• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Your Most Anticipated Match

The Brain

King Of The Ring
As part of a discussion for another thread I mentioned that during my 23 years of watching wrestling the most I ever looked forward to a match was the Iron Man Match at WrestleMania XII. I consider Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels to be, by far, the greatest wrestlers of my time. To get the two best, in their primes, for 60 minutes, for the title, in the main event at WrestleMania was simply awesome. No match since has created more anticipation for me.

What was your most anticipated match? I'm not looking for your favorite match or the best match. I want to know what match you looked forward to more than any other regardless if it lived up to the hype or not.

A couple others for me would be Kurt Angle vs. Brock Lesnar at WrestleMania XIX and Kurt Angle vs. Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania 21. Of course there have been countless others that I greatly anticipated, but these are the ones that stand out. I don't think anything will ever top the Iron Man Match for me. What are your thoughts?

w.o a doubt i could say one of my top matches would be undertaker and michaels at wrestlemania..but back in the day the shawn michaels/razor ramon ladder match was priceless

Jeff Hardy Vs Matt Hardy WM 25 Hogan vs Rock WM X8 Bill Goldberg Vs Brock Lesnar WM 20 Rock Vs Austin WM 19 and Hogan Vs Vince Street Fight WM 19 the only match tat didnt live up to its hype was Bill VS Lesnar but it still was good in my opnion

I have more but my these are my top favs and my favortie match would have to be Jeff Vs Matt at WM 25 I loved tat match so much even though i liked Deadman vs HBK the match tat i liked the most was the battle of the Hardys i still cant belive after 9 years of wrestling this next generation match beats all those past classic battles in my opnion of course

Austin vs. Hart Wrestlemania 13!
I was just a kid back than. And Hart and Austin were the biggest stars IMO back than! They were also my two faves back than, but time has changed and I'm still a huge Bret fan, but not as much of an Austin fan, well I'm a fan but not a big fan. But anyways back than for me it was like a regular kiddie fan watching Cena vs. Batista! I was just soooooo damn excited for it!

I think my favorite match of all time would be a tie, I liked the Jericho vs Michaels, Michaels vs Bret(Definitely an all time fav.) But I think Undertaker and Michaels set a bar, both of them proved even with how old they are, they can out wrestle anyone almost.

For me it was my first Wrestlemania (22), it was Triple H vs John Cena, they were the biggest stars on the top show at the time and it just blew when I learned they were gonna have a match.

I'm 39 and been watching the WWF/WWE since 1987 in the UK and my most anticipated match still has to be WMVI Hogan Warrior at the time Warrior had so much momentum was shown on tv in such a way that he was unstoppable but could he beat Hogan Title for Title ?? (don't forget we didn't have the internet to let us know Hogan would take time off to make movies then) and the few seconds together in the Royal Rumble had us all at fever pitch.

I'd have to say HBK vs HHH at Summerslam 2002. It was Shawn's first match back and it was against someone he hadn't really feuded with. I was eager to see if he still had enough gas in the tank to make a big comeback and he really hasn't disappointed me.

Probably Austin vs. the Undertaker at SummerSlam '98.

I began watching wrestling again in April of that year, and immediately took a liking to Austin. And, remembering the Undertaker from my younger days of fandom in the early 90's, I obviously gravitated back to his character when I started watching again.

They were (by far) at that time, the two biggest names in the WWF and I couldn't wait to see them fight. It was actually the first pay-per-view I ever ordered. The "Highway to Hell".

...and...then the match sucked a massive dick. Rock/HHH completely stole that show.

i was thinking about what to type. it says my most anticipated match, and i thought about that but i was also thinking what anticipated matches delivered. I was really anticipating HHH vs Orton at this years WM25. Of course that flopped. I wasnt anticipating HBK vs taker but that was a classic before my eyes. so im gonna go with one that i was anticipating and delivered. im gonna go with HBK jericho WM19. I knew what HBK was capable of, and I am a huge Jericho mark so i was really looking forward to that. and wow what a match. those 2 went back and forth to give us a technical classic with a twist of a brawl. i just thought the match was magnificent and i still watch it once in a while on dvd.

atm theres 3 feuds i really want to see, thes feud/matches i want to see are Christian vs. Edge as this has to happen one day and both would have amazing promos and great matches, then theres Punk (heel) vs Taker and Taker vs Jericho, lets face it Taker at his age isnt what he once was but still with the right opponent (HBK, Edge) can still have quality matches and amazing feuds and Punk heel has so much potential and this feud would build him up good and proper, Jericho is supposed to be taking a break from Wrestling once his book comes out later this year and what a feud to go out in, Jericho could win the 1st match then Taker challenges him to a buried alive match and Taker wins and this is a great way to have Jericho written off

my most antisipated match was sting vs hogan at starcade. the build up to it was so great and it took so long to happen. it was far from the greatest match ever, and really didnt live up to the hype, but the antisipation was great!!!

Undertaker v.s Shawn Michaels, WrestleMania 25

Two of the biggest legends in professional wrestling history squaring off one more time on the grandest stage. And it was built up in the favour of Shawn Michaels', it looked like he had a real chance of ending Taker's streak in this match. It was the first time I had ever seen anyone get into the head of Taker before a high profile main event. Plus I knew the match would be good, you just knew it. Two of the best, in the ring at the same time... couldn't get any better.

