.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend to know a lot about Gene Kiniski. It's tough when an oldtimer like this comes up against someone like RVD. I'm sure RVD's popularity and the voter's familiarity with him will be a great advantage for RVD. I'm going with Kiniski here. He beat Lou Thesz for the NWA title and held it for three years. I don't want to bash him but RVD didn't even get a world title run in ECW. I can't vote for someone who couldn't win a minor league title over someone who held the premire championship for three years after beating arguably the greatest champion ever to win it.

I have to go with Van Dam here. Not because i'm not familiar with Kiniski but because Kiniski has had zero impact on my viewing as a wrestling fan. A lot of people will give Kiniski the vote just because it's the cool thing to do since he's the old school guy, but i find it quite ignorant to vote for someone that has done nothing for you as a fan.

I know Gene Kiniski by name, but nothing else. I'm a huge RVD fan, but when you look back in history, you have to go with Gene. RVD's biggest accomplishment? The ECW Title, now he resides badly in TNA. Kiniski though was a champion for 3 years as Brain said, it's gotta go to him.

JS votes Gene Kiniski

I'll be voting for RVD. Why? Mostly Killam's line about Kiniski being Canada's Greatest Athlete. As a Canadian, I can tell you that being Canada's Greatest Athlete is like being the best one-legged cross-country runner. That's right: A Terry Fox joke. As a Canadian, I have the right to make such a joke. And I also have the right to tell you that being a great Canadian means absolutely nothing against even an average American wrestler. But Van Dam isn't just an average American wrestler. Some of this board's top posters, such as jmt225 and Coco, would go as far as to tell you that Van Dam is well above above-average. Kiniski is fucked.

Vote: Rob Van Dam

I don't really know a ton about Gene Kiniski other than the fact that he defeated Lou Thesz for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship and held onto the title for more than 3 years. I've heard his name, obiviously, and read a few things on him here and there but I've never really taken the time to look at him in depth.

As for RVD, I think the guy's kind of overrated. RVD is fun to watch inside the ring but I've never sprayed my shorts over the guy like some do. At the same time, I have little doubt that RVD will win this due to sheer popularity and that most people are going to be more familiar with him than with Kiniski.

Going by the pictures alone, it's a safe bet that RVD is certainly the more athletic of the two men and RVD's athleticism & high flying moves are going to be difficult for Kiniski to combat. If Kiniski can ground RVD, then he has a shot. Take away RVD's mobility and he's as helpless as a newborn kitten.

I'm leaning towards RVD but my mind could be changed I suppose.

I don't want to bash him but RVD didn't even get a world title run in ECW. I can't vote for someone who couldn't win a minor league title over someone who held the premire championship for three years after beating arguably the greatest champion ever to win it.

When RVD held the TV Title, the ECW Title didn't matter to anyone except the guys fighting for it. He made that belt the premiere title. You can't say he didn't win the "big one" in ECW, when he went a step beyond that, and made his belt the one everyone wanted to see. He didn't need the ECW rules either, and there's no doubting his abilities.

Kiniski certainly is a great wrestler, and is at home in Canada, but RVD lives off being the heel, and would do things Kiniski never saw in the ring. It's hard to defend against that. I'm sure it'd be a great match, but I'm going with RVD.

Look at the size of Gene Kinski's belt: it's miniscule. It's puny. It's miniscule. It clearly represents the type of champion he is.

Well, not exactly. He did beat some of the greatest names to ever come out of professional wrestling, including Pat O'Connor, Bobo Brazil, and both Funks.

But he never met anyone that was quite like Rob Van Dam. He's probably never been monkey flipped, and I have my doubts that he ever had to face someone with the fancy feet that Rob Van Dam has. In a wrestling match, Kiniski wins, but in a striking contest, Rob Van Dam rolls.

RVD has worked with guys like Kiniski and won. Kiniski hasn't worked with guys like RVD and will be taken completely by surprise. Tough luck Gene.

Rob Van Dam has held 22 championships between ECW, WWE and TNA, as well as several regional titles in various promotions during his career. In major promotions he is a three-time world champion having held the WWE Championship, ECW World Heavyweight Championship and the TNA World Heavyweight Championship once each.

Rob Van Dam is the only man to achieve both WWE and ECW's version of the Triple Crown. Part of ECW's Triple Crown included the ECW World Television Championship, of which RVD's 700 day reign was the longest.

RVD wins this one.

In many ways, it has been argued that Kiniski was a right place at the right time kind of guy. I'm not sure I buy that argument really. First and foremost, you don't win the AWA and NWA titles by fluke. Especially not by beating the stalwarts in those companies, Gagne and Thesz respectively. He was also within a controversial decision of beating Sammartino for the WWWF title. That's a huge achievement, and shouldn't go unnoticed, but it isn't the biggest factor in this match.

