• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Zack Ryder

Zack's great for comic relief. WWE has been over saturated with Santino comedy but Zack is a breath of fresh air.

He's the closest thing to the 'cartoonish' characters the WWE used to have in the late 80's - early 90's. Instead of the FCW formula of what a WWE star should look like along with many veterans looking/acting the same, Zack is taking the Jersey Shore comedy approach.

I love it. He could be a jobber like Santino was for a bit but people would still really enjoy it. I'm still hoping he'll get some kind of 'interview' show on RAW. That too would be a nice break from the standard segments 'face or heel talks in the ring only to be interrupted by their opponent.'

Well first, he has the best wrestling show of the week, which is on YouTube, the Z! True Long Island Story, He is funny, has great mic skills, and can wrestle circles around about 50% - 75& of the locker room.

Anyone can beat anyone in todays wrestling because almost every single person on the roster is jobber quality.

The only unbeatable people are Cena and Orton. Thats it(since HHH/Taker are dead). Zack Ryder could beat 99% of the roster. But so could evan bourne or yoshi tatsu. People like ziggler, morrison, kofi etc are just as terrible as those guys. The entire roster sucks and everyone of them is just as bland as the next guy. I cant ever recall any of these people talking. Raw/Smackdown are 1-2 person shows. They only have 1 storyline running at a time.

Zack Ryder will get his push the next time a wrestler gets injured and he will replace "cookie cutter superstar 90".

I'd say 99% of the reaction towards him is a result of his very popular (and rightful so, because it's really funny) youtube show. I think he's got an okay look, an average/below average gimmick, and decent in-ring skill. His charisma has taken that to the next level via youtube.

I wouldn't mind him getting an experimental push, but I do question if the humor and staying power of his character would translate to a live audience when it's not just being used via youtube.

My friend, not everyone has gotten behind Zack only because of the youtube videos. I have been a Broski since he debuted on ECW with his current gimmick. I just wanted to point that out. His youtube videos have only made me realize how much more talented he is. Zack Ryder is awesome.

Alright......now after reading all of these replies to this topic, (and I do thank you all for giving me your opinion) I will say that Zack does have some altheticism. He does seem as if he has a lot of potential. And you know what, I wouldn't mind seeing him come back with like a new gimmick. But honestly, I just don't like the gimmick. If he gets rid of the gimmick, then ok yes. Not saying he has to turn face, but just get rid of the gimmick. I would also want to see him thrown in title hunt for U.S/IC championship.

But I think that the reason why he got that gimmick, was so that he could come back unrecgonizable from La Familia.

Well to me hes just something new that we could use on the shows. I'm not a huge fan of his but I do think that they've had him there long enough to give him a sufficient push or to grant him his release from the company.

So he's a wrestling personality making an impact by NOT wrestling? Hmm

Thats just because they don't LET him wrestle :shrug:

When he rarely does get the chance to wrestle he displays great athleticism and skill in the ring

My friend, not everyone has gotten behind Zack only because of the youtube videos. I have been a Broski since he debuted on ECW with his current gimmick. I just wanted to point that out. His youtube videos have only made me realize how much more talented he is. Zack Ryder is awesome.

Same here

Btw did Zack come up with the word Broski too or was that a pre-established word that he took and ran with?

WWWYKI :cool:

Thats just because they don't LET him wrestle :shrug:

When he rarely does get the chance to wrestle he displays great athleticism and skill in the ring

My point is, he's getting thousands of views and fans from his online videos alone in which he doesn't wrestle, so why is everyone getting their panties in a bunch because he's not on tv, seeing as he is still getting exposure outside of the WWE?

I just can't see the same Zack Ryder that his fans see. Capable in the ring, but that's it.

As I've said before, just because someone is the star of their own show where it's essentially them talking to a camera for the most part, I don't see the instant connection between that and then being able to work from a script under someone else's direction and them being successful at it.

Ryder had a match on Raw with the IC Champ, and he's adding new moves to moveset. I for one can't wait to see him start landing the Fist Pump Elbow/Leg Drop.

All he needs is time on Raw and he'll be able to get over.

Hell pairing him up with Ziggler and Vicki could be a step in the right direction. We've all heard the rumors about managers, and there are a few other stables currently active, so why not pair up Ryder and Hawk again, and have Vicki manage them along with Ziggler. She's better at getting heat than most of the current heels excluding the Miz, Punk and Truth. Vicki could manage the group, Ryder and Hawk could make a run for Tag gold, and Ziggler could continue on is IC run until he gets back into the WWE Title picture.

I, for one, have been a Zack Ryder fan since his WWECW days. Those were well before his youtube show. His gimmick is hilarious, I loved the goofy tights (sadly he doesnt have them anymore), his mannerisms, his catchphrases, he's fairly good in the ring... and you can just tell he LOVES his gimmick and pours himself into it. I love everything about him.

