WWE putting the final nail in the TNA coffins with.....

LuChava

Dark Match Winner
Having Impact go head to head with WWE NXT on SyFy. Why not have their minor league just blow TNA out with not only with their talent, but production, story lines, and most importantly ratings.

I would have NXT have a yearly tournament with the winner moving up to Smackdown. NXT has been as interesting if not more than anything tna has had to offer in the past few years.

i don't think it put the final nail in tna coffin because tna will never die and im not saying that because im a fan (which im not) im saying that because spike want tna to stay around so yeah your kind of right tna will die but with dixie then it will be reborn when they sell it, and yes nxt is far better then impact and im enjoying it more then raw and smackdown

One reason why this probably won't be happening is that WWE isn't the least bit concerned about TNA and what's going on there in general. Why should WWE care? It's not as if TNA has ever been any sort of genuine threat to take the #1 spot away nor is the TNA brand have anywhere near the level of recognition or history that WCW had. As much as some have always lauded TNA as being in competition with WWE, it's never really been entirely accurate. Oh sure, TNA is technically a rival wrestling company, and is therefore competition by default. Unlike WCW, however, TNA isn't, nor has it ever been, taking money out of Vince's pocket. After all, WWE hasn't made any majorly radical alterations to its format or business practices in response to anything TNA has done whereas the Attitude Era came about almost as an act of desperation on Vince's part to fight back against the rise of WCW's popularity. In all honesty, TNA being the #2 wrestling promotion in the United States has only come about by default.

If WWE truly had any interest in "putting the final nail in TNA's coffin", one way they'd have tried to go about it was to relentlessly hound top TNA stars and raid its roster with big money offers to jump ship once their deals with TNA expired or for said stars to ask for their release. Years back, allegedly, WWE was interested in bringing in guys like AJ Styles, Matt Morgan, Bobby Roode and James Storm but they were all happy in TNA. Now they're either in their late 30s or starting to approach their late 30s and WWE's developmental program has improved by leaps & bounds since they last reached out to top TNA talent. As a result, the feeling among WWE officials is that they don't need to bring in former TNA talent as none of them, aside from guys who were already made into stars by WWE and/or WCW, are going to make that much of an impact. When it comes down to the numbers, TNA is still drawing in the very low 1s, often drawing under that these days, house shows regularly continue to draw well under 1,000 fans, ppv buys continue to reportedly be only a small fraction of what WWE ppvs do and that's how it's been for years now. WWE Main Event usually out draws Impact Wrestling and, for all intents and purposes, its overall format is almost identical to that of Superstars. WWE reasons if none of these wrestlers are a draw in TNA, then there's no real incentive to go after them at this point.

As far as NXT goes, while it's technically under the WWE umbrella, it generally operates within the confines of its own "universe" as WWE and TNA do. As a result, for the most part, it does seem like its a separate promotion. It has a different feel to it than either WWE or TNA and is packed with fresh talent that most audiences are unfamiliar with. If WWE is ultimately able to sign a US television deal for NXT, then there's a strong probability that it will take over the #2 spot from TNA even though, as I said, it's still technically under WWE's control.

Lots of problems with this:

1. Who says SyFy wants wrestling programs on back to back nights or even on a Thursday. SD is obviously a good show for SyFy but they need to keep reputation to please their Sci-Fi fan base. Another wrestling show changes that reputation.

2. Who says WWE wants to get their developmental talent that level of exposure? Right now NXT guys only get exposed to the most dedicated fan. It's a slow and loyal build of their fan base. Over exposure could really make it hard for these guys to get over in the long run.

3. I'm not even sure NXT could put much of a dent in Impact's ratings. Impact goes up against some of the top programs on TV and NFL football. If Big Bang Theory, American Idol, and Giants Bears don't put the final nail in the coffin I don't think Xavier Woods is going to do it.

If WWE really wanted to end TNA they would try to steal talent like Jack Hammer said. They haven't done that. It's kind of sad really.

Man. If I got payed for moderating and a dollar for every TNA Apocalypse thread that comes here, I could buy myself a very nice meal.

So let me get this straight. You want this totally new to TV product to compete with a program that gets steady ratings even when football, basketball and other major events are on? We have enough WWE on TV as it is. It would actually put people off to know there's more WWE around.

I suppose it would be interesting to see how the two compare in ratings but there are obvious problems. NXT is working as it is, with limited exposure and giving the superstars time to develop. Also, I don't think there is any desire from the WWE to finish of TNA. I'm sure if they really wanted, Vince would have found a way to hasten the process. TNA isn't damaging the WWE in any way so killing them would be a nothing move.

1. Who says SyFy wants wrestling programs on back to back nights or even on a Thursday. SD is obviously a good show for SyFy but they need to keep reputation to please their Sci-Fi fan base. Another wrestling show changes that reputation.
I would almost guarantee if WWE offered another show to SyFy they'd snap it up in a heartbeat. Smackdown is far and away the greatest ratings draw that network has ever had. A chance to have two actually decent ratings on their network? Yeah, I'm pretty sure they'd go for it. See, you actually NEED a reputation for that reputation to change. All 12 of the people watching B-horror reruns will get over it. But that's just one person's opinion. I have no idea what SyFy executives are thinking.

2. Who says WWE wants to get their developmental talent that level of exposure? Right now NXT guys only get exposed to the most dedicated fan. It's a slow and loyal build of their fan base. Over exposure could really make it hard for these guys to get over in the long run.
This I definitely agree with. NXT could be in empty arenas and WWE couldn't care. It's about having a show that teaches the rookies and converts how to play int he major leagues. It's not about the exposure. But that being said, some really good people came out of ECW when it was their third "developmental" TV brand. John Morrison, The Miz, CM Punk, etc.

3. I'm not even sure NXT could put much of a dent in Impact's ratings. Impact goes up against some of the top programs on TV and NFL football. If Big Bang Theory, American Idol, and Giants Bears don't put the final nail in the coffin I don't think Xavier Woods is going to do it.
Hey...Xavier Woods is coming to the main roster bro.

If WWE really wanted to end TNA they would try to steal talent like Jack Hammer said. They haven't done that. It's kind of sad really.
Yeah...they don't care about TNA. Not one bit. TNA isn't on WWE's radar. Shows like The Voice, Kardashian Bullshit, and Dancing with the Stars are on WWE's radar, because they actually have similar ratings and viewership shares.

I think the new social media ratings for Raw are pretty telling of their problems expanding. WWE wasn't even on the list for Monday Night Raw the past two weeks, but Raw still had WAY more tweets than the #10-6 spots on the list. But the thing was, even though Raw had twice or three times as many total tweets during the night than some of the other shows it went up against, those tweets were reached by far fewer people. Not that this is at all relevant to the point, but as logn as we're talking TV ratings, I thought it was a fun fact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back