Wrestlers You Like But Others Hate

#hamler

That's all folks.
That's right, just like in the music section. This thread gives anyone a chance to discuss a certain hated wrestler they like and why they like said wrestler. It gives you the chance to discuss openly about wrestlers that are often hated and gives you a chance to stick up for the wrestler(s) you choose.

I'll go first,

Triple H
The hate for Triple H is astounding on these here forums. I read posts where he's often labeled as a spotlight hog or that he likes to bury people which couldn't be further from the truth. I've mentioned this a lot in the past but like Steve Austin says, "a match with Triple H is a good day at the office." That statement holds a lot of value. Triple H makes sure to make his opponents look good whether he beats them or not, just being in the same ring with Triple H is often considered an honor. The fact that many of you say he buries talent is hilarious and it baffles me. Jeff Hardy, Batista, Randy Orton, John Cena (kinda), The Rock, Mick Foley, and lately CM Punk owe a lot to Triple H for making them bigger, better stars. Triple H is one of the few guys left who have an old school feel to him. I've grew up watching Triple H from the very beginning of his World Title push to where he is today. Maybe it's just the markiness in me but he really is that damn good. Overrated - fuck that. Most hate him, but that doesn't stop him from being my second favorite wrestler of all time.

John Cena
Oh my, bet you didn't see that coming. I really don't want this thread turning into another John Cena discussion thread so keep it simple. John Cena: the IWC's favorite Superstar. The hate for this guy is unwarranted and down right stupid at times. "But Hamler, he only knows five moves," horeshit I tell ya. John Cena is without a doubt one of the best storytellers in the WWE today. I don't know where the myth of more moves = better wrestler came from. Cena is the WWE's top guy; the total pckage if you will. Cena has carried multiple people to great matches including guys who were usually horrible in the ring. The Great Khali had his best match with Cena, as well as Umaga, Bobby Lashley, and a few others. Cena = a fine wrestler. His new shirt, hilarious.

Kevin Nash
Lol, markiness aside, I can totally see why he's so hated. He is often considered the reason why WCW went to shits. His moveset is questionable: kick, clotheline, big boot, slam, Jacknife, match over - but to be fair, plenty of others have done plenty more with a lot less. Unlike the other two guys on my list, his hate is more than likely very deserved. That doesn't stop me from being a total mark. Back when Nash was very relevant in WCW, I liked him. There's no question that I like heels, but Nash was the very first on that list. I can't defend him too much, other then the bullshit excuses that he has had sooooo many knee surgeries that he can't move, but he's still one of my personal favorites. Ain't nostalgia a bitch?

I'm sure there are others, Kofi Kingston, MVP or Rey Mysertio.

Who are some wrestlers you like but others often hate?

Please be sure to include why you like said wrestler.

Heath Slater

I might be the only poster on this forum who supports the one man rock band. Back in the days of NXT season 1 and the original Nexus I defended him a lot from the posts of haters. I saw something in him that others don't seem to. From the first episode of NXT, I thought he would be a star. He just needs the right gimmick, an arrogant heel version of his one man rock band character could work. Even though he was technically a heel by the time he got suspended, he needed a full turn to really get the heat he needs. Give him a mic to do some arrogant promos and have him beat up on guys like Gabriel. Anyways I like the guy despite that others don't. He reminds me of a young Edge and I still think he has a lot of potential. We might never see him succeed though due to the suspension and the assault incident.

The Great Khali

I was in awe of the size and strength of this man when he first came to the WWE and still am to this day. Almost every day I read that Khali is terrible, he can't move, he can't talk, yada, yada, yada. Khali is over 7 feet tall and 400 pounds so what do you expect him to do? He's not going to go out there and do any moves that he doesn't need to do. He uses chops, strikes, and punches because they are effective and people don't seem to realize that. I like him because he still gets a reaction that the majority of the roster can ever dream of getting. I like him because he doesn't go out of his comfort zone in the ring to please others who criticize his work.

I have always liked Triple H and apart from the so called IWC or whatever posters who post on this site are known as, I have always got good impressions from people on their thoughts on The Game. He does get a lot of stick on this site though which I have never understood...especially with the whole "Triple H buries everybody and wont put anybody over" theory. I like Khali also and agree with everything Little Jerry Lawler posted. Anyway my picks...

