Would this work for a future Wrestlemania?

lalakerz

Fusion is back baby!!
I was just re-watching Wrestlemania 21 on DVD which at the time was an underrated Wrestlemania, and it's not at the top of the chain, but certainly far from the bottom. I was thinking, would something along these lines work one year? Lets use WM 26 as an example.

"Wrestlemania 26: The Best of Both Worlds" or WM26: Past Meets Future

Where all the feuds continue just as they have, but take a few past superstars (not saying old legends), that have formerly been employed with WWE, and intertwine them into the show.

-For example throw RVD into the MITB, and if you really want to add to make it a "chaotic" show, have him win and challenge the champ that night... Or do this with a legend and have him challenge Orton after Orton's main event match, and Orton can kill him as a legend too.....

-Lita/Trish vs. Diva's Champ + Women's Champ
-Orton as the Legend Killer to "kill" a HUGE legend, but the question is who...

This would NOT work with the terms WWE is currently at with some of its former stars such as Mick Foley... Hogan... etc. but in a few years this may be a good idea. Especially if it was a year Rock was inducted into the HOF and just his presence can be advertised if he agreed to make a showing at WM itself......

Little things like this for us to relive memories, or would these be best saved for Raw 3 hour specials, etc?

Plain and simple, do you think an idea like this would work? Sort of like the Raw XV Anniversary show where they had different Raw superstars from the past and present. In my opinion it's just a fun night but it would most certainly be risky for Wrestlemania because ring rust, etc.

Thoughts/comments?

Well, they would never end a show with a Hall of Fame inductee getting kicked in the head by Randy Orton. And it would never be the Rock. You want to send the crowd home happy, and with the exception of the few who think the Rock is a sell-out, no one would be happy at that ending.

I do like the RVD idea. If he were to come back to WWE, that is exactly how I would want him reintroduced. Make his a surprise entrant and then have him win. At Royal Rumble, he was a surprise, but no one thought he would win. An immediate title reign would be awesome. He could show up, win one title, and not have a show to defend it on. It would lead to a war over RVD and his belt.

It's a good idea. But the concept of taking wrestlers no longer associated with the company and building main chunks of Wrestlemania around them, giving them a good push. I think I speak best for Vince McMahon when I say "OVER MY DEAD BODY"

It could work, if Vince put ALOT of effort into it, which I don't think he's willing to do. He'd have to go around to the old superstars, persuade them to come back for the match, give them a really good deal which gives them lots of money and makes them look good. And then make it look like the older superstars have a chance of beating the younger guys, building it up with an angle.

And really what options do they have for angles if they're having most matches with older superstars other than the younger guys questioning their credibility and such? I don't think it would work.

And I don't think Vince would ever do it. Not just because of all the effort involved, but usually at WM there's only 1 older superstar who you're not sure about whether they can still have a good match at their age. For this idea, you're basically asking the question for 6 or 7 different matches, cause you really wouldn't know if these older superstars would be able to have good matches as they'll have been off TV for a while.

And then there's the thought that if Vince only makes the older guys sign a deal for one match, which will be at Mania, he'd have to throw together something pretty random for Backlash. I just don't see it working.
But in terms of PPV buys, it could break records.

No, it wouldnt work. It would be very dumb of Vince to do what youre suggesting because why would he want to center the biggest show of the year around OLD talent when there's plenty of new talent that, by the time of WM26, will be ready to breakout as true big stars (guys like Swagger, Rhodes, & DiBiase come to mind). Although the idea might work on a themed episode of Raw, it would be dumb to waste a WM on all old talent when there's so much current talent that needs to be showcased on the show- I mean, we all complain that the IC/US titles dont get defended on the show, but how would they ever if new superstars & old superstars had to have matches all in the same night? It wouldnt all fit, nor would it all work. Plus, by the time of WM26, who would really be fit enough to be in the ring who's a true legend? RVD... Rock... but who else? And would these guys even come back if they werent guaranteed a win? Probably not, and then think, if all (or most) of these guys had to win, they would just be burying the current talent (the talent that they should be showcasing) at the biggest show of the year. That would just be silly.

yea i dont see that working at all unless it was going to be in a few years and you could use guys on their way out like hbk, taker, jbl, maybe hunter, and a couple other guys against the young guys like dibiase rhodes and maybe ther young talent like Morrison and Swagger. As far as the Rock is concerned and the distance that seems to be between the wwe and him I dont see him ever wrestling again. I'm pretty sure though that the WWE will over the next couple of years do whatever they can in their power to put together a Rock - Orton at Mania with the Rock being inducted the same year and of course winning the match. It be nice to see, but I wouldn't expect it to happen and RVD might actually be back next year for MITB

I don't think this would work out. Not @ Mania atleast. Mania is the grand daddy of them all! it's when most fueds end (besides Survivor Series & Summer Slam)

However I could see the Trish/Lita thing maybe working at like Saturday nights Main event or soemthing, maybe night of champions. If RvD came back full time then introducing him in the MITB would be a great idea.

As far as Randy Orton kicking a legend. They kinda stopped that whole legend killer thing. Yea he still kicks/punts people in the head, but its not strictly legends anymore.

I guess it maybe could work but not if they brought back a bunch of retired legends, if they just had some of the older guys against the new up and comers as a sort of passing the torch wrestlemania then....wait, this sounds like New Blood Rising. Nevermind this whole concept is shit.

I think the point of Legacy is that Orton is becoming a legend himself, and that he isn't the legend killer anymore. However, your ideas are pretty good.

I don't think it fits in with the Wrestlemania vibe, which is supposed to be the biggest show of the year and not a nostalgia fest. I've posted elsewhere that I think that a legends PPV would be good, and I'd definitely utilise some of your ideas.

It would be a good idea to do, but it would make Wrestlemania seem like a bit of a let down if it was just a throwback show.

i will join in with everyone else and agree that this is a horrible idea for a wrestlemania. it doesn't showcase the actual talent on the wwe roster, it would feature wrestlers out of shape, there would be no storylines or emotional investment behind the appearances, titles and mid-carders would be left of the show, the list of reasons goes on and on.

i would even go as far as saying this is a horrible idea for a show in general. just have a parade, or a highlight clip show. watch wwe 24/7. go to your local indy promotion and drop $5 and see the washed up wrestlers there. drop $10 and see Mickey Rourke do it on the movie screen.

No, this is a bad idea. It just simply wouldn't work. It especially wouldn't work at WrestleMania. Orton "killing" a legend wouldn't work because good things happen at the end of the show, not bad things. If Orton were to do this, it wouldn't be at the end of the show and The Rock wouldn't be who he kills. It would be somebody like Ted DiBiase Sr. Also, this would require a storyline, not a one-night thing. The idea for RVD isn't bad, but giving him the briefcase would be pointless because someone who isn't employed with the company isn't gonna win the title. The fans know that. Now this is a terrible idea for WrestleMania, however if they did it at a 3-hour Raw, it would be better. I'm not saying it would be successful, but it would certainly be better than if they did it at WrestleMania.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back