Wrestlemania matches that just didn't live up to the hype

Tenta

The Shark Should've Worked in WCW
Wrestlemania is supposed to be the moment in which legends are born. History is made. Champions are crowned. And the WWE turns the chapter to a new era in it's company.

But sometimes, Wrestlemania offers us a match that stinks up the joint. A match that's been hyped up incessantly, only to fall flat on its face. A match that will go down in infamy, and may never wash up the stench of being....

The Worst...... Big Wrestlemania Match.... EVER!!!

So many to choose from, and so many different entities in Wrestlemania. Sometimes that two wrestlers just don't mesh. Sometimes the match has an ending that people hate. And sometimes, there are extenuating circumstances in what makes a bad Wrestlemania match. The question is simple..... What is your most disappointing Wrestlemania match, and why?

Mine is simple. It has to be Goldberg and Brock Lesnar. This match was built up as a battle of the Goliaths. They weren't the greatest of wrestlers, but there's no reason to believe these two couldn't work a good match. And the buildup was very well done. Quite frankly, I thought the WWE was buidling for this to be some kind of title match. Hell, they even brought in Steve to officiate. What role was Stone Cold going to play? Was he going to be bias? Who would he stun (He had to stun someone)? Who was going to win this dream match?

Then, the smarks learned that not only was Goldberg on his way out of The E, Brock would be leaving, as well. Fans in the Garden were brutal. There was no possible way to create a face out of this match... Austin got the hottest reaction out of anybody. The actual match involved a horrendous staredown, and the longest of stalling periods possible. It got to the point that the best reaction was Austin doing criss-crosses across the ring. Anytime that's the most over a match gets, you have a problem. The talent (or lack thereof) was immediately exposed, and what's worse, Austin didn't even provide anything except his normal post-match celebration. What was definitely going to be a clash of the titans came to be a twenty minute suck-fest, with Austin feeling so awkward and needing to do something to save the match. On any other Wrestlemania, without Eddie, Chris Benoit, Taker, and (yes) John Cena to save, this would have brought down the entire card of Wrestlemania.

Alas, that's the best of my recollection. I open the floor to your thoughts.

The crowd completely killed that match. Of course Goldberg was going to suck in the ring, but with Lesnar in there, the match would have at least been decent. But the crowd messed it up before it even got started, then they were doomed. I think having Austin as the referee in the match might have been a mistake, because it gave the fans a face to cheer, meaning that Goldberg and Lesnar were heels.

I would have to agree and say that Goldberg vs. Brock was the most disapointing big wrestlemania match. Finally we were going to see WCW's unstoppable monster against WWF's unstoppable monster. I loved the intensity of the buildup for this one but when it came to the actual match, both guys just didn't give their all. And how can you when you have an entire arena breathing down your neck? Furthermore, I was very disapointed when Goldberg came out the winner in this one. Goldberg gave nothing to the company. He was there for a year, wasted time in their title scene and left. Atleast Lesnar provided memorable matches and moments. There was nothing truly memorable about Goldberg's time in WWE. I was glad to see Austin stunning them both though.

The other match that's a close second would have to be the Fatal Fourway Championship match from Wrestlemania 2000. A wrestlemania main event has never been packed with so much star power in one match which featured Rock, HHH, Foley and Big Show. This match failed because the added stipulation of a McMahon in every corner became a distraction from the match, not to mention I never really thought that HHH and The Rock clicked that well in the ring with one another. When the match came down to the two of them, it just seemed to drag and having your heel champion retain after a tired conclusion to the "biggest main event of the year" , it was simply the wrong way to go. All in all, this main event became too cluttered.

Finally, another match that failed to live up to my wrestlemania expectations was Chris Jericho vs. HHH at Wrestlemania 18. Granted, they were following up the biggest match of the decade (Rock vs. Hogan), but in a match where HHH had alot to prove coming back from his injury and Jericho trying to show that he was a credible champion, this match kind of fell on its face. It ended up being nothing more than mediocre when I felt that they were the two most talented guys WWE had at the time.

All good choices so far but I'm going to go with another match from WM 18 and say Austin vs. Hall. If there's ever been a match that was hyped to the moon for some reason and we all knew it would be average at best, this match sucked. Why Hall? I mean really, what were they going for here? He never really won anything of note and while he's one of the most successful wrestlers to never win the world title, this is Steve Austin at Wrestlemanie. He deserved better than that. The whole thing was supposed to be great and it just failed to me. It was about as average a match as you could get and considering it was built as equal to the title match or the Rock/Hogan match, it just isn't there.

Batista vs. HHH was another.

I thought this match was awfully boring and it looked like a finish we would see on Raw every week, not a WM title change.

