Vince's shoot pot-shot to Canadians: "Bret Hart is NOT a National Hero"- He's right

Ambiguous Turd

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Vince loves to get his pot shots in against Canada whenever he gets a chance, and he got another dig in on them last night on Raw.

Vince told Bret that despite what Bret thinks and despite what the Canadian fans think, Bret Hart is NOT a National Hero. This is exactly one of the things I have gotten on the Canadian fans for, for several years now with this obsessive nationalist mentality of theirs .... and how anyone who apparently is a celebrity is all of a sudden hailed as a "Canadian Hero". And that is clearly because the country and its citizens have an inferiority complex with how they are viewed around the rest of the world and is obsessed with its image in not wanting to be viewed as the stepchild of the United States. I don't know if they think America cares how the country is viewed, but frankly we don't.

However, Vince last night attacked Canada's ass-backwards view of treating celebrities as if they are "Canadian heroes" and it's long time treatment of Bret Hart as a Canadian Hero. This was music to my ears. I couldn't believe when I first heard this back in 1997 that Bret did not want to lose in Montreal because he is regarded as a Canadian Hero. I honestly thought this was Bret's preposterous ego in not wanting to lose the title, but apparently he was correct in that this was the way even Canadian professional wrestlers who sign with a national company are regarded up there.

Shame on the Canadian citizens, I suppose, for treating Bret Hart like an actual "Hero" all this time, and feeding the man's ego all these years. And where it's clear that some of this "hero" stuff is starting to die down, it still is apparent to a degree. Especially when there is an unknown wrestler in a mask called the Calgary Kid, never seen before, but decked out in Canadian colors, who can come down to the ring to a standing ovation in a Canadian arena.

I enjoy Vince's little worked shoots. He did it last week when he blasted the IWC for supposedly knowing what is better for business more so than him, and I guess this was this week's little worked shoot comments.

With that being said, what are your views on Vince's comments towards Bret, as well as the mentality of Canadians in treating Professional wrestlers in a scripted form of entertainment as a "National Hero" compared to those in the Armed Forces, Policemen, Firemen, Doctors, Politicians, etc. ?

With that being said, what are your views on Vince's comments towards Bret, as well as the mentality of Canadians in treating Professional wrestlers in a scripted form of entertainment as a "National Hero" compared to those in the Armed Forces, Policemen, Firemen, Doctors, Politicians, etc. ?

I have a number of Canadian friends and here in Nashville, there are a number of Canadians living here due to their jobs, etc. You are pretty spot on with your narrative on how they treat those that make it "Big" in the US. If they are big in Canada, that's one thing. But when they break out down here, it's on a whole different level and they automatically get elevated to "Hero" status. Atleast it seems that way many times. Now, I hold no ill feelings towards our friends up north, many of which were at the arena last night at RAW cause I saw them from my seats just up from the ring in the lower bowl. But they can get a little, shall we say, "carried away" with things and perspective sometimes. Interesting and thought provoking post!!!:)

I have to agree with you, Bret Hart is NOT a National Hero. Bret's one of the greatest ring techs of all time and as much I like Bret and he's probably one of my favorites wrestlers of all time that's the truth. I don't know what it is with Canadians maybe Canada doen't have any real heros so they find a guy they see worthy of that title. It's not like America is saying Hulk Hogan's a National Hero because here in America were smart enough to know who the real heros are. It can be our parents, teachers, firemen, US Soliders defending our country that's a small example of who real heros are. No disrespect Canada but seriously find a real hero.

Jeez. I cannot disagree with your post more Sidious. I hate when people do the quote dissect method on the forum, so I will just state what I disagree with.

Point number 1:
You state that Canadians are wrong for selecting their own national hero...so who should select the hero for them? It's their perogative to cheer whomever they want. That's why he is a CANADIAN hero, because Canadian citizens have chosen to cheer for him.

