• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Wrestling autobiographies

IT Factor

IT happens!
I just finished Bret Hart's autobiography "Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling". And while I do admit that Bret seems to be abit of a mark for himself, it was an interesting and overall inspirational read. It was funny, concise, and informative. I do believe that most people mistake Bret's pride in his work as arrogance or "marking out" for himself. Any successful champion in wrestling has to first believe in themselves before anyone could buy into them as characters. Bret seems to geniuenely care about his fans and wanted to really leave a great legacy behind.

With that said, I've also read alot of wrestling autobiographies. I've read Stone Cold's, The Rock's[although not even a full chapter, since he kept alternating between in character and out, confusing the hell outta the readers], Ric Flair's, Eddie Guerrero's, and Shawn Michaels' stories. It is definetely interesting to read Shawn's autobiography and compare how he feels about Montreal to Bret's view. I liked Austin's book because he didn't come across as bitter or selfish. Which leads me to Ric Flair. Flair has to be the most selfish, bitter, insecure, and overall childish character to ever produce a book about himself. He spends the majority of his time bitching about supposed wrongs done to him and knocking other wrestlers as subpar and not worthy of being in his league. If it's even possible, I believe Flair is even more a mark for himself than Bret ever could've been. At least from what Bret tells us, he seems willing to help other talents and wants to put them over. Flair spends long lengths of times in his book ranting about other wrestlers and badmouthing them. The only people he compliments are those he is outright kissing ass to[such as HBK, Triple H, or Vince McMahon]. I could not even read an entire chapter of The Rock's book because he wasn't being consistent switching between in-character as The Rock or being out of character as Dwayne Johnson. I have also read both of Chris Jericho's books and loved both. Jericho has alot of funny stories to tell and does it in such a way to not bore the reader.

As a fan, I love reading about wrestlers and their backstories. When you read these books, you realize that these larger than life characters are just regular people who happen to be famous. While some personalities are more delusional than others, each one has a unique story and their own set of experiences and humorous occurances. The only book I have left to check out are the Foley books, which I have read alot of positive reviews about. I never really wanted to check out Hulk Hogan's book, although it may have funny stories too. Who's books have any of you read?

Add in Eddies book as being very enjoyable. What a great come back story he had. He seemed like a geniune good hearted person.

Shawns book was my favorite wrestling book. Its amazing how he could go from the biggest dick in the business to such a great guy. Another great story. I dont think he holds much back in this book.

Everyone seems to enjoy Brets book. I think that should be my next read. Although I think this book was written at a bad time in Brets life where he was pretty bitter. Id like to see another Bret book now that hes at peace.

You sold me Flairs book just because it sounds funny as hell. You gotta take it for what its worth. I dont think there is much difference between Ric Flair the person and Ric Flair the wrestler. I am a big Flair fan, you cant deny he loves the business and was damn good.

I am a huge wrestling fan, but as far as reading goes when I get the time to read it is mostly fiction. I feel like I should read more of these autobiographies, but as of now I have read Jericho's second, Hogan's, Flair's, Austin, and DX. Huge DX fan, but I remember liking that one the least. Jericho's is by far my favorite. He has tons of funny stories, and I almost couldn't put it down. Hearing his feelings on Benoit is interesting to. Is there one that is a must read that I am missing?

I have not read any autobiographies except just one, Mick Foley's Hardcore Diaries. I'm just too lazy to go out and find autobiographies to read. Was working in a store a few years ago, and I saw that they had The Hardcore Diaries on the shelf, so I decided to nab a copy and read a few chapters everyday in my break without anyone catching me. Anyway, The Hardcore Diaries was one hell of a read. It's all about the events leading up to ECW One Night Stand 2006, and Mick goes into great detail, explaining how politics & creative work backstage, and what a wrestler must go through to get their ideas on television. He tells some great stories that'll get you crying, such as his time in Afghanistan for Tribute To The Troops, and some that will get you laughing. He also discusses events that took place after his last autobiography, one of them being his release by the WWE and how he almost joined TNA. And he speaks of his plans to get Melina over in their storyline after One Night Stand, and some ideas he suggested to creative, such as facing John Cena at Summerslam that year for the WWE Title & one hilarious segment before One Night Stand where Vince would try and get Terry Funk to join the Kiss My Ass club, and as Terry is about to pucker up, he bites out a chunk of Vince's ass instead lol. I would've loved to have seen that segment & Cena vs. Foley at Summerslam. Mick should be on creative, he's so underrated. Hardcore Diaries is a great book and I see why Mick is a best selling author. I should stop being a lazy fuck and go out & buy more autobiographies, I'm missing out on a lot.