I feel like anyone who doesn't like Zack Ryder just doesn't get it. They're either casuals and/or marks who think that if someone isn't prominent they automatically suck, OR they are ultra-smarks who think wrestling should be super serious and that theres no room for flamboyant and goofy characters. The latter are worse in my opinion; They hate him because they can't take him seriously. Uh, hello? He's OBVIOUSLY not meant to be taken seriously.

The guy needs a push bad, but not your typical push. He needs the "lovable loser" type push. He'll put on great matches and do amazing.. only to lose and in a hilarious fashion that is 100% his fault. Personally I'd find it hilarious.

Stone Cold Steve Austin WWE Legend and Hall of Famer posted this on his Twitter after last nights RAW...

"Had a chat with the one and only @ZackRyder last night...what a broski...a damn good kid with a bright future...woo woo woo..."

All I can say is...WWYKI! Hop onto the Ryder band wagon because the take care kid is here to take over!

What are you thoughts on SCSA's comments about Zack Ryder? and what can we expect as a result of this?

i looked at his videos and they arent really impressive. ive watched him wrestle and im not pleased. ive listened to him on the mic, he is on par with miz (he sucks). funny?? i think not. charismatic? not really. i truly hope that zack ryder never gets a push, i hope he gets layed off.

Stone Cold Steve Austin WWE Legend and Hall of Famer posted this on his Twitter after last nights RAW...

"Had a chat with the one and only @ZackRyder last night...what a broski...a damn good kid with a bright future...woo woo woo..."

All I can say is...WWYKI! Hop onto the Ryder band wagon because the take care kid is here to take over!

What are you thoughts on SCSA's comments about Zack Ryder? and what can we expect as a result of this?

You forgot a W. There's three "woo's" ;)

SCSA would know better than us, that being said nothing I saw last night made me personally believe anymore in Ryder than I've already said. He still looked like he did in ECW in terms of in ring work, though I think he might have gotten bigger physically. He looked thicker (in the good way) than I remember him being. Do I still think he gets a push eventually? I hope so but I hope everyone gets their shot, and he appears to have a lot of things working to his advantage at this moment (Cena, SCSA in his corner backstage, and Vicki and DZ on screen), but one week does not a push make. if Ryder and Ziggles do actually become a thing, it will be the best exposure Ryder has ever had as a singles competitor and hopefully he can capture the moment.

I feel like anyone who doesn't like Zack Ryder just doesn't get it. They're either casuals and/or marks who think that if someone isn't prominent they automatically suck, OR they are ultra-smarks who think wrestling should be super serious and that theres no room for flamboyant and goofy characters. The latter are worse in my opinion; They hate him because they can't take him seriously. Uh, hello? He's OBVIOUSLY not meant to be taken seriously.

The guy needs a push bad, but not your typical push. He needs the "lovable loser" type push. He'll put on great matches and do amazing.. only to lose and in a hilarious fashion that is 100% his fault. Personally I'd find it hilarious.

Well if he's not meant to be taken seriously, then he's not meant to be in the main event of Raw because he will get eaten alive by Cena. And if he's not meant to be taken seriously, he gets swallowed up by Kofi Kingston in the midcard. That puts him back down to Santino's level where he wouldn't win because Santino and his stupid cobra poke of doom is over. And since he can't beat Santino....well looky there....he's exactly in the position he's in right now: off TV and in backstage segments....

If you want him to get a push into the main event he can't be a goofball. He can't be taken seriously as he is right now in the main event of anything. You can only have it one way or the other. Perfect Example: The Miz. When he debuted against Tatanka he was a strutting, mouthy, basket case. He shed the stupid gimmick, he shed the stupid mannerisms and eventually has made his way into the main event scene of Raw. Ryder can't do that right now as he is constructed.

If you're saying you want him to remain at best a curtain jerker or jobber to the jobber of the stars: yeah, he can keep doing exactly what he's doing.

You're saying Ryder needs to go out and lose every week by self destructing.....uh.....right. The big issue with your idea of a loveable loser with the way his gimmick is constructed. He can't be a loveable loser because his gimmick is that of an arrogant loud mouth. Why would people even remotely care about someone that costs themselves matches over and over again? The closest example I can think of that comes close to what you're suggesting was Chavo vs. Hornswoggle, and it did nothing to endear Chavo to the regular consumer of WWE.

People will laugh at Ryder for all the wrong reasons. Losing streaks have to be used carefully because if you do it wrong you will destroy the talent, or stop any momentum they have ever gained (See: Jack Swagger for his entire WWE career).

