Best 10 Wrestlemania matches of all time

Before I begin my list, I want to point out that I stayed true to my time window of watching WWF/E. I began watching around the late 80's/early 90's. I wanted to only include matches at that time to current ones. While I have seen all WrestleMania's, I really can't speak to the build and emotion going into the match. So while I recognize how great Macho v Steamboat was, I can never fully grasp what went into the match so I cannot compare it to matches that I do know the entire build for. I also only stuck to singles matches.

10: WWE Title Match John Cena (c) v Shawn Michaels WM 23

This match is special for me because it is the only Mania I have seen live. The match itself was unreal. Shawn really carried the match and probably deserved to have a title run here. I will never forget the piledriver on the steps because that may be the last one we see in the WWE.

9: WWE Title Match Ric Flair (c) v Macho Man WM 8

This is a match I have appreciated more over time, but I can still remember the build to the match. Flair claiming to have an affair with Liz back in the day and having photos really made this one personal. The action in the ring was great with alot of back and fourth. Great ending with the roll up and grabbing of the tights by the face. Also, the backstage interviews of both men where awesome and stamped the match that much more.

8: Triple H v The Undertaker WM 27

This was the first of their 2 back to back matches at Mania and 2nd Mania match overall. I feel as though this match was much better then their Cell match and even better then Taker/Shawn II. The match itself played out perfectly. Trips controlling the match was fresh to see and worked so well. The end spot was also spot on with Taker slapping on hells gate and Trips tryin to grab the sledgehammer but ultimately tapping out. Also post match was done well with Trips walking out and Taker being helped out.

7: WWE Title Match Kurt Angle (c) v Brock Lesnar WM 19

This would have been easy top 3 if Brock were able to cleanly hit the shooting star press. Even with the botched ending this match was great. The match had great pace and action with alot of different suplexes thrown in. What really cements this match as top 10 for me is that even though Rock v Austin was on the card, I feel as though it did not overshadow or outshine this match.

6: Shawn Michaels v Kurt Angle WM 21

Boy was this one good. Alot of people like to compare this match with Michales WM 19 match with Jericho. And while that was great, this is the one worthy of a top 10 spot. Simple but effective build with it starting at the Rumble, and having it end with Shawn tapping was genius. Wish this match had a title on the line, but can't complain about anything they did in the ring.

5: IC Title Match Razor Ramon (c) v Shawn Michaels WM 10

While the concept goes to Bret, this was the first time anyone saw a telivised ladder match so these guys get the credit for that. We have seen ladder matches evolve over the years but what these guys did was so simple and yet so effective. Great end spot with Shawn pushed off the ladder and tied up in the ropes while Razor grabs the title and wins the match.

4: WWE Title Match The Rock (c) v Stone Cold WM 17

All three of their matches were great, but this is the best of the three. They meet in the middle here so each guy is on his game with Austin slightly off his but fresh coming off the year long absence. Prototypical Attitude Era match so for those who don't like the era might not like the match, but it had everything. Austin's turn at the end was just crazy and while his heel turn wasn't successful, it worked on this night (even though the hometown crowd was still cheering him).

3: Bret Hart v Stone Cold WM 13

The build was fantastic and nearly a year long up to this point with Austin calling Bret out before he returned. The I quit stipulation worked here and allowed this match to get violent. This match is truly top three for the last 5 minutes. From the bell shot to the sharpshooter to the famous pose and Shamrock stopping the match with what ensued after and the double switch was just perfect.

2: Shawn Michaels v The Undertaker WM 25

While the second one was real good, this one was so much more. These guys went on for nearly 45 minutes and at this time were juist off there prime as opposed to where they are now. Also this match was better because it had the feel that it could go either way unlike their second match.