I normally prefer to watch the DVD's, I'm not much of a reader. If you have Netflix, or extra cash, i'd recommend checking out the Shawn Micheals vs Bret Hart greatest rivalry DVD. Really good watch. It's basically just a sit down interview with HBK, Hart, and JR. Good stuff.

The only book I read was Brock Lesnar's. I'm a big fan of his work in WWE and UFC, so I wanted to check it out. It was interesting to read about his time in between WWE and UFC. It's worth a look.

Finally a topic I feel I can chime in on. I too have read at least 25 wrestling biographies. They are pretty much the only books I read. It was interesting to read Bret's book and then Shawn's and see the slight differences in the Montreal screwjob from their points-of-view. But when it all comes down to it, there's only one biography that I cannot wait for, I hope he does one, and it's a long book, and that would be The Undertaker. Some of the stories that this guy must have I can only begin to imagine.

I've read a lot of wrestlers' books and most of them are pretty good. The ones I've read include:

Molck Foley's books
The Rock (didn't like it when he wrote in character, as his promos don't pack the same punch on the printed page)
Steve Austin
Ric Flair
Jesse Ventura (he didn't go into much depth about his wrestling career, though)
Jerry Lawler (loved reading about the Memphis territory days)
Kurt Angle (liked reading about his training and competing in the 1996 Olympics)
Edge (had some trouble with it, because he refers to everyone by their real names, and sometimes I didn't know who he was talking about)
Arn Anderson
Gary Michael Capetta
Goldberg
Diamond Dallas Page
Fabulous Moolah
Triple H (every other chapter is bodybuilding and workout-related)
Shawn Michaels
Bret Hart
Diana Hart - she's Bret's sister and was Davey Boy Smith's wife
Chris Jericho (second book, covering his WWE years)
Road Warrior Animal
Ted DiBiase

I haven't read many wrestler books, the ones I have read are....

Chyna: If They Only Knew (Didn't enjoy it at all, she seemed to cry too much about men and stuff. Oh boohoo, they thought i was a man, blah blah blah)

The Stone Cold Truth
Mick Foley: Have A Nice Day
Mick Foley: The Hardcore Diaries
Lita: A Less Traveled ROAD
Hollywood Hulk Hogan's

They were all good reads, except for Chyna's. I kept getting irritated with what she had to say about everything. I do want and need Jericho's two books. A friend of mine read the first one and said it was really good.

I agree. Ric Flair achieved so much. Then he went to tell his story and it was bitter and angry. It was pathetic.

I liked Bret Harts book - it was candid - the most candid probably.

I also enjoyed Mick Foleys books - especially his very first. I enjoyed Shawn Michaels's book and I like Y2J's books - cannot wait for part 3. Goldust's book was short and it came across as more of a statement of facts - bullet pointing events. It was a good book.

I am just re-reading brets book and about to get to the section on motreal again later today. I like this book most as Bret was and is my favourite wrestler ever.

I've re-read Bret's book so many times, especially from the early 90s on because that was my favorite time in the WWF. Same with Shawn's book, though I thought it followed the DVD very closely where as Bret's had way more detail. I'd like to see a book by other guys in the WWF from the early to mid-90s to tell about the Kliq, backstage politics, etc., through other eyes looking in,

Nobody seems to have thrown it in yet, but I just finished Controversy Creates Cash by Eric Bischoff and found it a fascinating read. Not only does it come from the other side of the wrestling world (business and production) but also from the losing side of the Monday Night Wars. It gave a great perspective into the problems of WCW and a little closer viewing into people like Hogan, Flair, and obviously Bischoff himself. Good read.