Also the Rey, Angle and Orton three way at WM 22. This match just didn't do it for me whatsoever. It was way too short and just was bland. It put the belt on Rey Mysterio. Why? Who thought he would be a good World Heavyweight Champion? It's pretty much an afterthought at this point anyway. It's a match that's forgotten to time but was used as the Smackdown Main event that night.

Yes, Lesnar vs Goldberg is the best choice.

I will also take from my favorite wrestlemania of all time - Wrestlemania 8. As much as I loved the match, the Hulk Hogan vs Sid Justice match was not what it could have been. Six month of build up. A feud that took the Hogan vs Flair dream match up away from WWF fans forever. And what did we get?

A botched run-in by - Papa Shango? And two clotheslines by The Ultimate Warrior?

Bleh. For a match that was booked as Hogan's last match (which it was - for like a year), this one didn't send the man out on a high note. A bad DQ finish, and a career mid-carder running in for no apparent reason and with no build-up.

Very true boss. Another factor about that match was Warrior just looked awful. Not sure if it was a different one or not as the debate about that has gone on forever. It was just so random and such an odd way to close out the show. Savage and Flair put on a classic and of all things, Shango was late getting to the ring and Sid had to kick out of the legdrop. No one kicks out of the legdrop, and especially not at Wrestlemania! Warrior did it two years earlier in something that still to this day makes me sick to my stomach. Just a terrible way of booking. Let Hogan beat him clean THEN if you insist on Shango doing the run in, do it.

For me, it was Warrior vs Hunter Hearst Helmsley at Wrestlemania XII. I know this wasn't exactly overhyped, but it was supposed to be Warrior's big return, but it did nothing except to show the absolute unprofessionalism in Warrior's career. HHH get's a lot of criticism levelled at him for burying people, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone as buried as he was here. Remember this was before the MSG incident and so presumably only a few months before HHH was in line for a big push, but Warrior's ego was too big to give him any leeway. He literally stands up straight from a pedigree.

I am actually quite a big Warrior fan, if you only consider his early career, but this has to be one of my all time least favourite Wrestlemania matches and epitomises Warrior's final WWF stint, and also foreshadowed his WCW abomination.

Outside of the obvious choice of Lesnar V. Goldberg at WM20...I would have to say the two matches at WM18: Austin VS. Hall AND Triple H VS. Y2J...the main reason is I think not only did Stone Cold deserve the main event match, but I think the two stories and buildup between these two matches combined could not have beat Austin VS. HHH. WM18 just felt like the perfect time to end a feud that had continued for years...between Austin and the man who plotted to have him run down. Also, the two formed the Power Trip before Triple H tore his quad...Stone Cold blamed Triple H for the failure of the union upon his injury...this match could have had over a 2 year build for a final epic battle. Let's not also forget that there were two transitional champions right after WM18...HHH to Hogan at Backlash, Hogan to Taker at Judgment Day...

I have to agree with Lesnar vs Goldberg. Goldberg was never a great wrestler, but he could work a big match, and Lesnar was pretty damn good. I was on the edge of my seat when they were staring each other down... and then they kept doing it... kept doing it... they stared each other down until I went for a bathroom break. I think I was playing Gameboy or reading a magazine for the finish absoluetly brutal.

Goldberg vs. Lesnar immediately jumped into my mind before I even opened up the thread in which it seems EVERYONE is talking about lol. Thats def the most overhyped match that turned out horrific in recent years. It was just a horrendous match in which neither Bill or Brock delivered anything but filler time. Pointless.

What happens when the immovable object meets the unstoppable force? Nothing. Lots of eye contact, lots of circling, and lots of...nothing. Not just the worst over-hyped match in WM history, but quite possibly the worst match in history, period. I honestly can't think of a worse WrestleMania match than this one. From the moment Brock Lesnar debuted on Raw, fans had been chanting Goldberg's name when Lesnar was in the ring. This was supposed to be one of the biggest matches ever, and instead...well, we all know how it turned out.

Pitiful.

im suprised no1 has mentioned the taker vs bossman hell in a cell at wm 15. the moment the great hell in a cell comes 2 wrestlemania during the the boom of the attitude era and... it fell flat on its face. and what was up with hanging the bossman at the end??? a bit of bad taste i think

Taker vs. Bossman was such a forgettable, thrown together at the last minute match. Whenever the Bossman was in a cage it was a recipe for disaster. Kennel from Hell match, anyone??

Ummm im suprised no one has said(i may get a little heat for this)...wm 3 andre vs hogan the match probaly one of the biggist build ups ive ever seen and all we got was an 11 minuite match of bearhugs a holy shit epic body slam and a leg drop the match they say is an instant classic when all the match was was a glorfied match

Hogan and Andre didn't live up to the hype? Hell it surpassed it. Hogan picked him up and slammed him. That was mindblowing at the time. We take it for granted now because we've seen it so many times. Andre NEVER lost in the WWF. This would be like Cena FUing Taker at WM and pinning him clean. Cena's the man already, but that would catapult him into legendary status. The match was never about the in ring work. It was all about the symbolism and the meaning behind it, which is lived up to and more.