1: WWE Title Match Bret Hart (c) v Shawn Michaels WM 12

If I can't put Michaels/Taker I ahead of this match then I don't know how any other match can ever top this. For one hour these two were flawless and no one could score a fall. The anticipation was so great during the last 2 minutes and especially in the last 30 second when Shawn was in the Sharpshooter for what seemed like forever and wouldn't give up. At the time I hated the overtime but over the years I have grown to appreciate how it worked to put Shawn over while keeping Bret looking real strong. For a match to go over an hour and I wouldn't change a thing about it is crazy for me to think of and thus this match is the greatest Mania match of all time.

This was a tough question for me so I watched some old mania dvds, and came up with some that I thought were the best.

1. Shawn Michaels vs. Undertaker WM 25. I had to put this one first. This is the first match in a long time that had me yelling and jumping in my living room. A perfect match in my eyes.

2. Rock vs. Austin WM 17. Such a great build, a great match with the shocking turn at the end. Seeing Austin hug McMahon was unreal.

3. Austin vs. Bret Hart WM 13. Wonderful story told in the match between two of the great. The double turn was awesome, and who can forget Austin's face of blood as he passed out from the pain of the Sharpshooter.

4. Ricky Steamboat vs. Randy Savage WM 3. This match could probably be even higher. Fantastic from start to finish. They were doing things you didn't really see a lot of at that time. Really paved the way for the likes of the HBK's, and Bret Hart's.

5. Hulk Hogan vs. The Ultimate Warrior. Not a technical masterpiece by any means, but it deserves to be mentioned. First time two really huge faces main evented WM. Great action in a match that no one really knew who would win, many were surprised, and Hulkamanics heart's broken when the Warrior got the win in a passing of the torch for that time.

6. HBK vs. Razor Ramon WM 10. First match of its kind on the main stage. HBK really made a name for himself in this match. Razor Ramon deserves credit to as both left it all in the ring. Might have stole the show at Mania that year... but

7. Bret Hart vs Owen hart WM 10. This is another match that could probably be higher on the list. Some say it is the best match ever. Definitely a better one on one match than the above mentioned ladder match. A technical masterpiece where Owen got the big win against his brother only to see Bret capture the title later in the night.

8. Randy Savage vs. Ultimate Warrior WM 7. The best match of this card for sure, and one of the best stories told in the ring ever. The Warrior not able to beat Savage and second guessing himself only to recover and get the pin "retiring" Savage. Then with Macho and Liz reuniting this match has to be on this list.

9. Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant WM 3. Again a match that has to be mentioned just because of the impact on the sport. Record attendance for this event because of this match. Not the best match in the ring, but the story leading in and the slam followed by Hogan toppling the Giant makes this match deserving.

10. Bret Hart vs. HBK Ironman match WM 12. 62 minutes of pure wrestling. Honestly it did get boring at times, but but the heart these two guys put into this match made it worth it. Being a huge HBK fan I was ecstatic when he won his first WWE title in overtime of that match.

My list isn't perfect I am sure, but these were the matches that have stuck out most to me.

Now I did the greatest matches of wrestle mania not the greatest moments or famous matches. I am sorry but I can’t say Andre and Hogan or Warrior and Hogan were the greatest Matches ever. They are 2 of the most historic though without a doubt.

10* Shawn Michaels vs Steve Austin WM14-had good wrestling but only remember HBK getting knocked out by Tyson, also set other top stars in motion.
9*Shawn Michaels vs Razor Ramon WMX-changed the game alot with the ladder matches
8*Ric Flair vs Randy Savage WM8- two of the very best, great technical wrestling
7*Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker WM25.-great wrestling and story
6*Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho-another great technical wrestling match and story
5*ShawnMichaels vs Kurt Angle WM21-could say the greatest technical match at Wrestle mania or of all time
4*Steve Austin vs Rock WMX7-had star power, story, and great wrestling
3*Randy Savage vs Ricky Steamboat WM3-just another great match
2*Steve Austin vs Bret Hart WM13-"Blood from a Stone" it was just great
1*Shawn Michaels vs Bret Hart WM12-just think it the best match ever

I notice there is a lot of HBK in our lists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back