I've also read the Mick Foley books, theyr pretty good, Both Jerichos (preffering the first) and Walking a Golden Mile by Regal and i've enjoyed each of them.

I love reading Wrestling Autobiographies, I'm very interested in them as just as much of the DVD's. I love Bret's book, it's actually my favorite book of all time. Bret tell's what is on his mind and don't hold back. Also, he told the truth, On the Bret and Shawn DVD that came out last year, Bret never changed one of his stories, he said to Shawn what he wrote in the book. I love Bischoff's book, I am a big Bischoff fan and i love his side of the story. I also love Foley's books, he knows how to entertain the readers.

I really hated Ric Flair's book, one of the worst book's i ever read.

I've re-read Bret's book so many times, especially from the early 90s on because that was my favorite time in the WWF. Same with Shawn's book, though I thought it followed the DVD very closely where as Bret's had way more detail. I'd like to see a book by other guys in the WWF from the early to mid-90s to tell about the Kliq, backstage politics, etc., through other eyes looking in,

I was particularly impressed with how Bret didn't pull any punches about his family life. He had alot of the book devoted to showing people just how dysfunctional the Hart clan has been. Whether it was the fiasco about Owen's death and subsequent family breakup or his marriage, Bret details everything honestly and candidly. It was sad reading about how different family members had a falling out over Owen's death and wanted to financially profit from it. It was also sad reading about how Jeff Jarrett was the first guy to wrestle immediately after Owen's accident and how they wheeled Owen's lifeless body by Jarrett, rushing him out to wrestle. Jarrett was crying the whole match and I thought it was particularly cruel how Bret recounted Martha Hart's lawyers prying into Owen's personal life, questioning Jarrett about any affairs Owen possibly might have had.

For any critics of Bret's account, he details numerous past examples of McMahon lying to not only him but other talents as well. He also gets into the backstage events directly leading to the Montreal screwjob. The part that really struck me was how Bret told Shawn he was willing to drop the WWF Title to him. Shawn replied that he was appreciative but wasn't willing to do the same for Bret. Alot of Bret's peers have blasted him, claiming he is a mark for himself. I find that not only ironic, but ridiculous. Every wrestler to ever be a success in pro wrestling has believed in their own hype to a certain degree. I was particularly touched by Bret's love for Owen and real grief over his death. Not just Owen, but also his father Stu; mother Helen and numerous wrestler deaths seem to have affected Bret and taken a toll on him. His stroke is also covered, which is inspirational for anyone dealing with the same affliction. He truly seems at peace with himself after his recovery although at the time the book was produced, he still harbored bad feelings towards Vince, HHH, and HBK. It's also very telling about Montreal that The Undertaker and Mick Foley both had words with McMahon about what happened. It is revealed that Taker actually kicked down the door to Vince's office before Vince came to talk to Bret about what happened. Which is where "Wrestling with Shadows" picked up showing McMahon and his cronies staggering out of the locker room after Vince was KO'ed by Bret.

It's also telling about some of wrestling's past top stars. I was taken aback at Bret's recounting of a Make-A-Wish kid dressed up like Ultimate Warrior and waiting to meet him all day with his parents, only to have Warrior blow them off and not meet them. Just little occurances like those are interesting to read about and give you some idea about how different guys in wrestling truly are. In the end, I'm glad that Bret settled his difference with WWE, Vince, and Michaels. I'd like to see another Hitman book, detailing his return to WWE and how everything between he & McMahon/HBK were different afterwards. Bret's various road stories and life experiences make a great read and anyone who hasn't checked the book out are doing themselves a great disservice by not reading about perhaps one of the best wrestling performers of all-time.

I'm a fan of Bret. Haven't read his book yet. Used to go to a ton of house shows back in the day when Bret was on top and because he was on top. I think it's pretty much impossible for a guy who made it as far as Bret did to not come across as arrogant or bragging a little bit because he did accomplish a lot and professional athletes need to believe they are the best to perform at that level. I know in the things I do, I can come across as arrogant to people who don't understand where I'm coming from, but the truth is the truth. I think the problem is when wrestlers start to live their characters, and I don't think Bret ever fell into that trap.

