Wrestling Spam Zone Heated Debate (Currently serving up WWE Hall of Fame)

But it's an example to show that being a fan of a wrestler doesn't mean you should superimpose upon him quality far beyond his means.

As is Danielson. :shrug:

You're missing the point though. Xfear asked why it was a bad thing to be a mark. My point is that it's okay to be a fan, but be realistic about it.

The whole Nexus angle isn't going to end by putting Bryan Danielson over. If you're going to put someone over, put someone who can actually do something with it. That was my point.

To be honest, I'm really not that familiar with Bryan Danielson's work. I don't watch the indies at all and I didn't really follow season 1 of NXT all that much either. So maybe I've gotten caught up in the IWC (and Doc's) fascination with Danielson. A lot of people on these forums, though, are avid fans of professional wrestling in general, and there seems to be a strong consensus on here that he's something special. Maybe he is, maybe he's not, hopefully he'll be given an opportunity (at SS or later) to show me one way or the other and let me decide.

I don't think it's about ending the Nexus angle by putting Danielson over. It's about continuing the angle by adding another component to the cohesive faceless unit that is the Nexus, adding another layer to the equation, and therefore putting several guys over, Danielson included. Can Danielson alone be a big deal? I'm not sure yet. But it could be an interesting way of finding out.

He's hardly the world's greatest wrestler. I just really enjoy his work. And to say he has no personality is ridiculous.

Sometimes you don't need a big name like Triple H. Sometimes it's nice to have logic in storylines, you know? It'd still be a shocker, and it would fit with the story and work well whichever direction they could go, whether it be keeping him face to take the US Championship off of Miz or betraying Cena and joining Nexus. Heck, he could take that championship even if he did join Nexus, citing a loophole in the GM's proclamation that none of them can go for a title until however long it was, in that he wasn't a part of Nexus at the time or something.

I'm just saying that this is what would make sense given the factors I listed. I also said it isn't going to happen, so, yeah.

To be honest, I'm really not that familiar with Bryan Danielson's work. I don't watch the indies at all and I didn't really follow season 1 of NXT all that much either. So maybe I've gotten caught up in the IWC (and Doc's) fascination with Danielson. A lot of people on these forums, though, are avid fans of professional wrestling in general, and there seems to be a strong consensus on here that he's something special. Maybe he is, maybe he's not, hopefully he'll be given an opportunity (at SS or later) to show me one way or the other and let me decide.
Danielson is a run of the mill wrestler, that indy fans go ga-ga over because he used to do a bunch of chain wrestling, as if that had anything to do with how good of a wrestler he was. Then again, on the whole, the wrestling IQ of the IWC is much less than the general public. They just think they know wrestling better because they read Internet dirt sheets and know the names of moves.

Make no mistake about it, Danielson is mostly hype and his in-ring work doesn't begin to back it up. It's kind of like CM Punk...everyone sung his praises, and then when he got to the WWE, you saw just how far behind he really was. Punk still hasn't put on a match of any memorable note.

He's hardly the world's greatest wrestler. I just really enjoy his work. And to say he has no personality is ridiculous.

Sometimes you don't need a big name like Triple H. Sometimes it's nice to have logic in storylines, you know? It'd still be a shocker, and it would fit with the story and work well whichever direction they could go, whether it be keeping him face to take the US Championship off of Miz or betraying Cena and joining Nexus. Heck, he could take that championship even if he did join Nexus, citing a loophole in the GM's proclamation that none of them can go for a title until however long it was, in that he wasn't a part of Nexus at the time or something.

I don't care about your personal feelings on Danielson. I'm just saying that this is what would make sense given the factors I listed. I also said it isn't going to happen, so, yeah.

World's greatest technical wrestler. In my opinion.

I wouldn't even go that far. He's hardly the best anything in the world, I just really like the guy. He has a great personality, really nice guy, and I find him entertaining on the mic and ring.

I wouldn't even go that far. He's hardly the best anything in the world, I just really like the guy. He has a great personality, really nice guy, and I find him entertaining on the mic and ring.

His in ring ability is splendid, he is great. Have you watched his Indy stuff?

No, the world's greatest technical wrestler would be Kurt Angle. The thing is, and I have explained this oh about 10,238 times now, the amount of moves you know or how good on a mat you are means nothing. If it did, William Regal vs. Dean Malenko would have headlined about 9 Wrestlemanias in a row. What matters is entertainment, which is why guys like Austin, Hogan and Cena, all of whom have incredibly limited movesets, are some of the biggest stars of all time and have made far more money for themselves and their companies than guys like Bret and Shawn.