Aside from many of the obvious choices that have been brought up, Goldberg/Lesner, Austin/Hull, Jericho/HHH, one that really stands out to me was the Lashley/Umaga match at WM 23. This match was perhaps pushed way more than either of the world title matches, mainly due to the inclusion of the McMahons, a ref Austin, and the Trump himself. Lost in all these Big name figures, and the aftermath the shaving off of Vince's hair, what we got was a really shitty match between Lashley and Umaga. These guys were the ECW and IC champions respectively, as well both had gotten some pretty good pushes from the company and you'd figure that these two could put on a half way decent match, no. The match itself was a joke, and in no way interesting. Had it not been for the awful diva's match after featuring Ashley, this match would've been the stinker of an otherwise solid card that did include a Khali match. Perhaps Umaga just doesn't wrestle well verse other super heavyweights. Another example would be his piss shit match with Batista last year, but that match wasn't even close to the level of hype that the Lashley/Umaga match has. So Lashley/Umaga, easily one of the most overhyped matches ever at Wrestlemania.

I actually have to agree somewhat with Enigma, all that happened was that Andre who was the best in the business, said i'll take a dive for my friend and step down, because he knew his time was comming to an end...nothing impressive from hogan, who is the MOST OVER-RATED wrestler EVEr...but that's not the the answer to me...Either Warrior vs Hogan at VI or Goldberg vs Lesnar...Lesnar was the only one who could actually wrsetle, and he had a upsetting dissapointment of a match, Hogan and Warrior just had glorified stare-downs and tests or strengths, pathetic, nothing, boring

Oh here we go. "He sucks! He can't wrestle!" Bull-fucking-shit. Are you REALLY that ridiculous to think that he only knows that many moves? Has it ever occured to you that he was told to do that??? That same stupid hulking up seemed to get MASSIVE pops every time. People have spots that get pops. Austin did his thing, Rock had the gestures, Taker sits up, Michaels nips up, Hogan hulks up. Know what happens with all of them? People like it. They respond to it. To say Hogan wasn't talented is just wrong.

Now back to the topic at hand, another that always did nothing for me was Roberts and Honky Tonk Man at WM 3. This was built up as a fairly big match with some interesting segments leading up to it. Honky blasted Jake with the guitar, back before tehy were breakaways like they are now. Roberts said he was coming for Honky, and the match looked great. What we got was a short match where nothing really happened and Honky grabbed the ropes to win. Just disappointing, although it might have had something to do with going on after Savage and Steamboat.

Andre vs Hogan may not have been technically the best match, but Mania is about the best story telling, not the bst match up. Angle vs Benoit at Mania 17 may have been techniaclly the best match, but the best storytelling match was Rock vs Austin. At Mania 16 Rock being screwed by McMahon family was best story yet people dis that match. It is Entertainment so is just as much about story telling as skill in the ring, which is why Cena is the best around. He can't hell sell a story, he is brilliant at it. Yet apparantly he can "only do three moves" who cares? All his moves get a pop, and that is what matters.

My pick is JBL vs Cena for the WWE title - nothing special. it was a decent smackdown match at best. Typical boring, cena match. Took beating for the mjority of match and in 2 mins - game over.

Hulk Hogan vs. Psycho Sid.
WTF? Sid and Hulk showed how bad both can work. This was slow, boring and sluggish. I thought these two could have had a much better match (plus the build up was pretty good). This was supposodley Hogan's retiremant math and it ends in a DQ? Good god.

I would have to say cena vs hhh vs orton at WM 24 it was good but didnt live up to all the buzz and also goldberg vs lesnar at WM 20 it was terrible they basically went 1/2 hearted.

I'd personally have to say that both Main Events from WM21 were equally poor. As said by the guys before me who picked these matches, they both came off as nothing more than a long Raw/SD main event or maybe even the Main Event at Cyber Sunday or something. Especially seeing that JBL and Cena have had better matches since then. Can't say the same for HHH and Batista though. I don't even remember what their HIAC match was like tbh.

Undertaker v Kane at WM20 wasn't anything amazing either was it tbh? Ok so yes it was Taker's return match, going back to the Deadman gimmick, but if you compare that match with the one at WM14, then it just seems like a typical singles match between the two, not the calibur of match you'd expect at WM. But hey, Kane's no spring chicken and Taker must have had some ring rust so, you couldn't really expect anything awe inspiring tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back