Point 2:

You state that you do not think he should be cheered because he isn't in the Armed Forces, Policemen, Firemen, Doctors, Politicians...When is the last time you saw an American give a standing ovation to a doctor? The beauty of having a national hero is that the nationality can select whomever they want to cheer. Are you upset because he is a wrestler? Or a sports entertainer? Baseball players from Japan and the LA countries are treated as gods when they return to their country, because it is something that their countrymen wish to emulate and appluad them for being great at something and internationally recognized.
Is it an inferiority complex among these nations, possibly, but in reality the greatest stage for any form of entertainment be it sports, movies, etc. is America. It has the largest revenue stream of any country in the world. So, when a poor Dominican baseball player returns to the DR, he will be treated as a hero, just like Bret Hart, when he returns to Canada is treated as a hero. It sounds like you have a problem with global economics, not Bret Hart.

Finally, as admirable as it is for you to wish that members of the armed forces would be treated as national heros in the same way as a Bret Hart or David Ortiz, its just not going to happen. There is a reason why ESPN spends 15 hours mourning the death of Chris Henry but does not show caskets returning home daily from the Middle East. Unfortunately, it is the makeup of our country. It is not exclusive to Bret Hart or wrestling. Taking it away from the sports context, Michael Jackson, an entertainer who read from a script and was given about 50 hours of non-stop press coverage after his death. Is it right, I don't know, but it is the way it goes.

So, in conclusion (thank you if you have read this far), the Canadians have chosen to make Bret a hero, global economics have caused us as a people to applaud those who make it on a global market, in a global market economy those who entertain (be it sports or acting) make more than those who serve their country and cure diseases. Therefore, Bret is a national Canadian hero.

I guess it's the fact that so much of the world (especially Americans) doesn't take Canada seriously. When someone home grown (and it's not just wrestling, look at Nickelback) makes it big, the country rallies behind them and goes "yeah, that guy you're cheering, his merch you've got on...he's one of us...nyaa nyaa!" The Japanese also highly regard internationally famous native wrestlers (hell, Inoki was made a member of the Japanese House of Councillors) and treat them as national heroes as well.

Vince loves to get his pot shots in against Canada whenever he gets a chance, and he got another dig in on them last night on Raw.

Yay, let's hate on those Canadians! Maple Syrup! Hockey!

Vince told Bret that despite what Bret thinks and despite what the Canadian fans think, Bret Hart is NOT a National Hero. This is exactly one of the things I have gotten on the Canadian fans for, for several years now with this obsessive nationalist mentality of theirs .... and how anyone who apparently is a celebrity is all of a sudden hailed as a "Canadian Hero". And that is clearly because the country and its citizens have an inferiority complex with how they are viewed around the rest of the world and is obsessed with its image in not wanting to be viewed as the stepchild of the United States. I don't know if they think America cares how the country is viewed, but frankly we don't.

Yeah, how in the fuck do they dare to have any national pride? It's almost like how we sensationalize every celebrity and treat Brad Pitt like he's American Royalty. They can't do what we do! Amurica!

However, Vince last night attacked Canada's ass-backwards view of treating celebrities as if they are "Canadian heroes" and it's long time treatment of Bret Hart as a Canadian Hero. This was music to my ears. I couldn't believe when I first heard this back in 1997 that Bret did not want to lose in Montreal because he is regarded as a Canadian Hero. I honestly thought this was Bret's preposterous ego in not wanting to lose the title, but apparently he was correct in that this was the way even Canadian professional wrestlers who sign with a national company are regarded up there.

:hogan:

How is (or perhaps more accurately, was) our treatment of Hogan any different? He was the American Immortal. He held the title for how fucking long? He had a restaurant, comic book, and he was telling children to "Eat their vitamins and say their prayers"...and they fucking listened to him. Explain to me how Hulkamania is any different from Canadians loving Bret Hart, and you'll have a point.