I've read Foley's first book, on a recommendation from an old friend a long time ago. Great book. I really enjoyed Dynamite Kid's book as well. I read Piper's book and Heenan's book(I think he has two) ten years back. Not bad. I'm actually in the middle of one right now, but it's a bit under the radar. I'm reading the autobiography of Stan "The Lariat" Hansen, which I've been enjoying quite a bit, and is worth a read for those familiar with him. Lots of stories from Japan, of course, but also of traveling the territories in the 70s, how Vince Sr. and he did not get along, crossing paths with Hogan, Andre and many others along the way before the big boom happened. Good stuff.

Favourite three would be Bret, Foley's first and Bischoffs. I found them to be the most even handed, for all Bret comes across like a mark for himself at times I found in the book that he was very open about his flaws as a human being. Foley's one is just great and Bischoff's is very interesting.

The Rock's is awful, truly, truly awful. Flair's one shows exactly what type of a guy he is, something you see in interviews with him time and time again. The guy kisses the ass of whoever can get him his next deal or whoever he wants something off. In his book it's Triple H and Vince, when he went to TNA it was Hogan and Bischoff (both of who he blasts in this book), he probably said ICP were a very under-rated tag team just to get on the Juggalos card. The guy is just pathetic and it comes across here.

Look at how he describes things about Bret being a champion. He says Bret never drew money, which is an absurd comment, particularly from an NWA guy that could be argued isn't as big a star as Bret (I mention NWA because if Bret is a bigger star, and I think he is, it has a lot to do with him being with Vince and the WWF).

But anyway, he says Bret was a lousy champion because gates were down from Hogan's era and the TV ratings weren't great and that's all that matters when you're champ. You could at least take that point, even if you don't agree with it, were it not for him saying a few pages later that HBK was a great champion (for those who don't know gates, merch sales and ratings slipped more under HBK's reign than Bret's).

The guy is just an idiot, a washed up, broke idiot who is bitter about it not being the 1980s anymore

Nobody seems to have thrown it in yet, but I just finished Controversy Creates Cash by Eric Bischoff and found it a fascinating read. Not only does it come from the other side of the wrestling world (business and production) but also from the losing side of the Monday Night Wars. It gave a great perspective into the problems of WCW and a little closer viewing into people like Hogan, Flair, and obviously Bischoff himself. Good read.

I've also read the Mick Foley books, theyr pretty good, Both Jerichos (preffering the first) and Walking a Golden Mile by Regal and i've enjoyed each of them.

I've wanted to read Bischoff's book for a while. I'll definitely check it out if you say its good. Also want to give Regal's a go but I've had a hard time finding it.

I haven't read all of Bret's book, but I agree with OP, he is a bit of a mark for himself, but he is totally open about everything.

Kurt Angle's book was okay from what I remember, but I read it back in 7th grade so I would have been like 12. I plan on rereading it.

Shawn Michael's book wasn't bad, but much like Bret being a mark for himself, Shawn is biased toward himself.

I currently have all of Foley's books being shipped, along with Jericho's first book, and Jerry Lawler's, got them all off ebay.

One book that I picked up because I'm a fan of both guys and ended up enjoying was Shawn and Triple H's DX book.

I'm VERY particular about he autobiographies I read and the DVD's I watch. Aside from Golddust book I seldom ever read a book of a wrestler who is still employed by WWE. I mean how honest can you be when your employer is standing over your shoulder? Two autobiographies that go hand in hand without trying to do it would be Tom Billington and Bret Hart's books.

Bret's book is probably one of the best ones out there. It's very telling about the person he is. Bret Hart and his character are one and the same. He believes he's is that cowboy with the white horse and white hat riding in to do the right thing. I will not read the Diana Hart or Bruce Hart books because they have a need to be famous.