If you want Ryder to go anywhere anytime soon, Ziggler is his ticket out of the back and into the midcard. But I think its got to go down in a similar way to Riley/Miz (not exactly that way, but something similar). Ryder as the protege/tag along with Vicki and DZ gets him more ring time, more exposure it can allow him to slowly strip away some of the goofiness of the "Long Island Loud Mouth"/Z True L.I. Story gimmick and make him into a credible mid card threat for the U.S. Title.

I think he's definitely going to be getting a push soon for two main reasons and not because he's a good wrestler:

1) His Long Island show is starting to get some media attention. Him doing this show has saved him big time. This man knows the business. In WWE, it's not about how well you suplex a person, it's about how much attention you can draw especially media wise.

2) Stone Cold and even Cena are high on him. Now he has Dolph and Vicki's support.

This dude is on the right track!

I just can't see the same Zack Ryder that his fans see. Capable in the ring, but that's it.

I think you have to be a young man and/or into comedy to appreciate Zack Ryder outside the ring :shrug:

I mean if you don't get it you don't get it I guess.......... do you like comedy at all or are you generally not into funny things in the 1st place?

OK I didn't know much about Zack Ryder, I have heard all the IWC talking about him, but I have never watched Superstar's or his Long Island Iced Z Show's.

But I was VERY impressed with what I saw on RAW. He has great charisma, he looks very good in the ring, the "WOO WOO WOO" with the fistpump was awesome, also his "ARE YOU SERIOUS BRO?!!!" is absolutely genius.

I think the guy has a great future and it's easy to see why everyone here love's him so much.

I am now officially a Zack Ryder mark!! Let's see him on Raw more often!!

I think you have to be a young man and/or into comedy to appreciate Zack Ryder outside the ring :shrug:

I mean if you don't get it you don't get it I guess.......... do you like comedy at all or are you generally not into funny things in the 1st place?

Well your posts normally make me laugh, make of that what you will.

I honestly found Lance Storm more funny than Ryder, when he wasn't being serious (for a moment)

I've watched a few of Ryder's show. Well, I say watched, I mean skipped through to find something funny and kept finding myself at the end of the video and so on. I'm guessing it's the same kind of crowd that like Charlie Sheen that like Ryder, which tells me all I need to know.

I've watched a few of Ryder's show. Well, I say watched, I mean skipped through to find something funny and kept finding myself at the end of the video and so on. I'm guessing it's the same kind of crowd that like Charlie Sheen that like Ryder, which tells me all I need to know.

I think it's a clever style of humour. Some instances involve:

- Zack climbing a fence, trying to "get over"
- Zack holding a basketball with 'Zack Ryder' written on it, then letting it fall out of his hands. Saying WWE is "dropping the ball with Zack Ryder"
- We see Zack scribbling with some Crayolas, telling the camera he is an artist. Then moments later he holds up the drawing he was scriblling on the paper. It's a dollar bill, signifying he can "draw money."
- A toy of Zack is on a toy boat (Zack Ryder on a boat) on the ground. Zack is holding a shovel (that represents the WWE). He lifts the shovel up and slams it down on the concrete, narrowly missing the boat. The pun? The WWE is "missing the boat with Zack Ryder."
- People wanted him to "shoot" on his show. He was hesitant at first, but then rolled the footage of him shooting. Turns out it was him dressed as Han SolBro, shooting a laser at the camcorder.
- His friend The Big O (another wrestler) gets all frustrated and starts pushing Zack. Zack retaliates, getting all fired up saying no one pushes Zack Ryder.
- Making fun of the US' high unemployment rates because Zack does all the jobs. Then cuts to him being a Chef, Plumber, trainer etc.

and so on.....

Plus, he's incorporated pop culture into his skits, that a majority of people should understand, but putting his own 'tweak' on them. Like the game show he had the other week: Zacks favourite band being the WOO-WOO-WOO Tang Clan; and his favourite city is BRO-hio. And in the recent episode, singing popular songs in his car, but changing the lyrics that suit his character (e.g.: Like A Z6, instead of Like A G6; and Broski In A Bottle instead of Genie In A Bottle).

His interview segments with Buzz Lightyear, John Cena and Justin Beiber are nothing short of original and slightly helarious - so I'll give him credit for that.

I'm not a fan of The Big O though - he annoys me.

I guess, people like him because he's refreshing. On WWE TV we don't see faces be faces like this (yes, he's supposed to be a heel on TV I know). People are enjoying being entertained by the guy, and I guess you either get it or you don't. There are some TV shows and Movies I can not stand, and no amount of convincing from any amount of fans will get me to watch it, much less enjoy it.

But anyway, that's my two cents :)

Oh, and that Charlie Sheen line was a low blow dude. Two and a Half Men stopped being funny after 10 minutes :p

I think statement like this should be considered spam, or said by someone with low intelligence. It's like saying: "You must be gay to like the color pink/maroon/purple".

