I Hate it when Fans Chant "ECW"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luten

Occasional Pre-Show
I really wish WWE fans wouldn't chant "EC-DUB" at their ECW shows anymore.

I've just finished watching this weeks ECW and there were a few fans chanting it in the main-event

I know this is an old argument of the Old ECW vs the WWE's version of ECW but please please please just chant the Wrestlers names rather than add insult to injury.

I really don't see what the big deal is. It means if anything, the fans are responding to what they see in the ring, and they're fully enjoying what is going on. If I was wrestling in the main event of ECW and 14,000 people were chanting that, and I happened to be someone like Zack Ryder or Yoshi Tatsu, two guys who are starting to hit their stride, I'd be really excited.

I think what's disrespectful and needs to stop are the "What?" chants. It's annoying to hear and it sucks when someone new like Sheamus is trying to put over a feud and the crowd shits all over it by yelling "What?". The only time it was ever funny and/or relevant to use is when The Great Khali cut heel promos.

I've just finished watching this weeks ECW and there were a few fans chanting it in the main-event

I know this is an old argument of the Old ECW vs the WWE's version of ECW but please please please just chant the Wrestlers names rather than add insult to injury.

Like Guy, I really don't see the big deal. I don't think it adds insult to anything. It is still ECW so they can chant whatever they so choose. I don't even think that it is a case of "New ECW vs. Old ECW". People have always chanted EC-Dub at ECW showings and it is a small memento of a simpler time in the ECW world. People should be allowed to hold onto that foe however long they feel like.

Considering its the name of the brand, and it rolls so nicely off the tongue, I don't see a problem with it. The could probably just as easily chant R-A-W, but every likes listening to the silky sweet voices of Al Sharpton and Bob Barker. I don't think theres any problem with Old ECW vs New ECW. Maybe in 2006-2007, but not now, as ECW has been transformed into what it should have been in the first place. The third place show, ironically, what it was during the Monday Night Wars as well.

Funny, when I was watching Superstars last night there was a nice chunk of fans that started to chant "ECW!" during the Tommy Dreamer-Vladimir Kozlov match, I thought that was nice. Unfortunately Kozlov then proceeded to immediately squash Dreamer like he was a jobber, reminding me and those chanting fans that "Oh yeah, ECW is dead, Vince killed and raped it..."

Maybe the fans would chant "ECW!" if ECW ever gave them anything to fucking chant about. The show isn't bad by any means, but it's just absolutely nothing like the original ECW. There isn't a damn single similarity between the two aside from the name. Tell you what, if next week on ECW Tommy Dreamer throws someone through a table, then maybe we'll get a chant. It would be fitting.

Instead of wishing this, perhaps WWE should simply rename the name of the show, since it is quite obvious that this show is not representative of another wrestling company ... and it most definitely IS NOT EXTREME in any way.

Seems to me like renaming the show is probably the most sensible thing to do, which in turn will get these fans to stop chanting "ECW" in the process.

Honestly, I don’t mind people chanting E-C-Dub or anything that reminds them of the original ECW. Yes, sometimes it can be annoying when people don’t realize that the original ECW is dead and when they keep asking for it to return. But I’m not losing any sleep over so it doesn’t bother me one bit.

Like Lord said, the best move they could probably make is to just change the name of the show. But I doubt they care if the fans are chanting ECW or anything else reminiscent of the original ECW so they probably wouldn’t bother changing the name of it just because some fans want it to be changed.

i actually like the e.c.w chants,it means the crowd is into the match,but i do agree with guy about the what chants they are seriously annoying,and if i was cutting a promo id stop and say "shut the hell up",id also say "no you suck" when people chant you suck :)

As long as the crowd is involved, I don't care if they chant "We Suck Balls" during the match. The E-C-DUB chant isn't just for ECW anymore, and hasn't for about 8 years. Fans use it for any hardcore or "oh shit" moment.

On the last Impact, there was a pretty badass spot with a table, and I chanted it in the LD. Corny, yes, but it was my way to react to it. I'm sure it would have been heard in the crowd, if it wasn't edited out.

I don't mind it at all. Hell, the WWE are lucky if the fan's chant ANYTHING these days. Crowd's are so dead now, the E-C-DUB chants are refreshing every time I hear them and at least they add some excitement and atmosphere to a match.

One thing that does annoy me is how the commentators keep calling ECW "The Land of Extreme". There is NOTHING extreme about it; Raw and Smackdown are more extreme than ECW. The should just refer to it as the place to see all the young, rising stars like Tiffany has been.