Jeff Hardy

Always really enjoyed Jeff Hardy matches both as one half of the Hardy Boyz and as a singles wrestler. His risk taking and high flying, show no fear, hardcore, high spots attitude was something I enjoyed back in the Attitude era and he was involved in some of the greatest Tag Team matches of all time along with his brother Matt, Edge, Christian and The Dudley Boys. As a singles wrestler he was given a huge push by The Undertaker in what was one of the greatest Jeff matches I have ever seen and although Undertaker made Jeff look great, it takes two to tango. Since then he has gone on to compete in the main event scene in both WWE and TNA (many people think he was/is not good enough to be a main eventer). I disagree with these people and despite how much actual in ring ability or mic ability Jeff has in peoples opinions, you can't really deny he has star quality. You see it week in and week out, the fans at live shows still adore him. He has had obvious problems in his personal life but I am going to scoot around that seeing as I would be a hypocrite if I had a problem with it. The only thing I will say is the times he has turned up stoned at live events and not given his all is disgusting on his part and I am strongly against that but what Jeff does in his own time is up to him, aslong as it doesn't hinder him giving 100% to paying fans...only then do I have a problem with it. Anyway as far as wrestling and being entertaining goes I am a huge Jeff Hardy fan and if he ever came back to the WWE despite all his troubles and "mistakes" I am sure he would get a huge welcome.

Not too sure what the IWC think towards Goldust? He happens to be one of my favourites but I hav a feeling he may be more liked than disliked?

Kevin Nash
I will always have a bit of hatred for him because of his role in sinking the titanic, i mean World Championship Wrestling. I enjoyed his improved work ethic in TNA. I think the heat he gets in WWE is because people are too young to remenber Diesel. Truncated backgrounds effect perception in wrestling.

Matt Hardy
I felt like Matt has faced alot of criticism since coming to TNA because of a declining work ethic and unsanctioned remarks off the clock. He has lot to gripe about after how WWE treated him and it was always his right to go vocal about the Edge/Lita debacle. Too many people tried to muzzle him and I feel it was wrong. I also feel like he'd stay on his game in TNA if they had just let him transition into their mainevent picture.

Vincent
I just loved is role as a foot troop and the NWO's quentesential croni/yes man. He was always willing to take one for the team n looked so cool in those shades.

Lance Storm
He got alot of criticism ten years ago in WCW and recently for calling TNA "******ed" I believe it was.. It was said that his Canadian gimmick was stale and used to death, it was said that his personality was wooden, it was said he had no mic skills but I think if WCW had stayed open he would be the top heel of 2002. I could had seen him as a quadruple crown champion with the WCW Heavyweight, U.S., Hardcore, and Crusierweight simultaniously.

Cody Rhodes

Everyone seems to have a problem with this one. I have always been a big Cody fan but most people do not like him because of his gimmik. I think for now it's perfect for his character and I love him in it. To be honest, his rants make me laugh. I mean, this is the guy who in my town was called gay by the Big Show (there's a thread on here somewhere in this section where I explain the situation) and beforehand called the rest of us ugly. Yes, before the mask. Back when he was in Legacy I always liked him and thought he was a pretty cool guy. And yet the haters (not on here, out in the real world) HATE his guts to high Heaven. Me? I sit back and enjoy a good laugh and wonder if I'll get a bag someday

First off basically any Indy spot monkey.

But in reference to WWE here it is:

Sin Cara
Botch, botch, botch, botch. that all I hear about this guy when it comes to thread about him. "OH he should have adapted to the WWE style by now" wow how overly critical can you get about guy who was a legend in mexico! I know that WWE does not take into account much of what their talent has done outside of their own company but I think that should be a factor in his success. Anyway back to the internet criticism saying all he does is a botch within itself because he is really good in the ring to be honest and he is over with the crowd!

Sure HHH does get his oppenents over but that still doesn't change the fact that he is a glory hogger. For example, the wrestlemania match with Sheamus. Who needed a win in that match? Sheamus. HHH had NOTHING to gain in that match, Sheamus had everything to gain yet still lost.

How come all these matches he so called "puts someone over" he still wins 99% of? Oh apart from he fuck buddies Orton and Batista. Fuck that shit.

Sure HHH does get his oppenents over but that still doesn't change the fact that he is a glory hogger. For example, the wrestlemania match with Sheamus. Who needed a win in that match? Sheamus. HHH had NOTHING to gain in that match, Sheamus had everything to gain yet still lost.
Not a very good example. Classic heel/face rivalry. The heel continuously gets the best of the face but when the match arrives, heel loses. Not only that, but in the following months, Sheamus put Triple H out for over a year. In fact, any chance he gets, Sheamus mentions that he's the one who nearly ended Triple H's career. That's putting over.
How come all these matches he so called "puts someone over" he still wins 99% of?
Because a match with Triple H is a good day at the office. Triple H is super over and is already established as a top teir guy in the WWE. Being in the same ring with Tripe H is enough to make the crowd take interest in someone. That's what putting over means.
Oh apart from he fuck buddies Orton and Batista. Fuck that shit.
Preposterous. Since when is it common knowledge that these three are homosexuals?

