Greta Gerwig, Lady Bird

Jordan Peele, Get Out

Paul Thomas Anderson, Phantom Thread

BEST ACTOR

Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour

Timothée Chalamet, Call Me By Your Name

Daniel Day-Lewis, Phantom Thread

Daniel Kaluuya, Get Out

Denzel Washington, Roman J. Israel, Esq.

BEST ACTRESS

Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Saoirse Ronan, Lady Bird

Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water

Meryl Streep, The Post

Margot Robbie, I, Tonya

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Sam Rockwell, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Willem Dafoe, The Florida Project

Richard Jenkins, The Shape of Water

Christopher Plummer, All the Money in the World

Woody Harrelson, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Laurie Metcalf, Lady Bird

Allison Janney, I, Tonya

Mary J. Blige, Mudbound

Octavia Spencer, The Shape of Water

Leslie Manville, Phantom Thread

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

Call Me By Your Name

Mudbound

Molly's Game

The Disaster Artist

Logan

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Lady Bird

Get Out

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

The Shape of Water

The Big Sick

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

Coco

The Breadwinner

Loving Vincent

Ferdinand

The Boss Baby

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

Roger Deakins, Blade Runner 2049

Hoyte van Hoytema, Dunkirk

Dan Laustsen, The Shape of Water

Rachel Morrison, Mudbound

Bruno Delbonnel, Darkest Hour

BEST COSTUME DESIGN

Phantom Thread

Beauty and the Beast

Victoria & Abdul

Darkest Hour

The Shape of Water

BEST FILM EDITING

Dunkirk

The Shape of Water

Baby Driver

I, Tonya

BEST MAKEUP & HAIRSTYLING

Darkest Hour

Wonder

Victoria & Abdul

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN

The Shape of Water

Blade Runner 2049

Dunkirk

Darkest Hour

Beauty and the Beast

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

The Shape of Water

Dunkirk

Phantom Thread

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

BEST ORIGINAL SONG

"Mystery of Love," Call Me By Your Name (Sufjan Stevens)

"Remember Me," Coco (Kristen Anderson-Lopez, Robert Lopez)

"This Is Me," The Greatest Showman (Benj Pasek, Justin Paul)

"Stand Up for Something," Marshall (Diane Warren, Common)

"Mighty River," Mudbound (Mary J. Blige)

BEST SOUND EDITING

Dunkirk

Blade Runner 2049

Baby Driver

The Shape of Water

BEST SOUND MIXING

Dunkirk

Blade Runner 2049

The Shape of Water

Baby Driver

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Blade Runner 2049

War for the Planet of the Apes

Kong: Skull Island

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

Abacus: Small Enough to Jail

Faces Places

Strong Island

Icarus

Last Men in Aleppo

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

A Fantastic Woman

The Square

Loveless

The Insult

On Body And Soul

BEST ANIMATED SHORT

Garden Party

Dear Basketball

Revolting Rhymes

Lou

Negative Space

BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT

Heroin(e)

Edith+Eddie

Heaven Is a Traffic Jam on the 405

Knife Skills

Traffic Stop

BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT

DeKalb Elementary

The Silent Child

Watu Wote/All of Us

My Nephew Emmett

The Eleven O'Clock

Genuinely shocked Get Out received a nomination for Best Picture, and I see lot of horror fans are complaining about snubs for It. I loved It, but Get Out is the film that's going to appeal to The Academy more, if we're comparing the two. While It was more adventurous and tense, Get Out will be viewed as a socially conscious and smart horror film about racism. I wasn't a big fan of the reveal at the end, but there's no denying Get Out is a deeper and more thought-provoking film.

I've also seen a lot of complaints about snubs for Wonder Woman, but I just don't see it. I understand why the movie received tons of praise, but for me, Wonder Woman was by far one of the most overrated films from any genre in 2017.

James Franco was good in The Disaster Artist, but I have to believe there was no way they were going to take a chance on rewarding him after the allegations. The Academy finally silenced Oscars So White, so I can't imagine them taking a chance on throwing themselves into another controversy.

Richard Jenkins was good in The Shape Of Water, but Michael Shannon delivered the better performance. I'm pulling for Sally Hawkins, and while I always knew it was a longshot for Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart landing nominations, I'm glad Logan received some recognition for Best Adapted Screenplay.

I haven't seen The Post yet, but I'm not surprised Meryl Streep is nominated for Best Actress, because The Academy just can't resist the urge to nominate Streep for something.

I saw Call Me By Your Name immediately after a all night horror screening, I'll have to give it another go at some point.

Darkest Hour & The Post are painfully mediocre. The sort of Academy bait that gets nominated but you won't remember come Spring.

The Get Out nominations seem out of place, almost like they're filling a diversity quota.

Day-Lewis will be the surprise winner of the best actor. They won't miss an opportunity to give him another award now he's retired. And I haven't seen Phantom Thread but I'm going to guess his performance is more nuanced and gimmicky that Oldman as Churchill.

Plummer for supporting actor. Got to teach Spacey a lesson. It could have been yours, Kev!

The only foreign language nominee I've seen so far is On Body and Soul and I heartily recommend it.

Ferdinand is better than expected, yet shouldn't be in contention for best animated film . That said, if Cena can Wrestle the statue off one of the producers and then show up on Raw with it I'll be happy.

