Worst Oscar Snubs and/or Winners

jacdnwarrior

Championship Contender
The Oscars have come and gone. It was a decent show. Some of the nominations were great, some were odd, and some of the snubs were head scratchers. This got me thinking: the Oscars show is a political contest like many award shows. So a lot of choices I agree with, many I won't, some are due to body of work, some are about performance, many are about politics.

The questions are simple:

Which Oscar wins do you disagree with, which actor, director, film do you think should have won and which actor,director,film should have at least gotten a nomination ?

For me, just my imo:

Worst Oscar wins:
Braveheart (Director and Best Picture)
Gladiator (Best Actor,Picture and Director)
Unforgiven (Best Director, Picture)
Crash (Best Director, Picture)

Worst Snub
Malcolm X (Director, Picture)
Michael B Jordan (Fruitvale Station)
Liam Neeson (Kinsey)
Joy Luck Club
Leonardo DiCaprio (from Titanic)

others will come later....

Pretty much any Scorsese film from the 70s/80s.

Some Robert Redford film beat Raging Bull to the post in 83 which, ironically, must be one of the academy's biggest black eyes.

The Social Network not winning Best Picture or Best Actor sucked. That movie is so, so much better than the King's Speech, and Eisenberg blew Colin Firth out of the water.

Also, Fight Club not getting a single nomination that matters. It generated the wrong kind of controversy, so the Academy stayed well away from it.

A lot of stuff from the 2012 awards for 2011 films:

-Midnight In Paris deserved Best Picture, not The Artist. Three years later, and The Artist is a forgotten film for the most part, because all the shock for a black and white film with no sound in 2011 wore off.

-Rooney Mara should've won Best Actress (Michelle Williams in My Week With Marylin is a close second) over Meryl Streep for The Iron Lady. I'll go to bat for Streep nine times out of ten, but Streep won off of her name alone that year.

-Take Shelter deserved a Best Picture nomination, and Michael Shannon deserved a Best Actor nod to provide some tougher competition for Jean Dujardin.

-Jessica Chastain delivered the best performance in The Help, and she's a better choice for Best Supporting Actress over Octavia Spencer.

To go on with the list....

-Gangs Of New York was the right choice for Best Picture over that overrated piece of shit Chicago.

-And I actually like the guy, but Adrien Brody for The Pianist was a terrible choice for Best Actor. Daniel Day Lewis was extraordinary in Gangs Of New York, and he's the only choice for a clear cut winner.

-This one really bothers me, but Edward Norton's snub for American History X is just pitiful. Derek Vinyard is a once in a lifetime performance, and Roberto Benigni was a laughable choice for the winner.

And I'll go with another Edward Norton pick for his performance in Primal Fear. Cuba Gooding, Jr. was entertaining in Jerry Maguire, but there's nothing Oscar worthy about that performance. To add to that, the win for Cuba over Norton is more bittersweet, when you consider all of Cuba's garbage films over the years.

A lot of stuff from the 2012 awards for 2011 films:

-Midnight In Paris deserved Best Picture, not The Artist. Three years later, and The Artist is a forgotten film for the most part, because all the shock for a black and white film with no sound in 2011 wore off.

-Rooney Mara should've won Best Actress (Michelle Williams in My Week With Marylin is a close second) over Meryl Streep for The Iron Lady. I'll go to bat for Streep nine times out of ten, but Streep won off of her name alone that year.

-Take Shelter deserved a Best Picture nomination, and Michael Shannon deserved a Best Actor nod to provide some tougher competition for Jean Dujardin.

-Jessica Chastain delivered the best performance in The Help, and she's a better choice for Best Supporting Actress over Octavia Spencer.

To go on with the list....

-Gangs Of New York was the right choice for Best Picture over that overrated piece of shit Chicago.

-And I actually like the guy, but Adrien Brody for The Pianist was a terrible choice for Best Actor. Daniel Day Lewis was extraordinary in Gangs Of New York, and he's the only choice for a clear cut winner.

-This one really bothers me, but Edward Norton's snub for American History X is just pitiful. Derek Vinyard is a once in a lifetime performance, and Roberto Benigni was a laughable choice for the winner.

And I'll go with another Edward Norton pick for his performance in Primal Fear. Cuba Gooding, Jr. was entertaining in Jerry Maguire, but there's nothing Oscar worthy about that performance. To add to that, the win for Cuba over Norton is more bittersweet, when you consider all of Cuba's garbage films over the years.

I agree with everything on The Shape's list, most notably Gangs of New York. Easily the best picture of that year, and Daniel Day Lewis was far and away the best actor. In 2002, while not a huge snub I think Will Smith and Sean Penn both gave better performances than Denzel Washington. The last one on my list is almost a crime in my book, and that is Shakespeare in Love beating out Saving Private Ryan. While typing that I thought of one more and that is Mickey Rourke not winning the Oscar for The Wrestler. I believe Sean Penn got it that year for Milk. It was a good performance I will say, but Mickey Rourke should have easily on it.

American Beauty won in 2000. Best Picture, Best Director and best actor. No fucking way. Insider should have taken back picture, Spike Jonze and Being John Malkovich or Michael Mann for Insider for director and either Russell Crowe ( for Insider) or Denzel Washington (for Hurricane) over Spacey for Actor.

Off the top of my head, I keep asking myself how come Woody Allen keeps getting Oscar wins and nominations. He's won the Oscar for Best Director once for the film Annie Hall in 1977 and he's won for Best Original Screenplay 3 times for Annie Hall, Hannah and Her Sisters and Midnight in Paris. Not counting the number he's been both nominated and won, he's been nominated another 20 times for Best Actor, Best Director or Best Original Screenplay. I just don't get it, I really don't. I've never found the guy remotely funny in any of his roles. I just simply don't get why Hollywood has had such a hard on for this guy for the past 35 years who, in my opinion, is a pretty mediocre talent.

One of the biggest snubs for me personally was that Lee J. Cobb wasn't nominated for his role as Juror #3 in the 1957 film adaptation of 12 Angry Men. Cobb's character was an insensitive, hateful, stubborn, opinionated, antagonistic asshole that you just wanted to reach through the screen and choke. He played it to perfection and had just enough attitude infused into the character to even make him a little intimidating. The movie wasn't some mega blockbuster, it was a movie that relied 100% on the performances of the 12 men who made up the jury deciding a capital murder case.

Aside from ones already mentioned, the one that springs to mind is in 1994 where Forrest Gump bested The Shawshank Redemption for the Best Film choice. Hanks definitely deserved the Best Actor win for his performance, but the film itself just feels underwhelming in comparison to Shawshank, which many consider to be one of the greatest films of all time.

Recent ones I'd include are Ben Affleck getting snubbed for directing Argo; Joaquin Phoenix not even getting nominated for Her; Alan Rickman not having a nomination for his work as Snape in the Harry Potter franchise. There was another I thought of, but it's gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back