Its what the show is called...Live with it...

Seriously I don't get the issue...the original ECW is dead...its over.

Just My Opinion

EC-Dub chants have their time and place, IMO. I'm not sure if it was... a few months ago, maybe? Some sort of tag match involving Christian and Dreamer and two other guys; Christian's doing a decent amount of high spots. All of a sudden, Dreamer's on the ring apron, and pulls out some running senton off of the apron out of nowhere. (And then he began using said move weekly)

HUGE pop from the wrestling fans. You know, all 100 of them. Almost all of them start chanting EC-Dub, and a few kiddies decide to join in cause if it's a nice guy, you're supposed to cheer if other people are! Yeah! The arena's now filled with kids who can't figure out what's going on if Cena isn't jingling keys in front of them. or spraypainting "JBL is poopy" on a limousine. You know, that guy who used to wrestle in a tag team with that other guy who'd come out and say the D word? Such a pottymouth!

Oh, and don't forget their parents who bring them, and sit there and read a book. If you're EVER in the stands next to a kid wearing Cena apparel (If he's 7 leave him the hell alone) and their mother, try and start up a Cena sucks chant. I personally have nothing against the guy, he's just doing what VKM (NOT Kip and BG) is telling him to do: be this era's Hogan. But the look you'll get from said mother will be priceless and totally worth it.

But I digress. let them chant EC-Dub. We'll always have one better: OH MY GOOOOOD! (I miss Joey Styles. ;.; ) You'll probably never see a hardcore match again, they should just rename it to "Singles Match with Foreign (Wait that's a double entendre, let me cross that out) DANGEROUS Objects.

Side Note: Remind me to ask JR if the trashcans are made of Aluminum Foil.

i actually like the e.c.w chants,it means the crowd is into the match,but i do agree with guy about the what chants they are seriously annoying,and if i was cutting a promo id stop and say "shut the hell up",id also say "no you suck" when people chant you suck :)

Dude, no... Didn't you watch ECW One Night Stand? IMO, there was only one. 2005. Although I'm a huge mark for RVD, ONS2006 wasn't ECW. Was a good PPV, but not ECW.

Once again making me happy is someone who's always been in my top 3. The WWE (Anti-ECW) brigade, or whatever, memory's a little fuzzy... Are walking up to their seats. The crowd starts chanting "YOU SUCK DICK!"

Kurt Angle turns to the crowd and says, "Yeah, your mother taught me!"

The crowd starts chanting "YOU SUCK DICK!"

Kurt Angle turns to the crowd and says, "Yeah, your mother taught me!"

that was ripped off directly from the dudley boys in the original ecw.

i personally love it when a crowd gets into the match. it brings another element into it. yes the original ecw is long gone but the new ecw is probably the closest thing on tv to it (look past the blood and "hardcore" of the original, ecw was really all about bringing a product that the other companies didn't bring) the new ecw is the only wwe product (imho) that is bringing consistantly solid matches and good rivalries (i wouldn't really call them fueds) and as such seems to be the only wwe show that draws such a response to the wrestling from the crowd. sure other superstars on raw and smackdown get pops but it's pretty much done once the bell rings.

Look I always thought ECW in its heyday was about creating new stars and putting over new talent. I know its different without RVD, TAZ, SABU, The SANDMAN ETC. but its still ECW to me I think the fans chanting is cool because the new guys deserve the support.

The old ECW is gone, actually has been gone for a very long time, but let the fans chant whatever they want. It's a reaction right? At least the fans are into the product when they chant. Let them do it. The show is a developmental show now. That's not going to change anytime soon if ever. Anytime ECW gets, noticed is always a good sign.

The ECDub chants have got nothing to do with the past. I doubt 1% of the audience was ever aware of ECW when it existed, and the chants are generally in response to Tommy Dreamer, and rather than meaning "ECW is the best promotion", they tend to mean "I am enjoying Tommy Dreamer's performance".

People are far too defensive of the ECW name, to be honest. That's all it is, a name. WWE have never maintained that ECW is anything but a third brand, and to be honest, Paul Heyman didn't have to sell the ECW name to WWE, did he? It was obvious that Vince would pillage it, because that's what he does. Maybe it's because I'm not a fanboy, but I don't care that ECW in 2009 is different from the one in 1999. It's just a name.

Us as WWE fans aren't thrown much in the EC-Dub sense so we have to celebrate what we can get. Why do you got to yell at them. I like it when the crowd chants because it pressures the wrestlers to fulfill that chant.