Im gonna have to say the HBK v.s. Undertaker match at WM25. Since 2004, I imagined a match between these two. 5 years later, it happened & I absolutely creamed my pants throughout the entire match. I even had a tear in my eye at the end of match.

Other honourable mentions:

Bill Goldberg v.s. Brock Lesnar
Kurt Angle v.s. Shawn Michaels
The 1st ever "Money In The Bank" ladder match

the earliest I imagine would have been Andre v Hogan, then Warrior v Hogan, and then Hart v Michaels, then Hart v Austin...personally, when I first heard of the idea of a Undertaker v Michaels WM25 match, i could`nt wait! and the best part, is that they didnt disappoint!

I've been watching for 30 yrs, so this is a tough question...

4.) Hogan/Sting Starrcade 97 - I was never a big Hogan fan but I traveled from Pgh to DC to watch this match, WCW built this up for 14 months!!! Realistically, Flair and Sting were the only guys on the roster legitimately who could represent WCW vs NWO at this time, and Hogan had never faced Sting in a World Title match, it was the perfect set up. The match deserved better, Sting looked slow and his timing was off, and the semi screwy ending didn't help, but the real shame was in immediately holding up the title just to pump the SuperBrawl PPV two mths later. After 14 mths of NWO dominance, Sting deserved to win this outright, regardless of how they handled the finish and the aftermath, this was probably the best set up for a lone match ever, more than a yr in the making

3.) $100,000 vs TV Title - Dusty Rhodes vs (champion) Tully Blanchard - June 1987 - Another great set up, Blanchard had offered 10 grand of his own money to anyone who could beat him for the TV Title, but he only wrestled with a 10 minute time limit. Rhodes, the perenial arch nemesis of Blanchard and the evil Horsemen, offered 100 grand of his own money if the time limit would be raised to 60 minutes. You also have the emotional return of Magnum TA, in his first public appearance after the car crash that ended his career and nearly killed him. I just had to see how Blanchard could survive and keep his title against Dusty, everything pointed to a Rhodes win. Of course, in one of the great bad guy moments in all of wrestling, the Horsemen appear at ringside somewhere around the 50 minute mark and beat down crippled Magnum, who was partially paralyzed and walked with a cane. Dusty has to leave the ring to make the save and Tully wins by count-out. Priceless ending, Dusty screwed again as The Horsemen beat up a crippled accident victim!

2) Hogan/Andre WM 3 - Ppl who say this wasn'ta great match focus solely on the physical aspect - The drama, and these guys milked every bit they could from the live crowd, and the build up was intense. Andre wrestled for over 20 yrs and was never pinned remember, and Hogan was at his high point in popularity. Some of the best build up McMahon ever did for a match. Possibly the biggest match in WWE history as this bout was the lynch pin for making WM 3 the sucess it was, after this point WM was must see event for wrestling fans, prior it was just WWE's version of Starrcade. Also probably Hogan's biggest victory, alongside his World Title wins over Flair & Savage

1.) Flair/HBK WM 24 - You knew how it was gonna end but you had to see it, the first time in more than a decade I really marked out for a match. Good physical match, and these guys worked the crowd like you wouldn't believe. The ending was a sight too, the impromptu 73,000 standing ovation, the kind of genuine emotion you don't typically see in a pro wrestling match

For me, it has to be Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H, Summerslam 2002.

Michaels has reitred in 1998 because of the back injury, and everybody and their mother knew then that he would never be able to wrestle again. fast forward 4 YEARS, and he was brought back into WWE, he was free from his drug abuse, and he calls out HHH for a FIGHT, not a wrestling match. Watching the promo where HBK challenged HHH to a fight at Summerslam, I was as giddy as a schoolgirl, because I had a ticket for the PPV, and would be watching Shawn Michaels return live and in person. Then the PPV comes, and I don't think anybody expected it to be anything special, because a wrestler just can't take 4 YEARS off, come back, and be just as good (if not better) then he ever was before. Well, HBK was BETTER then he was before he retired. It is unfathomable how good he is, and how he was able to steal the show.

My opinion is definitely bias, becasue I think anybody who is going to see a match live (especially of that caliber) will anticipate it more. The story going into that match (real life story, not the storyline) made this match beyond memorable.

hands down austin/rock wm17
not my favourite 2 wrestlers but i was just a kid and nearly came in my pants waiting for that match..

Most anitcapted...

HBK vs Benoit vs HHH- WM 20

When I order in WM 20 that year that match gave the chills.
Plus that whole card was stacked with big matches.

Other good anitcapted matches were Rock vs Hogan WM 18 (loved the staredown) and the Undertaker and Kane sega (both matches were highly anitcapted at WM)

My most anticipated match had to be....

The Rock vs Stone Cold Steve Austin

To me this was the pinnacle of all their matchups. All their feuds over the years led to this. This match was amazing and I loved every minute of it.

To me, my most anticipated matches are always Unification matches. Just the idea alone of a Champ walking in with one Title and walking out with two is the ultimate, “I am the Best of the BEST” ending to a match. There were a few of them, some good, some bad, but always memorable.

Austin/Rock at WM X-7 had soooo much buildup, it wasnt even funny. The Rock performing stunners on Austin the weeks leading up, Austin giving a few Rock Bottoms to the Rock, Debra becoming The Rocks manager, Them talking in the interview segment, The Beers in the Ring, Interfering in eachother's matches, etc. And then when the music video for the Match happened, it just sent chills down my spine knowing I was about to witness an Instant Classic.

That tops all for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back