Canada.. a target for Vince?

Alanson

Dark Match Winner
This is my first ever thread. But i had some thoughts after watching the latest edition of Raw and wanted to comment about it, and ask for your opinions.

Did any of you notice at all, that the past Raw in Calgary, Canada completely got bashed and not even 1 Canadian wrestler stood up for Canada, on top of that they had Chris Jericho kind of turn on the country, stating he's American.

The first question i have is.. does Vince STILL hold a grudge for Bret? Is he pissed because Bret will not come back to 1 episode of WWE programing?

Being a Canadian, and seeing this past Raw.. i dunno about other Canadians but this turned me off from WWE. WWE made it clear it favors it's American fans, and completely bashes not only the Canadian country but the Canadian fans, in my opinion.

To have Slaughter badmouth the country so bad, and have nobody step in to be "the hero" is just a slap in the face. I didn't see the point. Obviously Slaughter doesn't need heel heat anymore, he's not an active wrestler.

What's your thoughts?

Suck it up. No, Vince does not have a grudge against Bret that he takes out on his entire home country. Bret and Vince have both said on muliple occasions that no ill will exists between them. Second, Slaughter plays a gimmick as an American hero, and being in Canada they made him act heelish. He was just drawing heat to get the fans into it, it wasn't neccisary to have a Canadian face come out and fight him. Jericho right now is the best heel in the company, but he always gets cheered up here even as a heel. The promo he did was to keep his heat. Jericho insulting the fans, something he does EVERY SINGLE WEEK, doesn't mean anything more if he's in Canada. He always attacks some attribute about the crowd, in this case it was nationalistic pride, which made sense seeing as how Canadians usually cheer him for that reason. Lastly, I can't even think of any Canadian faces on Raw. In fact there aren't any, so who do you propose stand up for the country? They didn't attack Canada in any way. As a fellow Canadian, I'm here to tell you to toughen up a bit.

well 1st off.. i didn't ask you for advice about my personal life on how i act or on how i speak. So get over your ego, kid. Second of all, you are only 17 so you probably don't remember, being like 5 or so, the good shit guys like Bret and Shawn had back in the day. It was good a good rivalry with both countries having their heroes.

I might speak only for myself on this but, if you want to watch a product bashing our country every time it visits, go ahead. There doesn't need to be a FACE wrestler to get cheered in Canada. And as far as Jericho keeping the heat. He's likely to get a slight bit more cheers in the states now for saying it.. so i don't think it's keeping the heat at all. He would get more in the states knowing how Canada praised him, and he accepted them as his fans, but not the american fans. THAT would give him even more heat, my little man.

Slaughter isn't wrestling so him being a heel in Canada is pointless unless Hart Dynasty were to come out and beat him up. It would give them the hometown rub to give them higher profile exposure even if its for 1 week as faces could have helped developed them as heel as the following week in the USA they'd be hated for attacking Slaughter. My favorite episodes were the Hart Foundation feuding with Americans.

This could have set up a Dark Match Main Event of Hart Dynasty vs. Jericho/Show where they go over to make the fans go home happy.

Instead many people went to bed or went home Monday Night dissapointed in the product because of the pointless insults.

I am a Canadian too and I am totally behind Alanson, to put our flag on the screen and then to disgrace it the way they did, I'm sorry are they trying to lose their Canadian fanbase, it was totally unnecessary for them to do that, as soon as it happened i was totally disgusted they would do that, hopefully they don't pull the same shit when they have RAW in Toronto, and hopefully they have a better guest host then that old good for nothing son of a bitch they had last monday

the show is intended more for television than the live crowd, and if jericho didnt attack canada in his promo then cena would have been boo'd the whole match and jericho cheered (even after the promo it was 50/50)

and the slaughter thing made perfect sense, i found all of his insults entertaining, what else was he going to do?

and i was at smackdown in edmonton, SPOILER ALERT

no anti-canadian remarks, and they kept jericho of the mic and away from any main spots to avoid his cheers

well 1st off.. i didn't ask you for advice about my personal life on how i act or on how i speak. So get over your ego, kid. Second of all, you are only 17 so you probably don't remember, being like 5 or so, the good shit guys like Bret and Shawn had back in the day. It was good a good rivalry with both countries having their heroes.

