"you still got it" chant

whoopin' ass

Championship Contender
although this happens everywhere, I am putting it here since we just saw this on Monday on RAW. what is the deal with the audiences chanting "you still got it" anytime a former wrestler comes to the ring and doesn't trip getting into it? Look at Monday - the legend of the week gets into the ring and before he even does anything, the crowd is chanting. I could understand if he had wrestled a 15 minute match already and people were chanting it but nothing happened and they were chanting. are the live audiences that programmed already?:shrug:

No the audience just didn't know what else to chant for Backlund. Oh yeah and the "you still got it" chant is a sign of respect from the audience to the legends. Anybody who has a problem with that I can proudly call you a dumbass.

It's just a way to show respect. Does Bob Backlund still have it? To a degree he still has a great look for someone of his age, can he go in the ring? We don't know, but he moved pretty well to lock in the Crossface Chickenwing, that's for sure. Vader still has it, he was moving how he used to, only difference was he is bigger now than he was back in his run. The Rock got the chant because he'd not wrestled in so long some were doubting how he'd perform, yet he performed to a fantastic rate and rather quick pace.

It's a sign of respect. Whether they still legit have "it" or not is irrelevant, these are the guys that paved the way for the WWE to achieve so much, Bob Backlund is a legend, he deserved the chant, instead of questioning it, just go along with it, it's modern day fans showing respect and appreciation to the guys who paved the path.

Well, for one thing, Mr. Backlund looked to be in very good shape considering his age. Additionally, he didn't look to be out of step in his match in the same manner as someone like, say, Jake Roberts or The Iron Sheik would do had they been chosen to compete, in a comparison of their current physical condition to their ability and physique in the past.

Add that to the middle bit of Mikey Mike's answer and hey presto.

I mean, imagine (for arguments sake) Scott Hall had wondered out into the arena. Do you imagine he'd have received the same welcome? The chant is a signal of appreciation of the fans to past idols for their work in earlier eras, and also for the maintaining of their wrestling ability despite the gulf in time between them now and when they competed regularly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back