Of course I have. I'm just not going to get caught up in the other hype about how he's the best in the world and all that. I will form my own opinion of him...and my own opinion is that I love him.

No, the world's greatest technical wrestler would be Kurt Angle. The thing is, and I have explained this oh about 10,238 times now, the amount of moves you know or how good on a mat you are means nothing. If it did, William Regal vs. Dean Malenko would have headlined about 9 Wrestlemanias in a row. What matters is entertainment, which is why guys like Austin, Hogan and Cena, all of whom have incredibly limited movesets, are some of the biggest stars of all time and have made far more money for themselves and their companies than guys like Bret and Shawn.

Also, this.

I just find it strange that you seemingly have a problem with Doc wanting to see one of his personal favorite wrestlers succeed. Not like Doc was saying "If the WWE wants to make HUGE MONEY they'll bring back Danielson for this!", he was just saying he'd love to see it turn out to be him, even though he knows it's unlikely.

Put away your garsh-darned Danielson hatred for a few minutes kind sir.

Explain what?

Oh really? How come?
I've watched his Indy stuff, that's how I know he's shit. :shrug:

No, the world's greatest technical wrestler would be Kurt Angle. The thing is, and I have explained this oh about 10,238 times now,
And I was saying it before you. :thumbsup:

Kurt Angle is a great mat wrestler, the best mat wrestler. Sure. But I think Danielson is the best technical guy, give him another 5 years and he'll be even better. Malenko - Regal, great match, but no star power. Danielson can actually bring some star power to the table.

Kurt Angle is a great mat wrestler, the best mat wrestler. Sure. But I think Danielson is the best technical guy, give him another 5 years and he'll be even better. Malenko - Regal, great match, but no star power. Danielson can actually bring some star power to the table.

Can I get a "missed the point" meme please?

Another five years? He's been wrestling for over a decade already. What star power would he bring? He's headlined at a bunch of high school gyms for the last ten years, but has done nothing at the big leagues. I've seen a lot of minor league baseball stars fail in the majors. Danielson needs to prove himself in the majors and he hasn't done it yet.

Can I get a "missed the point" meme please?

broken_pencil.jpg

No, the world's greatest technical wrestler would be Kurt Angle.

No, no, no, noooooo. Angle is the classic example of a formula worker in the vein of Bret Hart, another vastly overrated "technical" wrestler. Angle runs the same 4-5 spots in basically every single match he wrestles, he doesn't utilize anywhere near the psychology or workrate inside of the ring as Danielson does, shit just a few weeks ago Danielson wrestled a better technical match in CHIKARA against Tim Donst than Kurt Angle has wrestled since his first encounter with Nigel/Desmond. I'm a big Angle mark, but Danielson can outwork Angle, he can work a crowd better, and he can utilize psychology inside of a ring better than most wrestlers on the planet.

The thing is, and I have explained this oh about 10,238 times now, the amount of moves you know or how good on a mat you are means nothing. If it did, William Regal vs. Dean Malenko would have headlined about 9 Wrestlemanias in a row. What matters is entertainment, which is why guys like Austin, Hogan and Cena, all of whom have incredibly limited movesets, are some of the biggest stars of all time and have made far more money for themselves and their companies than guys like Bret and Shawn.

Who said anything about how many moves Danielson knows? That's irrelevant. Danielson knows how to work a crowd and a match, and he can play the heel or face role brilliantly if given the chance, and those are the only things that matter inside of a wrestling ring as you yourself just basically said.

Explain what?

Oh really? How come?
I've watched his Indy stuff, that's how I know he's shit. :shrug:

And I was saying it before you. :thumbsup:

Really, shit? He puts on great matches, and has received the "Best Technical Wrestler" award 5 times, "Most Outstanding Wrestler" 4 times, "Most Outstanding Wrestler of the Decade", that is in no way shit.

Another five years? He's been wrestling for over a decade already. What star power would he bring? He's headlined at a bunch of high school gyms for the last ten years, but has done nothing at the big leagues. I've seen a lot of minor league baseball stars fail in the majors. Danielson needs to prove himself in the majors and he hasn't done it yet.

He continues to get better, he devotes a lot of time training. He'll be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back