X's Reviews/Match Ratings

X

RIP Sgt. Michael Paranzino / RIP CM
Well, I'm a big smarky loser, we all know that, and since KB has gone and reviewed just about every show ever, it would have been redundant for me to do the same. So instead, over the last few months I've been assigning ratings to every wrestling match I watch that I deem to be atleast *** out of *****, AKA 3 stars out of 5. No point in including all the * and ** star matches. I got the idea from Meltzer, and specifically this blog that has been a great resource for me which logs all of the ratings Meltzer assigns to wrestling matches:

http://starratingslist.blogspot.com/2009/09/wwe-observer-star-ratings-1986-present.html

But, as many of you will agree, sometimes Meltzer doesn't get something right. I won't pretend I'm always right either, but I figured A) I'm not nearly as easy to please as Meltzer can be when it comes to ROH and puro, and B) There are a SHITLOAD of missing shows and great matches that Meltzer hasn't seen from promotions, especially Japanese ones, that I could rate for a resource for someone who wanted to look up some good matches to watch from a particular wrestler.

Now, I've only been keeping these ratings so far for a few months, and everything that I've rated thus far is just the wrestling I've watched over these last few months, so alot of it might be random. My plan is to update the blog daily, as I watch wrestling daily, with both the old school and various promotions around the world that I watch, as well as keeping the blog up to date with all the new WWE and TNA shows, as well as Dragon Gate USA (and hopefully soon ROH).

Anyways, this post if for those that are too lazy to visit the blog which is located here: http://xfearbefore.blogspot.com/

But, as Sly suggested, I should keep a thread on here updated with them as well, much like KB's "Table of Contents" thread linking to all of his reviews. So give me some time, and hopefully I'll have this thread updated and looking good and providing you guys with a shitload of match ratings that will be updated daily by yours truly.

That is of course if you care about my opinion on wrestling. If you don't, well, that's cool, and I understand because shit I am pretty much just a complete stranger. But I think people around here can vouch for me being a very avid follower of all different styles and promotions of professional wrestling, and my ability to rate or review a match or show is (usually) spot-on.

Stay tuned kiddies.

I'm going to be using this OP for a database for all the full-length reviews I do.

WWE

TNA

ROH

NOAH

NJPW

AJPW

Dragon Gate USA

PWG

EVOLVE

CHIKARA

AAA

ZERO1

JCW

UFC

You haven't watched Orton vs. Mysterio or Angle vs. Taker from No Way Out 2006.

In the last 2 and a half months.

Like I said, this is ALL only wrestling that I have sat down and watched over the last 2 and a half months. Obviously I have a LONG way to go before it resembles something even halfway complete.

All righty, think I've got it all set for now. Stay tuned, I'll likely update this again sometime tonight.

Oh and if you have any questions, or if you want to request that I watch and rate certain matches or whatever, feel free to do that in here, it's why this is in the Spam Zone.

This thing WILL be updated daily.

Half stars I can accept. Quarter stars are just too far. Perhaps you should imitate your Japanese idols and adopt an out-of-twenty system.

Half stars I can accept. Quarter stars are just too far. Perhaps you should imitate your Japanese idols and adopt an out-of-twenty system.

It's the same system Meltzer has been using for 25 years Sam. Works for me.

The fact that you point out Dave Meltzer as something, well, positive upsets me greatly.

:rolleyes:

Please Sam, anyone who doesn't think Dave Meltzer is the single best wrestling journalist out there does not know what the fuck they're talking about, at all. No one even comes close to Meltzer, not even Keller or Dunn.

:rolleyes:

Please Sam, anyone who doesn't think Dave Meltzer is the single best wrestling journalist out there does not know what the fuck they're talking about, at all. No one even comes close to Meltzer, not even Keller or Dunn.

Now would be the time to point I don't know who either of them are. You've revealed my lack of expertise on wrestling journalism, X. You win this round.

Wade Keller and JD Dunn, they're the other two biggest names in wrestling journalism behind Dave Meltzer.

Why do you think Meltzer isn't good for some reason? Let me guess, more Slyfox brainwashing? The man is THE single greatest wrestling journalist out there, bar none, and anyone can tell you that, nobody has the contacts or connections that Meltzer does, which is why all wrestling news online usually always comes from Meltzer and the Observer.

It became cool to hate on Meltzer right around the time it became cool to hate anything even remotely smark-related.

I just look at Meltzer scores for matches I've seen and think, "No. No, that was shit." Punk/Joe matches, for example. Besides, even if he was a modern day Shakespeare (who was a famed wrestling journalist as well as playwright) his scoring system is still needlessly specific and the use of fractions to indicate slight differences in quality between one match and the other is just a bit, uh, OCD.

Not really. It works fine for me. It's the same system most film critics use as well Sam.