Next to Bret's book I would have to say my fave would be the autobography of Kris Klucsarits. All of his life all he wanted was to be a wrestler. He was happy with every opportunity he got. As I read it I didn't want it to end because I knew how it would end. Don't sleep on this one.

"Foley Is Good" was an extremely good read; I enjoyed it more than "Have A Nice Day". I've read Chyna's book and enjoyed it, as well as Hogan's, Flair's, and Rock's. Stone Cold's book read as being very forthright, especially his early years growing up and playing at North Texas. Bischoff's "Controversy Creates Cash" I found decent in his rise from his AWA days. I do want to read Bret and Jericho's books. Probably my favorites would be Eddie Guererro and "Foley Is Good".

You guys know The Rock's book wasn't actually written by The Rock, right? It's been known since it came out that the book was ghostwritten, made because WWE saw the popularity of Foley's book & thought their biggest star should have one, too. But The Rock didn't have the talent or the time to write a whole book about himself, so it was completely written by another person.

Anyways, I agree with whoever brought up Controversy Creates Cash -- this an amazing read, one that provided a look at the business side of wrestling from someone who essentially came into wrestling as a stranger. Both of Jericho's books are great & I might be in the minority when I say I enjoyed Hulk Hogan's a lot, too.

Bret's book is probably the most detailed history of any superstar's life that you could find, but his personal feelings and being such a mark for himself made it hard for to me enjoy. Yes, he's honest about his family, about his & other people's issues with drugs and about his affairs. But it never seems like he's honest to himself. Whether it's stuff when he was a kid or stuff in the wrestling business, Bret always paints himself a better portrait than anyone else. Other guys borrow finishes, concept or spots from Bret and they're thieves, but if he borrows a finish or spot and uses it, it's fine. Shawn Michaels is a "boy toy" for having long hair, but Bret has long hair. Bret can criticize people's family or personality, but if they do it back, it's out of bounds. It's just very hypocritical and I found it hard to sympathize with him a lot.

Foley's books are good, but if you read all four of them in a short span of time, you definitely notice both the writing quality and the quality of the stories he's telling diminishes.

William Regal's book was awesome.

Any of the WWE released autobiographies are crap for the most part, kissing the companies ass and not being factual. Foleys first Flairs book is about the only WWE release that is reasonably fair and even from both sides. Bret Harts book, Chris Jerichos first two, DDP's book, all classic reads. Foleys first book is legendary. If you want a fucking good belly laugh, grab a copy of Tito Santanas book, if you think Flair is bitter, Santana is incredible. He claims in 1992 that Vince was going to go with him, as the Matador as the WWE champion to lead the new generation. Santana, who is as old as Hogan and Savage, guys Vince was moving away from, to go with a fucking Bullfighter bahahahahahahahhaah, the dates of his title reigns are amiss and his general opinion of anything is so far tongue up Vinces ass its hysterical

Most all of the autobiographies listed are very good. One that I haven't seen mentioned which I enjoyed was Diamond Dallas Page's. As someone else posted it's hard for a lot of the WWE books to be any good seeing as they are looking over your shoulder. The one book I haven't read that I would like to is Tom "Dynamite Kid" Billington's book.

The danger with wrestling AB's is that they can sometimes just come across as extended promos or shoots in print. Flair's fell into that category, so did Rocks in the main (It would be really interesting to see another one now, covering the Hollywood years too).

While Foley was the progenator, Jericho has surpassed everyone as the best out there as he is able to put enough of his personality, humor and experience into it while telling a story as well as many pro authors.

Should all wrestlers write a book, hell no... but some definately should but outside the WWE banner... Imagine how Undertaker's will turn out (once he's retired of course), CM Punk would probably have a very enticing tale to tell and when Paul Heyman finally decides to write one you know it's gonna be good.

Top 5 would be

1: Both Jericho books (treat them as one long book)
2: Bret Hart (agree he is a bit self-indulgent in it, but on the whole a good read)
3: Jerry Lawler (very tame and doesn't cover some of the more salacious stuff but worth reading for the Kaufman stuff)
4: Dynamite Kid (very bitter but good to get a different perspective on the Harts and WWE)
5: Ric Flair - It makes the list because the early stuff is very interesting, particularly about his childhood.