Shame on the Canadian citizens, I suppose, for treating Bret Hart like an actual "Hero" all this time, and feeding the man's ego all these years. And where it's clear that some of this "hero" stuff is starting to die down, it still is apparent to a degree. Especially when there is an unknown wrestler in a mask called the Calgary Kid, never seen before, but decked out in Canadian colors, who can come down to the ring to a standing ovation in a Canadian arena.

And Hacksaw Jim Duggan still gets a massive pop when he comes running with that 2x4 and that American Flag waving. What's your point?
I enjoy Vince's little worked shoots. He did it last week when he blasted the IWC for supposedly knowing what is better for business more so than him, and I guess this was this week's little worked shoot comments.

Yeah, how dare they question a multi-millionaire businessman.

I've explained it above. If the Bret Hart is any different from the treatment of Hulk Hogan, or Brad Pitt, or any other Hollywood Celebrity, then please explain it to me.

I have to agree with you, Bret Hart is NOT a National Hero. Bret's one of the greatest ring techs of all time and as much I like Bret and he's probably one of my favorites wrestlers of all time that's the truth. I don't know what it is with Canadians maybe Canada doen't have any real heros so they find a guy they see worthy of that title. It's not like America is saying Hulk Hogan's a National Hero because here in America were smart enough to know who the real heros are. It can be our parents, teachers, firemen, US Soliders defending our country that's a small example of who real heros are. No disrespect Canada but seriously find a real hero.

I am a real American, Fight for the rights of every man,
I am a real American, fight for what's right, fight for your life!

When it comes crashing down, and it hurts inside,
ya' gotta take a stand, it don't help to hide,
Well, you hurt my friends, and you hurt my pride,
I gotta be a man; I can't let it slide,

I feel strong about right and wrong,
And I don't take trouble for very long,
I got something deep inside of me, and courage is the thing that keeps us free,

Then 70,000+ fans in the day wet themselves and cry their little tears. This is a ridiculous post because what defines a hero is relative. Some idiots think blowing themselves up will make them a national hero and in their backward village, it does.

Rayzor already went into detail. But trying to stick on topic -WRESTLING- without Canadians, WWE would be a dull place. Actually, it is a dull place wit or without canucks. My bad.

So, I don't really understand this thread here. You guys are saying that Bret Hart is not a Canadian hero and that you agree with Vince, but yet all three of you of American? Um, how the hell would you know who our national hero is and why do you guys care who we give that title too? Apparently, it's not OK for Canadians to support their own kind? I really don't think any of your opinions matter in a subject like this. If Canadians want to adopt Bret Hart as their national hero, we will and I don't really see how this affects you guys.

Funny you bring up how we gave the Calgary Kid a standing ovation and you mock us for that. I think I can give a couple of examples of Americans reacting the same way:

1) The Patriot. A whole character built on American patriotism. The Calgary Kid was a one time thing to get Miz back on RAW, but you had a full out gimmick and the audience ate him up.

2) Hulk Hogan as Mr. America. Hogan is the most popular wrestler ever and he'll get a pop no matter what, but let's deck him out in American colours and call him Mr. America and I'm sure the fans will love it. Yep, they did. He got a massive pop.

3) Hacksaw Jim Duggan. What's makes Duggan appealing to fans? His ring work? His mic skills? His physique? No, he brings an American flag to the ring and the crowd goes nuts. He even starts a USA chant with the crowd and they follow suit.

But ya, shame on us for cheering for someone from our own backyard. I mean it's not like Americans love to see patriotism either. Give me a break.

If I may give a point of view from England. We are guilty of this as well, footballers, actors, singers etc are all to often regarded as 'heroes'.

I think the majority of people put it into perspective though, there is a growing charity over here called 'help for heroes' which looks after ex-service men and women.

Of course these people and doctors etc are the real heroes but I don't think refering to Sports stars and celebrities in this manner is the worst thing.

Many main stream stars do help and inspire people even without knowing it, and many of them (Bret included) do a lot of work for charities etc so good luck to them.