Absolutely I remember that. Sure, I was very young, but Bret Hart was my idol. It was a great feud, but things change. I fail to see how a feud from 12 years ago matters today.

I might speak only for myself on this but, if you want to watch a product bashing our country every time it visits, go ahead. There doesn't need to be a FACE wrestler to get cheered in Canada. And as far as Jericho keeping the heat. He's likely to get a slight bit more cheers in the states now for saying it.. so i don't think it's keeping the heat at all. He would get more in the states knowing how Canada praised him, and he accepted them as his fans, but not the american fans. THAT would give him even more heat, my little man.

I understand that wrestling is a work, therfore I don't care if they insult my country. It's scripted. Sgt. Slaughter doesn't really hate Canada. Chris Jericho obviously doesn't hate Canada. It's a work. As for the part about Jericho getting more heat for embracing his Canadian roots, that could be true. I don't think it makes sense within his character though. All he's done for 6 months is turn his back on his supporters, which includes us Canadians. I don't think the average American has anything against Canada, so it's not like they will love him now because he doesn't like Canadians anymore. He was just keeping the heat, and I feel it was done well.

It's not that Vince is holding grudges. To be fair there were characters that bashed America full throttle. Who remembers the Hart Foundation always making their bro Canadian rants during Raw Is War? How about the Un Americans with Test, Lance Storm, William Regal and Christian? Their logo was the American flag upside down. Better yet, how about Sgt. Slaughter? What Slaughter did during Raw this week was pretty softcore in comparison to what we seen of him. He turned into an Iraqi sympathizer during the Gulf War. Hell he was even asked to burn the American flag on television however he ended up burning a Hulk Rules tear away tank top instead. They had to rebook WrestleMania from an outdoor venue to an indoor arena due to Slaughter's safety because of the threats that were made at the time. Or how about The Iron "Make You Humble" Sheik? Iran nummer vun, Russia nummer vun. USA? HACK THOOOOOOOOOO!

It's all part of the show. To be honest I could care less if the WWE bashes Chicago or the United States in general because the heel heat is always fun especially if you're there in person.

To be honest I don't see putting the Canadian flag on the TitanTron with a red circle & slash through it to be any different than The Un-Americans waving the American flag upside down on a weekly basis. Like I said it's all fun entertainment. As an American it never bothered me with the ways they intended to insult American. Hell I absolutely loved the Sgt. Slaughter heel turn on America and becoming an Iraqi sympathizer but it's too bad it didn't live on longer. Better yet I feel that a lot of these anti American wrestlers are always entertaining because it makes them that much more of a bad guy and I'm a huge supporter of villains.

That's nothing to do with his hatred for Canada. It was just a bit of fun, it would've been much easier for Sgt. Slaughter to get heat in Canada than get cheers. So naturally, they'd go for what's easier and they'd go for what's more effective.
They were quite a rabid crowd, so they shouldn't have been played like a normal crowd. There was no point having Cena appeal to the crowd like he usually would. So they had a more focused Cena, made it seem like he was only interested in the title shot.
The crowd only wanted Jericho. And the got lots of Jericho. Sure, Jericho turned on his home country, but he's a heel. He's Chris frickin Jericho, he couldn't go a whole show without doing something heel-ish.
Vince doesn't have hard feeling towards Bret, that's silyl and it's so 10 years ago.

Instead many people went to bed or went home Monday Night dissapointed in the product because of the pointless insults.

You honestly think people went home dissappointed, or hell, even finished watching RAW pissed because of a few little insults to Canada? Oh yes, i'm sure that happened. Somehow, I don't think people are that childish. Hell even the kids in the audience owuldnt have gotten upset. Otherwise you'd have mass rioting everytime CM Punk accused the fans of being drug addicts. Thats a far worse insult.

And as far as pointless goes, how was Chris jericho's comment pointless? It got him heat, and semi-stopped the crowd cheering for him over Cena. And it was pretty funny when Jerishow realised the camera was still on.
and Sgt. Slaughter was a heel. Get over it.

This is my first ever thread. But i had some thoughts after watching the latest edition of Raw and wanted to comment about it, and ask for your opinions.