Nobody knows what he's like outside the ring, other than his friends. Clips on youtube are glimpses of what Zach wish to show the world. Even if he's actually good on youtube, does it mean that he will be just as good in the WWE? That's like comparing apples with oranges. I guess by the same "logic", anyone who has more than 10,000 views can apply for a contract with the WWE.

Come on, give me a break already. I've read so many insane comments about Zach Rider that I not so sure if the world is sane anymore.

Yeah. I don't get the "Ryder craze" either. He does videos on YouTube, so does Rebecca Black and I don't see her getting constantly brought up as the next Queen of music.

Zack Ryder is a decent in-ring wrestler, with spiked hair, bright colors, a catchphrase and a good personality. That doesn't entitle him to anything like a WWE Championship match or even a United States Championshi run or contendorship. There are people who have much more talent than him, he's a guy who people like for some strange reason, and once they like him they add these delusional characteristics that he supposedly had. I read someone say in a thread this week that Ryder has the best microphone skills in the WWE?!

There seems to be three types of people. People who don't acknowledge Ryder, people who know he's there and know he probably isn't going anywhere and then there are the Ryder-marks.

I chuckle, in a good way, when I watch Zack Ryder's YouTube shows. Just like a previous poster mentioned, he is quite clever with his puns, finding new ways each episode to say what he wants.

Since he's giving the WWE exposure and a lot of the superstars are behind him, why not give him a little push? He can get better in the ring and has a decent look.

People are eating out of his hands and everybody loves a success story. Ryder deserves to be somewhere other than Superstars.

I never really cared for Zack Ryder until I saw his YouTube videos. Watching them, it lets me know how hungry he is to make it in the WWE. I have much respect for him and I'm rooting for him.

He's okay. He's vastly overrated though. He's a basic jobber, really. I commend him for pulling off those videos on Youtube, the guy is trying hard, he's trying to get over, no doubt, but it's just not working for him. Not only that, but he's rarely ever on TV, he's not seen as a potential star by the WWE. He's nothing but an enhancement talent, at this juncture of his career. Maybe some day down the line he'll break out, but not right now. I mean, sure, he's charismatic, funny, but that's not enough to make him a success in the WWE.

He's just another guy that the IWC has decided to embrace. That doesn't mean he's really deserving of it, though.

Well Zack Ryder is my favourite superstar and always will be.Ive been his fan since he debuted and im not part of the bandwaggon jumping on now.He is funny,a good wrestler and can cut a good promo what is the reason not to push him?

Well Zack Ryder is my favourite superstar and always will be.Ive been his fan since he debuted and im not part of the bandwaggon jumping on now.He is funny,a good wrestler and can cut a good promo what is the reason not to push him?

You were a fan of him when he was Brett Major? I really, really highly doubt that.

I don't particularly understand the Ryder hate comments. Even if you don't find him funny, you see something from him that you don't see from all the other "jobbers" that WWE has floating around, and that's a bit of originality. I'm not saying he's main-event potential or even upper mid-card potential, but I think just throwing him away week-after-week is a pointless waste. As pointless as the constant JR-bashing? Probably not, but a waste nonetheless.

If anyone is truly adopting the thought pattern that he'll be among those that are Future Endeavoured in the inevitable forthcoming releases, then I think you're being a bit naive. The guy is only 26, has a decent amount of in-ring talent (which is all you need to make it in the WWE) and isn't so bad on the stick. Of course, a gimmick change is necessary, but VERY VERY possible.

On that note, whilst watching his latest video, one of those silly dream-booking unrealistic storylines popped into my head. It was just when he said "Ryder or Riot." I suddenly was reminded of the "If Cena Wins We Riot" sign from ONS 2006, and then it all sorta opened up. The comparison was there to be made. We have Cena, who gets all the pushes, all the opportunities, all the attention, despite how many older fans hate him. And then we have Ryder, who is never pushed, is rarely featured on Raw, but yet has a growing fanbase and has multiple signs showing up on the show.

My (impossible) proposition would be that Ryder brings all this up, and turns on his casual-buddy Cena. He brings up all the things I just mentioned, and makes the exact comparison between "Ryder or Riot" and "If Cena Wins We Riot." He would talk about how no matter what he did and how many fans he made, the WWE always kept him down, whilst despite how many people hate Cena, he always stayed at the top. Sorta like the R-Truth storyline, except for the fact that face-Ryder actually has fans. I wouldn't expect this to be for the WWE title of course, but perhaps it could be initiated through Ryder costing Cena the match in his rematch after losing the title to *whoever*.

I'd like to think it would work, but of course, it's just one of those "dream-booking" things that quite probably wouldn't work in practise. If Ryder continues making so many fans, however, and WWE doesn't make the mistake of releasing him, it could actually be a plausible, entertaining and rewarding feud.

Oh, until Cena hits him with 5 moves, Ryder taps and the storyline ends. Of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back