So, I don't really understand this thread here. You guys are saying that Bret Hart is not a Canadian hero and that you agree with Vince, but yet all three of you of American? Um, how the hell would you know who our national hero is and why do you guys care who we give that title too? Apparently, it's not OK for Canadians to support their own kind? I really don't think any of your opinions matter in a subject like this. If Canadians want to adopt Bret Hart as their national hero, we will and I don't really see how this affects you guys.

Funny you bring up how we gave the Calgary Kid a standing ovation and you mock us for that. I think I can give a couple of examples of Americans reacting the same way:

1) The Patriot. A whole character built on American patriotism. The Calgary Kid was a one time thing to get Miz back on RAW, but you had a full out gimmick and the audience ate him up.

2) Hulk Hogan as Mr. America. Hogan is the most popular wrestler ever and he'll get a pop no matter what, but let's deck him out in American colours and call him Mr. America and I'm sure the fans will love it. Yep, they did. He got a massive pop.

3) Hacksaw Jim Duggan. What's makes Duggan appealing to fans? His ring work? His mic skills? His physique? No, he brings an American flag to the ring and the crowd goes nuts. He even starts a USA chant with the crowd and they follow suit.

But ya, shame on us for cheering for someone from our own backyard. I mean it's not like Americans love to see patriotism either. Give me a break.

Um, yeah. This has been tried before, and it has failed every time. Let's go through your examples.

Something that happened back in what ... 1998? 12 years ago?

Personally, I agree that cheering The Patriot on was ridiculous. However, the difference is that was 12 years ago, you cheered The Calgary Kid to a standing ovation just the very first time you saw him .... last year.

When The Patriot debuted, I don't think he got quite the ovation "The Calgary Kid" got compared to his first time. :rolleyes:

Yep. Now you don't think the reason he was cheered so much was because everyone knew it was Hulk Hogan, do you? Nah. Couldn't be. :rolleyes:

Hacksaw Jim Duggan was cheered back in the day for his patriotism, true. He is cheered in the modern day because of his legend status, whenever he does appear, which is pretty much not anymore anyway.

Canada gave a complete unknown a standing ovation last year, just because he was called The Calgary Kid and decked out in Canadian colors. There is no disputing that. That is the epitome example of being the Nationalists with the huge inferiority complex that you have ... are.

As far as you stating we have no right to ridicule you for who you assign to be your heroes ... well that is not entirely true. We have every right to criticize you for your decisions and culture just like you have every reason to criticize America for it's decisions and culture, too.

You have to learn to take criticism, because you aren't going to stop it from happening. So it's no sense having a temper tantrum over it, because you come across even more like a whiner.

To compare Bret Hart to a National Hero, someone who is an athlete who participated in a scripted form of entertainment with pre-determined outcomes ... and comparing him to real heroes who put their lives on the line for their country, or who saves lives of their countrymen .... just because Bret happens to be a celebrity and happened to give you some recognition ... is one of the most egotistical things ever. You praise him as a "Hero" because he's a celebrity from Canada just so you can feed your own ego because the name "Canada" is mentioned when Bret Hart appears.

Disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Comparing Bret Hart and putting him in the same category as someone who risks their life on a daily basis for their country. That is a real Hero, sir.

Yeah, um....

You're not Canadian, so you don't know who our national heroes are. You Americans would worship guys like Hulk Hogan, Sgt. Slaughter, and Hacksaw Jim Duggan back in the day, and no one said anything. But if one of our guys makes a name for himself in America, we're biased and exaggerating. Yeah, no hypocrisy there.

How about you guys just let us have our Bret Harts and Chris Jerichos and Edges and Christians, and you guys can keep your Hogans and Angles and the like, OK?

Edit: Who said our armed forces and our wrestlers can't both be national heroes? We're not saying we don't consider our soldiers as such, we do. I just don't get why we can't do the same for Bret Hart.

