WWE SmackDown 8/12: Allegedly a Huge Announcement

Cody winning the IC Title at the expense of Ted... Miz/Riley 2.0?

What's that? What are you trying to say

Oh, that was the highlight of my Smackdown viewership.

P.S. Kotre's right... He was elevated 0%; can't be buried.

History shows that people who get squashed in their debut dont have much success. Scotty Goldman, 123 Kid, Maven (I think?), Duane Gill and The Zombie

Yeah, that Daniel Bryan losing every week thing had me scratching my head. Still does, but hey, look at him now so its all good.

and the point here is: Don't predict a career trajectory based too early. See also: The 1-2-3 Kid/X-Pac.

But the difference between those other guys and Johnny Curtis, is that those guys were mainstays.

Bullshit, the Hardys were jobbers. So was The Brooklyn Brawler. Sticking around doesn't always = a push.

This was Johnny Curtis's debut, and they spent weeks of vignettes hyping him up for this? They couldn't of had Heath Slater get jobbed out?

He's a heel and if Curtis isn't a sack of shit he'll recover. He just got beaten by a guy out of his league. It happens See also: the 1-2-3 Kid/X-Pac.

I like Johnny Curtis. I think (contrary to what most think) that he's charismatic. I enjoy his wrestling style. He's shown that he can talk. But he was NOT buried. The concept of a "burial" doesn't happen with one incident. I still don't understand why people think that it does.

He was squashed, but if he's any good he'll come back from that.

Eh, DBD spent the rest of NXT getting squashed by everyone bar Gabriel and still came out of it looking great. Miz wasn't exactly given the star treatment in his early career either if I remember correctly.

Doesn't change the fact they weren't squashed in their debut match, which is what the debate is about.

History shows that people who get squashed in their debut dont have much success. Scotty Goldman, 123 Kid, Maven (I think?), Duane Gill and The Zombie

As Remix said, 123 Kid is X-Pac, aka Sean Walterman, aka has had a great career and made a shit ton of money in the WWE and WCW.

Maven eliminated The Undertaker from the Royal Rumble and got to feud with the Deadman, got to wrestle on PPVs, and even won the Hardcore championship three times.

Colt Cabana just didn't get used.

Duane Gill? The Zombie? Who are these fuckers? Did you ever think maybe they didn't have what it takes to get pushed?

Oh, Duane Gill is Gillberg, a guy who was always a complete joke, but still managed to have a halfway decent WWF career, even winning the Light Heavyweight Championship at one point. So... once again, not a failure.

By the way, Scotty Goldman wasn't squashed. He got in enough offence against Brian Kendrick for it not to be classed as a squash.

He's a heel and if Curtis isn't a sack of shit he'll recover. He just got beaten by a guy out of his league. It happens See also: the 1-2-3 Kid/X-Pac.

I didn't even know Johnny Curtis was supposed to be a face, his vignettes came off as kind of heelish. Scotty Goldman isn't a sack of shit and he didn't recover. I have no problem with Johnny Curtis getting squashed, it just seems like they went out of their way to do it. They could have gotten Trent Baretta, Heath Slater (No Means No) or some local kid. You remember a wrestler's debut for a long time. Thats the first impression, and Johnny Curtis's first impression leaves fans thinking is that he is a jobber.

Doesn't change the fact they weren't squashed in their debut match, which is what the debate is about.

As Remix said, 123 Kid is X-Pac, aka Sean Walterman, aka has had a great career and made a shit ton of money in the WWE and WCW.

Maven eliminated The Undertaker from the Royal Rumble and got to feud with the Deadman, got to wrestle on PPVs, and even won the Hardcore championship three times.

Colt Cabana just didn't get used.

Duane Gill? The Zombie? Who are these fuckers? Did you ever think maybe they didn't have what it takes to get pushed?

Oh, Duane Gill is Gillberg, a guy who was always a complete joke, but still managed to have a halfway decent WWF career, even winning the Light Heavyweight Championship at one point. So... once again, not a failure.

Some guy from WWECW

I think what he's trying to say, JGlass, is that they meant nothing because they were squashed on their debut. It's still a bad point, though. The Zombie could have won on his debut and still not have succeeded if he wasn't used right thereafter. The fact that he was called "The Zombie" probably wasn't helping, either.

Then how does he explain all the stars that made it big despite their lackluster debuts, such as Jeff Hardy?

I think what he's trying to say, JGlass, is that they meant nothing because they were squashed on their debut. It's still a bad point, though. The Zombie could have won on his debut and still not have succeeded if he wasn't used right thereafter. The fact that he was called "The Zombie" probably wasn't helping, either.

Its the Writers job to put the wrestlers in the best spots possible to succeed and its the wrestlers job to take the ball and roll with it. If Scotty Goldman got vignettes and was put over by others, the whole landscape of WWE may be different right now. Drew McIntyre got all of those things, but he didn't take the ball and run with it and look where he is now. Jinder Mahal also got all of those things and now look at him, the focus has been taken off of him to Khali.

Sure, The Zombie was a bad example. He was set up to fail, from the moment he put on that costume.

However, The Writers should put Johnny in the best possible spot to succeed, and if he has any talent, he will, if he doesn't, he won't. No big deal, plenty more where he came from.

I can't put my finger on it, but there is something about Johnny Curtis that I really like. I think he has "IT" and would make a great heel.

Its the Writers job to put the wrestlers in the best spots possible to succeed and its the wrestlers job to take the ball and roll with it. If Scotty Goldman got vignettes and was put over by others, the whole landscape of WWE may be different right now. Drew McIntyre got all of those things, but he didn't take the ball and run with it and look where he is now. Jinder Mahal also got all of those things and now look at him, the focus has been taken off of him to Khali.

