• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Would Rock VS John Cena work at any other Pay Per View

WWE4EVA!

Occasional Pre-Show
Last Year at WrestleMania we saw John Cena vs The Rock in a Once In a Lifetime Match, Which The Rock won.

After winning the Royal Rumble Match, as long as he can defeat Cm Punk we will be seeing John Cena vs The Rock II at this Years WrestleMania this time for the Wwe Championship.

With Rock not sticking around for long it looks like Cena will win at Mania and win the Wwe Championship in the process, If Cena wins The Rock has Rematch Clauses, but would John Cena vs Rock III work if it was at Extreme Rules instead of WrestleMania

I think SummerSlam would be the only other stage where this could even be remotey considered. If they continue to hold SummerSlam at the Staples Center then the magnitude of the PPV combined with the Hollywood backdrop may make it a viable option, but beyond that, Rock/Cena is too big for any other stage IMO.

I doubt the WWE has the balls to go for the Wrestlemania trilogy. There would be non stop bitching and moaning from the IWC and I think the regular folks might sour on it as well. However, if they were to do a Rock/Cena WM trilogy it would be pretty cool from a historic standpoint. By the time WM 35 rolls around fans would talk fondly about it. And besides, it's not like the match has to be the only major draw of the show. Rock/Austin 3 would be an example of the 3rd match not having to carry the show, and having a historically positive view despite an initial negative response from the internet. But... Summer Slam is fine with me.

I doubt the WWE has the balls to go for the Wrestlemania trilogy. There would be non stop bitching and moaning from the IWC and I think the regular folks might sour on it as well. However, if they were to do a Rock/Cena WM trilogy it would be pretty cool from a historic standpoint. By the time WM 35 rolls around fans would talk fondly about it. And besides, it's not like the match has to be the only major draw of the show. Rock/Austin 3 would be an example of the 3rd match not having to carry the show, and having a historically positive view despite an initial negative response from the internet. But... Summer Slam is fine with me.

I 100% agree with everything you said especially the historical stand point..but might i throw in that it could work at Survivor Series?? Its a pretty prestigious PPV especially if held in the right arena.

The Rock vs. John Cena worked at WrestleMania XXVIII

The Rock vs. John Cena II should work at WrestleMania 29

The Rock vs. John Cena III could work at WrestleMania XXX

The Rock vs. John Cena III at SummerSlam 2013, no.

At this point in time, I think The Rock vs. John Cena should be a match that is only used on the Grandest Stage of them all. If you want to use Rock and Cena at SummerSlam, then pair the Rock up with Stone Cold Steve Austin and pair Cena up with Orton and have a Tag Team match instead. I’d even have Team Bring It vs. the Cenation at Survivor Series 2013, if necessary. I’d even have them face to face in the middle of the Royal Rumble match at Royal Rumble 2014. I would not have them face each other one on one anywhere but WrestleMania. Can you imagine if Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels II was at SummerSlam?? Can you imagine if Undertaker vs. Triple H II was at Survivor Series?? Can you imagine if Undertaker vs. Triple H III with Shawn Michaels as the Special Guest Referee was at Royal Rumble?? No. No!! NO!!

A dream match of such epic proportions as Cena VS The Rock needs to be at Wrestlemania. Even the rematches. This is a match between faces of the federation for their respective eras. The biggest matches of all need to be saved for the biggest show of the year. No questions asked. It would be a bad decision to do it at any other show. The only other PPV brand that even comes close to having it work at is Summerslam. That COULD work, but the financial aftermath would be much more beneficial with a Wrestlemania match.

No other PPV event would feel right for these matches. Not the Royal Rumble, not Survivor Series, not Extreme Rules, not Elimination Chamber, and sure as hell not the gimmick shows like Hell In a Cell. I'm against it at any other show, including Summerslam. The best/biggest matches NEED to be at the biggest show of the year, why have it early when you can make so much more profit out of it by having it at Wrestlemania? So what if the first match has been held, rematches between Cena and Rock need to all be at Wrestlemania. It simply is too big of a match to have anywhere else.

If Rock and Hogan can have their rematch at a ppv like No Way Out, I don't see why the same can't happen between Cena and Rock.

Goldberg and The Rock was a dream match and it happened at Backlash. HBK vs Flair, to some, was a dream match and it happened at Bad Blood. You don't always need the big stage to sell a big match.