Did any of you notice at all, that the past Raw in Calgary, Canada completely got bashed and not even 1 Canadian wrestler stood up for Canada, on top of that they had Chris Jericho kind of turn on the country, stating he's American.

The first question i have is.. does Vince STILL hold a grudge for Bret? Is he pissed because Bret will not come back to 1 episode of WWE programing?

Being a Canadian, and seeing this past Raw.. i dunno about other Canadians but this turned me off from WWE. WWE made it clear it favors it's American fans, and completely bashes not only the Canadian country but the Canadian fans, in my opinion.

To have Slaughter badmouth the country so bad, and have nobody step in to be "the hero" is just a slap in the face. I didn't see the point. Obviously Slaughter doesn't need heel heat anymore, he's not an active wrestler.

What's your thoughts?

Vince does not hold a grudge against Bret as much as he is making fun of you Canadians for your overly sense of "Patriotism", and this sense you feel that you have to try to compete with the United States. Now, Canadians have argued that the U.S. is just as Patriotic, but it is nowhere near as blind as Canadians, from what I have seen.

And case in point is over something as insignificant as professional wrestling. We are talking about scripted wrestling matches, yet Canadians will cheer any Canadian wrestler, regardless of whether they are face or heel, over an American wrestler. My question is "Why"? Back in the 90's when Bret Hart was a Face, did you see us in American boo Bret Hart simply because he was Canadian, and cheer on his American heel opponent, because he was from America? No.

I can understand if we are competing in the Olympics ... that's fine. We are talking about cheering on your country in a legitimate sport. But we are talking about pro wrestling here, which is 100% scripted.

Here, you guys cheered on a masked wrestler called the "Calgary Kid", who you had not a single clue who he really was since you never saw him before .... but just because he was decked out in Canadian colors, BAM!! Instant babyface in Canada. You guys are so easy to play with, because you do it to yourselves ... and Vince simply has fun with it.

You chant "You Screwed Bret" and "We Want Bret" 12 whole years after the Montreal Incident. Why? Do you see us randomly chant "We Want Hogan" or "We Want Austin" at our events?

You treat Canadian wrestlers like they are some sort of National Hero, when they aren't. What they are, is simply entertainers who just happen to originally be from Canada, or who just happen to live in Canada. This is not the Olympics, here, as stated. Why do you think these guys are heroes?

To further demonstrate my point about "blind Patriotism", remember that incident between Chris Jericho and those groups of fans who surrounded his vehicle at a Canadian House Show? Chris got out of a vehicle, and a fan went up to him and told him "You are a DISGRACE TO CANADIANS!". Now, why is Chris Jericho a "disgrace to Canadians"? Simply because he plays a Heel character who just happens to be from Canada? Psst. Wrestling is a work. Now, if Randy Orton had been in the same situation at an American House Show, do you think our fans would have went up to him and called him a "Disgrace to Americans"? No.

Here is another example of "Blind Patriotism" that I was referring to, right from this very thread.

I am a Canadian too and I am totally behind Alanson, to put our flag on the screen and then to disgrace it the way they did, I'm sorry are they trying to lose their Canadian fanbase, it was totally unnecessary for them to do that, as soon as it happened i was totally disgusted they would do that, hopefully they don't pull the same shit when they have RAW in Toronto, and hopefully they have a better guest host then that old good for nothing son of a bitch they had last monday

Canadians only prove that they are simply huge, and I mean HUGE marks for their country, if they can't even distinguish between a TV show and reality. I just think posts like that are sad.

I don't know what is in the drinking water in Canada, but if you want Vince's taunting of your crowds to stop, then here is my advice to you:

1) Conduct yourselves like any other wrestling crowd.

2) Quit cheering on wrestlers, especially Heels, just because they are from Canada. This includes Edge and Chris Jericho. Quit being Marks for wrestlers just because of where they happen to live or be from.

3) Quit the "We Want Bret" or "You Screwed Bret" chants.

4) Quit this whole idea that you "need to compete with the U.S." with something 100% scripted like Pro Wrestling, where finishes are pre-determined.

Firstly, I am a Canadian wrestling fan.