Books I want to see but never will -

1) Brian Pillman - How good would his book have been? How many feathers would have been ripped out?
2) Randy Savage - Why he never did one I'll never know, but again I think Randy would have had a good shot at a bestseller if he had.
3) Vince McMahon - He's never gonna be gone from WWE, they'll cart him out in a box...and while he is there (and Linda wants politics) he's never gonna put pen to paper.
4) Shane McMahon - The tale of growing up in the circus, wanting to be a wrestler, not being allowed and then finally getting his shot... It's the kinda tale anyone would want to read. Add in the McMahon factor and I REALLY want to see this.
5) Owen Hart - Sadly we will never see Owen's perspective on so many issues, only other peoples.

I've read a number of them too, and would love to have a complete library however difficult that could prove.

I've read some of the most mentioned on here, namely Bret, Foley, and Jericho. Also read King's, Rock's, Angle's, Chyna's back in the day, Martha Hart's Broken Hearts.

I have a few I have not read yet, I have Dynamite's, Eddie's, just found Flair's at a Goodwill so grabbed it just to see what people have mentioned (the ego thing) not because I necessarily wanted it. Hell, I also lucked into an autographed copy of "Wrestling with Rhyme" by the Genius Lanny Poffo (signed by both him and Randy). Also want to get DDP's, Goldust's, and Regal's.

A couple that did not get enough mention were Roddy Piper's and Heenan's. Those were great. To answer the question, yes, Heenan has two books.

There are so many books out there now, and I want to get some of the more obscure ones such as the Hansen one mentioned previously, Arn's, Adrian Street's, Bill Watt's, Moolah's, Superstar Billy Graham's, Blackjack Mulligan's, Sammartino's, etc. etc.

Good call on the Santana one, I never knew he had one out.

Edit: Here's a link if anybody's interested with a huge list of autobios. http://prowrestling.about.com/od/autobiographies/Autobiographies.htm Also has a little description about them.

I've also read alot of wrestling autobiographies. I've read Stone Cold's, The Rock's[although not even a full chapter, since he kept alternating between in character and out, confusing the hell outta the readers], Ric Flair's, Eddie Guerrero's, and Shawn Michaels' stories. It is definetely interesting to read Shawn's autobiography and compare how he feels about Montreal to Bret's view. I liked Austin's book because he didn't come across as bitter or selfish. Which leads me to Ric Flair. Flair has to be the most selfish, bitter, insecure, and overall childish character to ever produce a book about himself. He spends the majority of his time bitching about supposed wrongs done to him and knocking other wrestlers as subpar and not worthy of being in his league. If it's even possible, I believe Flair is even more a mark for himself than Bret ever could've been. At least from what Bret tells us, he seems willing to help other talents and wants to put them over. Flair spends long lengths of times in his book ranting about other wrestlers and badmouthing them. The only people he compliments are those he is outright kissing ass to[such as HBK, Triple H, or Vince McMahon]. may have funny stories too."

I have no idea what book from Ric Flair that you read. I read that book when it came out and found it a fascinating read, telling in depth stories about how hard it was to train and break into the business in the 70s, how much pressure was put on wrestlers back in then to maintain their on TV personnas in public (the NWA didnt want all the wrestlers names published in newspapers accounts of the plane crash that nearly killed Flair because their were fan favorites on the flight who in the storylines never would have associated with villains like Flair and Johnny Valentine), gave trememdous background to the business decissions being made by both Jim Crockett & Vince McMahon when they were both expanding nationally and fighting over control of the US wrestling market in the mid 80s, not too mention personal stories about his first wife and children, the hardships of his travel schedule on his children, how he overcompensated when he got older and wrestled less, as well as his role in recruiting Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage into WCW (Hogan basically confirms Flair's account of his recruitment in his autobiography).