Um, yeah. This has been tried before, and it has failed every time. Let's go through your examples.

Something that happened back in what ... 1998? 12 years ago?

Personally, I agree that cheering The Patriot on was ridiculous. However, the difference is that was 12 years ago, you cheered The Calgary Kid to a standing ovation just the very first time you saw him .... last year.

When The Patriot debuted, I don't think he got quite the ovation "The Calgary Kid" got compared to his first time. :rolleyes:

Yep. Now you don't think the reason he was cheered so much was because everyone knew it was Hulk Hogan, do you? Nah. Couldn't be. :rolleyes:

Hacksaw Jim Duggan was cheered back in the day for his patriotism, true. He is cheered in the modern day because of his legend status, whenever he does appear, which is pretty much not anymore anyway.

Canada gave a complete unknown a standing ovation last year, just because he was called The Calgary Kid and decked out in Canadian colors. There is no disputing that. That is the epitome example of being the Nationalists with the huge inferiority complex that you have ... are.

As far as you stating we have no right to ridicule you for who you assign to be your heroes ... well that is not entirely true. We have every right to criticize you for your decisions and culture just like you have every reason to criticize America for it's decisions and culture, too.

You have to learn to take criticism, because you aren't going to stop it from happening. So it's no sense having a temper tantrum over it, because you come across even more like a whiner.

To compare Bret Hart to a National Hero, someone who is an athlete who participated in a scripted form of entertainment with pre-determined outcomes ... and comparing him to real heroes who put their lives on the line for their country, or who saves lives of their countrymen .... just because Bret happens to be a celebrity and happened to give you some recognition ... is one of the most egotistical things ever. You praise him as a "Hero" because he's a celebrity from Canada just so you can feed your own ego because the name "Canada" is mentioned when Bret Hart appears.

Disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Comparing Bret Hart and putting him in the same category as someone who risks their life on a daily basis for their country. That is a real Hero, sir.

I really don't appreciate you putting words in my mouth, Sidious. I came into this thread and responded to your topic so I expect some semblance of respect from a mod on these forums. If you can find where in my post I said that Bret Hart is our only national hero and screw anyone else, please point that out. You may have a hard time.

You don't know anything about our nation, our culture, or our beliefs to come in here and state something you have no knowledge of. You think we appreciate only wrestlers?

Terry Fox. Arguably one of our greatest heroes. We honour him every year with the Terry Fox run to commemorate what he did in his life.

Have you ever watched Hockey Night in Canada, specifically Coach's Corner? I don't think so. After every episode, Don Cherry sits there and they run a slideshow of fallen soldiers and he sits there and holds back tears as he mentions who they are and recognizes them for their ultimate sacrifice.

So don't you sit there and belittle our country for holding Bret Hart as a hero and thinking that we have no respect for people who sacrifice their life for us. This isn't about taking criticism because I can take it, this is about you running your mouth on a subject you have no idea about. Respectfully of course.

Bret Hart isn't a National Hero. He is well respected in Canada but outside of Alberta there is nothing named after him. Terry Fox is a national hero not Bret Hart. If you don't now who Terry Fox is google him. I am sure Canadians hold him in high respect for being a patriotic Canadian throughout his wrestling career but we don't have Bret Hart Day here.

WOW! I'm absolutely bamboozled by the thought of an American trying to prove to Canadians (myself one) is not a national hero. PATHETIC. Other members have mentioned the obvious, Hulk, The Patriot, Hacksaw..etc. I don't need to cover any more on that. The Miz as the Calgary Kid was a pop for that local crowd, not an entire nation so that one-time thing should not even be debated in here.

Bret is a 5X Champion in the WWE before the IWC was around and people could discuss storylines and scripts for every show, so when Bret won obviously people thought it was legitimate he did win the title. Bret just might be the best wrestler ever to come out of Canada. For all Canadian fans, he is a hero and an idol for them to look up to. Maybe if you were Canadian yourself I'd be a little bit nicer but it always sickens me when I see America and/or it's citizens trying to make a point to undermine Canada/Canadians. Your argument has no merit whatsoever.