Secondly, to address the comment about Canadians being marks for their country. I'm pretty sure Americans are bigger marks for their country, both within the context of wrestling and DEFINITELY outside the context of wrestling. I have zero problem with bashing Canada on WWE TV and I am a huge fan of bashing the United States but i agree that there was an excess of pointless Canada bashing on raw. Also, the insults were uncreative and served no real purpose. Go ahead and bash Canada but do it for a reason.

That being said i don't think Vince is taking out any problems with Bret on Canada and I don't even think he still has any real problems with Bret, like it's been over a decade now and they are both over it...
Plus, we've seen Vince create heel characters that bash America ALL THE FUCKING TIME and that to me shows that there's no prejudice at all.

Firstly, I am a Canadian wrestling fan.

Secondly, to address the comment about Canadians being marks for their country. I'm pretty sure Americans are bigger marks for their country, both within the context of wrestling and DEFINITELY outside the context of wrestling. I have zero problem with bashing Canada on WWE TV and I am a huge fan of bashing the United States but i agree that there was an excess of pointless Canada bashing on raw. Also, the insults were uncreative and served no real purpose. Go ahead and bash Canada but do it for a reason.

That being said i don't think Vince is taking out any problems with Bret on Canada and I don't even think he still has any real problems with Bret, like it's been over a decade now and they are both over it...
Plus, we've seen Vince create heel characters that bash America ALL THE FUCKING TIME and that to me shows that there's no prejudice at all.

Inside the context of wrestling ..... absolutely not. You Canadians have us beat by a mile.

Outside the context of wrestling, that may be more of a possibility, as I don't have a good grasp for what the Patriotism is like outside the context of a wrestling arena ... however it is a safe assumption that if this is the way you behave at a wrestling event, it is a logical conclusion that this is the overall feel for the country outside of a wrestling event, as well.

Like I said, when the Calgary Kid came down the aisle on Monday ... instant Canadian babyface. When he won the match .... the entire arena was cheering him on for beating Eugene, after never seeing him before.

I absolutely 100% guarantee you that things are so different as far as wrestling goes in the United States, and I'm sure my fellow American wrestling fans will back me up on this one. If "The American Kid" came down, wearing a mask wearing Red, White, and Blue, and wrestled in an American Arena ... there would probably be dead silence in the arena. The overall mood of the crowd would be like "Who the Fuck are you, and why the Hell are you on Raw?"

Why did the fan in Toronto refer to Chris Jericho specifically as a "Disgrace to Canadians?" If Orton had a scuffle with someone in the United States, you know what we would call him? We would call him an "Asshole!" .... it has absolutely nothing to do with one's country. Why Canadians feel the need to make everything about "country" is beyond me. Again, marks for their country. And everyone knows it in the States, especially Vince. That is why he taunts the Hell out of you guys, and why they even had that backstage segment between Jericho and Big Show before their match to begin with.

I've even had Canadians admit it to me, and say that they don't understand it.

Again, why do Canadian fans cheer on Canadian Heels and boo American faces? We certainly didn't do the same. If someone was a Canadian Face, we aren't going to boo them just because they are Canadian. And we certainly aren't going to cheer their opposition on just because they are from the States.

We boo Chris Jericho and we boo Edge because they are both Heels. We cheer Christian because he is a Face. You see how it works here in the United States?

Canadians also apparently have problems accepting criticism as well, as evidenced in this thread. Perfectly logical and FACTUAL points have been raised in this thread, yet they don't like it when they are called out on it.

I will say this much, though. And I said it before on the forum. Vince should have never done the stuff with Bret Hart. It was stupid and pointless. And it has been done countless times before. I guess the Canadians fall for it every time, though. Although to their credit, there seemed to be less of a response this time, as I had a feeling that a good portion of that audience already knew the routine and that they weren't falling for it. Good for them.

However, to the Canadians that feel Vince is "disgracing their country", will you please grow a set and quit being such a mark. You are only showing that Kayfabe is alive and well up there in Canada, and you are only allowing Vince to work you. It's a Fucking entertainment Television show, for crying out loud.

I like Canadian fan's, the actually get into it. Ps. Hell Lordo Sidicious. How are you?

Doing well, thank you. Hope you are, as well.

i don't agree Americans are just as patriotic. They got nothing to be proud of. Their beer tastes like water, they got no health care, and they can't elect a half decent president.