As far as criticizing other wrestlers, there isnt much, and quite honestly most of what he does say critical is stuff we've heard a hundred times from other books, wrestler's biographies, industry insider exposes, etc. Flair gives huge props to Dusty Rhodes for buidling his character in the 80s and as a creative booker (the criticism that Dusty too often favorably booked himself has been written numerous times before by others), he puts over Brett Hart as a talented in ring performer capabale of putting on great matches at big shows and blames much of his failures on lousy booking in both WWE & WCW (he admitts he didnt see Brett as a larger than life personality like Hogan or Savage but the list of people who have praised Hart's in ring ability and criticized his charisma or lack thereof is a mile long), he has numerous compliments for Savage as both a top draw and as a performer (the story about Savage asking to "practice" their upcoming match was something Steamboat said about him in reference to their matches in interviews a few years before this book was published), Flair does nothing but praise Sting's growth through the years as a legit star and talks about going to bat for him to be champion in 1990 when WCW wanted to downgrade him after getting injured at a TV special, Flair praises Luger for his intelligence (believe it or not) and his willingness to educate the other wrestlers on financial matters relating to house show payments, etc becaue of his knowledge of contracts and payouts from his pro football days, portrays Hogan as an extremely savvy business man and praises him significantly for his work with the Make A Wish Foundation, details his dealings wih Vince Russo and while explaining his differences with him creatively praises him as guy who keeps his word and always tried to be honest with him, particulary when Russo granted Flair time off for shoulder surgery and WCW tried to stop paying him (he said Russo guaranteed he would get paid while off, when he complained, Russo apologised and got him his money back), Flair praised Eddie Guerrero for his in ring talents and abilities and explains why he believed he deserved a major push in WCW, praises Steve Austin for his work ethic and willingness to work fairly with others in the ring, Flair praised Undertaker and Kurt Angle for their deication and willingness to work hurt (also tells a famous story about Christian being in a neck brace, barely mobile, but wrestling that night on RAW), has almost nothing but good things to say about Piper as a character, worker, and friend,

The only peeple who get skewered by Flair are Jim Herd (for his horrible mismanagement of WCW, something documented in numerous books and exposes on wrestling, all basically in line with Flair's portrayl) and Fritz Von Erich (for not doing enough to help Kerry with his drug problems, even lying to press about him, making up stories about him wrestling with a terrible illness to explain a lackluster performance in the ring that Flair atributed to him being high before the bout.) Kerry as you probably know had numerous issues with drugs in WWE, eventually getting fired, and committed suicide shortly after while facing jail time on drug and gun related charges. Flair is critical of Paul Roma for a poor work ethic (has anyone ever disputed this ?) and Sid Viscious as being a poor worker and unreliable (lot of call offs, no shows). Again, not exactly ground breaking, pretty much echoing what many others have said before. There is also a small riff on Brutus Beefcake, basically portraying him as mid level talent who survived due to his friendship with Hogan (again, basically echoing sentiments pretty old and often heard before this book was ever published) and details a disagreement with him over how a match between Flair & Guerrero was booked (according to Flair Beefcake warned him afterwards that Hogan would be upset because Flair insisted on making Eddie look good and having a fair share of offense before going over instead of squashing him because Eddie was a talented performer with potential who deserved a showcase, not a squash match loss). For anyone interested, the match in question is showcased on the Best Of Monday Nitro DVD that WWE put out a year ago. It's considered one of the best Nitro matches of all time.

Admittedly he doesnt have much to say positive about Ultimate Warrior, either as a worker or talent, but what little he says is basically a re hash of what everyone and their mother has said about him in the past. You would have a much harder time finding someone to dispute Flair here than you would to agree with him. Same thing with his brief mention of Scott Steiner, often ridiculed today for his rambling rants against most of the wrestling establishment, often portrayed by others as being difficult to get along with back stage and hard to work with in the ring, criticims echoed by many, both during his WCW and WWE runs in the last decade plus.

Even his riff on Foley, which he admitts is in response to comments Foley made in his first book is more about pointing out factual errors in Foley's account of their situation (Foley contended Flair was in chage of booking and didn not untilize him, Flair contended he was traveling on the house show circuit and was not heavily involved in booking, but admitts he would never have had the insight promotion wise that Vince McMahon did to make Foley a major attraction). Ironically, these two made peace and seemed to get along just fine when the worked together in WWE.