"Hacksaw Jim Duggan was cheered back in the day for his patriotism, true. He is cheered in the modern day because of his legend status, whenever he does appear, which is pretty much not anymore anyway."

Yah Jim Duggan is such a legend!

I mean he did win the 1988 Royal Rumble!
Or he was WCW TV and US Champion.

That's merit to be considered a legend!

It's great that Sidious accuses Canadians of calling Bret Hart a hero and then he calls Jim Duggan a lifetime midcarder a "LEGEND"

Have you ever watched Hockey Night in Canada, specifically Coach's Corner? I don't think so. After every episode, Don Cherry sits there and they run a slideshow of fallen soldiers and he sits there and holds back tears as he mentions who they are and recognizes them for their ultimate sacrifice.

So don't you sit there and belittle our country for holding Bret Hart as a hero and thinking that we have no respect for people who sacrifice their life for us. This isn't about taking criticism because I can take it, this is about you running your mouth on a subject you have no idea about. Respectfully of course.

I'm a hockey fan here in Nashville and trust me, I've been to games in Canada and had the insults slung my way about having a team in "Nash-Vul". I've seen Don Cherry and his pals on HNIC get on there and do his thing and that's all well and good. But when I see Canadian Young Adults, and more specifically, Montreal, Canadians get on CBC and basically say that America "deserved what it got" on 9-11 just a mere two days after the attacks, I'm sorry. You don't gain any brownie points with me there. Bret Hart is a damn good wrestler and I have alot of respect for him. But he is not a "National Hero" by definition at all and really shouldn't be treated as such. I don't think anyone on here has said that Hulk was an "American Hero" yet. If I remember correctly, around the time he was popular it was GI Joe's that were the "Real American Hero's". LOL!!!

Like I said, I have friends who live in Canada and friends here in Nashville who are from Canada and I love them to death, but their love for their country and disdain for Americans can sometimes be disgusting to me. It doesn't happen all the time, just on occasions it wells up.

Wasn't the Calgary Kid pop partly due to the fact that people thought they were about to see Lance Storm? He was wearing red trunks similar to the ones Storm wore through his run and being from Calgary was a huge part of Storm's gimmick. Not that Lance Storm is that huge of a deal, but he is a retired alumni from Calgary and would have gotten some pop.

As for Bret Hart, I'm not sure you understand his national hero status completely. See, the thing about Bret Hart as a national hero is: he isn't one. It's not like he's talked about at all outside of wrestling circles. Just like I'm sure Hogan isn't really talked about in the US (other than on VH1 and TMZ).

When he did the pro-Canada gimmick back in 97, people got behind him, sure, but no more than American fans got behind the Patriot. And hey, it's not like we were threatening to assinate the pro-American wrestlers at the Canadian Stampede, unlike the American fans who were sending Sgt Slaughter death threats in 91.

I know the WWE likes to play off the Canadian opinion of wrestlers as just blind nationalistic pride, and say that the whole counrty is Bizarroland, but in my experience our reactions have more to do with a certain wrestling style. The cheers Canadian fans give people like Hart, Benoit, and Jericho are also extended to non-Canadian technical wrestlers like Guerrero, Regal, and Finlay.

But yeah, Bret Hart isn't a national hero and there are very few Canadians outside of young or nostalgiac wrestling fans that would argue he is.

It seems like everyone is arguing about different things here.
What do you mean, exactly, by "national hero"?

Canadians, you argue that we view Hogan the same way. I assure you that while he has an "American Hero" gimmick, he is NOT viewed by non-wrestling fans as anything but a reality show star. He is certainly in no way viewed as an American Hero to the masses. Wrestling fans see him as a legend, I don't know anyone who views him as any kind of representative of our country.