Sad that Franco didn't get any nomination for Disaster Artist, he stood a good chance of being close competition with the man who seems to be the favourite, Gary Oldman. Could see the Oscars go for a surprise winner though, it's not like they've never done it before.

Also, Dunkirk bored me to tears. Terribly bland screenplay that was second fiddle to the decent, but not spectacular special effects. I cannot for the life of me get into war movies without good character development. You need far more meat to a movie than just "War is bad."

Get Out getting four nominations in such major categories was sort of surprising considering that it's a horror film. However, it's also quite possibly the best reviewed move of 2017, it's got a 99% fresh rating at Rotten Tomatoes.

I don't see what all the love for the Shape of Water is all about. I genuinely don't as it ultimately comes down a mute woman fucking the Gill Man. I think del Toro is the favorite to win Best Director at this point.

It must be in Meryl Streep's contract that she gets nominated every time she makes a movie.

Oldman has to be the favorite to win for Best Actor though don't be surprised if Daniel Day-Lewis wins it as the Academy can honor him one more time due to his retirement.

It's cool to see Logan nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay, also something of a surprise when you think about it. I still think Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart both deserved nominations.

Last Jedi should win best visual effects for one scene alone....

*spoiler*

Incredible opening aside, I'm talking about the hyperspace sacrifice that obliterated the perusing First Order fleet followed by breathless silence. One of the best scenes in all of Star Wars.

My opinions on best don't matter since I only saw Get Out, Last Jedi, GoG 2, and Kong from that list. I really like Get Out though and would love to see it win. I wouldn't call it a horror movie at all though. Suspense, sci-fi, social commentary, or comedy seems more appropriate but even those don't feel right. And that was part of the appeal I think. The movie never really defined itself, it just did everything well. Brian Williams kid drinking milk and listening to Time of My Life is one of the most memorable scenes in a movie I can remember.

Get Out is going to be remembered for a very, very long time. For that it has a fair monopoly over the other nominations, save the Del Toro exception.

Meryl Streep could shit in a baby's crib and trade it in for an Oscar as long as it was recorded.

The Boss Baby??? You're shitting me. The Lego Batman Movie was snubbed.

Personally, I really want Get Out to win Best Movie, it won't happen but just because it is genuinely the best film I've seen in the last 2 years. Is it "diversity at work?" maybe, but reality is the film deserves to be rewarded. I can't honestly say Best Actor of the year, but I'd much prefer it to DDL winning for sneezing on camera again... Oldman would be too much "his turn", even if the performance was excellent... Daniel winning for Get Out would be refreshing and show that it IS about the role, not what you've done before/rep.

The idea of "punishing" people or Timesup is interesting as before Spaceygate I'd have said Baby Driver was a shoe-in to be nominated for at least Best Picture/Director. It's a shame that these allegations are so overtly infulencing who gets awarded... it's not Edgar Wright's fault Spacey is an old lech...

Was also a little surprised not to see Wind River nominated, they normally go for that sort of thing...and I thought Grahame Greene really deserved something for it.

Can see a double sweep for I Tonya's women, Margot and Alison Janney in particular made that movie work... am really pulling for Sam Rockwell as you just know he'll dance if he wins... I'm just glad there's no Tom Hanks or Mark Rylance this year, Streep and Lewis are bad enough... not seen the Denzel film yet, but even he's starting to push it for awards a bit...

I enjoyed Get Out go for what it was, but I can't call it a horror movie. But I would like to see Jordan Peele win for best director. Also, after seeing I , Tonya, I get the feeling that both Margot Robbie and Allison Janney will win in their respective acting categories. As far as Denzel goes, he manages to get nominated almost every year. Aside from Fences, movies he's nominated for really don't have much fanfare. I look at his role in Flight, and didn't think it was his best work, but they gave him the nod just because. Can't call it on Roman J. Israel, Esq since I've yet to see it.

Has anyone seen Three Billboards? I've heard a lot and I mean a lot of mixed reviews on it, but the chief complaint I tend to hear is that it tries to rationalize racism and tries to paint the racist police force as sympathetic.

Has anyone seen Three Billboards? I've heard a lot and I mean a lot of mixed reviews on it, but the chief complaint I tend to hear is that it tries to rationalize racism and tries to paint the racist police force as sympathetic.

I read the synopsis on this the other day, and I think the movie is more about the overall failure of the justice system. Didn't see it, nor do I think I will, but I don't think there's much in the racism department in this flick. Could be wrong though.

From what I remember, Sam Rockwell's character had a history of harassing and profiling black people, and I think he had an incident, where he had no real evidence or a reason to do it, but he attacked and beat up a couple of black guys. There's also the ironic replacement with the black police chief, and I'm guessing the sympathy stuff comes from Rockwell's character realizing he's a jerk, and wanting to change, so he can become a better person, while helping Frances McDormand's character.

I only watched it in theaters once a couple of months ago, but I don't remember the story focusing on racism that much. The main story is about McDormand determined and willing to do anything to find answers and justice, McDormand raising her son, her relationship with her ex-husband, and everything going on with Woody Harrelson falls behind that.

I read the synopsis on this the other day, and I think the movie is more about the overall failure of the justice system. Didn't see it, nor do I think I will, but I don't think there's much in the racism department in this flick. Could be wrong though.

The best movie of the year, imo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back