You didn't like the Punk-Joe matches? I agree they weren't all 5 star affairs like he had them rated at, but they were all damn great.

I actually have much higher standards than Meltzer usually, especially when it comes to ROH.

He's also the best/most credible MMA journalist out there as well. Dana White has said so himself.

Not really. It works fine for me. It's the same system most film critics use as well Sam.

Most, actually all, film reviews I read use a five star system, not a twenty quarter star system. Is there really any need to differentiate on twenty different levels of quality? "This match is a four and a quarter star, but that match was more of a four and a half star."

You didn't like the Punk-Joe matches? I agree they weren't all 5 star affairs like he had them rated at, but they were all damn great.

They've since had much better matches in TNA and WWE respectively. Perhaps one day they can wrestle again, and we'll see if their chemistry has improved.

He's also the best/most credible MMA journalist out there as well. Dana White has said so himself.

We need better journalists.

Personally, I would agree that the Punk/Joe affairs were overrated and this is from a massive Punk fan. I also didn't think that Joe/Kobashi was anywhere near a 5 star match.

However, that may be due more to what I dislike about ROH. The wrestling is fantastic but at times I find that story-telling is forgotten

I didn't give Kobashi-Joe 5 stars you'll notice.

And Sam if you don't like my rating system, well, too bad. It's the one I use, and it works well.

Anyways, added these two matches:

4/2/89 Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat (2/3 Falls) - *****
5/7/89 Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat - *****

Decided to get most of the classics out of the way first.

Update:

WWE
5/1/05 Chris Benoit vs. Edge (Last Man Standing) - ****
4/5/09 The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels - ****3/4

AJPW
7/3/87 Tiger Mask II/Jumbo Tsuruta vs, Stan Hansen/Ted DiBiase - ***1/2
7/19/87 Tiger Mask II vs. Ted DiBiase - ***1/4

WCW
7/7/90 Midnight Express vs. Southern Boys - ****

So... we can comment in here, eh? The Midnights and the Southern Boys get FOUR stars? ROFLCOPTERINMYCHERRIOSNSHIT!

It was a good match. But ME vs. the Fantastics at the Great American Bash '88's better.

So... we can comment in here, eh? The Midnights and the Southern Boys get FOUR stars? ROFLCOPTERINMYCHERRIOSNSHIT!

It was a good match. But ME vs. the Fantastics at the Great American Bash '88's better.

Why is it weird that I gave ME vs Southern Boys four stars? Those guys were on fire then and any time they hooked up it was going to be great.

Wait 'til I get around to GAB 88. In fact now that you've brought it up, I'll watch that match later tonight and rate it and add it in here.

Anyways, another update for some matches I watched this afternoon:

WWE
4/25/99 The Undertaker vs. Ken Shamrock - ***
4/25/99 Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. The Rock - ****1/2

AJPW
10/19/85 Ric Flair vs. Jumbo Tsuruta - ***1/2

ECW
3/21/99 Rob Van Dam vs. Jerry Lynn - ****1/4

Another quick little update before I take off:

WCW
1/20/90 Great Muta vs. Arn Anderson - ***1/2
7/13/97 Scott Steiner/Rick Steiner vs. Great Muta/Masahiro Chono - ***

Decided to just do one update a day, easier that way.

These are today's additions:

Dragon Gate USA
1/22/10 Gran Akuma vs. Matt Jackson vs. Nick Jackson vs. Hallowicked vs. Johnny Gargano vs. Lince Dorado - ***1/2
1/22/10 BxB Hulk vs. Brian Kendrick - ***1/4
1/22/10 CIMA vs. Super Crazy vs. Mike Quackenbush vs. Jorge "Skayde" Rivera - ***
1/22/10 Davey Richards vs. YAMATO - ****1/2
1/22/10 Naruki Doi/Masato Yoshino vs. Dragon Kid/Shingo - ****1/4
1/22/10 BxB Hulk vs. CIMA vs. Gran Akuma vs. YAMATO - ***1/2

ECW
4/13/97 Lance Storm vs. Rob Van Dam - ***
4/13/97 Great Sasuke/Gran Hamada/Masato Yakushuji vs. Men's Teioh/Dick Togo/Taka Michinoku - ****
1/7/01 Rob Van Dam vs. Jerry Lynn - ***3/4

Big update tonight:

WWE
7/21/96 Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Marc Mero - ***1/4
4/3/05 Shawn Michaels vs. Kurt Angle - *****
8/23/09 CM Punk vs. Jeff Hardy (TLC) - ****1/2

TNA
1/11/09 Alex Shelley vs. Chris Sabin - ****

AJPW
3/9/85 Tiger Mask II vs. Kuniaki Kobayashi - ***3/4
6/6/97 Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Toshiaki Kawada - *****

WCW