Americans, I can partially see where you're coming from but... what proof do you have that Hart is seen as a Canadian Hero outside of wrestling fans? I mean sure, you see the fans on TV and they worship him, but that seems really silly to use that as a gauge for the entire country.

I will say however, that I have noticed over the years that countries do seem to sensationalize their celebrities far more than we do. I mean, maybe it's because we have so many, but people here.... yeah our celebrities have status... I mean that's why they're CELEBRITIES right? But to the masses, we love 'em or hate 'em, take 'em or leave 'em. We in NO WAY view them as any kind of representative of America or the American way. I really haven't paid attention to Canada or the UK, but I can say that Australia is like how you describe. My fiance is Australian, I know many Australians, I've been to Australia several times and I see where you're coming from. They make these so-and-so people into national icons, then make fun of us Americans for being "overly-patriotic", they somehow have this stereotype about us that we drive around in pickup-trucks covered in American flags and gun racks. It's all very weird to me.

I came into this thread and responded to your topic so I expect some semblance of respect from a mod on these forums.

HA, you can expect it until your ass bleeds, it'll never happen though.

Fuck america! like americans know who is a "hero" and who isn't. 9/11 happened because you bombed the middle east for nigh on 20 years. they bombed you back. big deal!!!

Now on to wrestling, bret is a national hero. Why? The canadian people made him one. last i checked it was up to them. not some bacward americans.

Wasn't the Calgary Kid pop partly due to the fact that people thought they were about to see Lance Storm? He was wearing red trunks similar to the ones Storm wore through his run and being from Calgary was a huge part of Storm's gimmick. Not that Lance Storm is that huge of a deal, but he is a retired alumni from Calgary and would have gotten some pop.

As for Bret Hart, I'm not sure you understand his national hero status completely. See, the thing about Bret Hart as a national hero is: he isn't one. It's not like he's talked about at all outside of wrestling circles. Just like I'm sure Hogan isn't really talked about in the US (other than on VH1 and TMZ).

When he did the pro-Canada gimmick back in 97, people got behind him, sure, but no more than American fans got behind the Patriot. And hey, it's not like we were threatening to assinate the pro-American wrestlers at the Canadian Stampede, unlike the American fans who were sending Sgt Slaughter death threats in 91.

I know the WWE likes to play off the Canadian opinion of wrestlers as just blind nationalistic pride, and say that the whole counrty is Bizarroland, but in my experience our reactions have more to do with a certain wrestling style. The cheers Canadian fans give people like Hart, Benoit, and Jericho are also extended to non-Canadian technical wrestlers like Guerrero, Regal, and Finlay.

But yeah, Bret Hart isn't a national hero and there are very few Canadians outside of young or nostalgiac wrestling fans that would argue he is.

Depends on your definition of a hero. I would assume that a lot of young wrestlers trying to break into the business would regard Hart as a hero. Just as they would someone like Edge or Benoit.

He is not a nationally regarded hero by any means.

Sidious do you just watch wrestling and wait to badmouth Canadians, didn't you write this same thing a month ago on a Montreal screwjob thread.

Now I can't defend Bret not being a national hero (to most canadians he's not but then again he was ranked #39 for all time greatest canadian so you saying he's a national hero definitely has merit, I'll admit) because to a small fraction of canadians he is (I'm not one of them, but they certainly exist). To most canadians though, Bret Hart is a guy who is barely even mentioned with the people that are the "Real" national heroes of canada, let alone I haven't heard shit about bret hart in 9 years (and I live in Calgary for christ sake, if Bret isn't newsworthy in his own hometown, I really doubt he is in other parts of canada). He's really not this god-like hero you make him out to be in Canada.

With that said I'm sure there is a small fraction of Americans who think Hulk Hogan is an American hero, or even Hacksaw Jim Duggan is an american hero (certainly most Americans don't think that, but they do exist out there), it really all depends on who you ask.