Sure, The Zombie was a bad example. He was set up to fail, from the moment he put on that costume.

However, The Writers should put Johnny in the best possible spot to succeed, and if he has any talent, he will, if he doesn't, he won't. No big deal, plenty more where he came from.

I can't put my finger on it, but there is something about Johnny Curtis that I really like. I think he has "IT" and would make a great heel.

He sucks as a heel too.

Then how does he explain all the stars that made it big despite their lackluster debuts, such as Jeff Hardy?

Jeff Hardy was in the WWE, from a very young age, he had time to go from jobber to being in the Brood, to teaming with his brother, to being a mid-carder to being a World Champion.

And plus the fact that Michael PS Hayes, who Vince loves, was his mentor didn't hurt.

Now you're just proving yourself wrong, mr.ready, as it's been proven time and time again that one can succeed in wrestling without winning, like The Brooklyn Brawler.

This reminds me of how people were clamoring about Sheamus being buried in the months before WrestleMania. He was losing matches left and right and people were saying it was WWE's attempt to try to bury him, but it was really just a storyline losing streak that was used to freshen up his character... and it worked.

Perhaps by having Curtis be defeated by Mark Henry we'll see a new side of Curtis emerge next week when he faces off with a more realistic competitor, or maybe we'll see Curtis come back in a month or so to extract revenge on Mark Henry. Don't be so sure this was just the WWE's way of brushing Curtis off of TV.

Now you're just proving yourself wrong, mr.ready, as it's been proven time and time again that one can succeed in wrestling without winning, like The Brooklyn Brawler.

This reminds me of how people were clamoring about Sheamus being buried in the months before WrestleMania. He was losing matches left and right and people were saying it was WWE's attempt to try to bury him, but it was really just a storyline losing streak that was used to freshen up his character... and it worked.

Perhaps by having Curtis be defeated by Mark Henry we'll see a new side of Curtis emerge next week when he faces off with a more realistic competitor, or maybe we'll see Curtis come back in a month or so to extract revenge on Mark Henry. Don't be so sure this was just the WWE's way of brushing Curtis off of TV.

I don't consider just being on TV succeeding. I consider winning succeeding. Your right though, I shouldn't get all up in a uproar, in typical IWC fashion, without waiting things out. However, up until tonight, I didn't even know Johnny Curtis was supposed to be a face. We sat through weeks of bad puns, and that gave most the impression that he was going to be debuting as a heel.

And besides that, if Johnny Curtis is a face. He's portrayed as being a tough, witty guy from Boston so I didn't like the way he was looking so scared before facing Mark Henry. I know thats to sell how tough Mark Henry is, but Curtis is a fairly big guy (6'5, 240).

More than anything though, this reminds me of Dolph Ziggler's debut against Batista a few years ago, the difference is, that Dolph Ziggler actually got some offense in. The fact that Ziggler got some offense in, was an indication that WWE had plans for him. This time though, Curtis got squashed 1980's WWF Superstar's style

Everyone defines success in their own way, but wrestling is a career where only a select few succeed at the highest level, and even fewer succeed at all. Consider the fact that most wrestlers never even make it past the indy circuits, and you'll realize that just getting to appear on television with the WWE is more than most wrestlers will ever get, and getting to wrestle weekly is an even greater honor, even if you do lose every match.

If you had to choose between wrestling in front of crowds that barely reach the dozens, in high school gyms that you have to travel hundreds of miles to, with no guarantee of making more than a few buck, but getting to win... or wrestling in a major venue that you are able to fly to and getting paid a couple thousand dollars for, but losing... which would you choose?

Everyone defines success in their own way, but wrestling is a career where only a select few succeed at the highest level, and even fewer succeed at all. Consider the fact that most wrestlers never even make it past the indy circuits, and you'll realize that just getting to appear on television with the WWE is more than most wrestlers will ever get, and getting to wrestle weekly is an even greater honor, even if you do lose every match.

If you had to choose between wrestling in front of crowds that barely reach the dozens, in high school gyms that you have to travel hundreds of miles to, with no guarantee of making more than a few buck, but getting to win... or wrestling in a major venue that you are able to fly to and getting paid a couple thousand dollars for, but losing... which would you choose?

It would all depend on how financially secure I was. If I'm financially secure, I would much rather be a major player in ROH or in Impact Wrestling than a joke in the WWE. However, if I'm not financially secure, I would wait things out until I get financially secure and then bolt.

It would all depend on how financially secure I was. If I'm financially secure, I would much rather be a major player in ROH or in Impact Wrestling than a joke in the WWE. However, if I'm not financially secure, I would wait things out until I get financially secure and then bolt.

Forget about ROH and TNA, only a select few even make it that high. Most wrestlers are stuck in the CZWs and PWGs of the world. How many wrestlers with any ability in those promotions do you think are financially secure? The answer is not too fucking many when their main source of income is driving a truck or stocking groceries during the week, which they'll probably spend mostly on food, cost of living, and wrestling related purchases.

Forget about ROH and TNA, only a select few even make it that high. Most wrestlers are stuck in the CZWs and PWGs of the world. How many wrestlers with any ability in those promotions do you think are financially secure? The answer is not too fucking many when their main source of income is driving a truck or stocking groceries during the week, which they'll probably spend mostly on food, cost of living, and wrestling related purchases.

Damn. Your right. I would just be thankful to be on TV if I was in the WWE.

Pretty lame show this week honestly. Was nice to see Cody win the IC strap and the Sheamus/Christian match was solid enough until the finish. Everything else was really forgettable. Dull show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back