Heath Slater

I might be the only poster on this forum who supports the one man rock band. Back in the days of NXT season 1 and the original Nexus I defended him a lot from the posts of haters. I saw something in him that others don't seem to. From the first episode of NXT, I thought he would be a star. He just needs the right gimmick, an arrogant heel version of his one man rock band character could work. Even though he was technically a heel by the time he got suspended, he needed a full turn to really get the heat he needs. Give him a mic to do some arrogant promos and have him beat up on guys like Gabriel. Anyways I like the guy despite that others don't. He reminds me of a young Edge and I still think he has a lot of potential. We might never see him succeed though due to the suspension and the assault incident.

I like slater too he reminds me of a mix of Morrison, Trent Baretta and The Miz. He's very underatted and even Jericho, JERICHO put him over on NXT and like it or not Heath's simply a nobody. So for Jericho to let
a nobody job him out on a fake reality show then you'd have to admit
that nobody-jabroni has the chops. He's good on the mic despite his nails on a chalkboard accent and he's good enough on the mat.

Figure of speech

Homophobic speech.

My pick would be Ken Anderson

A lot of people hate on him for being sloppy and boring but I personally love his ring style and I think his character the nuts at the moment. Sure he is a little careless in the ring every now and again and there really is no excuse for that but he just seems to get me fired up when watching him. He's packing a pretty decent moveset at the moment and I'm enjoying his 'tweener persona.

I don;t know how the Orton hate is around here but he gets alot of hate on the internet. But I have been a fan of Orton since I started watching again last year.

Bill Goldberg
I'll take Goldberg over Stone Cold any day. Goldberg was an awesome presence, he could wrestle pretty well, and got over FAST on his own merits, not because of stupid squash matches and an undefeated streak. Mr. Perfect, & Tatanka both had year + undefeated streaks to start their careers in the WWF, no one shits on Mr. Perfect (or they had better not), but Goldberg, he was a rookie in WCW. That one statement has 2 strikes against him when it comes to the IWC. Add to that the fact that he made rookie mistakes in high profile matches and incidents, and suddenly he's buried by most everyone. Never mind the fact that all rookies make mistakes, frequently bad ones, but no rookies get super over with the fans to the point of being the biggest draw in the most successful pro-wrestling organization in the world.

Air Boom

I seriously love these two guys as a team. They have really improved and have great chemistry with each other. People hate them because "they were thrown together", they still are the best tag-team in the past couple of years(not saying much though).
And as for their name or the fact that they both are always too happy, both the facts go with their styles and are not really not that big of a deal to me.

I'm going to say Alberto Del Rio.He's talented on the mat,has the pedigree being Dos Caras' boy and hell of entertaining despite what a lot of the IWC says.He's probably the best heel in WWE right now because he's drawing more heat based on being a coward and feeding his announcer to Mark Henry during his match with CM Punk which should give Del Rio a rub.Yeah he's
playing the pussyass coward but he's a pussyass coward who can break your arm!

Mine is without a doubt Kevin Nash. People give him a lot of shit for holding younger talent back and putting his friends and himself above everyone else. They have every right to be angry. But god dammit if Kevin Nash isn't one of the most entertaining wrestlers ever. The guys gold on the mic, and you can pull a decent match out of him from time to time. The guy is actually really good, people just shit on him for backstage stuff.

I'm definitely with Hamler and God Damn Batman, Kevin Nash has been one of my favorite wrestlers since I was a little dude and though he may not have the deepest moveset or move around as well as others he's still the shit to me and I love him.

My other pick would be Chris Benoit, I know people don't generally hate him for his work as a wrestler and that it's because of what he did to his family. I totally agree that it was a fucked up horrible thing that he did that cannot be forgiven but I still love his work as a performer, I will not hide that and avoid him like the plague as many do. As a wrestler the man was excellent, he had a powerful and rough style that was very entertaining and he had a presence that could not be denied. Even though he will never get the recognition that his career deserves(for obvious and understandable reasons) he will always be remembered by me as one of the best and one of my favorite performers of all time.

Sorry to double post but I'm also going to give RVD the nod as well.Now I know a lot of folks here shit on the guy but I think he moves well for his age.I also admire the strength he showed when his wife was going through treatments for cancer.I understand the weight of that (my girlfriend was born with spinal bifida and has to go to the doctor every month to make sure there is no vertebrae tumors/complications).He also had a descent match with Lynn at BFG by my book.

Robbie E

Yep, not the other guy with a New Jersey gimmick, I like me some Robbie E and was glad to see him back on Impact a couple months ago in what I thought was just some throwaway skit with him and Big Robbie. But no, he appeared again, then again, then wrestled(?!) and has now become the TV champ!
I can remember the exact moment (sorta) that I became a Robbie E fan. He was still with Cookie and some creature from the Jersey Shore as Sky and Love were in the ring. As the Jersey trio made their way down towards the ring, Robbie slipped/tripped on a cable unintentionally causing some hilarity to Sky and Love, and embarrassment and outrage to Cooks. The way he played along with it made me see him in a different light; that of a goof who just so happened to be a heel due to his vanity. Others may not see him that way, but I'm glad to see him again and hope he sticks around for a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back