I don't really see the big deal here, I don't know why it bothers you so much, besides Canadians actually have to I don't know CARE about america in order to have an inferiorty complex against them. We really don't have that issue here man so you really need to get over it, let the Canadians do what they want and not let it bother you so much. So what if some canadians see bret as a national hero, it really doesn't matter in the long run, stop acting so high and mighty dude.

this thread is ridiculous... what defines a hero to you?? Let's see was Bret someone kids can look up to? yes, did he motivate ppl to they themselves be better, yes, so how is he not a hero? He did this as both bret hart the person and bret hart the character. So what if it was through wrestling, I remember a scene on the Hulk Hogan dvd where a young man came up to Hulk and told him watching him and having hulk as his hero is what kept him out of gangs etc. did hulk hogan not deserve the hero title for that? John Cena is the number one make a wish celebrity, does the way he make those kids feel not make him a hero? You have a very high view of what a hero should be, a hero can be an everyday person, it can be found in the unlikeliest of places like a wrestling match, it just matters the effect they have on people. Bret Hart did all those things for Canadians and for one of their own to be a celebrity in the biggest market in the world is no small feat, and yes bret was a celebrity headlining pay per views and one of the biggest shows on cable, not to mention guest spots on shows like the Simpsons etc. Aside from the personal influences he had on people he was also a source of national pride for Canadians and I don't blame them one bit. Like i said this thread is ridiculous and an insult to anyone who had looked up to these guys at one point or another

I'm sorry, but I gotta side with the Canadians on this topic, what's so bad about Bret being hailed as a hero in his homeland? &, while I know it was part of the script, who the hell is Vince McMahon 2 say who's a hero wherever? IMO, this is a matter of fans, or shall I say Marks, getting caught up in the hype, which is Y wrestling fans remind me of the rap fans of 2day, one idiot says something & muthaf*ckas think it's true without even questioning what was said. in conclusion, I blame South Park 4 all of this anti-Canada mumbo jumbo. if U think about it, the majority of "heroes" in THIS country consists of killers, gangsters & a bunch of other shady individuals, but y'all wanna sh!t on "the hat" of the United States 4 viewing a wrestler as their national hero.

GET OVER URSELF AMERIKKKA!!!!!

As an American and a New Yorker I dont understand how someone can decide who a country's national hero can and can't be. A lot of people here might not like Mel Gibson but in Australia he might be considered a national hero. Who am I to tell them its wrong to cheer him?

As for the Calgary Kid getting a pop from the crowd, its no different then Mick Foley saying a hometowns name and receiving a pop from them. The show was in calgary, they cheered the Calgary Kid.

And how do we know here in America how Canadians view and treat people in the Armed Service. I know very little about Canada's Armed Forces and what they have done. I also have not taken time to read and research anything they have done or how they are treated, therefor I have no right to comment on it.

And as for the ignorent idiot that made that comment about Americans deserving what they got in the 9-11 attacks. Get a damn clue. You come here to my town and tell the victims families that they deserved what they got because of decisions our government made. Your pathetic and you make me sick.

If I lived next to an obnoxious neighbor that always wanted help with the fights he got into, always sent people into my medicine cabinet because my pills are cheaper, and spent the rest of his time talking mad shit to or about me, I'd probably be fiercely defensive of my pride and my home too.

Amercia: We're kind of a douche. We can get all "Be a patriot! Love your country!", write songs about sticking boots up terrorist ass, but we'll be damned if we let those maple syrup lovers to the north have any nationalist sentiment. Often, we don't realize that we are just as fucked as any other country, in our own ways. This is why we can laugh about each other.

What makes a hero is up the to person looking up to them. A hero inspires, a hero encourages. A hero sets an example; a precedent. A hero can be found anywhere there is hope. There is NO "right" and "wrong" hero. Whether you feel the same or not, no person can say which heroes are legitimate and which ones aren't. Stop trying to be an ass about it.

Personally, my heroes don't use guns or bombs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back