Wrestling Autobiographies good/bad for business?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savior with faith 101

Occasional Pre-Show
So i was reading Y2J Chris Jerichos first autobiography "Around the World in Spandex" and during it he brought up how the internet has taken away the shock factor and surprises within the business. That got me thinking, isnt that a little ironic that in a book which describes in great detail how angles are booked, moves are done and taught and generally how the business is run that he is complaining about the influence of the internet.

Now ive read all of Mick Foleys books (except The Road to Lockdown which is sat about 2 ft away from me begging to be read) and i thought they were all fantastically written books. I had the same opinion of Chris Jerichos first book and i cant wait to start his 2nd book (also sat about 2ft away from me begging to be read.) To a lesser extent i also enjoyed The Rock, Stone Colds and several other wrestlers autobiographies.

But my general point is, when so many Wrestlers complain about the influence the internet and "dirt sheets" have had on killing kayefabe and surprises within the business, do u feel that these books do the same???

no... all of the books mentioned I have read... Also I have read flair's, goldust's HBK's and bret hart's.... All of those do go through what typically is done before matches either in detail (as in some of jericho's books) or briefly (in Foley's multiple books)... All of them do break kayfabe, but also mention that the average fan knows that the professional wrestling business isn't legit, but instead suspends disbelief for the interim period...

So yes the average fan knows that the "matches" arent actually legit and that they are putting on a show.. the difference is that with the advent of the internet we know what occurs on the shows in advance if they are taped, we also know the backstage news that could influence match decisions... When i first started watching wrestling, none of that was possible... You could buy a magazine and see who they though the best wrestlers were, but any pay per views were completely up in the air... You didn't know the results of the RAW in question (until WCW started giving the results of the pre-taped raws on their show..)

Basically all the books do is give you insight into what goes into a great match... They don't ruin anything in my opinion, but give you a sneak peak into how much of the match is called in the ring and also how crazy the schedule is for most of these wrestlers.. It's not "ruining" kayfabe since less than 1% of the audience actually believes what goes on is actual truth anyways...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back