There was 1 good point made though, Vince has had alot of wrestlers bash the states as well.. so that answers that question. BUT! usually someone would stand up for the country.. not just let it go. That's a huge difference.

i don't agree Americans are just as patriotic. They got nothing to be proud of. Their beer tastes like water, they got no health care, and they can't elect a half decent president.

See what I mean? There is always this sense of "having to compete" with America from Canadians in an attempt to compare their country to ours. Americans just don't feel this need to compete with Canadians or make comparisons between the two countries. Quite frankly, because we just don't care.

But it definitely comes across as many Canadians having an inferiority complex.

Outside the context of wrestling, that may be more of a possibility, as I don't have a good grasp for what the Patriotism is like outside the context of a wrestling arena ... however it is a safe assumption that if this is the way you behave at a wrestling event, it is a logical conclusion that this is the overall feel for the country outside of a wrestling event, as well.

Like I said, when the Calgary Kid came down the aisle on Monday ... instant Canadian babyface. When he won the match .... the entire arena was cheering him on for beating Eugene, after never seeing him before.

I absolutely 100% guarantee you that things are so different as far as wrestling goes in the United States, and I'm sure my fellow American wrestling fans will back me up on this one. If "The American Kid" came down, wearing a mask wearing Red, White, and Blue, and wrestled in an American Arena ... there would probably be dead silence in the arena. The overall mood of the crowd would be like "Who the Fuck are you, and why the Hell are you on Raw?"

Why did the fan in Toronto refer to Chris Jericho specifically as a "Disgrace to Canadians?" If Orton had a scuffle with someone in the United States, you know what we would call him? We would call him an "Asshole!" .... it has absolutely nothing to do with one's country. Why Canadians feel the need to make everything about "country" is beyond me. Again, marks for their country. And everyone knows it in the States, especially Vince. That is why he taunts the Hell out of you guys, and why they even had that backstage segment between Jericho and Big Show before their match to begin with.

I've even had Canadians admit it to me, and say that they don't understand it.

Again, why do Canadian fans cheer on Canadian Heels and boo American faces? We certainly didn't do the same. If someone was a Canadian Face, we aren't going to boo them just because they are Canadian. And we certainly aren't going to cheer their opposition on just because they are from the States.

We boo Chris Jericho and we boo Edge because they are both Heels. We cheer Christian because he is a Face. You see how it works here in the United States?

Canadians also apparently have problems accepting criticism as well, as evidenced in this thread. Perfectly logical and FACTUAL points have been raised in this thread, yet they don't like it when they are called out on it.

I will say this much, though. And I said it before on the forum. Vince should have never done the stuff with Bret Hart. It was stupid and pointless. And it has been done countless times before. I guess the Canadians fall for it every time, though. Although to their credit, there seemed to be less of a response this time, as I had a feeling that a good portion of that audience already knew the routine and that they weren't falling for it. Good for them.

However, to the Canadians that feel Vince is "disgracing their country", will you please grow a set and quit being such a mark. You are only showing that Kayfabe is alive and well up there in Canada, and you are only allowing Vince to work you. It's a Fucking entertainment Television show, for crying out loud.

OK if you even think for a second that Americans are less patriotic or equally as patriotic as Canadians outside of wrestling then you are in a realm that is far beyond stupidity. Americans are for the most part elitists who set themselves above the rest of the world and insult other cultures. USA USA NUMBER ONE NUMBER ONE. Every American is a fucking programmed patriot with a raging boner for Old Glory and the Pledge of Motherfucking Allegiance (that's what i think of your pledge). This is the reason why your country is hated by nearly every other nation in the world. A big problem in Canada in fact is the lack of patriotism do to the multiculturalism of our country and the attachment people may feel to their heritage rather than to Canada. In America that is certainly not the case.

As for you saying that Americans would not cheer a guy dressed in red white and blue colored attire with a mask... i would like to direct you to the character The Patriot and the character Mr America. Whats that you say? Mr America only got cheered because everyone knew it was actually Hulk Hogan? Well how did Hogan get popular? O thats right, he came out to the ring to a song called REAL AMERICAN and fought for the good ol' USA the greatest country in the world. And this American patriotic character propelled wrestling to its greatest popularity and expanded its fan base in the United States by leaps and bounds.