The only problem is if someone chants it if they are unaware of original ECW. Many WWE fans when they list the original ECW wrestlers, they say Tommy Dreamer and then sit and stare into space. You have to know about the original before you can chant EC-Dub.

Instead of wishing this, perhaps WWE should simply rename the name of the show, since it is quite obvious that this show is not representative of another wrestling company ... and it most definitely IS NOT EXTREME in any way.

Seems to me like renaming the show is probably the most sensible thing to do, which in turn will get these fans to stop chanting "ECW" in the process.

I agree that that is the way to go if WWE actually wanted to stop the chants, but I read in an interview with Rob Van Dam that Vince thinks that the reason people chant ECW is because Vince "taught" them to. I personally don't care if people chant ECW, or anything else because its more enjoyable to watch a wrestling show when the crowd is really hot. Now if Vince did change the name he'd probably change it to "Entertainment Championship Wrestling" or something silly like that. Either way i'm sure hearing those chants strokes his ego.

Really... do people get aggreviated about a live crowd getting into the match due to the performers in the ring doing their jobs correctly entertainment-wise? Just because the ECDub chants were heard during the old school days, it doesn't mean its a reference to those same time periods. It is just a way of the fans to chant something simple that shows their appreciation for the match/spot, how they are being entertained and that they are enjoying the proceedings all in the one combination.

Sure, they could go with This Is Awesome or Holy Shit... but ECDub is an exclusive chant to the ECW, so why not use it whilst the Dub is up and running, regardless of what it stands for.

Because it's not ECW Jickie. It's not even remotely close. That's like me taking a delicious apple, throwing it in the garbage, pulling out a moldy peach and putting a sticker on it that says "Apple". Doesn't make it true, does it?

ECW was a chant of pride for some of the most devout and rabid fans in wrestling history, it was something that belonged to us, and the WWE took it, raped it a few times, and left it to die in a ditch. We have every fucking right to be critical of people chanting ECW when we're seeing fucking Yoshi Tatsu versus This Week's Nobody From FCW.

Honestly though I don't even remember the last time I heard the crowd chant that. 99% of the crowds at the ECW tapings wouldn't know one fucking thing about the original ECW, outside of it's dead and Tommy Dreamer was in it.

I know the difference between the old and new school Dub's X. What bugs me is that people chanting something like ECDub seems to annoy some people. So, just because the new version of ECW has been more watered down than a McDonald's Cup of Coke, been tortured brutally to beat the living crap out of all of its old school beliefs and left to die with only a couple pieces of dignity left in Tommy Dreamer and the 3rd rate program to help elevate talent... it means people still can't cheer for the brand?

Audiences who come to see SmackDown (because unfortunately, people wouldn't buy a ticket to watch the Dub to the extent where WWE would make a formidable profit) get to see ECW as the starting show. If they feel that what is being put forth in front of them as the starting segments where half of the guys are essentialy very green and the others are well-versed ring experts putting on an entertaining program, is there any harm in chanting for the brand name? The implications behind the chant may anger people but for a live audience, who really cares if they decide to actually become passionate and get involved with the show. I wouldn't and would gladly cheer along if I were among the audience.

However, I do agree that they should change the ECW name as the name of the brand is the name of a company. Traditionally, you don't name show brands as a company name that isn't your company. Eg. If WWE had one show, it would be acceptable to call that one show WWE. However, if the second show was called ECW but still directly and consistently recognised as apart of the WWE, it doesn't make sense. They should change the name of the brand, but I am guessing that they are keeping the name for TD, name value and profitability (wherever they can get that from).

Dude,they are either fakes trying to immitate the real ECW,newcomers who are fans of the original ECW(like me) or just chanting ECW to the originals instead of chanting their names.I,personally,like the original ECW chants because they were anti-Cena`s pg crap or,well,just entertaining...

You do? I don't find it really important. When the crowd usualy chants ECW there has to be some epic match going on or some good action or Tommy Dreamer in the ring... Well the point is that you shouln't be bothered by it, in fact if your a fan of the new product you should be loving it. It means that people have come to accept the product, or it could just be Tommy Dreamer...

What it comes down to I guess is that fans actually chant something. I don't always agree why some fans who would chant "ECW" during a Dreamer/Koslov match or why TNA fans chant "This is Awesome" or "You Still Got It" to Jim Neidhart when he could barely walk. I don't hate it but it does bug me. I think the worst in my opinion would be when fans bring out the old "What!" chants.

That was annoying when Austin used it 7 years ago. I guess its better to hear then "Boring" or "This is Stupid" chants though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back