I feel once that big match has already happened on a major stage, having it anywhere else seems like fair game.

Yes. It'd work on any pay-per-view. But logically you'd place the biggest match you have on the biggest event you have in-order to generate publicity, interest and income. Fans would flock to see Cena versus Rock no matter it be the second, third, sixth or tenth time they face. We've seen Cena versus CM Punk at least seven times now and they'll still gain a rating from their meeting this coming week on Raw.

It'd obviously suit one of the big four more-so than say Unforgiven or Money in the Bank, but the premise is the same.

I don't see why it wouldn't. The Rock is still The Rock & John Cena is still John Cena 12 months out of the year with or without WrestleMania.

That's not saying that their match would feel like it's as big of a deal outside of WrestleMania, because I highly doubt it would. WrestleMania is the Super Bowl of pro wrestling. It's the biggest wrestling show of the year bar none, which automatically lends a degree of prestige to this match that it simply wouldn't have otherwise.

However, Cena vs. Rock would still be a big deal on any WWE ppv. If they decided to meet at the Rumble, SummerSlam, Survivor Series or any other ppv; their match would, at the very least, generate a big buyrate number for whatever show they were on.

At first, no. At second.. Eh, probably not. But after this second time headlining WM, I don't see why not if they were to have a match again. It would make since for it to be at SummerSlam or The Rumble. But if they wanted to Pop the quality of one of their lesser ppv's they could have the re-re match all the same. I've personally found that most people's favorite matches don't happen at Mania, simply because of the amount of pressure placed on different ppv's.

I would say it could work any of the 4 big 'uns.

Wrestlemania

Summerslam

Survivor Series

Royal Rumble

Punk has a huge reputation,basically taking over from John Cena as the main guy on RAW and arguably WWE right now, and he and Rock fought at the Rumble, so I don;t see why it wouldn't work with them on any of the other big shows tbh.

I would say it could work any of the 4 big 'uns.

Wrestlemania

Summerslam

Survivor Series

Royal Rumble

Punk has a huge reputation,basically taking over from John Cena as the main guy on RAW and arguably WWE right now, and he and Rock fought at the Rumble, so I don;t see why it wouldn't work with them on any of the other big shows tbh.

I can't help but disagree with you. CM Punk is not on John Cena's level. The huge title reign was nice, but Cena is still "the man." Not to mention, everybody knew that we were coming back to Rock/Cena eventually, so it took away from the Punk/Rock match-up. Had Punk/Rock been given the kind of build-up that Cena/Rock had, it would have been WrestleMania-caliber.

Cena and Rock are two of the biggest stars of all time; they're in the very upper echelon of wrestling. To have them wrestling anywhere but WrestleMania wouldn't feel right -- especially given the fact that The Rock is a part-timer. I'm not saying the match wouldn't be as electric or as good, but it just wouldn't feel right -- it wouldn't make sense to have your biggest possible match-up on any show BUT WrestleMania.

Cena will win at WM29. This leaves it as 1-1. Anyone with half a brain knows that we need a third. It would be stupid in every way, including financially, for them not to. Another WM would be overkill, especially three in a row. My preference would be this years SumerSlam. Cena can keep the belt until than - he hasn't had a title reign in a while- and they will face of to see who is the best. I'd imagine Cena wins.

I'm not sure it is that easy to judge how much this match helps Mania. People will buy Mania regardless of the card and for the co-main events. SumerSlam ,however, has been awful in the past few years. It doesn't feel like a big ppv so this match would make it so.

Cena will win at WM29. This leaves it as 1-1. Anyone with half a brain knows that we need a third. It would be stupid in every way, including financially, for them not to. Another WM would be overkill, especially three in a row. My preference would be this years SumerSlam. Cena can keep the belt until than - he hasn't had a title reign in a while- and they will face of to see who is the best. I'd imagine Cena wins.

I'm not sure it is that easy to judge how much this match helps Mania. People will buy Mania regardless of the card and for the co-main events. SumerSlam ,however, has been awful in the past few years. It doesn't feel like a big ppv so this match would make it so.
There's no way Cena and Rock are going to Wrestle again after this. If they do, it's going to be a Hell in a Cell with TLC mixed in lol... it's going to be a totally different match. And if it does happen, it won't be for months or maybe another year or two after. It would be horror to see Cena win again (if he wins at WM).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back