And the reason we cheer all Canadian wrestlers is because the WWE is an American company with mostly American wrestlers. Canadians are a small minority representing a smaller country. It's the same reason why British people will cheer a heel William Regal. They are representatives of our countries in the large American company where American wrestlers are the norm. Common Sense.

OK if you even think for a second that Americans are less patriotic or equally as patriotic as Canadians outside of wrestling then you are in a realm that is far beyond stupidity. Americans are for the most part elitists who set themselves above the rest of the world and insult other cultures.

That may be the impression you get from the Republicans in our country, but the Democrats are actually much different. The Republicans are the ones who are the noisiest members in our society and are the ones who are the Yankee Doodle Dandees in our Rural areas. Rednecks, in other words. However, the rest of the country is most definitely not like that.

Presidential Candidate John McCain was the candidate who ran on the "Country First" platform, and in case you didn't notice, he was not elected. Obviously, the major reason being because that our citizens were not pleased whatsoever with the path our country was going down.

However, it is not the United States that feels this need to compete with Canada. Militarily, your country would be annihilated in a matter of minutes. However, why you feel this need to "compete" with the United States is beyond me. Like I said, it's not like we are talking about an Olympic sport here. We are talking about a scripted product, which makes not a single shred of sense whatsoever.

USA USA NUMBER ONE NUMBER ONE. Every American is a fucking programmed patriot with a raging boner for Old Glory and the Pledge of Motherfucking Allegiance (that's what i think of your pledge).

You have a very false impression of the current state of our country. Like I said, you are talking about the people who represent a very unpopular political party in our country today, who are the Yankee Doodle Dandees. These are also the same people responsible for attempting to kill efforts at a Government-offered Single Payer Healthplan, which is something the Democrats want.

This is the reason why your country is hated by nearly every other nation in the world.

You are talking about the Bush Years. The Bush Years are now over and the Republicans are now out of office. And when Obama was elected, I know the world's sentiment was overwhelming approval ... and that we are more favorably viewed at this point, then under President Bush. However, Bush did so much damage to our nation's image, it will take quite some time to undo.

You are confusing our Government and our country's Leadership, with the American people themselves. President Bush had the Lowest Approval Rating for a Modern Day President in our nation's history. Yes, he was voted in by the American people, however he ran on a completely different platform than what he actually enacted, and therefore duped the public. When 2004 came, we were at a pivotal time of War, and an Osama Bin Laden tape was aired the week before our election. Our people obviously began seeing 9/11 happen all over again, and made a very poor judgment to just narrowly keep Bush in office, because he was viewed as strong on National Security. And that proved to be a bad mistake. Nonetheless, it was a mistake that didn't happen again in this election.

As for you saying that Americans would not cheer a guy dressed in red white and blue colored attire with a mask... i would like to direct you to the character The Patriot and the character Mr America.

Actually, if you noticed in my prior post, I was making reference to "today" .... not decades ago. When was the last time you saw The Patriot? 2007? That was 12 years ago (lol). Times are different now. But if The Patriot came out today, I guarantee you that the reaction would be just as I described.

However, I noticed that The Calgary Kid got a great ovation coming out, after only being seen for the first time .... and he got a huge reaction when he actually won the contract. Interesting, being that he was under a mask, and nobody had ever seen the guy before. I wonder why Canadians cheered him on like that?

As far as Mr. America ... he was cheered for the obvious reason. Everyone knew it was Hulk Hogan.

Whats that you say? Mr America only got cheered because everyone knew it was actually Hulk Hogan?

Yep, that's what I said.
Well how did Hogan get popular? O thats right, he came out to the ring to a song called REAL AMERICAN and fought for the good ol' USA the greatest country in the world. And this American patriotic character propelled wrestling to its greatest popularity and expanded its fan base in the United States by leaps and bounds.

Yep. And Hulk Hogan initially became popular 2 whole decades ago. You think a Yankee Doodle Dandee gimmick would work in the United States in this day and age? Absolutely not.

It certainly didn't work with Lex Luger, when Vince tried that stuff with him back in 1993. And even the Patriot didn't get great reactions when Vince tried it in 1997. That's why he was only around for just a couple of months, instead of actual years.

