• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Yo JKO (AKA X Gives Lil Wayne Another Chance)

X

RIP Sgt. Michael Paranzino / RIP CM
So I told JKO I'd give Lil Wayne another chance with his modern day shit and I downloaded the No Ceilings mixtape he released a few months back. I was pleasantly surprised by the album. Although there are plenty of your typical Weezy tracks, there are a few songs on here that are solid both musically and lyrically, particularly the songs Swag Surfin' and Break Up. There's a few "slow jam" love type songs which aren't exactly my thing but I understand why he'd make them. That's All I Have is a pretty good track, Tyga steals the song on the first verse though. I'm Good is another good track despite it's poor chorus/hook, though Weezy kind of wins me over when he starts rapping about the Red Sox and Nomar Garciaparra. That's just a big fat case of win. Last few tracks on the album are all pretty good as well.

Overall this was a pretty good mixtape man, there's 17 tracks on it and about 1/3 of them are good. There's a few really bad slow jam/love songs and a few really cliched Weezy autotune bullshit, but overall this is much more like the Weezy I used to dig like five years ago and in his Hot Boys days. I'd give it like a 3 out of 5. Solid.

Now I've laid down the gauntlet Ty and Big Sexy. Come in and bash me to death for saying something positive about the guy's present work.

You can live for another day JKO.

He's REALLY got to cut out with the fucking autotune bullshit though. And the sampling of Black Eyed Peas. Both of those need to end immediately.

He's REALLY got to cut out with the fucking autotune bullshit though. And the sampling of Black Eyed Peas. Both of those need to end immediately.

I think people's judgement of autotune is tainted by the fact that everyone and their grandma has used it. It was originally just Kanye, Wayne, and T-Pain who were doing it. Then Drake, and then after they saw those four's success with it, they decided to dry-hump their way to fame. But nevertheless, it does need to stop outside of T-Pain. At least for the next 10 years or so.

But you're gonna hate the fact that T-Pain and Lil Wayne are coming out with a collaboration album of autotuned love songs.

That literally sounds like the worst album ever made. I'm fairly certain that album is illegal under the Geneva convention.

Now onto some much better modern rap, Raekwon's last album.

I'm really not a Luda fan. Never have been. Think he's really overrated.

Isn't the Nomar line something like "Kicking it like Nomar Garciaparra" ?

I don't understand that simile.

Isn't the Nomar line something like "Kicking it like Nomar Garciaparra" ?

I don't understand that simile.

I don't know, maybe he's a Red Sox fan? I've heard him rhyme about the BoSox a shitload of times. I was under the impression all rappers were Yankees fans.

I really do like that song though, sick down south beat and rhymes about Nomar and Captain Kirk. That's just awesome in my book.

Wayne as a Red Sox fan would force me to like him more. There's just some sort of bond when I meet a Boston fan, causes an instant friendship.

I think I'd befriend Bin Laden if he rooted for the Sox.

Dude...the fuck? Sick verses but what the FUCK is up with that video and the beginning of the song?

APC man, they're a new group I've found while going on a major underground/independent/alternative hip hop binge the other night.

As far as the video, well everyone's tried acid once before right?

Lil Wayne is still capable of making good songs and there are a few songs here and there of his that I do really enjoy. However, overall he doesn't put out quality stuff like he used to. He is considered by so called "experts" nowadays to be one of the best rappers in the game which is completely untrue. He has turned more into a pop rapper. He is definitely capable of putting out good shit, he just chooses to put out crap for the most part.

Rebirth (Lil Wayne's rock album) leaked. It was horrible.

However, like I said, a couple months in jail should give Wayne time to write up The Carter 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back