Perhaps more than any other match in this tournament, the location plays into the hands of one of the men massively. Kiniski had the gimmick of being "Canada's Greatest Athlete" and made a habit of beating face wrestlers from all over who'd come to face him, particularly those who were popular, but ultimately fell short of being consistent top level men. Remind you of anyone?

Rob Van Dam will win this match, easily. But in reality he is an average wrestler who is possibly the only man in history to fail at being a heel. That's not a positive thing. Van Dam would lose this match by pinfall in Canada 999 out of 1000 times. In the other time it'd be a double count out and he'd lose the rematch. Kiniski is a better wrestler, a more successful champion and at home.

Poor, poor, poor Gene Kiniski; until he goes into the WWE Hall of Fame he'll probably be known for being the namesake of Gene Snitsky. By all means Kiniski should win here, but since Kane went over Bockwinkel last year I doubt he will.

Van Dam was an explosive competitior known for his quick feet and innovative offense. His huge popularity was eventually topped with a WWE reign, which he pissed away with a failed drug test.

Regardless I'm leaning towards Van Dam just because the man's style would be so unpredictable to someone like Kiniski, who fought primarily technicians and giants. One second Van Dam could be kicking him, and the next he could flying all over the ring.

During his run as the ECW TV Champion, RVD would have beaten almost any man alive. Especially at that time. Kiniski was a legend in his own time but wrestling has gone so far since then and RVD mastered a brand far more difficult than what Kiniski did. Innovation is great and earns respect but it doesn't necessarily win you matches. With all due respect to Kiniski, RVD wins.

I know little about kiniski, however simply due to generations Im going for RVD, even in his day people didnt know how to combat RVDs unique, and odd offense, I dont think kiniski would have stood a chance with the flexibily and martial arts skills of rob van dam

RVD knows how to pull loads of moves out of a hat. Sure there's a few moves RVD uses in most of his matches, but he can do something completely different on the fly. Kiniski (while I don't know that much about him) would not be used to RVD's style at all giving the advantage to RVD (who would know how to combat Kiniski's style)

As most posters on here, I am not familiar with Kiniski other than knowing he held the World Title for 3 years at a time when there were alot of other big names around. He obviously deserves respect, no doubt about it.

However, for me personally, Rob Van Dam is one of the men that made me really fall in love with wrestling. I had seen a few of his ECW matches and was already a wrestling fan but the appearance of RVD in the WWE took my interest to the next level and helped make me the passionate wrestling fan I am today.

He was so innovative, creative and did things I had never seen any other wrestler do. RVD has fought plenty of guys with a style like Kiniski, but the veteran will have never seen anyone capable of hitting a frog splash like Rob Van Dam, anyone who throws a kick like RVD or anyone with the speed of offense of a Van Dam in his prime.

He wouldn't cope. RVD would win this after kicking Kiniski silly and hitting the 5 star.

This is one of those matches where RVD is going to win because no one knows who Kiniski is. Kiniski's nickname was Canada's Greatest Athlete. This match is in Calgary, which is in............Alberta, Canada. He has the home field advantage and would be able to stop Van Dam. RVD is by far more well known, but that certainly doens't make him better.

How could anyone consider RVD to be better than Kiniski. Makes me sick. I get he is an Internet darling cause he stooges out results but Kiniski is easily the better man. He put on clinics everytime he ever wrestled and carried the NWA Title for years.

Kiniski takes advantage of a blown dive by RVD for the win EVERY NIGHT OF THE WEEK

Well, here's a vote I wish I could take back. With ECW rules on the table, I don't care if this takes place in Calgary or the Hart Dungeon, RVD takes the win here. Does the man even feel pain anymore? Put him through tables, nail him with 2x4's, throw him off a cage...the guy will just keep getting back up!

I've never been a huge RVD fan, but there's very few people from outside of ECW that I think could beat Van Dam in an Extreme matchup.

Rob Van Dam placed in the ECW region? Talk about a sleeper pick!

In any other ring, Kiniski would have a strong argument. But never in an ECW ring. How would Kiniski handle getting smashed in the face with a steel folding chair? I'm sure he wouldn't take it too well. As strong as Kiniski would have been in other regions, he's that much weaker in this one.

RVD by pinfall. 11 minutes.

RVD in ECW is damn near unstoppable especially against Kiniski. RVD would do things with ECW rules that Kiniski had never dreamed of before. A bloodied Kiniski loses to the 5 star frog splash through a table. No disrespect to Kiniski he is as decorated a wrestler as they come, but this is not his element. This favors RVD immensely.

VOTE RVD

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back