Patriotic gimmicks still work in Canada in this day and age, however the United States is much less receptive to that kind of stuff in the Present. That's just the way it is. Americans stick up for their country .... however aren't necessarily proud of the things that went on in the Bush years. Canadians, however, are absolute marks for their country ... at least is the impression given during WWE events. Hell, you even view Bret Hart as a National Hero (which in turn, made him view himself as one, too), which I think is a disgrace to people who are actually real national heroes to Canada.

And the reason we cheer all Canadian wrestlers is because the WWE is an American company with mostly American wrestlers. Canadians are a small minority representing a smaller country. It's the same reason why British people will cheer a heel William Regal. They are representatives of our countries in the large American company where American wrestlers are the norm. Common Sense.

The last time I saw Regal appear on Raw in England, he was actually booed by a majority of people. They kind of caught the memo that you are supposed to cheer Faces and boo Heels, and where someone is from doesn't matter. Canadian wrestling fans haven't quite got that memo yet. I guess Shawn Michaels was right when he said in his shoot that Canadian wrestling fans like to live in the past.

Regardless, the problem you guys have is viewing wrestling as a legitimate sport to cheer/boo people based on their hometown. That is absolutely asinine, especially with a scripted form of entertainment. And that is why Vince makes fun of you. That was also why Vince worked the backstage segment in with Jericho on Monday making fun of Canadians for cheering him on, just because he was from Canada.

If you want to know why Vince jabs at you, I am just being honest. If you don't want Vince to keep "insulting" you, then maybe you need to learn to lighten up and quit taking the Patriotic stuff with a scripted form of entertainment so seriously.

Keep telling yourself over and over ... "Wrestling is NOT a sport to compete with other countries over. Wrestling is NOT a sport to compete with other countries over. Wrestling is NOT a sport to compete with other countries over."

That may be the impression you get from the Republicans in our country, but the Democrats are actually much different. The Republicans are the ones who are the noisiest members in our society and are the ones who are the Yankee Doodle Dandees in our Rural areas. Rednecks, in other words. However, the rest of the country is most definitely not like that.

Presidential Candidate John McCain was the candidate who ran on the "Country First" platform, and in case you didn't notice, he was not elected. Obviously, the major reason being because that our citizens were not pleased whatsoever with the path our country was going down.

However, it is not the United States that feels this need to compete with Canada. Militarily, your country would be annihilated in a matter of minutes. However, why you feel this need to "compete" with the United States is beyond me. Like I said, it's not like we are talking about an Olympic sport here. We are talking about a scripted product, which makes not a single shred of sense whatsoever.

You have a very false impression of the current state of our country. Like I said, you are talking about the people who represent a very unpopular political party in our country today, who are the Yankee Doodle Dandees. These are also the same people responsible for attempting to kill efforts at a Government-offered Single Payer Healthplan, which is something the Democrats want.

You are talking about the Bush Years. The Bush Years are now over and the Republicans are now out of office. And when Obama was elected, I know the world's sentiment was overwhelming approval ... and that we are more favorably viewed at this point, then under President Bush. However, Bush did so much damage to our nation's image, it will take quite some time to undo.

You are confusing our Government and our country's Leadership, with the American people themselves. President Bush had the Lowest Approval Rating for a Modern Day President in our nation's history. Yes, he was voted in by the American people, however he ran on a completely different platform than what he actually enacted, and therefore duped the public. When 2004 came, we were at a pivotal time of War, and an Osama Bin Laden tape was aired the week before our election. Our people obviously began seeing 9/11 happen all over again, and made a very poor judgment to just narrowly keep Bush in office, because he was viewed as strong on National Security. And that proved to be a bad mistake. Nonetheless, it was a mistake that didn't happen again in this election.

Actually, if you noticed in my prior post, I was making reference to "today" .... not decades ago. When was the last time you saw The Patriot? 2007? That was 12 years ago (lol). Times are different now. But if The Patriot came out today, I guarantee you that the reaction would be just as I described.

However, I noticed that The Calgary Kid got a great ovation coming out, after only being seen for the first time .... and he got a huge reaction when he actually won the contract. Interesting, being that he was under a mask, and nobody had ever seen the guy before. I wonder why Canadians cheered him on like that?

