• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE's most viewed videos on Youtube

29541130_1799385400112172_536659277352913433_n.jpg

Just a random topic that passed through my head and thought would be an interesting discussion. If there's a place to notice how the casual fan thinks and what the casual fan likes, it's youtube.

There are 24 videos. John Cena has an important part in 10 of them. Randy Orton in 7. Triple H in 6. Lesnar in some more, etc.

What's interesting for me is that:
a) a big battle royal is the most viewed video. It's a battle royal that took place back in 2011, with the winner getting a shot at any championship in the company. Orton won it which lead to a throw away match with Mark Henry which was used as a way to promote Henry/Big Show and Orton/Cody.

b) The popularity of the Brothers of Destruction.

c) Great Khali. It's true that Khali sucked. But god damn it, he was very popular among the casual fans. Even people here in Greece knew Khali.

d) The lack of Rock/Cena segments.

e) Roman Reigns is in there. (Brock's assault on Roman 5 days ago already has 8.8m views).

If you move down from this list, next up in line, there are some stupid videos like "Vince McMahon walks in on Vicky Guerrero warming up", "Dolph and Lana kiss", "Eva Marie has a waldrobe malfunction". Oh and Khali is still featured in some of these. A freakin backstage segment with Khali and Natalya has 23m views.

Anyways, do you guys have anything to say about all of this?

PS: To me this shows that not only Vince likes "Big sweaty men" or "small weak underdogs that overcome the odds" like Rey. Casual fans like those as well.

PS: To me this shows that not only Vince likes "Big sweaty men" or "small weak underdogs that overcome the odds" like Rey. Casual fans like those as well.

I was just thinking about this the other day. A lot of the hardcore fans need to understand that they are just the minority. Vince likes the big sweaty men because the casuals do so and they put far more money into the WWE than the hardcore fans.

Of course, WWE's YouTube channel isn't the only way to determine who's a big draw and who isn't, but it does show who the majority of the audience likes, especially as literally every WWE fan from around the world has access to these videos for free.

It's one thing being a big name in NJPW, ROH or NXT but it's a completely different thing being on the WWE's platform.

Actual wrestling is the least popular part of WWE and always has been. The majority just want to see interesting characters doing cool things, as shown by the videos.

Actual wrestling is the least popular part of WWE and always has been. The majority just want to see interesting characters doing cool things, as shown by the videos.

WWE doesn't typically post full length matches. Most posts are short videos. Matches are longer and sometimes need context to be interesting. So it makes sense that matches wouldn't dominate the top spots. They are long and the matches don't have the buildup.

Blah, social media.

There's only so much a company can do to entice us to pay attention to it in a way that shows their advertisers that we're paying attention to it. Social media is this crazy new phenomenon where the popularity of a person or an idea can be roughly gauged and eventually monetized.

YouTube is just a website full of goofy fucking stupid videos and free shit that is very illegal if it doesn't sit directly on the fine line between what's legal and illegal. YouTube wants to be taken seriously as a media platform on par with Netflix, but it's not and I don't think that it ever will be. It wouldn't surprise me if The Little People's Court bit got over a billion views.

My point is that people watch shit on YouTube because the video they decided to watch at that moment had randomly piqued their whim, or because the video had just randomly shown up as a "recommended for you" video. The WWE might still have original content that's exclusively on YouTube, but it's a wasted effort in my opinion. People seem to only go to YouTube when all other forms of media don't have anything new regarding things they actively care about.

Maybe just one guy really likes watching that Battle Royal over and over again, I wouldn't base the WWE's whole popularity on their youtube videos, As their official page isn't the only way to watch WWE content on youtube, I watch loads of WWE on youtube As I'm not currently subscribed to their network but I doubt very much of that has been from the WWE's official page and more likely others who just put it on their own youtube accounts.
Knowing WWE I wouldn't even be surprised if WWE somehow fixed the top videos to save it showing someone like Hogan or someone on bad terms with the company at the top

Most big companies dont really see youtube as something so relevant. For example Disney thinks all The Last Jedi hate on youtube is just a clickbait and therefore not relevant for their business. Not buying tickets and toys and complaining to them directly is relevant because they lose money and customers. Some guys on youtube wanting a click and sub are irrelevant.

Point is, WWE is no different. They probably like that Brock attacking Reigns is "generating a buzz" ahead of Wrestlemania but they dont really care if it has 2 million or 10 million of views. All they care is money and doubt that youtube clips really mean to them that much. Its pocket change to them. Network, ticket sales, merchandise that is what they care in grand order of things.

Now this is an interesting question

Here on site and on some other IWC smarks media its one situation. Go to youtube, Facebook and other media and you can see pretty big number of casuals there. They dont follow wrestling so passionately, they dont like what we as IWC like, heck lots of them isnt even aware its scripted so they are more invested and say stuff like "Oh Sasha, you are best friends with Bayley, just hug it out" and stuff like that(have Sasha Banks liked so read that comment of her Facebook page :p ). So its interesting perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back