With regards to Eric Bischoff Flair praises him as a great on screen character, great on the mic, and as someone with new ideas and a fresh, updated idea of presentation for the product when he first took over.

The book I read spent a lot of time talking about the good qualities and contributions of many, many wrestlers, going out of his way to highlight the positives even of guys he admittedly didnt get along with while detailing their disagreements, if there were any. In a book that talks extensively about Hogan, Piper, Savage, Undertaker, Hart, HBK, HHH, Vince, Crockett, Dusty, Harley Race (great champion, hard worker, major legit tough guy according to Flair), Steamboat, Sting, Luger, Angle, Rock (great talent, great mic work, great charisma, tells stories of knowing him as child through his work for his families promotion in Hawaii), Blackjack Mulligan (regrets they didnt stay friends), Barry Whyndam (in his heyday a "prime racehorse"), Eddie Guerrero, Austin, Funk, etc there is a boat load of praise and acknowledgement of accomplishment to go around (compare that to Hogan's book which largely portrays everyone as bit players compared with only Rock & Flair as being close to his level).

There are also numerous stories of outside the ring excapades with Piper, Race, Stan Hansen, Earl Hebner, etc that show the "Nature Boy" personna existed outside the confines of the TV studios and arenas, all entertaining but with a purpose (near the book's end Flair talks about his embarassment when he was accompanying his younger son to wrestling tournaments only to find out that another wrestler's wife had been telling stories about Flair's nightlife to other parents, the point where his "Fun Times" had invaded the "safety net" that he built around his kids, having to confront the stories, many of them several years old, something he never wanted to do because he always preached against such excess and behaviors with his kids).

There are also numerous quotes throughout the book by other wrestlers and wrestling personalities on the various topics discussed, including Chris Jericho, HHH, HBK, Arn Anderson, Jim Cornette, Jim Ross, Goldberg, and Steve Austin, about as ecclectic group of big names as you will ever meet.

There is some harsh criticism for Brett Hart regarding the Owen Hart situation, which takes on a whole new meaning in light of Brett going back on his numerous public statements that he would never work for Vince McMahon and/or WWE again. Even still, lots of praise for Hart's in ring ability and criticism of WWE & WCW for not booking him well which would have lead to him having even greater success.

The insights into Kerry Von Erich's decline are heartbreaking, the stories about his kids, missing them due to his travel schedule, and having to deal with his partying past as they got older and learned some of those things are touching (a lot of these books deal almost exclusively with the wrestling aspects but little about family, not the case), plenty of fun side stories, and terrific insights into the Wrestling Wars of the 80s and The Monday Night Wars of the 90s, what worked, what failed, in hindsight what should have been done differently, and why ultimately Vince won both times. Flair definately points out the positive impact Dusty Rhodes had on his career depsite their booking differences, there is just a lot of positive stuff in this read. If anything the problem is that most of critcisms of things are "old hat", stuff we'd already heard ad naseum before the book was printed (Ultimate Warrior, Jim Herd, Sid). He doesnt break any knew ground there, but he does with regards to Vince Russo, who is not skewered or slandered beyond repair (despite what many others in the IWC think of him).

I would recommend this book, along with Foley & Jericho books, to any serious wrestling fan.

There is some harsh criticism for Brett Hart regarding the Owen Hart situation, which takes on a whole new meaning in light of Brett going back on his numerous public statements that he would never work for Vince McMahon and/or WWE again. Even still, lots of praise for Hart's in ring ability and criticism of WWE & WCW for not booking him well which would have lead to him having even greater success.

I dont think its really Bret going back on his word as much as Bret coming to terms with the situation and finding peace. Bret compared how he felt at the time to carrying around a sack of rocks. He finally got to set them down. Im glad he went back....not just because I like him as a performer but I like seeing that hes doing well personally. Bret/HBK reuniting on RAW will stand out as a feel good moment forever.

I still need to buy this damn book. Everyone seems to have enjoyed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back