As far as Mr. America ... he was cheered for the obvious reason. Everyone knew it was Hulk Hogan.

Yep, that's what I said.

Yep. And Hulk Hogan initially became popular 2 whole decades ago. You think a Yankee Doodle Dandee gimmick would work in the United States in this day and age? Absolutely not.

It certainly didn't work with Lex Luger, when Vince tried that stuff with him back in 1993. And even the Patriot didn't get great reactions when Vince tried it in 1997. That's why he was only around for just a couple of months, instead of actual years.

Patriotic gimmicks still work in Canada in this day and age, however the United States is much less receptive to that kind of stuff in the Present. That's just the way it is. Americans stick up for their country .... however aren't necessarily proud of the things that went on in the Bush years. Canadians, however, are absolute marks for their country ... at least is the impression given during WWE events. Hell, you even view Bret Hart as a National Hero (which in turn, made him view himself as one, too), which I think is a disgrace to people who are actually real national heroes to Canada.

The last time I saw Regal appear on Raw in England, he was actually booed by a majority of people. They kind of caught the memo that you are supposed to cheer Faces and boo Heels, and where someone is from doesn't matter. Canadian wrestling fans haven't quite got that memo yet. I guess Shawn Michaels was right when he said in his shoot that Canadian wrestling fans like to live in the past.

Regardless, the problem you guys have is viewing wrestling as a legitimate sport to cheer/boo people based on their hometown. That is absolutely asinine, especially with a scripted form of entertainment. And that is why Vince makes fun of you. That was also why Vince worked the backstage segment in with Jericho on Monday making fun of Canadians for cheering him on, just because he was from Canada.

If you want to know why Vince jabs at you, I am just being honest. If you don't want Vince to keep "insulting" you, then maybe you need to learn to lighten up and quit taking the Patriotic stuff with a scripted form of entertainment so seriously.

Keep telling yourself over and over ... "Wrestling is NOT a sport to compete with other countries over. Wrestling is NOT a sport to compete with other countries over. Wrestling is NOT a sport to compete with other countries over."

I have said that i don't care if Vince insults my country, because he did it to the United Sates with past gimmicks, it's all square, let it go. I just correctly pointed out that the Canada bashing on RAW served no purpose. That's it. I think we actually agree on this.

I'm not sure when RAW was most recently in Britain but at the last RAW i watched in Britain Regal was treated like a hero and was even booked as a babyface, but i dunno. Like i said It an American company, where American wrestlers are the norm and most shows are in America. So if you are form an outside nation and see one of your countrymen in this largely American environment you feel the need to support him. It's the same as the people in India supporting the Great Khali even when he was heel. Hopefully you can now understand the actions of international wrestling fans.

And initially i didn't want to, but now i have to address the military comment that you made about the USA annihilating Canada. This is the typical American argument and i laugh at it every time. It's a little jab at Canada that I can't help but respond to. I don't really want to, but i have to. First of all, if the States tried anything against Canada the nations of the world would have our back. Secondly, it doesn't matter anyways because we don't need to prove things militarily like the United States is so intent on doing (by the way your fictitious war on terror is going quite well, and Vietnam was great too) because we have a statistically have a higher quality of life.

And you can't really say an American patriot babyface gimmick wouldn't work today because it hasn't been tried. If it was tried i believe it would work due to past success but obviously there's nothing i can do to persuade to agree with that.

As for the Bret Hart national hero thing, take that up with the rest of Canada i think I'm the only Canadian who doesn't really care for Hart and think that Vince was in the right. Also, i think you guys down in the States view Hulk Hogan as a pretty big national hero too so...
And you in general worship celebrity much more than we do.

And yes, I'm glad to see that right now there is a push for more liberal policies in the United States but i heard that the Obama approval rating is sliding down, presumably because people are realizing that hes not magic (and people are realizing that he's still black, but that's another story for another day). Deep down i don't think the election had as much to do with American patriotism for their country as it had to do with liberal values and America trying to prove that it is not a racially divided and hateful nation.

I do not wish to discuss this further, the bickering is of little relevance in the grand scheme of things. But if you wish to continue i will do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back